Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Morpheus posted:

Are these actual rumours or is it just a lot of hopeful people saying 'boy it'd be pretty neat to have Alyx on this thing'?

It’s the latter because Alyx is really the only attempt at a real AAA VR game.

It’s alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The wulver execution animation is so ridiculously over-the-top that it goes beyond violent and wraps around to cartoonish. I keep expecting the wulver to make a looney tunes *blink* *blink* before it falls over

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m only a few hours into Ragnarok but I’m loving it so much. The opening is just, wow. It’s a lot. I didn’t expect to loving cry in the first hour of this game. While the scene with Atreus and Fenrir was playing out my dog was hanging out under the tv just sort of panting and staring at me with a happy face and oh god, it really got to me. She’s extremely healthy and active but 13 years old, and man, that scene hit. I’m getting teary eyed just typing this. You could say it’s an easy emotional pull they went for but it was so well done. Right off the bat you’re taken into Atreus’ current situation. He’s a teen, he’s more capable than ever but still trying to catch up with the reality of life and his world as a whole.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Ragnarok kicks rear end, better experience than 2018 in almost every way. It's one of the finest games released in the last half decade, so good it even improves 2018 merely by association. The refinements to camera, accessibility, sidequests, combat, traversal, progression, and puzzles are glorious. The level of detail in the world is wild, and the journey is full of surprises, cool boss fights, cinematic moments, big side area reveals, and unexpected mythological callbacks. Rated purely as a technical achievement in the action brawler genre it has few equals, but it's also very cool to see how they incorporated criticism from the first game and influences from other games since 2018 like Sekiro and even Elden Ring. Every time I get a perfect parry interrupt with the Dauntless Shield I feel the very same endorphin rush that Sekiro gave me when pulling off the final blow on a boss, it's unreal. Additionally, Ragnarok's dedication to integrating its weapons into platforming and traversal in the game-y-est manner at every turn really is a marvel of numerous careful game design decisions. If Elden Ring hadn't released this year Ragnarok would handily take goty. As it stands I have a hard decision on my hands, both games are super ambitious, both are the full package as far as what they set out to accomplish. I've been up til 5 in the morning playing this poo poo for days now, I'm at over 33 hours and still finding new areas!

Really glad you’re enjoying this one so much! :D

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I agree with so much of this and it’s so SO weird when I see people say “it’s just more of the same” and “it isn’t grabbing me compared to 2018” when they have upped their game by genuinely every single conceivable metric except like, knowing what’s behind you.

Randallteal posted:

Yeah now that you mention it Elden Ring was unfriendly to the player and didn't respect their time. Impressive for what it was, but ultimately very eighth-gen design

me reading this post

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
If I wanted games to be my friends, I wouldn't be trying to beat them

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Randallteal posted:

Yeah now that you mention it Elden Ring was unfriendly to the player and didn't respect their time. Impressive for what it was, but ultimately very eighth-gen design

While I still think Elden Ring might be my personal GotY, I'd be more inclined to recommend God of War Ragnarok to casual gamers for some of these reasons. I'll be the first to admit that I have no problems with games that won't hold your hand, but they aren't for everybody.

I think GoW Rag takes hand holding a little too far - I often find that Atreus spoils the puzzles and where to go way too quickly and often, making it feels too much like I'm just going from point A to point B.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Elden Ring is, from one point of view, about as respectful to the players’ time as it gets while still being a game with cutscenes etc. You’re always exploring, fighting, thinking, discovering, learning. None of this bullshit oh let’s take five minutes to talk about how a dwarf is sad jk I love that bullshit

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Elden Ring is, from one point of view, about as respectful to the players’ time as it gets while still being a game with cutscenes etc. You’re always exploring, fighting, thinking, discovering, learning. None of this bullshit oh let’s take five minutes to talk about how a dwarf is sad

:hai:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Elden Ring is so much better than every other game to come out this year and probably this decade that it's sickening.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Escobarbarian posted:

I agree with so much of this and it’s so SO weird when I see people say “it’s just more of the same” and “it isn’t grabbing me compared to 2018” when they have upped their game by genuinely every single conceivable metric except like, knowing what’s behind you.

Agreeing with this for sure so far, not that I’m far in. I honestly really like that they nailed down a very solid formula and style in the 2018 “reboot” and stuck to what worked while improving nearly everything in the game. It honestly feels like a very Japanese game design approach. I dig it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I remember in GoW2018 my biggest complaint was that Kratos moved like a truck and made the faster bosses a pain in the rear end. They definitely made him feel more mobile this go-around.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really like how much more nimble Kratos feels. I even only turned the camera sensitivity up one notch instead of my usual two!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I appreciate that he feels quicker, more responsive but still has that satisfying weight behind everything like in 2018. The game feels very good in the hand. Button presses are satisfying, the haptics add a lot to it too of course.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I bought Elden Ring when it launched but haven't actually tried playing it yet
I have this irrational fear that it's a direct sequel to Eternal Ring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pchPmNRl6PU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Elden Ring could've been better with less repeated content, fewer open world areas with little in them, and side dungeons. The "legacy dungeons" were definitely the high points of the game and I'm hoping that the DLCs are just straight-up "go through a portal into this legacy dungeon, remain there for the entire DLC".

Gort fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 16, 2022

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t necessarily agree with your first point but that’s definitely what I’m hoping for with the DLC

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gort posted:

Elden Ring could've been better

disagree

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
elden ring didnt really do anything particularly groundbreaking but what it does is executed very well and that seems to be the theme of this year because horizon and boy are very much the same

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Elden Ring was pretty good but ultimately I can't say it matched the emotional heights of Super Monkey Ball 2.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Casnorf posted:

elden ring didnt really do anything particularly groundbreaking

The horse can double jump and that makes the open world a bit less tedious

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

which means despite how much i like all of them they are a solid 8/10 each because what i value is ambition and none of them have really any

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

FireWorksWell posted:

The horse can double jump and that makes the open world a bit less tedious

If your qualification is "less tedious" then the solution isn't "add thing." It is very much "make the open world more interesting to traverse." Movement abilities and traversal abilities are a band-aid over lazy and disinterested level design unless integrated fully with the gameplay, like in a metroidvania.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Casnorf posted:

elden ring didnt really do anything particularly groundbreaking but what it does is executed very well and that seems to be the theme of this year because horizon and boy are very much the same

This is a fair point

exquisite tea posted:

Elden Ring was pretty good but ultimately I can't say it matched the emotional heights of Super Monkey Ball 2.

So is this

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Casnorf posted:

what i value is ambition

I've got a Star Citizen to sell you

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The one story development I’m really hoping for with Ragnarok is that the Mask turns out to be the same mask from The Mask

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Gort posted:

Elden Ring could've been better with less repeated content, fewer open world areas with little in them, and side dungeons. The "legacy dungeons" were definitely the high points of the game and I'm hoping that the DLCs are just straight-up "go through a portal into this legacy dungeon, remain there for the entire DLC".

I've been playing Demon's Souls recently and it feels pretty much like all the high points of Elden Ring. I don't really miss the open world.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Yeah, it's the biggest deterrent for me replaying. I'm glad I played through it once though

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

If you're replaying you can skip a lot of stuff, though. You really only need to do the open world and side dungeons in one playthrough, after that you can just hit up the main dungeons and bosses, and a lot of those can be skipped as well.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Elden Ring is a pretty quick replay on NG+ since you don't have to waste time reacquiring gear in the catacombs/caves and can just mainline the legacy dungeons. Mountaintops of the Giants still duh-raaags though, totally unnecessary zone.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Gort posted:

I've got a Star Citizen to sell you

Ambition in a product I can play, not the wild-eyed rantings of a has-been grifter. But I appreciate the prompt for clarification. I wanna see developers try something whether it works or doesn't for me. I want to see more games that don't care whether or not I personally like it, but do the gently caress out of whatever they're doing. I may not like or rabidly proselytize Undertale but I do loving respect it for sticking to its guns. So to speak, hahaha.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Gort posted:

If you're replaying you can skip a lot of stuff, though. You really only need to do the open world and side dungeons in one playthrough, after that you can just hit up the main dungeons and bosses, and a lot of those can be skipped as well.

this is not the defense you think it is okay so i know you love playing this game so the thing that makes it best is not playing it

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Elden Ring is the first Souls/From game that I’ve really gotten into, I’m 25 hours in and it’s really gotten it’s hooks into me. That being said, I don’t love how little the game explains some of its systems. It’d be nice if there was something optional in the menus that explains things like weapon scaling that aren’t super obvious.

Most of it can be figured out through trial and error, but as someone that doesn’t have a ton of time for gaming I’d rather have a resource available so I don’t waste my only hour of game time for the day. I’m just going to look it up on the internet anyway, I’d rather that sort of thing just be in the game. But I do love the game and how hands off it is with the player, overall it’s an incredible experience. I’m already trying to decide which From game to play next, I’m thinking Bloodborne because it’s free on PSN

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Casnorf posted:

this is not the defense you think it is okay so i know you love playing this game so the thing that makes it best is not playing it

Eh, "You can skip the bad bits" seems like a reasonable response to "I'd replay the game if I didn't have to play the bad bits" to me

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

e; no no no!!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

The one story development I’m really hoping for with Ragnarok is that the Mask turns out to be the same mask from The Mask

:same:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m only a few hours into Ragnarok but I’m loving it so much. The opening is just, wow. It’s a lot. I didn’t expect to loving cry in the first hour of this game. While the scene with Atreus and Fenrir was playing out my dog was hanging out under the tv just sort of panting and staring at me with a happy face and oh god, it really got to me. She’s extremely healthy and active but 13 years old, and man, that scene hit. I’m getting teary eyed just typing this. You could say it’s an easy emotional pull they went for but it was so well done. Right off the bat you’re taken into Atreus’ current situation. He’s a teen, he’s more capable than ever but still trying to catch up with the reality of life and his world as a whole.

Hell yeah, enjoy it! Game is good af and enjoyable all the way through.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

God I hope so.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Gort posted:

Eh, "You can skip the bad bits" seems like a reasonable response to "I'd replay the game if I didn't have to play the bad bits" to me

what you described skipping was basically the entire game

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah you did kind of say “the open areas and side dungeons, and also a lot of the main dungeons and bosses”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

yep, on a replay you can skip a lot of Elden Ring

you can pick and choose, experiencing a curated, artisanal Elden Ring experience