Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Ya but they turned 1 year of control into 9! Atkins does it again!!!

Macko's an actual prospect and not just a lottery ticket so maybe it works out.

I was pretty confident Swanson would continue to be a good bullpen arm for at least another season or two based on how he pitches and how he was used in Seattle. No idea if the Jays generally keep guys shortened up to 3-4 outs per appearance though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Its clearly to cut his 15 million off of the payroll. Otherwise you would just pay a reliever in FA.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Its clearly to cut his 15 million off of the payroll. Otherwise you would just pay a reliever in FA.

Sometimes being cheap can work out!

I think the Mariners got the best side of this but it's not purely a dump for nothing and I like Swanson

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

I really thought Gurriel would be the outfielder that goes

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Sometimes being cheap can work out!

I think the Mariners got the best side of this but it's not purely a dump for nothing and I like Swanson

Swanson was good last year but he's still a reliever and if he sucks next year they'll cut him loose. Its bad process on its face, but it really depends on what happens next.

The Jays are down to around 175 million after arbitration raises now, which leaves them 40 million or so to spend if the 215 million payroll number reporters have thrown around is accurate. Could get them Nimmo and a #4 starter.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Gerblederp posted:

I really thought Gurriel would be the outfielder that goes

So did I.

I would assume that they have some sort of follow up plan since they are theoretically trying to compete. And maybe they really think that 2022 Hernandez is more the future than 2021 or 2020, which means he wouldn't be so irreplaceable. But it also really looks like, as darude - adam sandstorm wrote, this is first and foremost a cost cutting move.

At least they got another middle reliever.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Losing Swanson isn't nothing, but the Mariners need outfielders, so this trade makes sense.

Hopefully Teoscar continues to produce and they can lock him up for a bit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Swanson has some elite numbers
https://twitter.com/bnicholsonsmith/status/1592911505854369792

He only pitched one inning in the playoffs Seems like a superfluous arm they couldn't find a place for which makes him an ideal trade piece. Hope Teoscar Hernandez sucks!

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
I think the playoffs just shook out in a way where there wasn't much of a spot for him.

Scott was really, really into pitching matchups and drilling deep down into poo poo for the Astros series and they worked the hell out of Munoz/Brash/Sewald.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I think the playoffs just shook out in a way where there wasn't much of a spot for him.

Scott was really, really into pitching matchups and drilling deep down into poo poo for the Astros series and they worked the hell out of Munoz/Brash/Sewald.

He's the Mariner's Stanek, but I bet he can't house a beast tallboy as fast as Ryne

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/ToddZolecki/status/1592918853432258560

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

He should be able to return as a DH near the beginning of the season if all goes well.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/ShiDavidi/status/1592953081612087296

UHHHHH

I know that GM's spew bullshit always but lmao no they can't.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

https://twitter.com/ShiDavidi/status/1592953081612087296

UHHHHH

I know that GM's spew bullshit always but lmao no they can't.

It's Whit Merrifield's time to shine!

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I wonder if Verlander would take an incentive-based contract? Say 3 years/$120M, but the 3rd year is an option that only becomes guaranteed if he pitches 120 innings in '23 and '24 and doesn't have elbow surgery? That would give his new team some insurance against signing a 40 year old coming off TJS.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Intruder posted:

From an Astros perspective since that's where he's coming from and they want to bring him back, given their pitching depth and pressing needs elsewhere I wouldn't want to bring him back at that AAV unless Crane is willing to go deep into the tax (which I doubt he is)

A team like the O's, Guardians, M's, Brewers with a lower payroll that's close and needs that one or two pieces may be more likely. Though I suspect the M's are gonna blow their wad on Correa instead

Coming in late on this, but there’s a better chance of Cleveland signing my 7 year old daughter to play first base than there is of them signing Justin Verlander. He would literally represent 80% of their 2022 payroll.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm sure plenty of teams would like to offer JV that deal but if you were him would you take it? Because all the risk is on his side, and he already signed a deal like that with the Astros (though it was a total mystery if he'd come back dominant when he signed that deal). I said last week that someone is going to offer him 3/130 and I don't see anything that changes that math. Welcome to the Mets, Justin Verlander.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Oh my god, two people voted for Aaron Boone for Manager of the Year!

https://www.reddit.com/r/baseball/comments/ywdqbx/tito_wins_al_moty/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Hmm. Is George Springer going to get moved off CF?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/BrendanKutyNJ/status/1592973706384781312

lol @ rizzo subtweeting the cubs

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Don’t put that on the Mets

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The only former "core" Cubs player who was any good this year was Rizzo, and that was mostly because he blooped a bunch of dinky HR's into the short porch. Also :lol: at whining about "what they deserve" when he declined a 4/60 extension by the Cubs and now will get at the absolute maximum 4/67 from the Yankees including 2022, if they pick up his option in 2025. Not like you bet on yourself and flipped the finger to the Cubs by picking up a massively larger payday, buddy.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 16, 2022

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Good trade Mariners. Now spend money assholes

Swanson was good last year but he's still a reliever and if he sucks next year they'll cut him loose. Its bad process on its face, but it really depends on what happens next.

The Jays are down to around 175 million after arbitration raises now, which leaves them 40 million or so to spend if the 215 million payroll number reporters have thrown around is accurate. Could get them Nimmo and a #4 starter.

Lol the Mariners could add a 30mil a year player and still not be at 175mil

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 16, 2022

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rumor appears to be that the Blue Jays are in on Nimmo now

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Its Rinaldo posted:

Good trade Mariners. Now spend money assholes

Lol the Mariners could add a 30mil a year player and still not be at 175mil

Judge for left field? Can he play left? Can Teoscar?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Well deserved since he drug those bums all the way to an ALCS appearance imo

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
https://twitter.com/BillShaikin/status/1592929960293195776

i'm sure it's just a coincidence

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

There's basically no way he resigns with the Angels -- they don't have the financial flexibility to both pay him and put together a team that he wants to be on. When he came over, he needed to find a team that would let him pitch and hit, but now that he's proven what he can do, that's not a concern.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
He's gonna be a Cub

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Popete posted:

He's gonna be a Mariner

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

oof

https://twitter.com/finklebone/status/1592937715691290624

I'm not a Yankees' fan, but I'd totally be on board for endless 1-year megadeals

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Popete posted:

He's gonna be a Marlin

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/MrUram/status/1592983577427607552

This is dumb, because a few extra rooms rented from a Holiday Inn don't actually do anything for working people. It just comes off as justifying taxpayer-financing of stadiums.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Wow only nine more WS to go before it's the equivalent of the taxpayer portion of the stadium or whatever

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Carlos Rodon had a higher Fangraphs WAR than Justin Verlander and Sandy Alcantara. Just a random fact I found interesting.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

OK, Pedro Martinez telling Alcantara he won is pretty cool

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

Carlos Rodon had a higher Fangraphs WAR than Justin Verlander and Sandy Alcantara. Just a random fact I found interesting.
basing pitcher WAR on FIP is outdated and dumb now

If you want a pitcher metric stripped of batted ball luck, then it starts with xERA

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Rodon: 178 IP, 2.64 xERA, 6.2 fWAR
Verlander: 175 IP, 2.66 xERA, 6.1 fWAR

Seems fine to me, they were functionally the same pitcher this year by expected stats and IP, but Rodon ever so slightly edges Verlander out.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

https://twitter.com/dril/status/549425182767861760

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
still cant believe they disrespected our perfect boy by not making him a CYA finalist.