Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Chainclaw posted:

you underestimate how many weirdos there are that think the weird app they are working on is going to somehow save and change the world, so they absolutely want to work 100 hour weeks on it. You could talk to a dude who's building an app to use machine learning to analyze farts and create NFTs of your farts and they'll be absolutely convinced that somehow their work is Important and they absolutely need to sleep at the office to do it.

Plus you have managers who once they get one employee like this, they think everyone should be like this, and someone who just shows up and does their job as described is suddenly not working hard enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

bobjr posted:

Plus you have managers who once they get one employee like this, they think everyone should be like this, and someone who just shows up and does their job as described is suddenly not working hard enough

Ah yes, quiet quitting

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

when will we see Yilong-1

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
"Everyone will have to work long hours because we laid off half the staff" sure is a message to end your employees.

Several years ago I worked at a company that tried this. Managers pulled everyone into their offices and said "the new standard will be 55 hour weeks". No pay or benefit increases, just "the economy is kind of bad so we need to work harder".

I said "LOL no" and got laid off a couple of weeks later, as did anyone else who was reluctant about the new hours -- roughly a third of the company. Within a couple of months, over half of the remaining engineers had quit, including people who had become single-point-of-failure knowledge bases for critical systems.

I'm sure some Elon TRUE BELIEVERS will stay, as will employees who are too young/fresh out of school to realize that working for capital-T Twitter isn't as big a deal as they thought. But I'd bet the vast majority are just hanging on, saying "yes Elon whatever you say Elon" and collecting a paycheck while they interview elsewhere.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

MikeJF posted:

The Artrmis program will never change because SLS is just a pork barrel machine and they'll never divert to something else that isn't the existing pork.

NASA could have made a really good rocket and advanced rocketry like SpaceX did but even better if they weren't basically given a list of pork components by Congress and told to try to scrape it into a usable rocket. Space stuff isn't the reason NASA exists in the eyes of Congress anymore, it's just a thing to spend money in the right places, and in the meantime the people working there try their hardest to do some good science and engineering in between.

amazing this comment went by with only one LOL.

lmao

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

SuddenCactus posted:

https://twitter.com/GergelyOrosz/status/1592801188277538818

High intensity coding! Two people using the same keyboard at the same time!

Not the same thing, but pretty much every wrestling promotion branding itself as "Extreme Hardcore" has died a pathetic death. Not a promising look.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Later: "You clicked yes on hardcore!! That was legally binding!!"

Lawyers, adding to the pile: lol

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

So this was part of some sort of prank where these two walked outside Twitter HQ pretending they were fired, which was pretty believable because it was the same time that loads of employees were finding themselves out of a job, and got on the news apparently? Seems kind of lovely to invite them back to the office for a photo that ends up kind of mocking the huge amount of people who he laid off

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Musk: And what's your name, little lady?

Rahul: Ligma Butt.

Edit: I missed that Trump's "Ligma Johnson" was intentional. He'd actually fired these two then used his power to publicly humiliate them. What a *&%# scumbag.

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 16, 2022

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

This is some very on-brand completely unusable and gimmicky reinvention of the wheel

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

bobjr posted:

And if there is a a distinct problem with places like California, it's the distinct lack of merciless bullying of people like that. The failure to ostracize someone because they insist their NFartTs are gonna revolutionize the world is why we're gonna be able to measure the impact of lovely monkey art for braindead bros in a chart of the planet's average temp.

Like god drat if there isn't anything I dislike more in my field. Be proud of your work, sure, but you don't hear carpenters out there saying their tables are gonna end world hunger. They just make nice tables.

But I guess when you and everyone around you is an Adderall addicted narcissist, this is the poo poo we get.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/themaxburns/status/1592907779316252672?s=21

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
The follow up is even better

https://mobile.twitter.com/themaxburns/status/1592907968131239941

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Holy poo poo he's gone sov cit

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
So his argument is all legal judgements are invalid?

"I'm not paying those families anything, I was under duress!" seems like an Alex Jones argument

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Well that's going to go over well with federal regulators.

Does this mean the "agree to be slaves or get fired" message is invalid? 🤣

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 16, 2022

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

“If you’re in enough lawsuits” :laffo:

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2Z0Y3Kk8nU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Kingo Ligma posted:

Most civilized countries have defacto/ common law/ whatever after a reasonable amount of time spent living together (fair bit less than 7 years lol).

"You accidentally married your flatmate lol!!!1!!" sounds like one of those uniquely stupid talking points Americans like to constantly make up to stay as backwards as possible.

Common law was a way to deal with people not actually being married because the minister faked his license or they couldn’t make it to a courthouse because they were on the frontier or they were illiterate and couldn’t read the marriage license or didn’t fill it out correctly. It’s not really something that fulfills that purpose anymore in the age of cars, omnipresent government, and widespread literacy.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Azhais posted:

So his argument is all legal judgements are invalid?

"I'm not paying those families anything, I was under duress!" seems like an Alex Jones argument

"One weird trick lawyers hate"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He is determined to gently caress about and find out in as many ways as possible.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I really really want the lawyer to ask about if he has the same attitude towards other things like for example SpaceX and ITAR.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
The government is nothing but duress your honor so I consider this all a kangaroo court

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

SuddenCactus posted:

High intensity coding! Two people using the same keyboard at the same time!

he is definitely expecting a lot of people to take this offer.

i think in his head he wants to run twitter with 150 people or whatever number of software staff he says he has at tesla, which seems to be all you need to swindle customers out of $15,000 for a self-driving feature that is 5 years overdue and will never actually work. at tesla it's not about what size software team you need to build a good product, it's how many you need to sell a convincing grift with some shiny demos. that's the business model he is the most successful with and it's what he'll try to replicate. firing half the twitter staff was only the first step, i think, and 80-90% is probably the real target he has in mind.

the real lurking issue isn't the backend though, it's moderation. that's the part that's the most labor intensive and the most delicate for a global social network, not how many engineers you have. the website going down for a day or having intermittent performance issues is not going to kill twitter, but being barred from operating in countries that have functioning governments because the first 10 replies to every politician's tweet are from verified antisemitic bot accounts could kill twitter. the (mostly low-paid contract) people who do that job are the real front-line essential workers, and the engineers who supported those teams were already fired.

it's mindbogglingly stupid that he's already cut so many teams and contractors that do the actual police work that keeps the site's most visible areas (mostly) free of the worst kinds of advertising and regulatory poison -- particularly foreign teams and the PR/outreach teams with connections to regulatory bodies that might be able to smooth over issues. my guess is he will promise that AI can do all the moderation, again because that's all the tesla grifters know, and Full Self Moderation is always going to be right around the corner. it will never work, and unlike tesla customers, the users and advertisers at twitter aren't yet a self-selected group of musk acolytes who will pretend everything is fine.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

The government is nothing but duress your honor so I consider this all a kangaroo court

Before this week "Elon Musk buys a disused floating oil derrick and declares it a sovereign nation" wasn't even on my radar, but now it seems like a real possibility.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
Yeah this Twitter 2.0 thing is just the final loyalty test where everything said implicitly so far is now said explicitly and in writing with an easy opt out. Maybe they hadn’t wanted to make things so explicit but the vibes internally must be pretty antagonistic.

Musk vastly underestimates the amount of people he needs to keep the site working. I assume he thinks well if we can’t turn it around in the next month we will rewrite it. Classic insane deadline manager stuff touted by an narcissist who fundamentally can’t understand that something might be more difficult and complicated than it appeared to him on first blush.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Mods could we make this image the thread background

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020
John McAfee was the original Elon Musk

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005

jesus, can they design a single loving thing that isn't wildly impractical and annoying to use

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Not in tech so maybe I'm totally off base here, but everyone I know who is in tech thinks Elon is a total chucklefuck and makes me wonder if staying on board for HARDCORE TWITTER might make your resume actually look worse compared to everyone who noped out

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

It's a typo. They are actually tipping glasses

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Crazy. They look identical to Tesla's "Sucker of the Year" award.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Elon could be a seasteader, but he seems more fixated on Mars. His dreams are just more Red Faction than Bioshock.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Mercury_Storm posted:

It's like looking through the bars into a zoo of idiot manchildren lol

but enough about GBS

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

WhiteHowler posted:

"Everyone will have to work long hours because we laid off half the staff" sure is a message to end your employees.

Several years ago I worked at a company that tried this. Managers pulled everyone into their offices and said "the new standard will be 55 hour weeks". No pay or benefit increases, just "the economy is kind of bad so we need to work harder".

I said "LOL no" and got laid off a couple of weeks later, as did anyone else who was reluctant about the new hours -- roughly a third of the company. Within a couple of months, over half of the remaining engineers had quit, including people who had become single-point-of-failure knowledge bases for critical systems.

I'm sure some Elon TRUE BELIEVERS will stay, as will employees who are too young/fresh out of school to realize that working for capital-T Twitter isn't as big a deal as they thought. But I'd bet the vast majority are just hanging on, saying "yes Elon whatever you say Elon" and collecting a paycheck while they interview elsewhere.

I want and do mostly agree with you but this is a bad time for the Twitter employees. So many tech and media companies are doing layoffs. Google, TikTok and Apple are probably the big ones that haven't done it yet. So there is going to be a lot of people looking for jobs all at once and a lot of companies are tightening their belt.

These twitter employees are skilled labour but even now skilled labour is getting cut across the board.

I am guessing Elon knows this and is turning the screws because he thinks he has leverage.

I hope i am wrong and i wish my fellow members of labour well but I would be nervous.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Mr Musk don’t you worry. I was watching Matlock in a bar last night. The sound wasn't on but I got the gist of it.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Enigma89 posted:

I want and do mostly agree with you but this is a bad time for the Twitter employees. So many tech and media companies are doing layoffs. Google, TikTok and Apple are probably the big ones that haven't done it yet. So there is going to be a lot of people looking for jobs all at once and a lot of companies are tightening their belt.

These twitter employees are skilled labour but even now skilled labour is getting cut across the board.

I am guessing Elon knows this and is turning the screws because he thinks he has leverage.

I hope i am wrong and i wish my fellow members of labour well but I would be nervous.

i'm not in web development, but at least in aerospace, you can walk to basically any contractor right now and get a job immediately. the job market is still very good for software if your skills go beyond front end javascript (and even then, it's probably not that bad)

e: the pay may not be as good, but the pay per hour will be if elon is demanding 80 hour weeks

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

So at this point everyone in Twitter Legal has either quit or jumped out of a building because holy poo poo you don't say that about consent decrees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
the tesla sipping glasses would make a great plot device for an episode of curb your enthusiasm