Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

fartknocker posted:

Yes, the conspiracy of International Refery is why the Raiders have been mostly crap for the last 20 years.

Thank you for recognizing this. I will send you a free copy of my newsletter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

MrLogan posted:

Thank you for recognizing this. I will send you a free copy of my newsletter.

No thanks, I can think of much more interesting and fun ways to end up on a government watch list.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I can't believe the referees held a gun to Al Davis' head and forced him to hire Art Shell and play Andrew Walter

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Benne posted:

I can't believe the referees held a gun to Al Davis' head and forced him to hire Art Shell and play Andrew Walter

That's how Ed Hochuli got his nickname

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

fartknocker posted:

No thanks, I can think of much more interesting and fun ways to end up on a government watch list.

are you volunteering to be a mod

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
WEEK 11 UPDATE

Hard to believe Thanksgiving is only a week away. Even harder to believe that the coaching carousel is spinning harder, though my latest rankings might not be as strong as expected this late into the season. Despite having two midseason firings, there are still a lot of things up in the air as we head down the stretch run. Let’s try to unpack it all.

COOL

Bill Belichick, New England Patriots
Sean McDermott, Buffalo Bills
Robert Saleh, New York Jets
John Harbaugh, Baltimore Ravens
Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers
Zac Taylor, Cincinnati Bengals
Mike Vrabel, Tennessee Titans
Andy Reid, Kansas City Chiefs
Nick Sirianni, Philadelphia Eagles
Mike McCarthy, Dallas Cowboys
Ron Rivera, Washington Commanders
Matt LaFleur, Green Bay Packers
Dan Campbell, Detroit Lions
Arthur Smith, Atlanta Falcons
Pete Carroll, Seattle Seahawks
Sean McVay, Los Angeles Rams
Kyle Shanahan, San Francisco 49ers

Rivera’s in safer territory with Washington surging into the thick of the playoff race. Shocking that a team got better once they stopped playing Carson Wentz. In other NFC East news, Mike pulled a classic Fat Mike last Sunday, but unless the Cowboys totally implode, I can’t move him down soon.

FIRST-YEAR COACHES

Mike McDaniel, Miami Dolphins
Doug Pederson, Jacksonville Jaguars
Lovie Smith, Houston Texans
Josh McDaniels, Las Vegas Raiders
Brian Daboll, New York Giants
Kevin O’Connell, Minnesota Vikings
Matt Eberflus, Chicago Bears
Todd Bowles, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Dennis Allen, New Orleans Saints

What makes this year’s hot seat watch so strange is that nearly all of the coaching drama revolves around first-year guys, which I’ve always been hesitant to heat up outside of massive disasters. So let’s just do quick hitters on the guys who are getting the most press right now.

McDaniels: Mark Davis gave the Dreaded Vote of Confidence after a humiliating loss to the Ted Lasso cosplayers in Indy. Owners famously lie all the time, but Davis seems pretty committed to this project into 2023, so for now, I’ll take him at face value.

Lovie: He’s clearly washed up, but even the Texans have to know it’s horrible optics to one-and-done a Black coach two years in a row. And if they don’t know, I’m sure the league office is whispering it to them.

Allen: I’m not sure who thought this would really work out anyway. The Saints need to rip off the Band-Aid and start their full post-Brees rebuild, but those cap numbers aren’t going away any time soon.

Bowles: He might win this poo poo-rear end division at 9-8. Whoop dee doo.

On the other end of the spectrum are a bunch of legitimate COTY contenders (McDaniel, O’Connell, Daboll). Weirdest coaching class I’ve seen in a long time.

MILD

Kevin Stefanski, Cleveland Browns – A rousing win over the Bengals quickly became a distant memory when the Browns once again no-showed in a beatdown by the Dolphins. It’s increasingly obvious that the nasty boy won’t save their season when he returns in Week 12.

Brandon Staley, Los Angeles Chargers – At some point injuries stop being an excuse for playing such dull, uninspiring football. The Chargers continue to waste Justin Herbert’s natural gifts and the defense hasn’t gotten any better. You rarely see worse vibes from a 5-4 team than this one.

Nathaniel Hackett, Denver Broncos – You were probably reading the first-year section above and thinking “where the hell is Hackett, you dumbass, Benne you absolute moron?” Because I’m actually smart and you should’ve read ahead first, silly! Hackett already burned through his goodwill/excuses weeks ago and yet another horrific performance, this time coming off a bye week, has the Broncos’ season on life support. And if this is the new normal for Russell Wilson, they’re stuck with one of the biggest contract boondoggles in NFL history. Have fun.

Kliff Kingsbury, Arizona Cardinals – In any sane organization, there’d be zero talk of a “QB controversy” after the backup leads a safe and capable win over the flat-lining Rams. But the Cardinals haven’t been sane all year, so we have to see ridiculous talk about Colt McCoy possibly running the offense better than their extremely rich starter. Even when they win, they don’t really win. And it’ll be Kliff’s fault if they can’t rebound back into the playoff picture.

Matt Rhule, Carolina Panthers (interim coach: Steve Wilks)

Frank Reich, Indianapolis Colts (interim coach: Jeff Saturday) – As expected, Reich took the fall for Indy’s offensive woes. What happened next was definitely not expected. Jim Irsay immediately turned the coaching search into a bizarre circus by pulling Saturday out of the ESPN studio, with zero coaching experience above the high school. This inspired some laughs, some deserved criticism from people who felt he jumped the line (particularly regarding the NFL’s continued issue with ignoring qualified minority candidates), and overall a lot of confusion as to the end game here. To make matters even more weird, they went and beat the Raiders with Matt Ryan back under center, and Jonathan Taylor returning to his dominant ways. Maybe we were the idiots for not seeing this genius vision all along? Whatever the case, the Colts are suddenly must-see TV, if not for the reasons they were hoping back in August.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

This is a bold claim a week after The Jeff Saturday Incident, but I think we might be done with any HC changes in-season. I can see all of those mild seats doing just enough to bob along in the type of purgatory that doesn't justify a mid-season punt. The Broncos can absolutely paper over the cracks by bungling their way to 5-6 truly miserable wins, looking at their schedule.

McDaniels should go, obviously, but I think there's merit in Mark Davis' loyalty/not being able to afford to fire him.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
I feel like Hackett have to be hotter than Mild. He has the extra issue of not being the new owners' hire and I feel like it's almost certain he gets fired because of that.

And I dunno, maybe Staley's seat should be getting hotter. The Chargers just feel like they're wasting Herbert (I know, injuries, etc.) and that's an unforgivable sin. Though maybe Lombardi just gets fired and Staley's seat is really hot next year. Looking totally uninspiring with Herbert at QB is an incredible feat.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Nov 16, 2022

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

There should be way more firings. Let’s goooo

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Hackett's in that tier where he's definitely getting fired unless he wins x games.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Hackett is hotter than mild. The owners didn't hire him, he looks like an idiot every week, and now apparently his QB is advocating to replace him.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Kingsbury also must be on the cusp of getting fired. Kyler Murray looks like rear end every time he's on the field, the Cards offense blows, and its been like this for years.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The only thing I agree with OP about at this point/for a while is it probably takes something drastic for any more mid-year firings

A lot of people will still go, but I expect all except maybe Hackett to come on Black Monday at earliest

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
There are 4 potential on and dones which is wild. Hackett, McDaniels, Dennis Allen, and Lovie all are atrocious HCs. Allen and Lovie are weird because they're almost full-time interims since they kept the same staff as the previous year.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Pron on VHS posted:

Kingsbury also must be on the cusp of getting fired. Kyler Murray looks like rear end every time he's on the field, the Cards offense blows, and its been like this for years.
He just got an extension this past offseason. I'm not saying he wont get fired, but I dont think he will get fired.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Woozie66 posted:

There are 4 potential on and dones which is wild. Hackett, McDaniels, Dennis Allen, and Lovie all are atrocious HCs. Allen and Lovie are weird because they're almost full-time interims since they kept the same staff as the previous year.

The Saints aren’t going to fire Allen after one year. He’s well liked and in a poo poo situation so they will give him more time, even though he obviously sucks. Besides, they might as well keep him while they ride out the lovely draft and cap situation because who else would want the job?

I think Hackett is the only one of those who are actually likely to be fired.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The musical chairs of like 8 teams competing for far fewer viable candidates is going to be quite entertaining this off-season.

Nov 6, 2002

Docjowles posted:

The musical chairs of like 8 teams competing for far fewer viable candidates is going to be quite entertaining this off-season.

They might even be forced to consider Bieniemy.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

They might even be forced to consider Bieniemy.

I think you'll find that the Chief's QB coach is by far the more qualified man for an open job.

It's Matt Nagy

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Watson wanted Bieniemy in Houston so he'll get the Cleveland job once Stefanski gets fired

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
BRONCOS COUNTRY
LETS FIRE

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

He just got an extension this past offseason. I'm not saying he wont get fired, but I dont think he will get fired.

Yeah the Bidwills still own the team and while they've been a bit better recently they still aren't keen on paying buyouts. I don't trust them to make a move even if it's completely obvious given the extension.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The Saints aren’t going to fire Allen after one year. He’s well liked and in a poo poo situation so they will give him more time, even though he obviously sucks. Besides, they might as well keep him while they ride out the lovely draft and cap situation because who else would want the job?

I think Hackett is the only one of those who are actually likely to be fired.

Yeah I want him gone but there's no point when the saints have nothing viable right now anyway. Maybe next year they have a chance to get a qb and more draft capital to make some plays, and if so I want a new hc to take that over.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Professor Funk posted:

I feel like Hackett have to be hotter than Mild. He has the extra issue of not being the new owners' hire and I feel like it's almost certain he gets fired because of that.

And I dunno, maybe Staley's seat should be getting hotter. The Chargers just feel like they're wasting Herbert (I know, injuries, etc.) and that's an unforgivable sin. Though maybe Lombardi just gets fired and Staley's seat is really hot next year. Looking totally uninspiring with Herbert at QB is an incredible feat.

The latter is what will happen.

It's hard for even Herbert to look good when his #1 WR is DeAndre Carter

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I can 100% see Kingsbury staying and Murray getting traded because Keirn is a moron and the org has taken a lot of pointless pot shots at Murray over the years.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

syzpid posted:

I can 100% see Kingsbury staying and Murray getting traded because Keirn is a moron and the org has taken a lot of pointless pot shots at Murray over the years.
I was going to laugh at this idea because Kyler just got a new contract but... it looks not terrible for trading even next year. I dont know what wizardry they used to make his contract that tradeable but it looks like they did it.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Staley's seat is prob cooler than anyone would admit and he's just gonna have the Ringer's Rams Offensive Assistant Of The Week be OC next year. It also sounds like Telesco's contract expires this year so who knows if the next GM will even like Staley

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Who knows if this is accurate but the franchise is worth $5bn. They have unlimited cash at their disposal with a phone call.
https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1592952139311194117

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

So maybe it's more accurately described as "Mark Davis is cheap."

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Diva Cupcake posted:

Who knows if this is accurate but the franchise is worth $5bn. They have unlimited cash at their disposal with a phone call.

They have unlimited DEBT at their disposal with a phone call. Maybe Mark doesn’t want to pay interest on the loan to fire another coach when he just had to pay to fire one last year. I don’t know what the settlement with Gruden was but he surely didn’t walk away for free.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

YOLOsubmarine posted:

They have unlimited DEBT at their disposal with a phone call. Maybe Mark doesn’t want to pay interest on the loan to fire another coach when he just had to pay to fire one last year. I don’t know what the settlement with Gruden was but he surely didn’t walk away for free.

Debt for rich people isn't real though. It ain't like they get the same rates we get. Granted even banks are going up thanks to the fed.

Nov 6, 2002

It's worth mentioning that the Raiders are already pretty highly leveraged in order to pay their half of the new stadium and the relocation fee.

quote:

The expediency of it all continued to worry some owners -- and threatened to violate league rules on a team using its own equity as collateral for stadium debt. Owners would need to approve a debt waiver, customary for most stadium deals but disconcerting given that it was Davis and the total debt was in the neighborhood of $1 billion. 

Still, a coach's salary is chump change. So I'm skeptical.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

syzpid posted:

I don't think that contract is trdable after 1 year.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

mcmagic posted:

I don't think that contract is trdable after 1 year.
It is.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I think the other issue is that Gruden is in court about his contract with the Raiders & the league. Who knows how that shakes out but it might be another lump sum & lawyer fees.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

syzpid posted:

Kliff is white. He'll get fifty chances in Arizona. Kyler is hit with dog whistles whether he's the MVP frontrunner or failing. It took one game for AZ Media to champion Colt. Can't imagine what's different between him and Kyler.

I think Kyler will end up traded and it'll infuriate me. He's not the best QB in the NFL, but I have 0 faith in Kiem to identify the next franchise QB. Bidwell is his friend. Kiem has pretty much free reign to suck.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I can't believe Telesco is the name of a real human being and not a petroleum company or something

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Diva Cupcake posted:

Hahaha, I knew it! :lol:

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Last time he was "cash poor" he handed Gruden 100mil lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol almost feel bad for Mark Davis.

But nahhhhhh