Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I don't understand why they didn't just lock out the on board accounts of anyone who failed to complete it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That'd generate rage and then you're stuck on a boat with an entitled dipshit who has decided that the cruise is out to get them. Sadly it's not as easy to eject them from a boat as it is to eject them from a park.

ETA: well, legally anyways :v:

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Boxman posted:

Galaxys edge is this beautiful environment but it’s completely dead. There are some walk around characters, but they don’t do much. I got cornered by a storm trooper, which was fun, but there’s just not a lot of there there.

Avengers campus is ugly and boring to look at, but there’s so much poo poo happening. I was in front of the quinjet yesterday and I could see spider man’s thing, strange was wrapping up his show, and black widow was patrolling and making small talk from the balcony (Fennec and chewie weren’t too chatty in Galaxys Edge.) And 10 minutes later there was a fight with the Hawkeyes and the track suit mafia. Like, turn on the entertainment filter in the app and look at avengers campus, then galaxys edge. It is incredible.

Incidentally, the M’Baku show in Avengers Campus is drawing crazy crowds. As it should, M’Baku owns.

I do think both problems are fixable. Adding characters (and please god some benches, there is nowhere too sit in GE) is not a big thing. They've already broken continuity, so just do it more.
Have a big special event that is Seasons of the Force when there are force ghosts on Batuu, and then you can have a bunch of jedi running around. Give them lightsabers at night.
You can draw a line and say, okay no major characters from the other trilogies... so Darth Vader can't show up. But nobody will care if Plo Koon shows up (well, Dave Filoni will care because he will be psyched!). Have Cassian Andor, Chirrut Îmwe, Baze Malbus and Saw Gerrera running around doing rebel stuff.

Marvel is a bit harder, but you can add more stuff to make it less ugly. Add details. Its not an overhaul, its just dressing up the set you have. Obviously adding an E-ticket would do wonders... but Guardians already is E-ticket. Just add more theming. You just know the imagineers had ideas that got cut for budget reasons. I vastly preferred killing time in the Avengers Campus over GE because there would always be something new to look at. GE now feels like a lesser version of Pandora.

And yes, M'Baku rules. I'm sad my trip was before he showed up.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I didn’t spend any time in GE in DLR but that’s because I spend so much time there at WDW. I love it still.

I also spent almost no time in Marvel land because idgaf about Marvel and it had no shade and was ugly. The Guardians tower looked cool, I guess.

I also don’t care about Avatar/Pandora, but drat if they didn’t make that area look cool and gave it plenty of shade. Same thing with Cars land. Actively dislike those movies, but the area rules.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

He takes two steps and Buzzy falls out of his shirt like Bender’s giant mound of oil cans.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

thats the most interesting thing to ever happen in that ride

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-4k9c8LZU4

Another really good video from this guy. I agree with almost everything he says here. I do think he does what a lot of disgruntled Disney fans do lately, that is, being too eager to praise everything Universal does in contrast to Disney as "doing it right". Yes, Universal is doing a lot of things right compared to Disney, but they still have their own unique laundry list of issues. That said, if you're in this thread at all you might find this video worth your time.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Can't speak for Florida, but Universal in California has it's obvious weaknesses and the people who sing it's praises to the heavens are the sort of people who don't care about those weaknesses. USH's concept of fine dining is the sort of chain stuff you'd expect to find in Times Square, which doesn't bother locals who don't eat at theme parks anyway. Sill, my understanding of USO is that the owned & operated food choices at their best tie with stuff like Be Our Guest. If you want a La Cellier or Tiffins sort of dinner you're heading to either CityWalk or a hotel?

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Nov 16, 2022

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I wouldn't even say that Universal has anything like Be Our Guest. And CityWalk has some good restaurants but you won't find one on the level of Tiffins or California Grill.

At best they have Mythos which hasn't changed in 20 years.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-4k9c8LZU4

Another really good video from this guy. I agree with almost everything he says here. I do think he does what a lot of disgruntled Disney fans do lately, that is, being too eager to praise everything Universal does in contrast to Disney as "doing it right". Yes, Universal is doing a lot of things right compared to Disney, but they still have their own unique laundry list of issues. That said, if you're in this thread at all you might find this video worth your time.
I watched his video on Rise of the Resistance and I've rarely seen the old saying about the best way to attack a point is to argue for it badly illustrated so perfectly for a thing I broadly agree with. Comparing it to Gringotts is just :psyduck: poo poo.

As to that video, :allears: at him taking @garius' display name at face value. Just perfection. It's interesting that the connection between the NBA Experience and the attempt to buy Sky wasn't made though. Sky are primarily known for their premium sports channels so having more sports and more audience for that sports would actually have been good synergy had Iger pulled it off. The points about Chapek being out of touch and the general vibe of the parks being off are well made though.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Zero One posted:

At best they have Mythos which hasn't changed in 20 years.

I think its funny every time I walk past Mythos and there's still a sign out front prominently touting it as something like "Voted best theme park restaurant" which I guarantee was the year or maybe first two years when it opened.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mythos was even beaten by Disney years ahead of time for good sit-down restaurants. A number of Epcot restaurants, includes Les Chefs de France, had been open sometimes as early as the 1980s by then. Universal has stagnated and shuffled off most of the good food responsibility to temporary event stands and Citywalk while Disney keeps developing.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
When the gently caress is Takumi Tei reopening

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I thought I saw they announced it reopen on the 23rd this month. Did that change?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

couldcareless posted:

I thought I saw they announced it reopen on the 23rd this month. Did that change?

Holy poo poo, I had no idea. How did I miss this?

edit: They don't seem to be taking reservations at all...

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 16, 2022

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Superrodan posted:

I think its funny every time I walk past Mythos and there's still a sign out front prominently touting it as something like "Voted best theme park restaurant" which I guarantee was the year or maybe first two years when it opened.

Yeah it was like 2002-2005 and that banner has been up for decades.

Although to be fair it did win again in like 2019 but it was also was from like, a trip advisor poll.

Mythos is… fine? For theme park food I guess? It’s miles above Universal’s quick service but that’s not saying much. City walk has some okay places but Disney generally blows them out of the water.

I’m worried that Epic Universe will be like the wizarding world and end up stagnant and boring after a few trips. Hagrid’s is the one exception.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

couldcareless posted:

It looks like the source for that was WDWNT, which....has no sources in the article itself. Shocking, I know.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
This is what I get for skimming Twitter. I figured there was a nugget of truth because it was right around the time they announced all the other November reopenings

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

At least Clickbait Corless didn't turn around fast enough to spin his retina out this time reporting it.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I got kind of a weird one. We’re staying in pop century in a few weeks. Is there any way technically to download some movies on say Disney+ or Netflix and watch them via casting or a Roku or even a flash drive in the hotel?

Looks like some of the nicer resorts got new TVs this year or last year with casting but not seeing that pop century does. We’re going to be there a week and have a couple free nights / a free day and I know we’ll wanna be lazy a little bit. But I’ve had really bad luck trying to stream things in the past in hotels.

jStarfall
Dec 29, 2008

Disappointing Pie posted:

I got kind of a weird one. We’re staying in pop century in a few weeks. Is there any way technically to download some movies on say Disney+ or Netflix and watch them via casting or a Roku or even a flash drive in the hotel?

Looks like some of the nicer resorts got new TVs this year or last year with casting but not seeing that pop century does. We’re going to be there a week and have a couple free nights / a free day and I know we’ll wanna be lazy a little bit. But I’ve had really bad luck trying to stream things in the past in hotels.

I just got back from two weeks at the Pop Century, and there was an HDMI port. Screen mirroring also worked with a Windows laptop and android phone, but neither of my apple devices could see it.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

It's still completely insane to me every hotel on property does not have Disney+ just baked into it and defaulted to it.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Tim Whatley posted:

It's still completely insane to me every hotel on property does not have Disney+ just baked into it and defaulted to it.

Right! Talk about the easiest cross promotion ever lol.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Cais posted:

I’m worried that Epic Universe will be like the wizarding world and end up stagnant and boring after a few trips. Hagrid’s is the one exception.

The thing to remember about EU is that compared to other Universal properties, it’s huge. The existing resort is ~550 acres (including the old Wet n Wild parcels iirc) and EU is ~750 acres. There’s two-three expansion pads in the current park design, with even more space available if (when) they build a parking deck or two.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Arquinsiel posted:

I watched his video on Rise of the Resistance and I've rarely seen the old saying about the best way to attack a point is to argue for it badly illustrated so perfectly for a thing I broadly agree with. Comparing it to Gringotts is just :psyduck: poo poo.
Yeah, that one was a really weak video. "RotR isn't great because technically Gringotts did it first" is a terrible argument because Gringotts is an aggressively mediocre ride. Even if it was great, that still isn't a good argument.

Aside from that,

Arquinsiel posted:

The points about Chapek being out of touch and the general vibe of the parks being off are well made though.

He generally does a good job of expressing and summarizing the dissatisfaction many Disney Parks fans have been feeling for a while and presenting that in a way that is easily digestible and doesn't come off as whiny. I hope it helps get more people on board, because as time goes on I feel like more people are forgetting what made WDW truly great in the first place, and a mindset of "it's always been like this" is starting to take over.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Coasterphreak posted:

The thing to remember about EU is that compared to other Universal properties, it’s huge. The existing resort is ~550 acres (including the old Wet n Wild parcels iirc) and EU is ~750 acres. There’s two-three expansion pads in the current park design, with even more space available if (when) they build a parking deck or two.

This is a great breakdown of how big the EU site is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOZruo4vjVc

tl;dw: essentially it's big enough for two major theme parks, another City-Walk, and a few hotels.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
They made the "cancel dining reservations up to 2 hours beforehand" change official. This is gonna make reservation hoarding so bad.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

They have HDMI and USB ports but I think Disney prevents you from using them to cast over Wifi. We tried using a ChromeCast before getting frustrated and giving up. We were there on election night 2020 and we needed a distraction.

BUT you should be able to change inputs if you bring an HDMI cord and plug in your own stuff.

There are also nightly movies by the pool if that's your thing.

Right! Talk about the easiest cross promotion ever lol.

The first time we stayed at an on-site hotel I was floored that this wasn't the case.

I mean the resort channel is relaxing as hell and I could listen to that music loop all day, but still, wow.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

we just watch MASH and Fellavision on TV Land to fall asleep sometimes

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
We just watched The Golden Girls until something else came on.

Yeah, that one was a really weak video. "RotR isn't great because technically Gringotts did it first" is a terrible argument because Gringotts is an aggressively mediocre ride. Even if it was great, that still isn't a good argument.

Aside from that,

He generally does a good job of expressing and summarizing the dissatisfaction many Disney Parks fans have been feeling for a while and presenting that in a way that is easily digestible and doesn't come off as whiny. I hope it helps get more people on board, because as time goes on I feel like more people are forgetting what made WDW truly great in the first place, and a mindset of "it's always been like this" is starting to take over.
Yeah, he definitely is making the case that the changes which are presented as helping the consumer plan their trip is really just a way for Disney to min-max their expenses in a solid way, and by linking the decrease in quality of experience to the times those changes came in really helps solidify things.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/disney-park-visitor-arrested-after-chugging-beers-alarming-guests-deputy-says

quote:

A guest at Walt Disney World's Epcot park was arrested after deputies said he caused a disturbance, possibly endangering himself and others during the Food and Wine Festival.

According to park security and a deputy, Chase Holderby, 30, of Merritt Island, Florida, was being very loud and stumbling around the American Adventure Pavilion after witnesses said he quickly chugged down two beers in approximately 30 seconds.

"We observed the subject shaking everyone's hand in line, high-fiving people, and was stumbling while in the line," a deputy wrote in an arrest report.

A few minutes later, Holderby was involved in a verbal argument with members of his party near the Japan Pavilion, the deputy wrote. By the time Holderby arrived at the Morocco Pavilion, park security asked him to leave.

"We followed Holderby to the International Gateway exit while he took his shirt off and continued asking what he had done wrong," the report read.

As Holderby headed toward the Disney Skyliner gondolas, he continued to yell and ask what he did wrong, according to the deputy.

"Once in the line queue, he continued to act belligerent and cause the crowd of people in line to become alarmed," the deputy wrote. "While attempting to get him onto the physical gondola car, he wouldn't initially get in and was dangerously close to falling into the area beneath where the attraction operates."

Park staff said they stopped the entire transportation system for Holderby's safety, "inconveniencing and delaying all other riders."

A deputy said after multiple warnings, Holderby was arrested on charges of trespassing and disorderly intoxication.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
My initial reaction that was "lol, the Skyliner is an attraction" but then I remembered queueing for it because I just wanted to see what it was like and... :negative:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It's a more interesting ride than the Orlando eye, at least.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Outside of the gondola that dude sounds fun, he knows how to properly enjoy the Disney parks

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

poo poo if someone tried to force me on to that death trap I'd fight too

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It's a more interesting ride than the Orlando eye, at least.

And probably safer.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

poo poo if someone tried to force me on to that death trap I'd fight too

I checked other articles. He actually boarded the gondola to escape because his family was still at the Caribbean, but he was so mad that he tried to force himself out to keep yelling insults at security and nearly fell under the gondolas.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Just since I figure you folks in here would dig this... There's a new Defunctland up. It's apparently about the Disney Channel Theme, haven't watched it yet but I'm sure it's quite the thing. It's also 90 minutes long.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

J33uk posted:

Just since I figure you folks in here would dig this... There's a new Defunctland up. It's apparently about the Disney Channel Theme, haven't watched it yet but I'm sure it's quite the thing. It's also 90 minutes long.

It's very good. It's basically Kevin all Dr. Claw'd out, trying to figure out the mystery of who wrote the Disney Channel jingle that they've been using since 2002. It gets pretty sweet and emotional at the end.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Ummm I'm still trying to find confirmation but...

https://twitter.com/ScottGustin/status/1594522999318876160?s=20&t=le89TabXyGjqcc_03rVnWw

Looks like it's confirmed.

Cais fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Confirmed, email went out to cast members