Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Devor posted:

A lawyer who recently tried to explain Consent and Duress to Elon recently is very proud that the information stuck, but less thrilled that Elon is applying it outside the context it was intended for

Even if it didn't work as planned I think Elon having a solid grasp on the concept of consent is a solid step in the right direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Trabant posted:

Gonna check on that sink real qui--

Ah.

He got rid of all the optional parts of the sink all you need is water and drain. Ignore the sharp jagged edges they are an artifact from the old form. A new better slimmer sink is coming.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Outrail posted:

Even if it didn't work as planned I think Elon having a solid grasp on the concept of consent is a solid step in the right direction.

:horse:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Outrail posted:

except when the courts reject his argument, he'll assume consent under duress is now perfectly legal in all forms

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Where's the Tesla logo? :confused:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

The Lord of Hats posted:

Today I've wrapped around from lol, lmao to actually angry at how goddamn loving stupid he is. I'll be able to laugh again in a while, but christ, I could do better. Anyone in this thread could do better. Anyone off the street could do better.
Literally going into the office at 10:00, reading SA for a few hours, taking a long lunch at 1:00, having a nap on the office couch at 3:30, and going home at 4:00 would lead to better results than this.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

This is exactly right. It’s a message: we are toxic now. No upside. No benefit. Your job is worse now, get in or GTFO.

It’s so monumentally stupid. Peak manager brain to think of your employees as completely replaceable widgets who can be endlessly budgeted down.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

there is a specific type of big ego brogrammer who will respond positively to an elitist message like that, that only the best and brightest can remain and there's no room for anyone who isn't in the top 1% of performers. they're never anywhere near the top 1% of performers.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

I. M. Gei posted:

Daddy Emerald is Dr. Robotnik's stripper name

Das funny

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

This is exactly right. It’s a message: we are toxic now. No upside. No benefit. Your job is worse now, get in or GTFO.

It’s so monumentally stupid. Peak manager brain to think of your employees as completely replaceable widgets who can be endlessly budgeted down.

I would like to think that all of this has some more long-range strategy (like speed-running a case for being able to opt-out of paying back the banks he used to do the purchase), but in reality it's probably just that he's mad that he ended up having to complete the deal and he's taking his anger out on the employees of the company he was forced to buy.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Durzel posted:

Yup, that's about the size of it, because firing people is apparently funny to Elon.

Even Zuckerberg 2000 computed a more compassionate message to send to the staff that Meta laid off, and hasn't subsequently been emitting laugh2.wav on repeat on Facebook. It was a masterclass by comparison.

We can laugh with the engineers that publicly clowned on him, because they obviously felt comfortable enough in their skills that they would get on just fine if they were fired, but there were thousands of people who aren't so lucky, whole departments of people who aren't engineers, etc.

I don't think he wanted to fired these people, we can say anything we want how a loving shitshow meta's metaverse is and how they made the wrong decision, the Meta Quest 2 looks pretty cool and I might get one next year.

I think he tried the brute force the metaverse when he should have focus on making the actual tool to build little metaverses, like VR chat.

Whatever his plan are, they want to retain the people they have and might want to hired these people again in a few years, so that's why they gave them good compensation.

Hell, they even let the employee access their email for 24 hours after they been fired so they can say goodbye to people in the company.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Destroy twitter any% speedrun (bankruptcy less only)

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

if you want to build the metaverse, you have got to hire an army of furries, it's the only way

they own that space and you have to play by their rules

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Bad Purchase posted:

if you want to build the metaverse, you have got to hire an army of furries, it's the only way

What shocking is it is almost true.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Decon posted:

I'm not blaming the code monkeys just trying to fill space on their resumes. I'm making GBS threads on tech bros, who are primarily in management and/or sales.

Dude, they WERE the bullies! That's my whole point! They spent their entire early lives bullying other kids with implicit or sometimes explicit adult approval, and many of their victims got their brains broken by it and turned into the sort of cringing toadies who feed their narcissism.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They care more about presenting themselves in a radically different way than anyone else. They are prepared to spend money on art and commission custom pieces. The furries are the first people Zuck will be taking his cut of the money off.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Woolie Wool posted:

Dude, they WERE the bullies! That's my whole point! They spent their entire early lives bullying other kids with implicit or sometimes explicit adult approval, and many of their victims got their brains broken by it and turned into the sort of cringing toadies who feed their narcissism.

Or they turned into goons. Hi. It's me.

No but really I don't mean schoolyard bullying so much. It just baffles me that their bubbles don't get pricked, but, again, grimy mid Atlantic City dweller here. My city's folks will absolutely pick on you to your face if your idea is dumb.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bleusilences posted:

I don't think he wanted to fired these people, we can say anything we want how a loving shitshow meta's metaverse is and how they made the wrong decision, the Meta Quest 2 looks pretty cool and I might get one next year.

I think he tried the brute force the metaverse when he should have focus on making the actual tool to build little metaverses, like VR chat.

Whatever his plan are, they want to retain the people they have and might want to hired these people again in a few years, so that's why they gave them good compensation.

Hell, they even let the employee access their email for 24 hours after they been fired so they can say goodbye to people in the company.

let's not go too far sucking off Zuck either, he said something like "I take responsibility for the metaverse situation... so I'll be firing 10,000 people" lol

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1592939300500688896

Musk, planning to flee from the employee's that laugh at him.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Bad Purchase posted:

I think its more furries scare away everybody else.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

I want a set of these in the same way that i still want a foam pitchfork from butterfly labs, it's a perfect lulz keepsake from a company that's just going to crumble so hard

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
there was actually a small army of furries @ pre-apocalypse twitter :eng101:

then even used their fursonas in the official slack channels & such

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Furries are the cornerstone of VR accessibility and they deserve respect.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Bleusilences posted:

Yeah, I wasn't saying that Zuckerberg wanted to fire those people in the same way Musk did, moreover that both companies laid off a large number of workers around the same time, and Zuckerberg's message to them was on the complete opposite end of the spectrum in terms of how he treated them and the way in which this "unavoidable decision" was communicated.

By contrast Elon has been acting - publicly - like firing these people is a game to him, and that he's enjoying it. It's pretty grotesque really, particularly when you consider his legion of zealots cheering him on, as if his treatment of staff is totally normal and good.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

The Last Call posted:

Wow, no one wants to work anymore.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

The Last Call posted:

"Whoops, showed the actual quality of my character"

lmfao

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Sentient Data posted:

I want a set of these in the same way that i still want a foam pitchfork from butterfly labs, it's a perfect lulz keepsake from a company that's just going to crumble so hard

looked up the foam pitchfork thing... yikes.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

burns down bridge

welp. Looks like my job's done here.

after all that hard work, I'm looking to take a step back and reorganize the crappy leadership around here! I'm looking for folks to run my bridge toll collecting operation..

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 16, 2022

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Bad Purchase posted:

there is a specific type of big ego brogrammer who will respond positively to an elitist message like that, that only the best and brightest can remain and there's no room for anyone who isn't in the top 1% of performers. they're never anywhere near the top 1% of performers.

I've worked with one or two of these types at every company I've been at.

They tend to be people who bind their entire identity and self-worth into being an "elite software engineering ninja" and often have no family and few friends outside of the company. They'll work 12-hour days and weekends as a badge of honor (that nobody else cares about, other than maybe a misguided middle-manager).

Sometimes they're competent programmers, but rarely the best, despite working twice as many hours as everyone else. They are also, to a person, the dullest people on earth to talk to, because they have no interests or hobbies or experiences outside of work.

I can't imagine the employee experience at a company completely populated by these types, which is the direction Twitter seems to be headed in.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Bad Purchase posted:

he is definitely expecting a lot of people to take this offer.

To give people an idea of how bad to the brain drain is: https://mastodon.social/@danluu/109352263627030234

I found this genuinely remarkable. I bet EOM for my twitter death pool date and if I'm wrong I don't think it'll be by much.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

They tend to be people who bind their entire identity and self-worth into being an "elite software engineering ninja" and often have no family and few friends outside of the company. They'll work 12-hour days and weekends as a badge of honor (that nobody else cares about, other than maybe a misguided middle-manager).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o7qjN3KF8U

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Can you not embed mastodons? Mastodi? Masts?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

IShallRiseAgain posted:

That's why you have someone not furry running them and going, "No giant dragon dongs" when that stuff comes up.

"Yes, huge snake boobies", obviously.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

"Yes, huge snake boobies", obviously.

Wait, where would you even put those

don't answer

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Prettz posted:

lmao (at your post, not his)

drat another Elon stan joins the fray. Welcome.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Libra posted:

Wait, where would you even put those

don't answer

Well first you find the huge snake...

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Random Stranger posted:

Well first you find the huge snake...

*wiggling my eyebrows*

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

ilmucche posted:

toots

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

ilmucche posted:

you can only embed full masts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Charles Ford posted:

I mean, I'm a software engineer, I hate all software, but it's true there is a difference between "I miss Windows 2000 and its pixel-art icons and UI that actually has nice, tight corners and buttons to press versus modern UX" and "I can't get the window wipers to behave because if I put them on auto they just go off at random and the speed control is a random thing on the touch screen" versus "just having an actual window wiper speed control knob on the stalk" like the Bolt and every other car.

It should be literally against the law for any driver operated controls for anything in a car to be touchscreen instead of analog, that’s such an incredibly basic and obvious safety issue.