Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Glagha posted:

It seems popular and well loved but I hate it with a passion so the consensus is 0/10 burn it for heat hth.

I wouldn't burn it with those plastic minis, certainly destroy it but in a more eco friendly way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

We played Blood Rage at our last get together. I don't like that the factions are symmetrical but two of our other players do and love the card draft. I scarfed up all the "points when you have 4 people in valhalla" early on comboing with stealing action points when I'd lose fights (loser keeps their cards so I did it every fight). I had the upgrade to play 2 soldiers for the cost of one and replenished my losses fast each turn. I started with a huge lead and was the villain at the table. The owner of the game soared past with his final points but cost himself the win by not playing his troll (clears the land it enters) before the lands filled up. The person in last place got an upgrade to gain points when his ship died and had an upgrade to play units from valhalla. He managed to play his ship back into every conflict to die and skyrocketed from last to first during the final round with some good quests to lock it in.

It's no Chaos in the Old World, which we were lucky to get when it was new, though we missed out on the horned rat expansion. Our host makes us play it every year on his birthday.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
While we're talking about Terraforming Mars, maybe someone can answer this question for me.

So, essentially, outside of a few specific card effects, the purpose of Steel (tools symbol) is to give you discounts on Building Cards (House Symbol), and the purpose of Titanium (Star symbol) is to give you discounts on Space Cards (Burst symbol).

SO WHY THE gently caress DON'T THEY JUST USE THE HOUSE AND BURST SYMBOL FOR BOTH?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Aramoro posted:

I wouldn't burn it with those plastic minis, certainly destroy it but in a more eco friendly way.

deterraforming mars

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
I like Terraforming Mars and Blood Rage. There are dozens of us, dozens!

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I can get why the card drafting in Blood Rage appeals to people, but it feels like it just makes the DOAM bits worse along with the quests compared to CiTOW or CW.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Blood rage feels like an awkward cross between citow and kemet and it feels like both of its influences are better than it

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

So I'm looking at Splotter's website and they have a 200 euro shipped for FCM and their new game.
I've never played a splotter, but this is basically half the retail price in my country.
If I like heavier euros will I like FCM? (I know Horseless isn't out yet so not expecting comments on that).

Games I've enjoyed that *might* lean on the heavier side?:
Barrage, Carnegie, Brass (both), Concordia, Rococo, Teotihuacan, Wayfarers South Tigris, Paladins/Vicounts/Architects

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
FCM is kind of its own beast but if you enjoy either Brass you'll probably love it. It's all of the dickish maneuvering of Brass but magnified

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Got a kickstarter game in, Canosa, and due to fast and quick explanation and setup time I even got to play a round! :D

It's a 2 player competitive game. Each player is a siren, silver or gold, and they're competing to drown the most sailors, the pawns in the middle. Each turn the player has to do 2 actions in any order and any combination, repeats allowed. You can move your siren (any space 1 tile orthogonally or diagonally), move a sailor you control (move 1 space orthogonally and only in the direction of your island, your corner of the board), attach one of your rings to a sailor adjacent to your siren (the topmost ring determines who controls the sailor), or take a ring off of a sailor adjacent to you (can only do this your ring is the top most ring though). Sirens and sailors can only hold a max of 3 rings on them, and when a siren captures a sailor, the sirens get back 1 ring from him (so if silver and gold both put a ring on him, they'd both get their ring back, but if silver put 2 rings on him, they'd only get back 1). Game ends after a player catches 4 sailors or a player is unable to make any further moves at all.

I lost my first game but I had fun. The fact that setup and rules are so easy and quick is a great boon for this kind of thing. It's a quick enough game, one of the few where my first time playing it matched the estimated game length on the box (about 20 minutes) and it was a close game. My fiancee was focused on racking up sailors over the course of the game while I was using sailors to camp around my scoring island as a way to deny her access to rings as well as making it easy to score a bunch at once. It ended up going 4 to 3 and there were many "oh you son of a bitch" moments from her. We enjoyed it.

Kinky Cookie Bunny
Apr 1, 2011

i kicked kite's rear end at the siren drowning game :twisted:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
FCM is a lot of fun but honestly pretty hard to get played. It's long, unforgiving, and has a lot of rules. A full game takes like, 3 or 4 hours (iirc, been a while), and there's no luck to take the sting of planning badly away. It's a really good game, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you think you have a group who will play it.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Kinky Cookie Bunny posted:

i kicked kite's rear end at the siren drowning game :twisted:

You trying to tell us a Kinky Cookie Bunny makes a better siren than a FirstAidKite?

Kinky Cookie Bunny
Apr 1, 2011

armorer posted:

You trying to tell us a Kinky Cookie Bunny makes a better siren than a FirstAidKite?

yes

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

armorer posted:

With all the whining I do you'd think I'd be a shoo-in. Alas,

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Mr. Squishy posted:

FCM is a lot of fun but honestly pretty hard to get played. It's long, unforgiving, and has a lot of rules. A full game takes like, 3 or 4 hours (iirc, been a while), and there's no luck to take the sting of planning badly away. It's a really good game, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you think you have a group who will play it.

Impermanent posted:

FCM is kind of its own beast but if you enjoy either Brass you'll probably love it. It's all of the dickish maneuvering of Brass but magnified

I definitely have one person who I regularly play our heavier games with at 2p. A third who is usually down, and sometimes we hit 4 keen for heavy games. Maybe 1-2 times a month we crack Brass/Barrage/Carnegie at the moment.
I guess the big question from me then would be, is FCM good at 2 players? That'd the most often it'd be tabled at.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
With the expansion milestones (which I’d recommend for new players and 90% of all plays, and no purchase necessary) FCM is about 2 hours even with 4.

I’m also a hard supporter of it as a 2p game but most people don’t necessarily agree.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I think fcm works well at two but it is also obviously designed around 3+ players.

Also yeah it's not that long for us even when we didn't have expansion milestones. Maybe you need a chess clock for your planning phases

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

any idea if this game will be sold for retail?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Spiteski posted:

So I'm looking at Splotter's website and they have a 200 euro shipped for FCM and their new game.
I've never played a splotter, but this is basically half the retail price in my country.
If I like heavier euros will I like FCM? (I know Horseless isn't out yet so not expecting comments on that).

Games I've enjoyed that *might* lean on the heavier side?:
Barrage, Carnegie, Brass (both), Concordia, Rococo, Teotihuacan, Wayfarers South Tigris, Paladins/Vicounts/Architects

You can even try it for *FREE* via http://play.boardgamecore.net/. You'll need to check the manual to understand how the game actually works but it gives you a very good idea of the main flow.

My only caveat is that this is a very good way to play and is up there with 18xx.games and the app for Through the Ages that makes you wonder why the gently caress you ever play in person with physical components anymore.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

any idea if this game will be sold for retail?

Idk if it'll be stocked at any brick & mortar places but they do plan to sell the standard version on their site at some point in the future. Don't know about the deluxe version but the eluxe is literally just the standard but with wood and metal for everything. I didn't get that but I know some people like their abstract games to look a little showy.

In the meantime they've put up their game as a demo on tabletop simulator and the version I have is their 2nd printing of it so they've at least thought it was worth enough effort to do additional prints. Their website also has the rulebook and the game wouldn't be terribly hard to approximate with a standard chess board and some chess and checkers pieces if you wanted to try it out that way.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Elysium posted:

While we're talking about Terraforming Mars, maybe someone can answer this question for me.

So, essentially, outside of a few specific card effects, the purpose of Steel (tools symbol) is to give you discounts on Building Cards (House Symbol), and the purpose of Titanium (Star symbol) is to give you discounts on Space Cards (Burst symbol).

SO WHY THE gently caress DON'T THEY JUST USE THE HOUSE AND BURST SYMBOL FOR BOTH?

I am okay with this, they use the same colour but different shapes for resource vs tag.

We've been playing it a bunch on TTS through the pandemic because we have a few people who really like it and it's an easy default option - i won't claim it's the best game in the pile but accumulating a bunch of toys isn't actively unpleasant.

anyway, who wants a quick game with a few mods added?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

xiw posted:

anyway, who wants a quick game with a few mods added?

What in god's name is this nightmare

and where can I play it?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The funniest thing about that pic is that it doesn't even show the 20+ cards each player will have out and where 99% of the game's action and focus is. Or maybe that the TTS mod looks way better than the actual production.

this is more what the actual game looks like.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
If anyone's been wanting Whitehall Mystery and doesn't mind giving Amazon money, it's on sale for $29.32.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Is miniature market just done now? I ordered something 2 weeks ago, no shipping and no response to phone calls or emails

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Their physical store is doing just fine but I haven't tried to order online from MM in a long time (because of my proximity to their physical store).

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Jarvisi posted:

Is miniature market just done now? I ordered something 2 weeks ago, no shipping and no response to phone calls or emails

Top of the website says they're unpacking at a new facility?

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

SettingSun posted:

What in god's name is this nightmare

and where can I play it?

It's this: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2616295/epic-terraforming-mars

Basically a compilation of all the fanmade expansions they can find into one huge game. It has 38 pages of rules and i can't imagine even teaching it to our gang.

however, we have grabbed a lot of the extra projects / corps /preludes from it and brought them back into the main game, and they provide quite a bit of variety - everyone enjoys the occasional dumb big payoff card and it includes them for a bunch of strategies. In particular all the special tiles with adjacency bonuses help a lot with making the board more important, and the bag of randomised awards/milestones is good too.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

FulsomFrank posted:

You can even try it for *FREE* via http://play.boardgamecore.net/. You'll need to check the manual to understand how the game actually works but it gives you a very good idea of the main flow.

My only caveat is that this is a very good way to play and is up there with 18xx.games and the app for Through the Ages that makes you wonder why the gently caress you ever play in person with physical components anymore.

That's very cool! I'll definitely check it out before throwing down cash. Hopefully I totally see no point in physical copies, but it hasn't stopped me yet with BGA lol. If anything I tend to buy the games I have played digitally and loved.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I have every piece of spirit island except the deluxe tokens and neoprene mat and I store it in a custom carrying case but like 70 percent of my plays are on the (excellent, scripted, dev approved) tts mod

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Jarvisi posted:

I've seen numerous complaints on BGG and in this thread that their online shipping has been messed up for a while now. I've seen enough independent complaints that I removed them as a thread recommended online store. Seems like they've gone seriously downhill but I don't think anyone knows why.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

Seems like they've gone seriously downhill but I don't think anyone knows why.

Weren't they acquired by asmodee?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

PerniciousKnid posted:

Weren't they acquired by asmodee?

Yeah. I thought it was yonks ago, but it was actually announced less than a year ago though it was unclear when the sale actually happened?

Time soup, etc etc etc.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

MiniMart has been struggling to find workers it seems. They are always advertising positions. Not sure if it’s because business got too big, or they mismanaged the seasoned employees they did have :iiam:

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
TfM is about as soulless a game as they come and it's kinda tragic that it's captured as much attention as it has because it's a bad signal to other developers. 3 or 4 of the resource types are "money or money variants" and the others (the ones used for terraforming) don't really have interesting timing stuff to consider. You just vomit resources at the planet. The map play is uninteresting and feels like an afterthought as far as its game impact goes. The art came from Wikipedia.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Pvt. Parts posted:

You just vomit resources at the planet.

well somebody has to

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I'm in the same boat with Miniature Market. Ordered over two weeks ago with no update. If I can ever get ahold of them to cancel or it finally ships, it will probably be my last order with them.

I've had a positive experience previously using https://overthebrick.com/ so I may just move to them for anything miniature related online unless there is a scandal I don't know about there. They usually have better inventory available than GameNerdz which is perpetually out of a large amount of paints.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Is there any difference between the CGE and Z-Man versions of Tash-Kalar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seanightjar
Apr 1, 2011

No difference as far as I know.

Does anyone live in/around Napa CA? I'm always looking for people to add to my current game nights.