Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If Gene hadn't been so insistent on having the bridge on the top, then they could've just put the main bridge in the hull section.

Even otherwise, they should've had the battle bridge be just the main bridge with a few bits swapped. Maybe have it so you can pull out the horseshoe and drop in a bigger tactical console.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Even if they didn’t show the separation, they would still have to pull apart (and use) the 6ft model to film other effects while separated.

This is all for something that wouldn’t make a narrative difference.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Another problem I don't see pointed out often is that the engineering hall is uggo without the saucer. It looks terrible.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

If Gene hadn't been so insistent on having the bridge on the top, then they could've just put the main bridge in the hull section.

Even otherwise, they should've had the battle bridge be just the main bridge with a few bits swapped. Maybe have it so you can pull out the horseshoe and drop in a bigger tactical console.

I find it mildly hilarious with that thought in mind that in the Yesterday's Enterprise timeline where the bridge is specifically called out as the CIC, they didn't use the battle bridge set or imply that the CIC was actually buried in the middle of the saucer or where the battle bridge is to reflect a more militarized mindset of the divergence timeline Federation. That was always one of the things Ron Moore crowed about on BSG was how much smarter the Colonials were compared to Starfleet because the CIC on Galactica was as close to the volumetric middle of the ship as it could get for safety purposes.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
There should have been an episode where the phaser bank at the top of the engineering hull accidentally blasts a hole right through the saucer

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CPColin posted:

There should have been an episode where the phaser bank at the top of the engineering hull accidentally blasts a hole right through the saucer

That would have made the USS Yamato's destruction even more terrifying :stare:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

nine-gear crow posted:

I find it mildly hilarious with that thought in mind that in the Yesterday's Enterprise timeline where the bridge is specifically called out as the CIC, they didn't use the battle bridge set or imply that the CIC was actually buried in the middle of the saucer or where the battle bridge is to reflect a more militarized mindset of the divergence timeline Federation.

Yesterday's Enterprise was already fairly expensive and they would have had to rebuild the battle bridge flats; the set skeleton was still around, but the old movie-bridge walls that the battle bridge was converted from for Farpoint and Arsenal of Freedom were inadvertently destroyed when they were left outside and a freak storm hit and soaked everything.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

nine-gear crow posted:

I find it mildly hilarious with that thought in mind that in the Yesterday's Enterprise timeline where the bridge is specifically called out as the CIC, they didn't use the battle bridge set or imply that the CIC was actually buried in the middle of the saucer or where the battle bridge is to reflect a more militarized mindset of the divergence timeline Federation. That was always one of the things Ron Moore crowed about on BSG was how much smarter the Colonials were compared to Starfleet because the CIC on Galactica was as close to the volumetric middle of the ship as it could get for safety purposes.

Smart enough to shield their command center, not smart enough to detect androids that light up when they orgasm....

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Yesterday's Enterprise was already fairly expensive and they would have had to rebuild the battle bridge flats; the set skeleton was still around, but the old movie-bridge walls that the battle bridge was converted from for Farpoint and Arsenal of Freedom were inadvertently destroyed when they were left outside and a freak storm hit and soaked everything.
They built so many sets. So, so many. They built bridges for tons of ships. There isn't a good reason why they couldn't have built a new battle bridge set even for just one episode, but when you factor in the fact that they could've reused it for several seasons afterward, the only thing that makes sense is that they'd also need to do visual effects for every saucer separation and that's when the math met the money.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

nine-gear crow posted:

That would have made the USS Yamato's destruction even more terrifying :stare:

Yamato should have done that at warp. You could still use the model of the saucer melting away for it!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

They built so many sets. So, so many. They built bridges for tons of ships.

Almost every one of those was the battle bridge set redressed, which was itself a refurbishment of the movie bridge set. (Indeed, the reason the battle bridge changed so much between Farpoint and BoBW was that the movie bridge set had to be reconstructed between 5 and 6). It was also the courtroom, the cybernetics lab, a few other things...

They basically only had a few sets like that, which got slightly modified each time for all of the episode-to-episode sets. The TMP bridge/Battle Bridge was in use up to the end of Voyager, it was in active use for something like 25 years. (The Defiant bridge became a bunch of generic alien bridges and rooms on Voyager too)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Nov 16, 2022

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
There is nothing cooler to a 7 year old than the concept of a Battle Bridge.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Angry Salami posted:

Smart enough to shield their command center, not smart enough to detect androids that light up when they orgasm....
So they should have made everyone orgasm to prove they're not Cylons? I feel like that would have been a very different show.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

So they should have made everyone orgasm to prove they're not Cylons? I feel like that would have been a very different show.

Gaius Baltar is smacking his forehead right now.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Mirrored ceilings are lostech.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

They build a gently caress machine to test it but it immediately decides the cylons were right

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Hollismason posted:

It makes sense from Starfleets view to have families on board starships because the Enterprise isn't a warship. Its all about exploration and first contact situations. They're coming from the mindframe that Starfleet is not a military organization.

i wouldn't stick kids on a long distance explorer/first contact vehicle either.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

LividLiquid posted:

They built so many sets. So, so many. They built bridges for tons of ships. There isn't a good reason why they couldn't have built a new battle bridge set even for just one episode, but when you factor in the fact that they could've reused it for several seasons afterward, the only thing that makes sense is that they'd also need to do visual effects for every saucer separation and that's when the math met the money.

Sure, there were other ship bridge sets dressed for other episodes - Yesterday's Enterprise already had one with the Enterprise C! But time and money were limited quantities for TNG and there may simply have not been any left to re-do the Enterprise D battle bridge.

Actually as I was writing this I realized, they probably used that battle bridge set for the Enterprise C, so using it for the D would have entailed more production difficulties. Plus, I rather suspect the writers/producers really wanted to see a darker take on the main bridge rather than just sticking the cast in a wholly different set, and I can't blame them for that either.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

skasion posted:

They build a gently caress machine
He has a name. It's Gaius Baltar.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Actually as I was writing this I realized, they probably used that battle bridge set for the Enterprise C

Yep!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

List of set reuse with a big section for the Enterprise Refit/Battle Bridge.

https://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/inconsistencies/reused_ship_interiors.htm

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

zoux posted:

On TV they're barely in space but in the movies they take great joy in exploding corridors and sucking people out into vacuum and for that reason I think that children should not be on starships that get into shenangians on a weekly basis. Because the only way to die in space is horrifically. (exceptions if they are actually officers who have been turned into children by a transporter thing or an omniscient entity.)

Also I don't get too bent out of shape about how Starfleet ranks work because if I did I'd have to notice that there are zero enlisted people in Star Trek except Chief O'Brien.

Its also a problem of being a TV show, we only see the parts where stuff happens.

Because following a supply ship USS North Atlantic hauling medical equipment to colonies in 2-3 sectors, and bulk containers of rare metals back to spacedock, for 35+ years in a row until it doesn't pass the space-worthiness inspection anymore and is scrapped for parts and recycled for metals and plastics isn't really interesting.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MikeJF posted:

They basically only had a few sets like that, which got slightly modified each time for all of the episode-to-episode sets. The TMP bridge/Battle Bridge was in use up to the end of Voyager, it was in active use for something like 25 years. (The Defiant bridge became a bunch of generic alien bridges and rooms on Voyager too)
So redress it back to the battle bridge. It can look completely different from Farpoint's. That wouldn't have mattered.

Edit: I think what's happening here is some peeps are explaining the rationale the creators had and I'm saying I think *they* were wrong. Not the people saying why they did what they did.

There is no good reason why we couldn't have seen the battle bridge more often.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 16, 2022

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Der Kyhe posted:

Its also a problem of being a TV show, we only see the parts where stuff happens.

Because following a supply ship USS North Atlantic hauling medical equipment to colonies in 2-3 sectors, and bulk containers of rare metals back to spacedock, for 35+ years in a row until it doesn't pass the space-worthiness inspection anymore and is scrapped for parts and recycled for metals and plastics isn't really interesting.

I think it's interesting ._.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LividLiquid posted:

There is no good reason why we couldn't have seen the battle bridge more often.

Other than the fact that it adds no narrative value to the story at best and slows down the story at worst.

3/4ths of the time the Enterprise stumbles into an issue without prior warning due to story pacing and dramatic tension where there wouldn't even be time to separate the ship.

It was a neat idea for an SFX showcase in the pilot, but the concept rarely made sense to explore in the show itself.

As far as the bridge being more protected, I question that as a strategy when you have directed energy weapons and antimatter weapons that shrug off physical structure if the shields are down.

In the end, it was a smaller, less detailed set that would have been harder to shoot on that would have really only been used to satisfy the saucer separation concept.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It is really funny how much of a huge deal it was that the D could separate and they only every did it four times. How many s1 scripts had saucer separation sequences before the accountants were like "knock it off"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The answer was simple; give the bridge crew a Voltron-esque sequence of dramatically sliding through a tube to the Battle Bridge and being dumped perfectly into place ready for action every time the shields went up.

They were cowards for robbing us of this.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

i never want my D to separate, thank you

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

zoux posted:

It is really funny how much of a huge deal it was that the D could separate and they only every did it four times. How many s1 scripts had saucer separation sequences before the accountants were like "knock it off"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The answer was simple; give the bridge crew a Voltron-esque sequence of dramatically sliding through a tube to the Battle Bridge and being dumped perfectly into place ready for action every time the shields went up.

They were cowards for robbing us of this.

And somehow they come out of the slide dressed in their special Battle Uniforms!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
How much does it cost to do poo poo? They had a budget of over a million per episode.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

wesleywillis posted:

How much does it cost to do poo poo? They had a budget of over a million per episode.
The SFX weren’t cheap and you also have to pay the actors and crew.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Apparently it wasn't so much a cost thing, as that's why they filmed the SFX shot of the separation in the pilot, so they could just reuse those when ever they needed, spending 15-20 seconds on showing that often just messes with the pacing of the show, particularly as usually when they would want to do it, would be an action/tense scene where you really don't want to be cutting away to unimportant stuff.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

This all started because somebody asked how families on a ship that frequently sees combat works.

That's why they did the saucer thing and I just think it's a shame they didn't use it more often. It could've been a never-more-than-once-per-season "OH poo poo THIS IS GETTING SERIOUS" device and it would've worked really well for that.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Didn't help that the drive section looked really weird without the saucer.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Burning_Monk posted:

yeah it should have been designed to actually look good

too bad the execs didn't tell probert that they wanted to split at the neck before he finished designing the overall concept lol

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

wesleywillis posted:

The majority of that million is standing costs that they always have to pay no matter what the episode is about. There’s a smaller discretionary budget

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Burning_Monk posted:

The saucer by itself looked goofy too. So, basically,

Tunicate posted:

yeah it should have been designed to actually look good

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

admittedly, his pre-neck design doesn't look great either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah but the action would've been focused on the battle section and that looks okay.