Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Give your children sniper rifles imo, they're safe and productive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Manning mortars is unironically perfect for kids in Rimworld because it keeps them out of the line of fire and helps them slowly build important shooting skills safely.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
give your children spears and keep them on the front lines so they can cover themselves in glory

also brains and guts and machine bits

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It doesn't count as the front lines if they're using an exploit to attack from behind walls. :colbert:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I never stick with any colony for long in this game b/c I have severe ADHD and too many cool colony ideas, but currently I am playing as neolithic tribals (with a cheated in vanometric cell + freeze column because food management sucks!) in the morrowind ashlands and it's pretty fun

Looking forward to when/if I get psycasts up and running on my leader, I'm using the Vanilla Expanded ideology mod that makes my ideology's leader whoever the strongest psycaster is and that should be fun

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Kanos posted:

It doesn't count as the front lines if they're using an exploit to attack from behind walls. :colbert:

well not with that attitude!!

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Anything to prioritize with a tribal run? I imagine I still don’t want to stick to wood for very long? Will the game gently caress me up if I don’t tech up fast?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Food is a huge problem for tribals because you can’t easily refrigerate poo poo. Pemmican is critical because it lasts a long time. Temperature isn’t a big deal so long as you have a ton of wood but you’ll pretty much always get negative temperature-related mood things.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Elderbean posted:

Anything to prioritize with a tribal run? I imagine I still don’t want to stick to wood for very long? Will the game gently caress me up if I don’t tech up fast?

Nah, the difficulty scales (mostly) with time and colony wealth. If anything, the game will gently caress you up if you don't research fast enough, because the difficulty ignores your current tech level and there is a lot of vital stuff in the tech tree that tribals have harder time getting, due to starting with fewer technologies and having slower research.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I legit switch between underground vault bases and island fortresses constantly, and switch up mods so much that the save is incompatible by the time I come back.

Decided to take out simple concrete because my misfiring shitshow of a brain can't deal with having two different concretes both called the same thing. I have plenty of slate to pave with but it's slow going :negative: My pawns are probably happy to not have to stare at poured concrete floors all the time though

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Elderbean posted:

A lot of it depends on your biome/weather conditions. Generally:

Electricity is vitally important to solve the number one problem tribals have early on, which is food preservation. Pemmican is your only form of long term food preservation before you get electricity up and running, and pemmican loving sucks because it takes a shitload of time to make relative to how fast it gets eaten and is reliant on a steady influx of meat, which isn't always reliable.

Complex clothing is very important if you're settled anywhere that has weather outside the boundaries of comfortable room temperature. The basic clothing types tribals can make are really bad at dealing with large temperature swings and you really want access to parkas/dusters/tuques/cowboy hats.

Stonecutting is super important just because building walls out of wood is always, always, always a short term thing. It's also a relatively short research and cutting stone blocks takes a while so I'll generally pick it up before beelining clothing or electricity.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 16, 2022

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

Is anyone working on bringing Time Control to 1.4?

thank you Mlie

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Elderbean posted:

While the obvious stuff like food preservation and temperature survival was mentioned a less obvious thing is to abuse the gently caress out of the anima tree when you can. Having access to effectively endless psy levels is the one big advantage tribals have to make up for their weaknesses and getting early access to something like berserk pulse can completely trivialize a lot of threats.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
When there was only one set of footprints in the sand, that's when Mlie carried you

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Danaru posted:

When there was only one set of footprints in the sand, that's when Mlie carried you

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The thing about tribals and food isn't that they really need to preserve it, most food will happily last the year if kept indoors.

The issue is that they have very little food resiliance. If something happens to gently caress up your harvest, that's a big problem. You are very dependent on getting food in each year and you can't store it for more than a year without pemmican with tbh I think is inefficient enough to not really be worth it most of the time. Takes a tremendous amount of labour to produce.

I would probably suggest you might be better trying to get a monetary surplus and use that to buy food in an emergency, also plant a mix of crops, both long term stuff like corn but also rice, in case something takes out the corn. Food now is worth more than possible food later.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I wish they'd hurry up and patch kill-thirst, my goblins are going apeshit because they kill and they kill but receive no joy from it!!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

the value of pemmican is not preserving your vegetables, it's making use of and preserving your MEAT. if you're in a cold-ish biome it's very helpful to add meat to the short farming cycle. if you can farm many thousands of vegetables anyway per year then you don't really need to worry about pemmican or refrigeration.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can do that, though again it's so labour intensive that I would probably suggest instead, just make an unheated outbuilding, and hunt a pile of stuff when the winter hits and use the natural temperatures to freeze it over winter.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah I mean what to do with the meat you hunted up in the pre-freeze period. obviously if it's already that cold you don't need to bother you can just cook it into meals.
e:

quote:

Cynapse — Today at 4:11 PM
Version 1.4.3550 is up now on the unstable branch!
- Changes to drug-related genes:
- Addiction-resistant genes for psychite, wake-up and go juice have a 50% multiplier on overdose chance.
- Addiction-resistant genes for alcohol, smokeleaf and psychite provide a 50% reduction in tolerance buildup.
- Addiction-immune genes for psychite, wake-up and go juice grants immunity to overdoses from the drug.
- Addiction-immune genes for alcohol, smokeleaf and psychite provides a 100% reduction in tolerance buildup.
- Softened metabolism costs for smokeleaf and alcohol genes.
- Integrated artwork for bloodfeeders precepts, needle launcher and child tribalwear.
- Mechlinks only give the starting mechs once. Prevents an exploit where the player could get many starting mechs by killing/extracting/installing over and over.
- Added a tip explaining that armed children are less frequently targeted by hostiles.
- Players can sell genepacks currently inside gene banks. The bank must be within the beacon's radius for trading with ships.
- Chemically dependent xenotypes can take their desired drug by right clicking the drug, even if their ideoligion forbids it.
- Fix: If pawn is designated to enter a gene extractor but dies before they get there, the order is not cancelled.
- Fix typo: "colony is feels".
- Fix: Kid parka requires complex clothing to create. Tech level is now Neolithic.
- Fix: "Child labor: Encouraged" precept applies work speed bonus to all believers, not just children.
- Fix: Pollution goodwill loss during Archonexus questline.
- Fix: Ultraheavy boss mechs are never targetable by lances.
- Fix: Enslaving a pawn removes unwaveringly loyal.
- Fix: 'Missing ideo building' debuff after reforming an ideo, even if the building is present.
- Fix: Points not being set for pollution events.
- Fix: New joiners can spawn as the children of colonists who grew up in the colony.
- Fix: Prisoners can refuse to attend their own execution due to temperature in the ritual area.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 17, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well that's sort of my thing, I don't really hunt much during the warm period when I'm playing tribals precisely because it doesn't keep and you lose a lot of time turning it into pemmican which isn't great to eat anyway.

I generally hunt one animal at a time for leather and to minimise meat wastage, and rely on farmed crops during the warm season and then get a bunch of meat in when it gets cold because why not? Can run fancy meals for a while if I already have a lot of veggies.

If you have a very good cook who isn't good at anything else I guess the maths is different but genuinely I don't think I've ever done pemmican, just doesn't seem worth it for the faff compared to bulk meal cooking.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

*queues up execution*

"Whoa hey it's really cold in there, I'll pass"

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
If I was to be publically executed, I would simply say no thank you

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
I'm attempting my first Nexus run and was struggling to keep my two countesses happy while making it to my first harvest. The mix of starvation and no throne room is quite distressing to them.

Somehow I had forgotten that these are royalty. They have the god given right to summon food and labour from space damnit.

They now have enough food to last until the potatoes come in. As soon as the first harvest is ready they will summon a massive workforce to build a base worthy of their title and plant vast fields of food.

Suck poo poo poor colonies.

Edit: is there a way to get the mod to keep research when doing the Nexus thing *without* using steam?

yoloer420 fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 17, 2022

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I feel like cannibals should gain some great benefit from eating royals...

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Legally the colony cannot murder you without your consent

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Also I wish firefoam turrets weren't... useless? and poo poo? and just did what it kinda seems like they should do??

Like, I wanted an automatic fire suppression system that wasn't disposable because I'm consistantly doin' fights in one area which is routinely on fire but instead I have to try and send my vampires out to press the button on this ridiculous contraption before they lose their poo poo OR I just build firefoam poppers... over and over and over.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They are quite effective, but yes they are limited in where you can use them. Their best use, I think, is to support your front line. Place one so it covers your fighting positions and other turrets, activate it when a fire breaks out, it will periodically spray foam which will put out fires and give pawns temporary immunity to fire, and I believe the foam on the ground prevents objects from catching alight too? Not sure exactly. But you can do this for a little bit of chemfuel every fight and it's quite useful in that respect. Otherwise you want firefoam packs on your pawns, which can be used to trigger the same effect once per fight. A good use for any pawns that are in the backline or not combat capable.

If you want a reusable firefoam popper the dubs bad hygiene lets you build sprinkler systems which work similarly and only use water from a tank.

What is weird is the cooldown between bursts, I think it's too long as there is no realistic way you could empty the tank, and a fully automatic mode would probably be nice but I get why it isn't only automatic as it would spray foam everywhere all the time and it takes ages to clean.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 17, 2022

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
I just reloaded my game from the last autosave because a Zzztt happened and immediately killed the only baby in my colony with no notice. When I jumped over to the site of the zzztt my nearby colonists had already put out the fire, all marble walls and floors. The kid just stuck his finger in the wrong socket I guess.

I could have kept playing but geez that one hurt. I should insert a Randy Random/Michael Jordan "gently caress them kids" meme here.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Also, while makin' your genes: Heritable genes can't be transmitted with the gene transmitter archite thingo... Which is kinda annoying but you can just geneinject your dumb babies so its whatever.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Motherfucker posted:

OR I just build firefoam poppers... over and over and over.

firefoam poppers are very good for this yes.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I find raids with fire few and far between enough that poppers tend to be enough. I guess it gets annoying to rebuild if the imp faction is particularly agitated, but honestly I've never felt tempted to use the firefoam turret

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Playing tribal starts is cool because once you learn the tricks for managing a low infrastructure tribal game, you start using them with spacer starts too because the strategy is just generally good. If you can snag a power cell or two for a quest or mechanoid cluster, that'll cover an electric stove to make packaged survival meals and then you don't even need a freezer unless you get a huge influx of meat from a manhunter event or something. You can play a very comfortable game without ever building a hi-tech research bench and going on caravan adventures to buy guns and bionics and hospital beds instead.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I can't get away from peeps tryna set my poo poo on fire. Every raid sets SOMETHING on fire.

AND NOW MY PAWNS WON'T gently caress BECAUSE THEY DON'T SLEEP!! WHY MUST YOU FORSAKE ME GOD?!

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 17, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Danaru posted:

I find raids with fire few and far between enough that poppers tend to be enough. I guess it gets annoying to rebuild if the imp faction is particularly agitated, but honestly I've never felt tempted to use the firefoam turret

I put one at the front just so I always had some firefoam there, it's good if you have a bunker or some turrets you know are likely to eat an inferno round and you don't want to manually try to put them out. Just pop the turret and it'll probably get them, sort of like a firefoam pack that anyone can use.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
hostiles will always try to set something on fire. I had two guys, a kid and his parent, wanted to stay in the village for a few days. They go traitor. they try to burn town the house with them stuck inside. Everything is wooden besides the walls and the doors. They would have burned to death. Kid dies, father lives with one less leg as my permanent blood donor.

You had every reason to stay here, instead you both gonna die.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

Danaru posted:

Decided to take out simple concrete because my misfiring shitshow of a brain can't deal with having two different concretes both called the same thing. I have plenty of slate to pave with but it's slow going :negative: My pawns are probably happy to not have to stare at poured concrete floors all the time though

I had a playthrough where I basically installed all the medieval and tribal mods on the workshop, with all tech on the planet being limited to those two. Do you know how many mods add 'coal' as resources? And they were completely incompatible with one another. I eventually downloaded this mod that let you tell the game 'for this, this, and this, consider all of them to be option #1' and it would patch all the recipes and requirements by itself.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Geomancing posted:

I had a playthrough where I basically installed all the medieval and tribal mods on the workshop, with all tech on the planet being limited to those two. Do you know how many mods add 'coal' as resources? And they were completely incompatible with one another. I eventually downloaded this mod that let you tell the game 'for this, this, and this, consider all of them to be option #1' and it would patch all the recipes and requirements by itself.
Clean Coal!
Coal 2.0!
Coal but I hate mod author bensexhaver69 so I purposely made my mod not work with their stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I don't often have food problems as tribals. Just grow more corn! Corn lasts forever without refrigeration. Hunt enough to make fine meals with your corn. If you have to stop growing corn because you have a cold season then you can start hunting more. This works on any biome that isn't an ice sheet but you do need to plant more corn than you think you'll need. You're susceptible to a year's-long toxic fallout but that's pretty rare and you can always just pick up and leave to another tile. Growing and harvesting needs to be your highest priority to make all of this work

You can really have a lot of meat without refrigeration if you're strategic about spoilage timers. Don't just butcher stuff right away, that's over 2 days of extra spoilage time! And then meals last several days after that, so if you have meat about to go bad then you can dump it into meals real quick

Pemmican isn't for your day to day meals, it's for travel. Make a bit of it so you can caravan to a trading outpost easily, but keep it forbidden so your pawns aren't dipping into it for no reason. It's a good way to use up excess meat that's going bad soon but don't go out of your way to produce it.

Also, did you know that chocolate doesn't go bad? It's true! Cocoa trees are very good if you have a long enough growing season, definitely don't ignore them