Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
i cant tell id i prefer when the penguins are good and everyone wont stop posting about them, or when they are bad and everyone wont stop posting about them. no wait, clearly if the posting wont stop i also want the penguins to do poorly because i find it super easy to dislike the penguins as a team and the animal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Wonderllama posted:

i cant tell id i prefer when the penguins are good and everyone wont stop posting about them, or when they are bad and everyone wont stop posting about them. no wait, clearly if the posting wont stop i also want the penguins to do poorly because i find it super easy to dislike the penguins as a team and the animal

This but if the Penguins get Bedard I will be very, very upset.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I would put Zucker on the top powerplay and considering swapping the matchups of Malkin/Zucker/Rakell against top line and GCR with the easier match up. Either Rust has a nagging injury or he's lost a few step and there is almost no replacement in the line up for him.

I'd rather Rakell/Rust on pp1 because there's no rh shot option if he's not there except for Letang (lol)

Wonderllama posted:

fool. i will never stop posting about kasperi kapanen

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

I would put Zucker on the top powerplay and considering swapping the matchups of Malkin/Zucker/Rakell against top line and GCR with the easier match up. Either Rust has a nagging injury or he's lost a few step and there is almost no replacement in the line up for him.

The 5-6 times I've turned the Pens on this year, Zucker seems faster than he did the last couple? Not quite as fast as he was in his early 20s in Minnesota, but still plenty fast to gain a step and cause a d-zone breakdown. Guentzel should be that on Crosby's line, but he just seemed off his speed/timing a lot of shifts. Then completely on in other games. Maybe he's just hitting that spot in your late 20s where you start losing a step. They really need to make some moves even just looking toward next season either way. There's only two guys on the team under 26.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Ginette Reno posted:

I'd rather Rakell/Rust on pp1 because there's no rh shot option if he's not there except for Letang (lol)

fool. i will never stop posting about kasperi kapanen

Noooooo don't say his name, if you say his name he appears in your house and drifts aimlessly around for 45 seconds before returning whence he came

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Eric the Mauve posted:

Noooooo don't say his name, if you say his name he appears in your house and drifts aimlessly around for 45 seconds before returning whence he came

Maybe I could attach some Swiffer things to his feet or a broom and get a little cleaning done...

Speaking of powerplay stuff...man I can't remember the last time they had Geno on the half wall/circle just ripping 1 timers. They should go back to that look. Zucker in front and replace Letang with Petry firing for shinpads.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

I think the Caps are constitutionally incapable of standing down. Like they have never really done anything other than try and win since Ovi joined the team.

They have so many contracts coming off the books after this season that they really could do a minor tear-down at the trade deadline and shoot for a high draft pick. But just lol at a Lavy team ever, for example, punting on Lars Eller and Marcus Johansson so they could actually give McMichael ice time.

I think they need to consider this year lost at this point and proceed accordingly. Who do they realistically pass to make the playoffs this year? Carolina is a lock, New Jersey is legit great so far, NYR is playing well and just getting some poo poo luck now, and Pittsburgh even with their bad start still has much better underlyings than Washington. And then they have to hope the Islanders fall back to earth as well. And even if they do scrape into the playoffs they'll be one-and-done again.

That doesn't mean they need to undertake a 3-5 year rebuild, but they need to make some decisions. Laviolette needs to be canned yesterday. Guys like Eller, Johansson, Hathaway, and probably Sheary need to be traded. See if anyone would take on Oshie as well, though I kind of doubt it given his contract and injury history. They need to play McMichael at center and see what they have with him rather than dicking him around like they have been.

And they absolutely, 100% need to trade John Carlson. I've been banging this drum for a bit but the dude exemplifies everything that has been wrong with Washington the past few years. He's got skill but he's dumb as a rock, slow as hell, has been getting dinged up more often, and has completely cratered every postseason since 2018. But he should still have a ton of trade value around the league because he's a right handed D who scores a lot of points.

I think they need to do a mini-rebuild and try to compete for Ovechkin's final year or two, rather than trying to continually polish this turd.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah now Laviolette, I think he used to be a real good coach but that ended years ago and the Caps should (but hopefully won't) shitcan him.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Caps aren’t gonna poo poo can Lavy because the owner is cheap and won’t want to pay for two coaches. Dude wouldn’t give Trotz a raise after he won them the frickin Cup.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Caps aren’t gonna poo poo can Lavy because the owner is cheap and won’t want to pay for two coaches. Dude wouldn’t give Trotz a raise after he won them the frickin Cup.

Laviolette is in his final year of his contract. They're spending to the cap every year and they've fired plenty of coaches before their lame duck years (Boudreau, Oates, Rierden in recent memory). They might not fire him but I doubt it's because Leonsis doesn't want to pay Laviolette the rest of this year.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Still not convinced on the Islanders but if they're going to get insane goaltending then sure why not they can be the 2022 Rangers.

I think the East is settling in though. Pretty sure the top 8 now will be the playoff teams except like maybe the Isles for the Penguins if they ever get some goaltending.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

For teams as ancient as the Caps and Pens, unless the coach is massively incompetent (which Sullivan certainly isn't and I don't think Lavy is, either) I doubt a coaching change would make any difference. The team is just old as dirt with everything that entails. Firing the coach isn't likely to make old guys play harder or better. If their bodies can't do it anymore then their bodies can't do it anymore, and if they don't care then they don't care.

If Lavy was to be fired the time to do it was last summer. I'm skeptical doing it midseason will help, unless the team plays so poorly for so long that it becomes necessary for PR reasons.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

T-Bone posted:

Still not convinced on the Islanders but if they're going to get insane goaltending then sure why not they can be the 2022 Rangers.

I think the East is settling in though. Pretty sure the top 8 now will be the playoff teams except like maybe the Isles for the Penguins if they ever get some goaltending.

They have the best goaltending duo in hockey, getting good goaltending is kinda their thing

It's also why some of the different fancy stat sites projected them to win the metro or be in the mix in the preseason

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Iodised QQ posted:

They have the best goaltending duo in hockey, getting good goaltending is kinda their thing

they got "good" goaltending last year, this is Vezina caliber which is what it's going to take to get them in the playoffs

and now here's joy:

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1592898593337544704

e: lol at that Sabres heater in 18-19

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

T-Bone posted:

They're currently receiving better goaltending, thus far, than the Rangers last year. Isles are also scoring 57% of the 5v5 actual goals for while xG share is 47%. Last year the Rangers had a 4% gap of 51% actual and 47% expected. Point being all things are possible, but there is going to be regression at some point. Although the Caps and Pens are lawn darting while the Flyers we've expected and were waiting for have appeared so there is a decent opportunity to survive that regression.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 16, 2022

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

They're currently receiving better goaltending, this far, than the Rangers last year. Isles are also scoring 57% of the 5v5 actual goals for while xG share is 47%. Last year the Rangers had a 4% gap of 51% actual and 47% expected. Point being all things are possible, but there is going to be regression at some point. Although the Caps and Pens are lawn darting while the Flyers we've expected and were waiting for have appeared so there is a decent opportunity to survive that regression.

Yeah that's my main reasoning for keeping them in. The Pens and Sens are still tracking pretty well analytically but man they've had some rough loving starts. And then who else is there? The Caps if they miraculously get healthy? Detroit and Buffalo still look like another year or two away and then everyone else is just bad.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I thought he meant the Penguins replacing the Islanders in the playoffs if the Penguins get better goaltending

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Yeah that would be my main candidate at the moment. If the Isles goaltending drops off and the Pens picks up I could see it. As bad as Pittsburgh has looked lately they're the most capable of the non playoff teams.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

For teams as ancient as the Caps and Pens, unless the coach is massively incompetent (which Sullivan certainly isn't and I don't think Lavy is, either) I doubt a coaching change would make any difference. The team is just old as dirt with everything that entails. Firing the coach isn't likely to make old guys play harder or better. If their bodies can't do it anymore then their bodies can't do it anymore, and if they don't care then they don't care.

If Lavy was to be fired the time to do it was last summer. I'm skeptical doing it midseason will help, unless the team plays so poorly for so long that it becomes necessary for PR reasons.

I don't think a new coach is going to get Washington to the playoffs, but a new coach will play Connor McMichael instead of like Nicolas Aube-Kubel for instance. A new coach will give guys like Lucas Johansen and Alex Alexeyev chances instead of trotting out Matt Irwin and Erik Gustafsson night after night.

Washington needs to find out what they have with these players this season so that they know what they have to do next offseason. McMichael had a promising rookie year and then for whatever reason he's been jerked around by Laviolette this year. Is he or isn't he a top 6/9 center next year? We don't know at this point! And that's frustrating as hell.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
It’s frustrating that Ottawa has decent advanced stats this season because any poor soul that’s watched Sens hockey during DJ’s coaching tenure knows that the teams defensive play has been consistently awful. It’s now year 3 of being out of the playoff hunt by mid-November and Dorion pointing out “we have lost every game by 1 goal” is some absolute loser poo poo lol

Top-10 in the league in high danger scoring chances sounds cool, but how many of that is Brady just smashing pucks into a goalies pads in the crease?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Mind_Taker posted:

I think they need to consider this year lost at this point and proceed accordingly. Who do they realistically pass to make the playoffs this year? Carolina is a lock, New Jersey is legit great so far, NYR is playing well and just getting some poo poo luck now, and Pittsburgh even with their bad start still has much better underlyings than Washington. And then they have to hope the Islanders fall back to earth as well. And even if they do scrape into the playoffs they'll be one-and-done again.

That doesn't mean they need to undertake a 3-5 year rebuild, but they need to make some decisions. Laviolette needs to be canned yesterday. Guys like Eller, Johansson, Hathaway, and probably Sheary need to be traded. See if anyone would take on Oshie as well, though I kind of doubt it given his contract and injury history. They need to play McMichael at center and see what they have with him rather than dicking him around like they have been.

And they absolutely, 100% need to trade John Carlson. I've been banging this drum for a bit but the dude exemplifies everything that has been wrong with Washington the past few years. He's got skill but he's dumb as a rock, slow as hell, has been getting dinged up more often, and has completely cratered every postseason since 2018. But he should still have a ton of trade value around the league because he's a right handed D who scores a lot of points.

I think they need to do a mini-rebuild and try to compete for Ovechkin's final year or two, rather than trying to continually polish this turd.

I agree with you on Carlson, but I don't think they're going to touch the core and like it or not he is core.

I only watched part of the game last night, but holy poo poo does he look slow. Him trying to back-check on the Barkov breakaway... embarrassing.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

“we have lost every game by 1 goal” is some absolute loser poo poo lol

Right up there with "we've been in every game" which is technically an irrefutable statement but one meant to imply far more than it does. All the Canucks players use it constantly. It has become their go to statement now. The loser's lament.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

quote:

So this summer, Brodeur, along with general manager Tom Fitzgerald and New Jersey’s scouting department, extensively researched available goalies before landing Capitals backup Vitek Vanecek via trade on July 8.

Why Vanecek? His advanced metrics were appealing.

“We’ve done the right things in the last two years,” Brodeur told NJ Advance Media. “We went after (Corey) Crawford, who obviously had to retire for personal reasons. We went after (Jonathan) Bernier, next thing you know he needed a hip surgery. Then we addressed it again this summer in Vitek and it has been great.

“For us, we did a lot of homework on him. We knew how competitive and how he had to split time in Washington. We knew that, if given a chance, he would be successful. Sure, it’s a small sample, but we’re excited about it.”

Vanecek’s regular stat sheet was generic – he had a .908 save percentage and 20-12 record last season – but Brodeur saw his 8.23 goals saved above anticipated and knew he would pan out. Through 15 games this season, the early July investment is paying off.

I know they have a big analytics department, but interesting to hear the Devils actually acknowledge a specific case

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

T-Bone posted:

I know they have a big analytics department, but interesting to hear the Devils actually acknowledge a specific case

Imagine their analytics department hearing they got John Marino for Ty Smith and a 3rd

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Creamed their jorts and spilled their fair trade coffee

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Wings continue to be at least fun to watch, and immensely more competitive than last year

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I never thought I'd complain about Ryan Hartman being injured or not on the top line, but Freddy Gaudreau just doesn't have the hands or bulldog to post up and cause problems in front of the net. He's a good defensive center, but he's about half a tick slower on the hands than Hartman because of it and the scoring is just off right now.

One of those things where you don't quite know if a piece is really that important until you don't replace it with a similar piece in the squad. Greenway being out still and again also means that line isn't really working either.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1592969891640127489

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1592953831624962050

for gently caress's sake, Wysh

E: lmao he tries to clarify and just sticks his foot further into his own mouth

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1592980598804869120

DJExile fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 16, 2022

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Was there a large decline in fighting even? It felt fairly consistent from the last few years, but that’s a feeling and not numbers.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Did someone say Jonas Siegenthaler

https://twitter.com/CJTDevil/status/1592985580354568193?t=lWvPPXN_4x9G64IOBw-7Og&s=19

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jhet posted:

Was there a large decline in fighting even? It felt fairly consistent from the last few years, but that’s a feeling and not numbers.

https://www.hockeyfights.com/stats

it's seen a pretty significant drop over the last 10 years or so, yeah.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

all of the women in my life have loved the fighting in the nhl lmao

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

all of the women in my life have loved the fighting in the nhl lmao

date better women, duh

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

He's got a point, football is a violent sport and look how no women watch it

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DJExile posted:

https://www.hockeyfights.com/stats

it's seen a pretty significant drop over the last 10 years or so, yeah.

Last 10 years definitely, but I'm just talking 20-21 to 21-22 seasons. It seems to have leveled out around 0.15-0.2 fights per game and from my napkin math it's about 0.14 per game this season right now. So that tweet looks even dumber considering it's been about the same since 2018.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The Capitals, Penguins, and Bruins were the three teams that I thought might show their age coming into this year. But unlike the Capitals and Penguins, I now believe the Bruins will be a playoff team forever. Ok not forever, but for longer, anyway. Marchand, Bergeron, and Krejci are all 34 or older, but their other key players are either good for at least a few more years (Ullmark, Hall, Lindholm are 29/30) or younger (McAvoy 24, Pastrnak 26, Swayman 23, DeBrusk 26, etc). I don't think the Penguins or Capitals have anything equivalent.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The Capitals, Penguins, and Bruins were the three teams that I thought might show their age coming into this year. But unlike the Capitals and Penguins, I now believe the Bruins will be a playoff team forever. Ok not forever, but for longer, anyway. Marchand, Bergeron, and Krejci are all 34 or older, but their other key players are either good for at least a few more years (Ullmark, Hall, Lindholm are 29/30) or younger (McAvoy 24, Pastrnak 26, Swayman 23, DeBrusk 26, etc). I don't think the Penguins or Capitals have anything equivalent.

Guentzel/Rust I suppose for the Pens. Maybe add Rakell to that mix. But they're all at or near 30.

I figured the Pens had a year or two left of contending in them but given how things are going this year it might already be over.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1592953831624962050

for gently caress's sake, Wysh

E: lmao he tries to clarify and just sticks his foot further into his own mouth

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1592980598804869120

Ah yes, the gentler sex can’t stomach fisticuffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Ginette Reno posted:

Guentzel/Rust I suppose for the Pens. Maybe add Rakell to that mix. But they're all at or near 30.

I figured the Pens had a year or two left of contending in them but given how things are going this year it might already be over.

Oh yea, I didn't mean that the Penguins or Capitals have nothing left once their stars are gone, because they definitely do. It just seems like they don't have enough left to make me think they'll stay in the playoff picture. Guentzel, Rust, and Rakell are good players, but outside of Guentzel I wouldn't really consider them guys you build a roster around, and even he is borderline. Capitals have Kuznetsov (who's already 30) and... I guess Mantha? Strome maybe? Feels like they're in an even weaker position.