Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

best wishes and support to you all up there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

sick tactic

https://twitter.com/uaw2865/status/1592906522702798853

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i saw a UPS truck cross a picket line at a UC

i wonder if the teamsters have a scab report line

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Throw this on the pile of UAW nonsense: the leadership basically lied at the most recent convention and undercounted their accounting value (including the strike fund) by nearly $500,000,000 dollars

https://theintercept.com/2022/11/16/uaw-union-election-strike-fund/

I really hope these scumbags get ousted, but even if some do there's a long road ahead for these institutions to actually start loving using their massive resources to fuel organizing efforts instead of just sitting on huge piles of investment cash and real estate.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
ok sometimes you just find $500,000,000 in your old pair of jeans though

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the UAW Members United people have been sending me tons of long campaign emails. makes me kind of worried that they're online-only meme candidates a la shahid buttar

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

nah they have a real presence in the union, their caucus was able to make actual reformist changes to the constitution at the convention which was the first time anything got passed against leadership's will in like 30+ years. They face a lot of institutional challenges and I wouldn't be surprised if some their candidates lose since it's the first time running anybody and the caucus has only been around for 3 years or so. But if you care about the direction of the UAW you should not only vote for that slate but look into UAWD, they'll be doing rnf work win or lose.

The turbo online meme candidate is will Lehman some WSWS.org freak who wants to abolish the UAW bc it's a decadent 1st world labor aristocracy or something.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
lmao of course it’s WSWS

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ok yeah it's been will that's mostly been emailing me with long essays. so him being the designated wsws wrecker sent to derail the left faction tracks

kingcobweb posted:

lmao of course it’s WSWS

wsws has never found a union it didn't think was a bourgeois labor aristocracy controlled by the democrat party

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
one of the most important things of labor organizing is being able to Shut Da gently caress Up which is why trots struggle so much with it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

theres another turbo-online candidacy but its a boomer midwest guy who posts poo poo on facebook 24/7 about kicking people's asses and i think he actually has somewhat of a following in michigan which houses the majority of UAW membership, especially retirees. the presidential ballot is gonna split really weirdly b/w these fringes, the most hated incumbent in history and a reformist caucus w/ not a lot of history. i cant wait for the results

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

https://twitter.com/LaurenKGurley/status/1593187374271729664

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
i biked past some starbucks workers on a picket line this morning on the way to work. good on em

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I don't have any unionized Starbucks locations near me :(

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I was surprised but not surprised to see that the Miami locations that attempted to unionize failed to do so :(

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/PAME_Greece/status/1593238783629021184

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i heard that UPS management is delivering the packages now lol

some sort of fish
Apr 25, 2011
mildly concerning

https://twitter.com/payusmoreucsc/status/1593656162431356929?s=20&t=55lZ8SfUjAX8y0efz9bCgg

pretty sure the berekley, sc, and la membership will literally lynch the bargaining unit if they do a formal proposal to strip cola langauge from bargaining.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
pwease staff the agency that can get my job back uwu

https://twitter.com/jamieson/status/1593649958971899906

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

They are really speed running the failure of legal avenues for progressive change. Wonder what the only option will be.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Cpt_Obvious posted:

They are really speed running the failure of legal avenues for progressive change. Wonder what the only option will be.

Vote!

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

I was trying to vote (yes for a union) but there was voter suppression (got fired)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

some sort of fish posted:

mildly concerning

https://twitter.com/payusmoreucsc/status/1593656162431356929?s=20&t=55lZ8SfUjAX8y0efz9bCgg

pretty sure the berekley, sc, and la membership will literally lynch the bargaining unit if they do a formal proposal to strip cola langauge from bargaining.

I'm pretty sure this is total bullshit that was made up by wreckers.

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 04:40 on Nov 19, 2022

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm hearing that the bargaining team did in fact vote to remove COLA from the list of demands. Hope everyone on the line organizes a No vote if they try to push a weak contract through ratification

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

In Training posted:

I'm hearing that the bargaining team did in fact vote to remove COLA from the list of demands. Hope everyone on the line organizes a No vote if they try to push a weak contract through ratification
jesus loving christ

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the bargaining update that went out last night still has it in there

quote:

The key concepts in our wage proposal are:
A 54k base wage for graduate workers
An experience-based equitable step scale
High base step for all SRs with raises between steps tied to cost of living
Like other academic jobs, SRs should be paid more with more experience
Raises on all our pay to ensure a cost of living adjustment
We should receive raises on all compensation – including “student support” money of bonuses/top-offs/fellowships
This would eliminate loopholes for UC to underpay SRs and stop many SRs from receiving wage increases
Annual raises that reflect rent increases
All SRs should receive annual % increases that address rent increases across the state.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Maybe it's online fake news stuff then. Cant trust anybody these days ,

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i was at one of the huge rallies on friday and a couple people were walking through the crowd handing out a huge pile of flyers with WSWS branding saying that it had happened on thursday and everyone needs to organize a recall of the bargaining team. it seems like a cointelpro style organized disinformation campaign at this point

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

very bizarre. I'm just skittish bc ive send first-hand what UAW international staff have done to gently caress with contracts, demands and strategies, even specifically in higher Ed strike campaigns and don't put anything past them. A COLA win at this scale, especially after decades of cola protections basically being a total dream, would be so incredibly inspiring and I really hope you all pull it off

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

i was at one of the huge rallies on friday and a couple people were walking through the crowd handing out a huge pile of flyers with WSWS branding saying that it had happened on thursday and everyone needs to organize a recall of the bargaining team. it seems like a cointelpro style organized disinformation campaign at this point

i don't think cops have the cleverness to be as annoying as WSWS

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

well, there's nobody from UAW International on the bargaining team, it's just the elected unit chair and recording secretary from each campus plus i guess some of the statewide elected leadership, who are all members of the locals. idk how much influence the parent org really has over us, the first time i ever saw anyone from international in like 10 years was a couple weeks ago when they came to teach us how to sign people up for strike pay (I've never been part of elected leadership tho). it could be possible that they're pushing us to settle behind the scenes but i haven't heard any gossip to that effect.

Where are you hearing that the cola demand was dropped?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

well, there's nobody from UAW International on the bargaining team, it's just the elected unit chair and recording secretary from each campus plus i guess some of the statewide elected leadership, who are all members of the locals. idk how much influence the parent org really has over us, the first time i ever saw anyone from international in like 10 years was a couple weeks ago when they came to teach us how to sign people up for strike pay (I've never been part of elected leadership tho). it could be possible that they're pushing us to settle behind the scenes but i haven't heard any gossip to that effect.

Where are you hearing that the cola demand was dropped?

a friend texting me Twitter bullshit lol

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
I'm currently reading a book about the farm equipment workers union and I'm in the part where the UAW committed a ton of resources to ejecting them from the CIO and raiding their locals lol

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Tom Smykowski posted:

I'm currently reading a book about the farm equipment workers union and I'm in the part where the UAW committed a ton of resources to ejecting them from the CIO and raiding their locals lol

what's the book? let me guess, the farm equipment workers were commies?

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
The Long Deep Grudge: A Story of Big Capital, Radical Labor, and Class War in the American Heartland

So ya lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The big unions purged all the communists and then labor started eating poo poo for decades, i wonder if these two things could possibly be related

some sort of fish
Apr 25, 2011

In Training posted:

so this is 100% wrong.

Shear Modulus posted:

I'm friends with people on one of the uc bargaining team. the summary i've got is essentially: the SRA bargaining unit put forward an off the record proposal that kept the current requested raise increase in (54k), but removed the COLA peg. the UCs did not react to this proposal at all.

uaw update posted:

Additionally, today, UC requested an off-the-record conversation to ask questions about the concepts that we proposed this past week as part of our wage proposal.

the language from the bargaining update today seems to confirm this.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i figured that if it was anything it was going to be a supposal. kind of surprised that UC didn't even react to the suggestion though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

some sort of fish posted:

so this is 100% wrong.

I'm friends with people on one of the uc bargaining team. the summary i've got is essentially: the SRA bargaining unit put forward an off the record proposal that kept the current requested raise increase in (54k), but removed the COLA peg. the UCs did not react to this proposal at all.

the language from the bargaining update today seems to confirm this.

thanks for the clarification, im gonna stop trying to follow this from way away the strike line, don't want to be part of any misinfo dissemination etc. hope you all can hold strong through any of this internal nonsense while also fighting your bosses!