Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Info on pre-order beta and performance tuning.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1361210/view/3467237196841875532

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1361210/view/3467237196841631255

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Boltgun in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRBvHQPLTPM

I love the music for this mission

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Tagichatn posted:

Check your local time with this handy infographic

I'm screaming at the first image.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

ZombyDog posted:

Boltgun in action

Like I said earlier, one of the few devs to really nail the boltgun's feel. A miniature hand-held rocket launcher, not just an assault rifle which is how it's often portrayed.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Preorder info: https://www.playdarktide.com/news/pre-order-beta-what-to-expect

No commitment on keeping early access progress but it does have a road map.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

All you pre-order havers need to find out if there are levels that aren't Drab Industrial Corridor #4551

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That bolt gun looks amazing and ridiculously OP.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Zephro posted:

All you pre-order havers need to find out if there are levels that aren't Drab Industrial Corridor #4551
First 30 seconds of this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwuL58xeyv0

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'm not a game developer but having a three week piecemeal rollout going from 4 missions on 4 possible zones to a "full release" of 13 missions in 5 zones really sounds like they're going to be building the airplane while it's in flight, here

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Tempering expectations before release I suppose

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Cowcaster posted:

i'm not a game developer but having a three week piecemeal rollout going from 4 missions on 4 possible zones to a "full release" of 13 missions in 5 zones really sounds like they're going to be building the airplane while it's in flight, here

I'm willing to bet all that stuff is already built and (mostly) ready for roll-out. They're just spacing it out to build hype among the ultra hardcore parts of the playerbase.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Eh... it doesn't seem any different than a soft launch in other contexts. Reduce the amount of problems you might encounter right off the bat and then slowly turn the tap on depending on how things go. Certainly could be building it as they go, but it doesn't seem like a given to me.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
That performance blog is worth the read, lotta detail on which settings impact what - which for a cpu-bottlenecked system like mine is handy to know

Unfortunately no details on worker thread setting, I know what it says its supposed to do, but it seems like experiences vary wildly on whether you should increase or decrease it depending on how many cores you have and what the setting is at. Should it match physical cores? Less?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i guess slow rolling it to build hype is a possibility but i would've expected putting in everything that's in a fit state to ship in the "beta" from the get-go with a single update of the stuff finished over the course of the beta at launch, myself. the problem with trickling out updates is whatever gets cut in a day before the full launch is going to have however many days fewer of testing under its belt than the stuff that was there at the beginning.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 16, 2022

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Having read the blog and looked at a few videos, I'm wondering if it's even worth me buying it. I have a 3600 and a 1060 which doesn't sound like it's going to work very well (from the chart, even with FSR on and the settings down I can expect a fair bit less than 60fps). And while I'm interested in the game I'm not sure I'm £400 of interested or whatever an "entry-level" (lol) GPU is going for these days.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 16, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm not sure I'd want to play this game on a 1060.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Tagichatn posted:

Check your local time with this handy infographic

lmao

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm not sure I'd want to play this game on a 1060.

lol

I was running the beta on a 970m. Though I'ma wait at least until I hear how Al-Saqr's beta experience goes.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Zephro posted:

Having read the blog and looked at a few videos, I'm wondering if it's even worth me buying it. I have a 3600 and a 1060 which doesn't sound like it's going to work very well (from the chart, even with FSR on and the settings down I can expect a fair bit less than 60fps). And while I'm interested in the game I'm not sure I'm £400 of interested or whatever an "entry-level" (lol) GPU is going for these days.

if you have a gamepass subscription it'll be on that on the 30th, you can just give it a test drive there for "free" and see how it goes

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

Eh... it doesn't seem any different than a soft launch in other contexts. Reduce the amount of problems you might encounter right off the bat and then slowly turn the tap on depending on how things go. Certainly could be building it as they go, but it doesn't seem like a given to me.

It's just so much easier when you know that when your janky game comes into contact with tens of thousands of players then a whole bunch more bugs are going to come out, then you can start work on them and get to launch with a day zero patch and a narrative of 'already fixing it!'

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I was playing the beta on an i7 8750 and a rtx 980 on an eGPU dock on low settings and it was playing fine. You Wilbraham be able to play with the fancy settings on but a 1060 should get you rolling on low with minimal fuss.

I've since rebuilt my pc to a ryzen 5 7600 + RTX 3070, so I should be good for a relatively pleasant experience on medium-high

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Corbeau posted:

lol

I was running the beta on a 970m. Though I'ma wait at least until I hear how Al-Saqr's beta experience goes.

DeathSandwich posted:

I was playing the beta on an i7 8750 and a rtx 980 on an eGPU dock on low settings and it was playing fine. You Wilbraham be able to play with the fancy settings on but a 1060 should get you rolling on low with minimal fuss.

I've since rebuilt my pc to a ryzen 5 7600 + RTX 3070, so I should be good for a relatively pleasant experience on medium-high

I stand corrected, thank you! You still have my sympathies.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'll also point out that i've been blessed with a 3080 ti and my performance during the closed beta left a lot to be desired, i think there's less accounting for horsepower here as much as "certain system configurations" roulette

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Zephro posted:

I played the earlier beta on a 6th gen i7 and a gtx960 and it did okay. I'm not going to make any claims of silky-smooth gameplay, but it was functional and you could still tell what was going on.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Hm, OK. Maybe Gamepass is a good shout. Or I guess I can just refund it on Steam. Maybe the release version will be better optimised, too...

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Zephro posted:

Hm, OK. Maybe Gamepass is a good shout. Or I guess I can just refund it on Steam. Maybe the release version will be better optimised, too...

Have you considered Geforce now? If you have a good internet connection and if you can deal with the input latency, its a good option if you cant get it to run locally in any decent way.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

ZombyDog posted:

Boltgun in action

goty

Estel
May 4, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

They do it this way because if they put the full game in the closed beta I can assure you there will be players that have played every mission and are in the endgame by the end of the first week

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Fishstick posted:

Have you considered Geforce now? If you have a good internet connection and if you can deal with the input latency, its a good option if you cant get it to run locally in any decent way.
From experience with VT I expect the input lag would be a bit annoying, but it's one to consider. Thanks!

Zephro fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 16, 2022

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Fishstick posted:

I actually used GeForce now to play cyberpunk 2077 back when that was new (because I'm an idiot) and it was shockingly snappy on rural-ish cable modem. It's certainly an option if you can spring the $5 /month

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Estel posted:

They do it this way because if they put the full game in the closed beta I can assure you there will be players that have played every mission and are in the endgame by the end of the first week

How mad are those players going to be when their progress is reset?

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Maybe the wrong thread, but is there a way to make steam start downloading something when it goes live or am I gonna have to get up at 5am to manually start it downloading?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

in THEORY if you leave your computer awake with steam running and have the steam mobile app on your phone you can tell your computer to start downloading it from there, but i haven't used that functionality in like 10 years so i'm not sure if it's still a thing or not

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

field balm posted:

Maybe the wrong thread, but is there a way to make steam start downloading something when it goes live or am I gonna have to get up at 5am to manually start it downloading?

The easiest trick if you dont wanna gently caress with the app is to simply make a run-once windows task to start steam sometime shortly after the game is supposed to release, and shut Steam down beforehand making sure automatic downloads are enabled in settings. That is all assuming you have steam set to autologin and such

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

field balm posted:

Well it's 11am here and still no download, which is a shame because I've been instructed to take the day off and rest.

EDIT: What's worse is I'm waiting on a delivery I need to sign for and it's a lovely day.

EDIT EDIT: Oh this is glorious; the delivery will be tomorrow along with the Beta 'cause I suck at reading dates.

Rougey fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 17, 2022

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Probably not gonna be a download until it goes live in ~15.5 hours

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Cool.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Flavahbeast posted:

Probably not gonna be a download until it goes live in ~15.5 hours

I'm an idiot who though today was the 18th... I probably do need to have a rest.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Wait, so progress in the 'beta' isn't going to be saved? Because gently caress no if that's the case. I'll wait till the end of the month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

they're hoping nothing will be wiped but they reserve the right to wipe if something goes wrong

so during the beta if something corrupts character data or everyones stats glitch to 9999 they're not going to painstakingly go through the database and correct it, they'll just wipe