Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

No Wave posted:

Imagine your retreat button was disabled. Would you end up giving more cubes to your opponents?

I'd yolo and win games I thought I might lose otherwise which is exactly what I'm complaining about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Squiggly posted:

I'd yolo and win games I thought I might lose otherwise which is exactly what I'm complaining about

You’re going to notice the games where they yolo and win but overall you’re going to win way more games where you snap and they stay (4 cubes for you) and will have way fewer 1-cube wins

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah I'm only in silver so far but the name of the game seems to be taking suckers for 8 cubes to more than offset the times you retreated for a one cube loss.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Squiggly posted:

Snap is poker - Snapping is raising/calling, and so is sticking out the reveal after the game, all of which double the stakes.

Retreating is folding.

It's laughable to say that your opponent being unable/unwilling to fold will lose you equity - you need to be smarter about knowing how and when to fold your hand. Retreating is not losing; netting negative cubes over time is losing.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I've seen rumors that you get matched vs opponents depending on how strong the cards in your deck are. Is this baseless? I've faced complete garbage opponents when queueing falcon+beast (two of the lowest winrate cards in the game) but maybe just lucky?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
~Oh ya gotta know when to snap it
Know when to tap it
Know when to tap retreat
It's not the same as defeat~

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Devor posted:

Snap is poker - Snapping is raising/calling, and so is sticking out the reveal after the game, all of which double the stakes.

Retreating is folding.

It's laughable to say that your opponent being unable/unwilling to fold will lose you equity - you need to be smarter about knowing how and when to fold your hand. Retreating is not losing; netting negative cubes over time is losing.

Yes, and how many times do you snap when you have a good hand only to find your oppo has an answer or an even better hand?

How often do you stay in the game when it's a literal 50/50?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Squiggly posted:

Yes, and how many times do you snap when you have a good hand only to find your oppo has an answer or an even better hand?

How often do you stay in the game when it's a literal 50/50?
It's always correct to stay on a 50/50.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I wonder if the onslaught mystic combo just keeps doubling each others doubling until the program just hits an arbitrary number that the programmers put in so poo poo wouldn’t crash.

I knew I liked this game. I’m a sucker for infinite combos

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
I've been playing a simple Destroy deck against some wild Move decks and the end-game chaos that unfolds is amazing. Winning 2 lanes 0/3 because I played Destroy with Colossus/Wolverine out and my opponent blindly Heimdall'ed all his dudes to the left lane... :chef:

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

No Wave posted:

It's always correct to stay on a 50/50.

Literal 50/50s seem like they should be both players hitting retreat later

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

buffalo all day posted:

You’re going to notice the games where they yolo and win but overall you’re going to win way more games where you snap and they stay (4 cubes for you) and will have way fewer 1-cube wins

This

Tilt is real

Ubersandwich
Jun 1, 2003

I feel like I'm in a weird mid-pool 2 place. I'm treading water at 70 after Kazoo took me there, but between people counting the meta, the Warrior Falls thunderdome limiting drop spaces AND probably me forming poo poo habits I need to break with the deck, it feels like I need to try something else for a minute.

The "weird place" comes from looking at deck lists, I seem to be a Storm away from a solid control deck, a Killmonger away from a couple decks, I don't have Cloak to complete a move deck, etc.

Mostly just bitching here, probably just go back to Dino while Warrior Falls is featured and grind some credits for cards.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Squiggly posted:

It's not, retreat is a guaranteed cube loss and the EV of staying in a 50/50 is zero (no matter what the cube stakes are).

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Squiggly posted:

This isn't right.

Say it's turn 6, both of you have snapped, so it's 4 now and 8 if you both stay in.

On a 50/50, and you both stay in, you would on average win half the time, and lose half the time. So you either win 8 or lose 8, and in the long run you would break even.

If you hit retreat, you lose 4 each time.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Squiggly posted:

In a perfect 50/50 you should always stay. Imagine there's 1 cube on the line, doubling to 2 after the game.

Stay/win: +2
Stay/lose: -2
Leave/win: -1
Leave/lose: -1

EV for staying is 0, EV for leaving is -1. That said, Snap games are rarely perfect 50/50s, and even when they are, you almost certainly don't know that.

To circle back to the original post, it definitely sucks to lose a game because a player "should've" bailed and didn't and then won, but just because your mental calculus says they should've retreated doesn't mean theirs did. So long as you still have the option to retreat, there's no significant advantage or disadvantage to your opponent not retreating.

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

No Wave posted:

It's not, retreat is a guaranteed cube loss and the EV of staying in a 50/50 is zero (no matter what the cube stakes are).

Except both players retreating means no cube loss

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
Not trying to be pedantic I do see what you're saying but retreat later with both players means no cube loss or gain and that does not seem to factor in to what you all are saying?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Devor posted:

Retreating is folding.

Snap does not use real money (cubes are more valuable). Snap doesn't have verbal or physical tells. You know if you're winning in Snap and if it's impossible (assuming decide to Galactus their board or something) to win. People don't really bluff. Snap isn't poker.

Squiggly posted:

Not trying to be pedantic I do see what you're saying but retreat later with both players means no cube loss or gain and that does not seem to factor in to what you all are saying?

Retreating will never gain you cubes, while sometimes sticking in when you think it's 50% will because of people who retreat.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 16, 2022

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Squiggly posted:

Except both players retreating means no cube loss

Correct! You are assuming your opponent also clicks Retreat Later, which is not a given.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I have never clicked retreat later. I hope I never do.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

No Wave posted:

I don't generally have the patience to wait for what is probably a 1% chance of them retreating too. I have clicked it and I don't think it has ever gained me anything.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 16, 2022

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

No Wave posted:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Retreat later is so weird because you're hoping your opponent quits. But you could just ... hope they quit without taping that button?? And get cubes???

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's great that it's there because roping a retreat would be the meta optimal thing to do if you're obsessed with cubes. It's just not where I want my brain to be.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

How is priority determined? Who reveals cards first? It feels random

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Bread Set Jettison posted:

How is priority determined? Who reveals cards first? It feels random
not random. the person who would win the game if the game ended now reveals first. In a tie it's random. See the top of screen, name with a gold outline around it will reveal first.

In general this is a good mechanic but it's why sera is such an unfair card.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 16, 2022

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

WarEternal posted:

My first pool 3 cards being quake, wasp and goose when I'm facing decks with Doctor Doom and Sera has kinda killed my enthusiasm to be playing. Pool 1 & 2 felt really good when I was on an even footing.

Yeah, once you hit CL 600 it looks like it cracks matchmaking wide open.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I think matchmaking is heavily tied to CL. once you get high enough you'll start running into beta players consistently

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

No Wave posted:

not random. the person who would win the game if the game ended now reveals first. In a tie it's random. See the top of screen, name with a gold outline around it will reveal first.

The indicator moves way late in turns 1-3. Really should indicate priority before the location is revealed. That has hosed me a couple of times.

Mushrooman
Apr 16, 2003

Disco Dancin'
Aero or Magneto into Warrior Falls is pretty good.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
Any else get massive lag when Warrior Falls resolves? Sometimes takes what feels like at least 10 seconds to figure out who's dead and actually remove them. Have worried a couple of times that my game has soft-locked or lost connectivity.

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009

Vulpes posted:

Any else get massive lag when Warrior Falls resolves? Sometimes takes what feels like at least 10 seconds to figure out who's dead and actually remove them. Have worried a couple of times that my game has soft-locked or lost connectivity.

Definitely experiencing this too

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Vulpes posted:

I don't even think it's lag, but something is definitely wonked behind the scenes with Warrior Falls resolving yeah.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Yeah doubly so if nova dies.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

No Wave posted:

Wait how does Sera interact?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

goferchan posted:

Wait how does Sera interact?
Because when your gameplan is to play 12+ mana of units turn 6 and come back from behind the stuff you play is mostly non-interactable.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

well cracked 90 tonight, played up from 80 on the strength of this deck (currently hoarding credits at CL594)

# (1) Nova
# (2) Angela
# (2) Scorpion
# (2) Sentinel
# (3) Mister Fantastic
# (3) Cosmo
# (3) Killmonger
# (4) Shang-Chi
# (4) Moon Girl
# (4) White Queen
# (5) Devil Dinosaur
# (5) Vision
#
eyJDYXJkcyI6W3siQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiRGV2aWxEaW5vc2F1ciJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiU2NvcnBpb24ifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IlNlbnRpbmVsIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJWaXNpb24ifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IldoaXRlUXVlZW4ifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IktpbGxtb25nZXIifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6Ik1vb25HaXJsIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJTaGFuZ0NoaSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiQ29zbW8ifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6Ik1yRmFudGFzdGljIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJOb3ZhIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJBbmdlbGEifV19
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and paste it from the deck editing menu in Snap.

It’s pretty great! You can win with regular moon/Dino shenanigans, but vision will win you tons of games with all the people running storm, and you can surprise people and bust up their game plans with cosmo, killmonger and Shang-chi.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

No Wave posted:

Because when your gameplan is to play 12+ mana of units turn 6 and come back from behind the stuff you play is mostly non-interactable.

Ah I gotcha. Yeah most of the swingiest interaction is definitely stuff you want to play second on (i.e. destroy effects) but I like that there are others where you want to go first, like Cosmo or Professor X to stop cards moving/being added. Juggernaut moves the enemy card either way but typically you're better off going first to avoid any lane-targeted on reveal effects

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

buffalo all day posted:

well cracked 90 tonight, played up from 80 on the strength of this deck (currently hoarding credits at CL594)

# (1) Nova
# (2) Angela
# (2) Scorpion
# (2) Sentinel
# (3) Mister Fantastic
# (3) Cosmo
# (3) Killmonger
# (4) Shang-Chi
# (4) Moon Girl
# (4) White Queen
# (5) Devil Dinosaur
# (5) Vision
#
eyJDYXJkcyI6W3siQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiRGV2aWxEaW5vc2F1ciJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiU2NvcnBpb24ifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IlNlbnRpbmVsIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJWaXNpb24ifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IldoaXRlUXVlZW4ifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IktpbGxtb25nZXIifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6Ik1vb25HaXJsIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJTaGFuZ0NoaSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiQ29zbW8ifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6Ik1yRmFudGFzdGljIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJOb3ZhIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJBbmdlbGEifV19
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and paste it from the deck editing menu in Snap.

It’s pretty great! You can win with regular moon/Dino shenanigans, but vision will win you tons of games with all the people running storm, and you can surprise people and bust up their game plans with cosmo, killmonger and Shang-chi.

Well, I genuinely appreciate this post cuz I obviously have to "git gud", thanks for the deck list.