Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Ebola Dog posted:

It was actually recently discovered where European eels breed, turns out they migrate about 10,000 km to the Sargasso sea.

But yes, don't eat eels!

I remember being told about the Sargasso Sea on a school trip to a local eel fishery so I suspect this is one of those things that's been sort-of known or suspected for a long time but only recently proven.

After exhausting the few local museums my school started to stretch to find trip venues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Scarodactyl posted:

You can eat those isopods but they are apparently not very tasty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-UuS_YSPKk

Not sure I recommend this vid but it's interesting.
If a professional master chef can't make you look appetizing, I think you're pretty safe as a species. Based on what's been posted in this thread I believe eels have tried their best at this but didn't quite achieve success.

Zero_Grade has a new favorite as of 15:23 on Nov 16, 2022

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It took a long while for people to figure out because it's weird. They seem like pretty different creatures in the larval stage. Weird reverse-salmon. Things didn't even seem to have sex organs. Sigmund Freud as a grad student had a horrible time dissecting hundreds of eels looking for testicles and never could find any, and now we know that they only develop those on the trip back to the spawning ground.

There's still a lot we don't know about them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

and that is why sigmund freud was like that

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Just trying to imagine Freud failing again and again to establish the gender and sexuality of eels is hilarious.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Can’t we have David Attenborough just follow the eels around to see how they mate?

That turkey beer for dogs looks genuinely intriguing. I’d be tempted to sip a bit.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Real schad on Freud am I right

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Eel balls, never found.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Weird timing but this video just came out a few days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhrZtsH9-7c

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

SlothfulCobra posted:

as a grad student had a horrible time looking for testicles and never could find any,

:same:

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

We have such unseen Turkish meats to show you.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I never want to go to Turkey now.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

JFC don’t give carbonated beverages to your pets

I went on a long walk with our dog a few summers back and forgot to pack her drinking water. She got pretty overheated and as a last resort I poured some sparkling water I had into her travel bowl.

The look of disappointment and betrayal she gave me after trying it remains with me to this day.

Thankfully a kindly stranger gave us some spare water.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I went on a long walk with our dog a few summers back and forgot to pack her drinking water. She got pretty overheated and as a last resort I poured some sparkling water I had into her travel bowl.

The look of disappointment and betrayal she gave me after trying it remains with me to this day.

Good dog, that's how I look at a waiter when they give me it too.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

This popped up in my feed. If you've spent time in japan, it's a clean place but when it comes to food safety they think they're above it sometimes and this is a bad case:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9gLECDj45M
guy is clearly very capable but too old to keep things clean, and it's really bad in that cart:

preppin dogs on the gross burnt out toaster oven

but hey, people line up around the block to eat it!

LifeSunDeath has a new favorite as of 23:12 on Nov 16, 2022

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

LifeSunDeath posted:

I don't know, the lamb in the subsequent location looks absolutely delicious. And the cheese dessert. Just not the...stomach thing.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
gently caress it, I'd eat there

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dareon posted:

When I fantasize about owning a restaurant, one of the sections of the menu will just be labeled "Mess". You pick (broadly) a carb, a meat, and a fluid, and we'll scramble them all together or pour two atop a third. Ramen, egg, and ham. Potatoes, Velveeta, and bacon bits. Wheat toast, ground beef, and cream gravy. Pumpernickel, alfredo, and liver.

In terms of getting nutrition into your body, it's a decent enough application. But I'm under no illusions that it's something appealing enough to go out for regularly.

Congrats on making what i think is the perfect drunk food

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i wonder if the Pistachio Man would make me a batch of pistachio sheep stomachs.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

LifeSunDeath posted:

There's some good looking stuff but I don't post it here because it's the afp thread not the Interesting Foods thread

im a big fan of their variety of happy hefty dudes doing stuff with food

(has sound)
https://i.imgur.com/nUDZnYE.mp4

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

AARD VARKMAN posted:

There's some good looking stuff

Just give me all the baklava and none of the weirder haggis

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

LifeSunDeath posted:

I know you're joking but I've worked in a Turkish kitchen most summers in the last decade and it's one of my favourite cuisines in the world. Astounding variety due to all the influences of the former Ottoman empire and the geographical range of Turkey alone.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Someone sure took a lot of time to draw a character and rotoscope it over a Fleischman animation from the ‘30s

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Someone sure took a lot of time to draw a character and rotoscope it over a Fleischman animation from the ‘30s

that belly could star in an animated feature all on its own.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
all hail the Turkish preserved meat cube, canned "Winter" Kavurma https://i.imgur.com/yyZ8SSR.mp4

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

nutrient loaf, I'm into it. guts impreg meal I'm not into.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
tired: nutrient loaf
wired: nutria loaf

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

please hand me my cooking adze.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

tired: nutrient loaf
wired: nutria loaf

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I remember being told about the Sargasso Sea on a school trip to a local eel fishery so I suspect this is one of those things that's been sort-of known or suspected for a long time but only recently proven.

After exhausting the few local museums my school started to stretch to find trip venues.

My class went on a field trip to the local sewage treatment facility. Shortly after the weather dropped below freezing, so it was an attractive nuisance to throw rocks into the frozen-over settlement ponds.

Hirayuki posted:

Fries, cheese curds, gravy. Ça va faire une maudite poutine!

Yeah, like, structurally, "three things together" covers a lot of popular foods. It's just when you start thinking about those things on a list that can be swapped between that things start getting weird.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

AARD VARKMAN posted:

all hail the Turkish preserved meat cube, canned "Winter" Kavurma https://i.imgur.com/yyZ8SSR.mp4

Thanks, that sorts out what I'm bringing to family Thanksgiving.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

First of May posted:

Thanks, that sorts out what I'm bringing to family Thanksgiving.

A large knife and a meat mallet? :ohdear:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Would, immediately.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
https://twitter.com/silentmemories3/status/1593058052617293824?s=46&t=7Poj04xeWeJkbDmh7oQTVQ

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
has twerking evolved to the belly

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

you can twerk any body part if you're powerful enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender