Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Maybe he is banking on Trump not ordering his death again. Probably hoping to run as VP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

You might want to talk to Steve Bannon about that.

Pence knows the committee is going to cease to exist in January and is just going to run out the clock, like Trump.

They got 1! Now how about the others, including Trump? How about literally ANY consequences for the subject of this lauded committee?

As you say, they're just gonna run out the clock and nothing will happen.

Jaxyon posted:

Congress has a right to literally any US citizens testimony lol

Not if they don't enforce the rules they don't.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

mutata posted:

Not if they don't enforce the rules they don't.

Did you forget that you replied to this already on the last page

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I respect the effort of the J6C. But they have accomplished very little aside from the public viewing of the crime and the associated public evidence that DOJ can use, and has used to the effect of many convictions and prison sentences.

Their public document will be valuable. But it will not be sufficient, or even close to it.

What's coming is gonna be wild.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

mdemone posted:

I respect the effort of the J6C. But they have accomplished very little aside from the public viewing of the crime and the associated public evidence that DOJ can use, and has used to the effect of many convictions and prison sentences.

Their public document will be valuable. But it will not be sufficient, or even close to it.

What did they have the power to accomplish?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Levitate posted:

What did they have the power to accomplish?

Not all that much, I guess, is the sum of it.

They could obviously have done more to enforce contempt charges against Trump and Bannon, etc, and done it earlier and all the other things we wanted them to do.

But that was never going to happen.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

Why on earth would you think that white conservatives would face the same justice system as anyone else?

This is America.

a bunch of white conservatives did see consequences for Jan 6. Just not the wealthy or powerful ones.

This is not a disagreeing statement, just an extension.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

Did you forget that you replied to this already on the last page

lol yeah I did. My brain is fried after being sick and then sleeping for 18 hours straight only to wake up and feel worse than ever.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

mdemone posted:

Yes if you set aside everything they did, they didn’t do anything.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

The common rabble's, maybe.

The system is designed to protect people like him, it can't actually make him do anything unless he angers someone more wealthy/powerful than him

Xiahou Dun posted:

"But not sufficient" is the part you passed over there

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 17, 2022

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yinlock posted:

The common rabble's, maybe.

The system is designed to protect people like him, it can't actually make him do anything unless he angers someone more wealthy/powerful than him

"But not sufficient" is the part you passed over there

I can read. That’s not the part I was objecting to and it stands alone without a silly tautology.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Xiahou Dun posted:

What have they done that will have meaningful impact on the health of our election system and/or the next "Trump But Smart This Time" elected leader? Because I haven't seen much at all.

Even Bannon got, what, a few months of jail? Oof, pack it in, insurrectionists, it's all over!

The whole J6C has once again outed the Dems as weak house cats with no teeth or claws.

mutata fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 17, 2022

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Lol, wat?

The J6C did exactly the thing that they were capable of doing which is document what happened from trumps private meetings in November through the assault. That’s the only thing they ever could do.

that you think there was more and that they didn’t do it is you being some kind of weird authoritarian fascist with no regard for law.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

He's gonna run

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

i thought he already did on january sixth, which is why they want him to testify in the first place

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Murgos posted:

Lol, wat?

The J6C did exactly the thing that they were capable of doing which is document what happened from trumps private meetings in November through the assault. That’s the only thing they ever could do.

that you think there was more and that they didn’t do it is you being some kind of weird authoritarian fascist with no regard for law.

Ah, so they meant this all along, you say. We'll tha ks for the heads up, J6C, but what now then?

Your own is dumb, though. You know drat well what I mean.

Cool appeal to Godwin, though. Fuckin' goons, lol.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

mutata posted:

Ah, so they meant this all along, you say. We'll tha ks for the heads up, J6C, but what now then?

Your own is dumb, though. You know drat well what I mean.

Cool appeal to Godwin, though. Fuckin' goons, lol.

I dunno man, maybe go read about the Star Chamber poo poo during the Civil War or Unamerican Activities Committee if you need a refresher on why what you want is a bad, bad thing.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Literally every interesting and reliable thing about J6 that people know has come out because of the J6 committee. This goes from the funny but trivial stuff like Hawley running away from the insurrectionists, to legally meaningful stuff like the gap in the call logs or Hutchinson's testimony. Legally, exposing information and proposing new laws for the future is the only thing a congressional committee can do.

I hope the DoJ does their job faster too, but the J6 committee has been huge, sorry if you were expecting it to throw people directly in jail.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Ah, sure sure. The consequences are coming ANY DAY NOW.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

NYTs editorial board was calling for consequences today.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

mutata posted:

You have a point in that if the DoJ doesn't follow up on it, it was mostly a waste of time. They're still building their cases, as witnesses are still appearing before the Grand Jury. Once that wraps up, we'll have an answer.

The Georgia case is wrapping up, though, so maybe they'll take the first crack.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Murgos posted:

Lol, wat?

Aren't they capable of making criminal referrals, they've just decided not to?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bar Ran Dun posted:

NYTs editorial board was calling for consequences today.

The Grey Lady has decided that now, halfway through her ride on the euthanasia coaster--a death ride that she herself gleefully helped build--that she's not enjoying it anymore and wants off the ride now please.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Aren't they capable of making criminal referrals, they've just decided not to?

Tens if not hundreds of thousands of people in the US can make criminal referrals; that's not anything unique to J6C. Also the DOJ doesn't need them to refer anything to prosecute anyone anyway. Also they have already made criminal referrals, and they have explicitly said they will make more, so no

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Fuschia tude posted:

Tens if not hundreds of thousands of people in the US can make criminal referrals; that's not anything unique to J6C. Also the DOJ doesn't need them to refer anything to prosecute anyone anyway. Also they have already made criminal referrals, and they have explicitly said they will make more, so no

The claim was that the J6C did exactly the thing that they were capable of doing. But they could have made a criminal referral against Donald Trump and haven't.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

DeadlyMuffin posted:

The claim was that the J6C did exactly the thing that they were capable of doing. But they could have made a criminal referral against Donald Trump and haven't.

Did you? Congress doesn't actually have any more authority in telling the DOJ what to do than you, they just have nicer letterhead.

mutata posted:

Do you get mad that your fridge doesn't take you to work too?

You seem to not be grasping that things have things they can do, but also things they can't. Prosecution is an Executive power, hence why there's a Department of Justice. The House of Representatives is a Legislative power so they can only legislate, i.e. pass laws.

You wanna get mad at the DOJ that's at least a conversation. This is you being pissed that the mailman didn't put out your house fire.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

Did you? Congress doesn't actually have any more authority in telling the DOJ what to do than you, they just have nicer letterhead.

Do you get mad that your fridge doesn't take you to work too?

You seem to not be grasping that things have things they can do, but also things they can't. Prosecution is an Executive power, hence why there's a Department of Justice. The House of Representatives is a Legislative power so they can only legislate, i.e. pass laws.

You wanna get mad at the DOJ that's at least a conversation. This is you being pissed that the mailman didn't put out your house fire.

The idea of the January 6th committee making criminal referrals is not particularly outrageous.

In fact, at least one member thinks they should too. https://twitter.com/repelaineluria/status/1536506115713814528?s=61&t=kAuWyKUWrT-mMDj1xS4tEA
And to address your direct question: I did not make a recommendation to the DOJ to prosecute Donald Trump. I did, however, write my representative who is a member of the committee and ask her to do so.

Here’s a tiny bit of googling for you. It’s been discussed and not dismissed out of hand like you are doing.

https://rollcall.com/2022/06/17/jan-6-committees-criminal-referral-spat-was-avoidable-and-unnecessary/

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/jan-6-committee-may-make-criminal-referral-witness-tampering-cheney-2022-06-30/

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/jan-6-committee-will-not-make-criminal-referrals-chairman-says-rcna22325

Maybe a small amount of humility is in order.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 17, 2022

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I never said it was ridiculous and I don't know why you would assume I thought that.

I said it didn't matter.

Edit to expand and less drive-by shitposting : Yes the committee can make a recommendation and I think they're idiots if they don't. Part of why I think that is because the criminal referral only has the legal weight of "the House of Representatives wrote this". It doesn't actually make the DOJ act any quicker and in as much as it has any effect at all is pretty much just down to Merrick Garland's internal calculus. And he's made it pretty clear that he's going to neatly and carefully do the job and only speak through filings.

Absolute best case it's a cool press opportunity, get some public sentiment going, put a little bow on proceedings. But it can't accomplish anything or even help something along.

Xiahou Dun fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Nov 17, 2022

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

I never said it was ridiculous and I don't know why you would assume I thought that.

I said it didn't matter.

Dude. Your response was “did you?”. Are you saying this was a genuine inquiry if I had made a criminal referral to the DOJ, and not an attempt to paint the idea of the committee doing so as ridiculous?

Edit: Nevermind, I see the backpedal.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Nov 17, 2022

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Dude. Your response was “did you?”. Are you saying this was a genuine inquiry if I had made a criminal referral to the DOJ, and not an attempt to paint the idea of the committee doing so as ridiculous?

You literally edited around the other half of a two sentence post where I clearly said what I meant.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

You literally edited around the other half of a two sentence post where I clearly said what I meant.

There you go. I added "I said it didn't matter." back into the quote. It changes absolutely nothing.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Nov 17, 2022

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Are they going to try to get Trump or whoever else for contempt of congress which carries a penalty of up to a year in jail and is a thing they can do?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jaxyon posted:

:wrong:

Ever hear of the Fifth amendment of the constitution? Yeah .. pretty important. Might be time for you to study up on the Bill of Rights, you seem to have forgotten some key components of it.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Ever hear of the Fifth amendment of the constitution? Yeah .. pretty important. Might be time for you to study up on the Bill of Rights, you seem to have forgotten some key components of it.

quote:

Amendment V
No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

As long as 2 crimes by 2 different people exist in the United States, then every person is subject to giving testimony--just not all testimony all the time.

Does this apply in clearly non-criminal cases as was established on this very page? I'm not confident--I am not a lawyer.

Why has the last page of the thread become uncommonly virulent?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

piL posted:

Why has the last page of the thread become uncommonly virulent?

I think everybody is a little frustrated at this point, having watched the committee spell out clear and public crimes all summer and fall, only to have Trump declare his candidacy for president again.

The only consequence of any of this so far is what, 4 months of Bannon in jail for contempt?

It's infuriating. Many shitposters dropped into this thread to tell us nothing was actually going to happen and we held on to hope anyway. The evidence was too strong, the public was too informed, the committee was too targeted on Trump himself for any of this to simply blow over.

But the guy is a presidential candidate right now. What the gently caress.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I think everybody is a little frustrated at this point, having watched the committee spell out clear and public crimes all summer and fall, only to have Trump declare his candidacy for president again.

The only consequence of any of this so far is what, 4 months of Bannon in jail for contempt?

It's infuriating. Many shitposters dropped into this thread to tell us nothing was actually going to happen and we held on to hope anyway. The evidence was too strong, the public was too informed, the committee was too targeted on Trump himself for any of this to simply blow over.

Has Turmpf filed any paper work? Only filing for primaries and paying the fees to do so makes it official. DJT says lots of things but between now and 2024 is a geologic age in American politics.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Judge Schnoopy posted:

This makes a sort of sense, but SA has a different level of discourse most of the time, even in the face of disappointment, which is why I use this and not sljsuy scream into Twitter.

Beyond that, though, I think things have happened. I think the results of this midterm election were affected. More importantly, I think the public tone has been affected--there was a lot of opportunity for more violence during these midterms that has been stymied by the even tone of the proceedings. The worst probably isn't over yet.

The obvious thing most of want hadn't happened, but they seem like some of the most dangerous and difficult things to do in a democracy.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The fact DJT has declared his candidacy means exactly dick to Merrick Garland and all the reporting is about the talks between Trump's lawyers and the DOJ is about when he's going to be indicted, not if. Just last week DOJ was examining other document theft cases for a template for starting the charges.

And the Coup investigation is just too huge and contains too many high-level actors to move any faster. I no longer have any doubt that ship has sailed and nothing about these midterms changes that.

I'm still confident. You should be, too.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Ahahahahaha no. Midterms are over and the fucker hasn't been charged. He announces his run for 2024 tomorrow. They won't charge an active presidential candidate.

He got away with it. Again.
The thing about doomers is you guys just can't see the big picture.

Do you have any idea how many crimes Trump would commit in his second term? He's walking right into Chuck and Nancy's trap: we'll really have him dead to rights then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

I'm interested to hear the new jurisprudence where you can invoke the 5th amendment without showing up when subpoenaed