Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Gort posted:

Yeah, feels like you should be able to use it in place of fish in the Food Industries building. Maybe they don't have a way of implementing buildings that use one thing or the other depending on what's cheaper.
It's because Paradox wants to keep Denmark down in all their games. Danish industrialization was built on selling factory processed bacon to Britain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Just faceplanted pretty hard as the Sikh empire again even after I managed to win the first war against the EIC they came back and kicked my rear end because they can just create 10 billion little fronts. :thumbsup:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

TwoQuestions posted:

This game does lack a lot of flavor, but what is there is really great! Got through the Tanzimat reforms, and it's the most fun I've had with the game thus far. I might try to modernize Japan next, or get opium out of Great Qing.

Is there any other countries that have a good national story to play through?

Sokoto is pretty fun, no unique content but I think that their position gives them a fairly unique experience since they're directly in the path of European colonial efforts in Africa.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Hellioning posted:

Naval superiority is my favorite new drug.

For real. You can beat up great powers for war reparations by sniping their colonies with naval invasions before their armies have time to react. Even if you don't have complete naval superiority, one large modern fleet is usually enough to wreck convoys and land troops wherever you want them. If all of their troops are already mobilized and on the front lines, you can easily open up new fronts against 0 resistance and take some ground before they have a chance to stop you.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gort posted:

Yeah, feels like you should be able to use it in place of fish in the Food Industries building. Maybe they don't have a way of implementing buildings that use one thing or the other depending on what's cheaper.

Providing dual purpose goods together having an effect would be neat too. Having a choice of rice or bread, fish or meat, that’s a mark of being well-off in most of history. Trading slight efficiency for fatter contenter pops.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Diplomatic Imbroglio

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I think meat's big problem is that I think it qualifies as a luxury food so there'd be no point in letting a luxury food be turned into another luxury food like groceries, but food processing plants don't take up arable land while agricultural ranches do (and whaling industries are so minor they're irrelevant for most countries.)

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I would love a new line of PMs for ranches that favors fabric over meat. Let me raise sheep or alpacas dammit.

Having no places that can grow cotton leaves one hard up for fabric let me tell you.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Ethiopia is fun but outside of the event that gives you the historical leader dude which fires in like the first week (he is baller though, expert offensive planner and a unique traits that gives you a flat +30 to attacks) and a journal entry to reform Ethiopia it has zero events.

And because of the above advantages it's incredibly easy to accomplish uniting the country in like 3 years because you will absolutely roll over the opposing countries with those buffs, the only tiny concern is Egypt getting pissy.

Somewhat annoying is the fact you have no coal unless you colonize west of you, but you are going to eat the severe malaria penalty until you research the appropriate tech which means that it takes like 5 years to colonize one tiny bit.

First country I've played (done Sokoto, Japan, and Great Qing) where population is actually an issue. You have enough get somewhat industrialized but unless you get migration going you are going to run out of peasents quickly.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Arrath posted:

I would love a new line of PMs for ranches that favors fabric over meat. Let me raise sheep or alpacas dammit.

Having no places that can grow cotton leaves one hard up for fabric let me tell you.

Especially given there's a bunch of cultures that did precisely this.

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

I'm finding that forcing your enemies to grant independence to nations within their borders is a pretty OP method of ensuring they never gently caress with you again. In my first game as Argentina once I became the #1 great power (with quite a bit of infamy along the way) I essentially had all the European GPs taking turns attempting to cut me down to size, and because I was trying to reduce my infamy I wouldn't set any war goals against them except reparations and independence for vassals.

Now in my second game as Italy, I ascended to #1 and accrued 100+ infamy from puppeting the ottomans and annexing Austria's southern states, and everyone started taking turns attempting to cut me down to size again. This time I've been using all of my diplo maneuvers to set war goals like "great britain grants independence to ireland" and "france grants independence to occitania", and I've now partitioned every single GP in europe and now have more prestige than the 2-5 nations combined. Also, none of them ever picked a second war with me post-partition... the 20s have been a decade of peace and prosperity!

I almost think they should maybe make it harder to enforce that war goal. France released Occitania in a peace deal for a war where their war support was 0 but I had essentially no chance of forcing it to -100... considering that it dealt their country a death blow they never recovered from, maybe countries should be less willing to partition themselves outside of total capitulation

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum
I'm enjoying the game, and the performance is a lot better post-patch, but I'm going to leave it a bit longer now until some other bugs are fixed. I just started a Grander Colombia run that crashed because my troops fighting Ecuador all crashed to 0% morale with no recovery, despite no supply line or production issues, and remained like that after a white peace.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Hobo posted:

I'm enjoying the game, and the performance is a lot better post-patch, but I'm going to leave it a bit longer now until some other bugs are fixed. I just started a Grander Colombia run that crashed because my troops fighting Ecuador all crashed to 0% morale with no recovery, despite no supply line or production issues, and remained like that after a white peace.

Same. I've had more BSOD crashes playing 10 hours of Victoria than I've had total all year.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Is there an existing bug where overseas territories completely lose market access despite having adequate infrastructure? I'm not in a war, and there's people staffing the railroads/ports, but a couple of overseas provinces have been 0% market access for a couple years now. No input shortages in the market either.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What are some good opening moves as New Granada? Haven't played a New World nation before. I assume that like usual it's best to rush colonies, but would be interested in any tips beyond that.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Is there an existing bug where overseas territories completely lose market access despite having adequate infrastructure? I'm not in a war, and there's people staffing the railroads/ports, but a couple of overseas provinces have been 0% market access for a couple years now. No input shortages in the market either.

Yes, but reloading the game should fix it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I just realized that a huge part of the problem I was having with warfare is that the indicator for combat advantage doesn't take the manpower of your regiments into account at all. So I was going into battle with more regiments and better equipment, but they were severely understaffed so I just got slaughtered. It's really bizarre considering how much of an impact it makes. What's worse is that there's no easy way to see the manpower of your regiments, and there's zero indicator that you even have a manpower shortage in the first place.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Bold Robot posted:

What are some good opening moves as New Granada? Haven't played a New World nation before. I assume that like usual it's best to rush colonies, but would be interested in any tips beyond that.

puppet swarm and eat the central american minors as they collapse. You can play autarky or join a market if you wanna avoid potentially getting blocked by one of the majors (UK/France, USA is a paper tiger most games)

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

I just realized that a huge part of the problem I was having with warfare is that the indicator for combat advantage doesn't take the manpower of your regiments into account at all. So I was going into battle with more regiments and better equipment, but they were severely understaffed so I just got slaughtered. It's really bizarre considering how much of an impact it makes. What's worse is that there's no easy way to see the manpower of your regiments, and there's zero indicator that you even have a manpower shortage in the first place.

Yeah I just kind of ignore the indicator at this point.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
If I attack where the enemy has a general, I can beat them. If I attack where they have no general, I always lose. Why is that?

My best guess so far is that when attacking a general, I face the legions he commands. When I attack where there is no general, I face the entire combat width of defending garrisons all at once. Seems like that's what it shows me, but I'm not sure.

Lawman 0 posted:

Just faceplanted pretty hard as the Sikh empire again even after I managed to win the first war against the EIC they came back and kicked my rear end because they can just create 10 billion little fronts. :thumbsup:

With Sikh, you must always be the attacker. It's much easier to beat 1 puppet + the EIC than it is to beat all of the puppets. Choose a puppet isolated from the EIC front so you can pick them off and then consolidate and avoid the two fronts from overlapping in weird ways. Since you also always want EIC war reps, you're basically going to war every 5 years. If you wait even a few weeks they're likely to kick off a play against you which is much harder to win for essentially the same reward.

Sikh is a lot harder now that you can't easily shake Britain. If Britain abandons the EIC you can get a lot of work done and finding a chance to overlap a war with Britain being so busy they lose interest is tough, very RNG, but can really help improve a run.

There is a strategy where you take South Bengal and that moves the EIC capital to North Bengal which you can easily rush in future wars, but I've found this to be kind of risky. The front can shift in a way that will teleport your soldiers home and by the time they hoof it back to South Bengal the EIC will have gotten a free push and you take a huge hit.

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 16, 2022

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Tomn posted:

I'm not an expert in naval warfare, but a couple of basic concepts:

This was extremely useful, thank you! Gonna incorporate that in my Japan run.

Secondly, how do I increase literacy? Is it just through institutions or do universities play a role in it too? I want my dirt farming peasants to all have the ability to read Dear Leader’s fanfic.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

buglord posted:

This was extremely useful, thank you! Gonna incorporate that in my Japan run.

Secondly, how do I increase literacy? Is it just through institutions or do universities play a role in it too? I want my dirt farming peasants to all have the ability to read Dear Leader’s fanfic.

The education institution handles literacy via education access. Universities let pops promote faster afaik along with the research points

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

buglord posted:

Literacy scales to match education access over time. The formula is very simple and all of these modifiers are additive, so you just need to get this to 100% for min-maxing.
* I have no idea if having over 100 education access has any effect on how quickly your literacy rate will rise.

Education Access:
2% per pop wealth level
10% per level of education institutions (private schools scale on wealth again here)
15% per staffed university in the state
-10% if you've angered the clergy.

Assuming that you're in the mid-game and even poor people have 10 wealth, either have tier 3 Schools and 3 universities in each of your populous states, or tier 5 schools and 2 universities per state and your population will be 100% covered.

Blorange fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 17, 2022

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Blorange posted:

Yes, but reloading the game should fix it.

Thanks, it did.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Blorange posted:

Literacy scales to match education access over time. The formula is very simple and all of these modifiers are additive, so you just need to get this to 100% for min-maxing.
* I have no idea if having over 100 education access has any effect on how quickly your literacy rate will rise.

Education Access:
2% per pop wealth level
10% per level of education institutions (private schools scale on wealth again here)
15% per staffed university in the state
-10% if you've angered the clergy.

Assuming that you're in the mid-game and even poor people have 10 wealth, either have tier 3 Schools and 3 universities in each of your populous states, or tier 5 schools and 2 universities per state and your population will be 100% covered.

I thought universities give qualifications, not literacy
The monument in eastern mali gives 20% education access which is incredible

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The Encourage Social Mobility Decree gives 25% education access, too.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Anyone know if the "reading campaign" cheevo pops for people that didn't start below 20% like it implies on the "possible" cheevo tab?

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
The war contribution from "controls 100% of their war goals" seems bugged. If you force the enemy to lose control of their war goals it remains at 100%. I've been forced to surrender in several wars I was winning because of things like this. Ah! It's so frustrating. The econ sim here seems to work really well - better than other Victorias? - but now the war sim is all messed up.

I could bitch a lot about this game, but I really like it. I think it's going to shape up strong with some work and expansions.

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 17, 2022

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2889565292

Never colonized, never joined another customs union. Did a bunch of importing at the start so I could run iron framed construction, build my own mines and get up to 20 construction speed. Ran free trade for almost the entire game and exported a lot of coffee and luxury furniture. Had to fight them almost every war after my infamy got out of control but the US was a very useful trading partner in the early game.

My only vanguardist IG leader got killed and replaced by a moderate for the rest of the game so not a perfect run, but its been my favorite campaign so far.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Do Japanese character portraits maintain the Edo era samurai outfits for the entire game or will they start wearing suits, ties and army uniforms eventually?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Kraftwerk posted:

Do Japanese character portraits maintain the Edo era samurai outfits for the entire game or will they start wearing suits, ties and army uniforms eventually?

I think it's based on if they do the Meiji Restoration or not.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Kraftwerk posted:

To be honest this is something that bugs me a little bit about the game - in most countries your leaders will be wearing the exact same style of dress in 1936 as they did in 1836. This is already an irritation since it means that for instance Field Marshal Haig will be wearing a full set of ceremonial uniform instead of the more iconic field uniform, but it also goes a bit weird for something like China where people are still wearing Qing dynasty official robes well into 1936, not a zhongsan suit in sight.

(Not having played China I dunno if this changes if you manage to successfully keep China from breaking or anything but for most AI nations at least clothes don't seem to update)

Mind you, I get it, spending development resources on changing clothes over time isn't the best investment in a new game (especially if you need to work out how fashion might change in alternate histories, i.e. what would Qing fashion look like if the dynasty never actually fell), but it's still a minor annoyance. Cosmetic DLC fodder though I suppose.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Tomn posted:

To be honest this is something that bugs me a little bit about the game - in most countries your leaders will be wearing the exact same style of dress in 1936 as they did in 1836. This is already an irritation since it means that for instance Field Marshal Haig will be wearing a full set of ceremonial uniform instead of the more iconic field uniform, but it also goes a bit weird for something like China where people are still wearing Qing dynasty official robes well into 1936, not a zhongsan suit in sight.

(Not having played China I dunno if this changes if you manage to successfully keep China from breaking or anything but for most AI nations at least clothes don't seem to update)

Mind you, I get it, spending development resources on changing clothes over time isn't the best investment in a new game (especially if you need to work out how fashion might change in alternate histories, i.e. what would Qing fashion look like if the dynasty never actually fell), but it's still a minor annoyance. Cosmetic DLC fodder though I suppose.

Oh there will absolutely be a 'new outfit' DLC for every continent, if not more.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Pickelhelm designer DLC.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Hellioning posted:

Oh there will absolutely be a 'new outfit' DLC for every continent, if not more.

I think there are supposedly already mods that help with some of this.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Hmm, while trying to bring multiculturalism to Austria Hungary I got the event where a foreigner came over to lead the intelligensia... except he turned out to be a Fascist who wanted an ethnostate.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Thordain posted:

Hmm, while trying to bring multiculturalism to Austria Hungary I got the event where a foreigner came over to lead the intelligensia... except he turned out to be a Fascist who wanted an ethnostate.

I had a similar thing happen with my petit bourgeoise in my Brazil game. While enacting cultural exclusion (from racial segregation), I had an event to replace the leader of my petit bourgeoise, who was a reformer and this favored cultural exclusion, with an Afro-Brazilian leader who was moderate. This derailed my reform attempt and caused my liberal party to fall apart the next election.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
It's a bit low-key but I really do like how leaders can suddenly transform politics for better or worse depending on who exactly you get in the seat. It's one of the things that keeps politics and IGs from getting too stale when the random roll of the dice can completely shake up existing political alignments.

Mind you, I still think politics could be jazzed up since it IS a little stale sometimes how IGs work exactly the same way in every country and the strategies to finagle them are mostly going to be the same, but leaders do a lot to keep it fresh.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
After 50 hours I think I know what my main UI gripe is:

I can tell what makes a certain stat the way it is, but I can’t tell why it’s different than what it was last week. Why did my SoL drop a whole point, why am I suddenly in the red when I was flooded with income yesterday, what made the dickhead Shogunate suddenly get a clout bump? It’s really hard to compare things now vs historically, especially when it comes to the whys and hows.

Also it’s comically easy to miss when your country is in the crosshairs of a diplomatic play. And why do I need to know that Austria Embargoed Qing when I’m Mexico? I’m not too worried about this being fixed/addressed though. It’s just that first UI problem that seems way harder to solve clearly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tomn posted:

Character outfits should depend on the culture of where they get their luxury clothing from.