Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Heliogabalos posted:

back pay child support and show at least a year of therapy receipts, the child is in therapy and has interest, and all adults agree to meet with a therapist moderator present.

You never know the difference a person can make in a kid's life, and the while the child may hold grief and trauma with respect to the absenteeism, they did not have the trauma of a person who was there and abandoned him and there is a big difference there

I get people will disagree, I have a big heart and I am big on forgiveness if someone has truly changed with true intentions

Yeah, dude who only seems to give a poo poo about how the kid he abandoned should reciprocate his attention really seems like someone who's changed with true intentions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Barudak posted:

I think the pie photos break the rules of posting gore. Fundamentally, the crispness of a pie top and how the pie cooks at all, actually, are interedependent on both the volume of the cooking chamber they are placed in and the direction of the heat. Recipes for pies are built for western ovens, not the Japanese thing I have. My pie instead of a flaky gold top with hot insides became ashes in one direction ontop of congealing middle ontop of still raw pie crust.

I do not want to discuss how much money was lost on the blueberries due to Japanese import costs.

Edit: its one of those things like eggs in recipe where we all know it means chicken eggs so they don't say it. My poor cooking friend doing the post mortem with mewas like "my god, Barudak, you made every single baseline assumption wrong"

LOL I loving knew it would be Japan when you posted that. Full disclosure we did learn how to make pie in our Japanese microwave/convection oven but trying to adapt recipes definitely had a learning curve. Trying to cook a young miniature turkey for Thanksgiving was a trip. It almost touched to top of the oven. Parts came out raw and I had to cut it apart and put it back in for another couple hours longer than estimated. But thanksgiving dinner was so popular with our Japanese and commonwealth friends that the next year I got hooked up with a restaurant owner ‘s gas oven.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

quote:

But I think making amends is always possible

______________________/

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce

Midnight Voyager posted:

Yeah, dude who only seems to give a poo poo about how the kid he abandoned should reciprocate his attention really seems like someone who's changed with true intentions.

It's interesting. He is starting the process from a space of centering himself through an egotistical lens, absolutely, but likely because he is starting to finally address remorse and/or shame. That those no longer trigger the denial he once felt, or the usual anger that these feelings impel in an even more problematic person is a big step forward. I find it quite curious and I wish I knew where these were pulled from because I would like to read if he has anything more to say.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Hughlander posted:

Does anyone else here (besides me) feel they can't partake in the ring posting on this sub because your engagement ring isn't big, sparkly, or unique enough?

UPDATE

Stories like this remind me of the indescribable amounts of the pettiest drama I would regularly witness working in a jewelry store. Brings back lots of fond memories/ptsd.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

Stories like this remind me of the indescribable amounts of the pettiest drama I would regularly witness working in a jewelry store. Brings back lots of fond memories/ptsd.

I will go get coffee if you wanna dish

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Barudak posted:

I will go get coffee if you wanna dish

I might do an a/t thread, because I've got some doozies. Maybe tomorrow when I'm not too tired to sit at a desk and type.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

I want this A/T in ways I never knew.

AITA for not wanting to put bells on my cats, to appease my neighbor and the squirrels and birds she feeds?

quote:

My neighbor feeds squirrels and birds. My cats like hunting squirrels and birds, and are fairly good at it, apparently. My cats have a cat door, and are free to come and go as they please. This will not change.

Neighbor is complaining about having to chase them away from the squirrel feeder, which is mounted to a tree outside of her property line. She told me that earlier today she had to run a squirrel they caught to the.... uhhh.... squirrel hospital?

My neighbor insists that I put them in collars with bells on them, so they will be unable to sneak up on 'her' squirrels and birds.

I don't want them in collars, for several reasons, and I don't want them jingling and jangling every step they take for the rest of their lives. Regardless, I don't even think collars and tiny bells would actually be the magic solution she's hoping for.

I almost want to suggest she move the feeder to her backyard, but I feel like that would only draw my cats back there, and give her another thing to complain about.

As I see it, if she's this committed to her squirrels and birds, then she's just gonna have to keep watch and chase them off; though I feel that if I wanted to, I could complain about her chasing my cats off of public property...

I don't think I am, but am I the rear end in a top hat? Is there a solution?

Edit: Never in my life have I heard anybody insist that domestic cats only belong inside... yet this is the early consensus?! I'm supposed to keep my cats inside 24/7, 365, for the rest of their lives? That is downright cruel...

Edit 2: there's nothing 'natural ecosystem' about my neighbor drawing a disproportionate amount of them to her area with store-bought food.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean he catered to literally the worst of that fanbase but from what I understand De Lancie is a huge rear end in a top hat

I'm told that from the scene where Q appears naked on the bridge apparently he has a huge hog.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for not wanting to put bells on my cats, to appease my neighbor and the squirrels and birds she feeds?

quote:

Edit: Never in my life have I heard anybody insist that domestic cats only belong inside

Bullshit

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

hey now, maybe they just now learned how to read

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
People might have said that in OP's vicinity, but OP chose not to hear it.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
i've never owned a pet in my life and even i know you're not supposed to let your cats go running around the neighborhood. even if you don't give a poo poo about the local environment you might give a poo poo about your cat getting run over by a car or mauled by a stray dog or whatever

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for Causing my Autistic Half Brother to Melt Down and Telling Him He Deserved It?

quote:

So, I was supposed to be a boy. Or at least that's what the OBGYN told my parents. My dad had this big hangup about the first born being a son, and has hated me since the day I was born.

Two years later, after blaming and punishing me and my mother relentlessly, he cheated on her, and the woman conceived a son. So he divorced my mom and married her.

As soon as my half brother was old enough to realize my gender made me a failure, I was bullied relentlessly by him. I remember Star Wars Episode 3 coming out and getting bombarded with screenshots of 'you were supposed to be the chosen one'. I've dealt with 2 decades of this crap, always excused by my dad and his mother as 'social struggles due to autism' and finally had enough and went LC.

Well, recently my full sibling came out and began their FTM transition. I'm very happy for them and they are absolutely blameless in this situation.

My half brother took this as a reason to send several very nasty texts about how everyone else was giving my dad the sons he wanted, but I was still a failure.

I snapped, and I deeply regret what I said.

I told him that the point of having a son was to continue the bloodline. I was in a committed relationship and perfectly capable of giving my father a healthy grandson. Meanwhile he hadn't had a single relationship last beyond the first date because no woman would put up with an entitled and pretentious jerk like him.

His half sister (no relation to me) blew up at me because he melted down and has been explosive and nasty for days. I told her he probably deserved a taste of the bullying I endured for years.

But now I feel like a bully and regret lashing out.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

hosed around and found out but also just block all these people, gently caress em?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Heliogabalos posted:

I get people will disagree, I have a big heart and I am big on forgiveness if someone has truly changed with true intentions

Ngl if it wouldn't be so personal I would love to hear your take on trying to forgive my lovely hosed up family :allears:

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Xun posted:

Ngl if it wouldn't be so personal I would love to hear your take on trying to forgive my lovely hosed up family :allears:

You can totally understand what made people do what they did, see their attempts at bettering themselves, forgive them a little or a lot, and then just never interact with them again. It's very freeing.

Edit - not to say that your family in particular deserves anything at all

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

telling someone they should forgive someone else just seems arrogant to me

like, only JC himself can pull that poo poo off

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Reddit comments are almost unanimously YTA.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for Causing my Autistic Half Brother to Melt Down and Telling Him He Deserved It?

I don't get what being autistic has to do with any of this.

Half-brother is being a mean petty vindictive arsehole. And a thin skinned one at that, if a "Haha you haven't got a girlfriend!" jab makes him have a meltdown.
Autism or no, that's just lovely.
Also boo to his "Girls are icky. Congrats to you, my new trans brother because you are no longer a yucky girl." attitude. I mean, I suppose it's nice he is supportive and accepting of his half brother's gender. But for all the wrong reasons and in a terrible way.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

ccubed posted:

My mom always said that cooking is art and baking is science.

thats what i was looking for. thanks, and also now i'm thinking about a recipe that calls for one banana and a roll of duct tape

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

cumpantry posted:

thats what i was looking for. thanks, and also now i'm thinking about a recipe that calls for one banana and a roll of duct tape

:frogon:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

That's literally the number one thing I hear about owning an indoor cat, that you don't let it stay outside.

Props to the OP from long ago who's GF's method of dealing with her cat when traveling was to leave it outside with water and food, and OP went over, took the cat home, and lost his poo poo at her over it.
Switched it, OP defending her leaving the cat outdoors.

Chamale posted:

AITA for not wanting to pay unnecessary money for my cat?

She goes hard in the comments saying she doesn't believe her BF actually cares about the cat and it's just some toxic/abusive controlling behavior.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 17, 2022

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for going off on my cousin after she locked the keys in the car?

quote:

My cousin {18F} and my aunt {38F} have been with us for the past 2 weeks while they’re on vacation, they are visiting and here resides my brother {40M} my pregnant girlfriend {19F} and myself {22M}.

Yesterday, my cousin Mariah {18F} locked my brother’s keys into the car. I became extremely upset since it was 40• outside and it was raining. Although my girlfriend and I both had coats, we could’ve gotten sick and we were still very cold. We asked her to go into the car to start it up and warm it up until we came downstairs, 5 minutes later we come downstairs and she was outside trying to open the doors, and I asked her what she was doing. She explained that she locked the keys into the car and I said “what the gently caress!” I lightly moved her away from me and tried opening the doors for at least 10 minutes. During this time I was getting increasingly upset because I cannot understand how a grown woman can be so clueless as to how to lock keys into a car I told her to start. My girlfriend began getting upset which made me more upset at her.

About 10 minutes later, she went upstairs and noticed that there was a spare key inside the pot for my brother’s car and handed it to me, I grabbed it from her and after she went inside I drove off. She asked me if I was upset with her once I left and I sent her a series of texts letting her know she was fully out of line for putting my girlfriend and unborn child’s health at risk and I reminded her that I would get defensive and disrespectful when it comes to my family, every single time.

My aunt thinks I was too harsh on her and that I should apologize, but what she did truly infuriated me.

My dad kept locking the keys in my car during a roadtrip we took, over and over, including on a ferry, and let me tell you it never stopped being hilarious (eventually I confiscated the keys)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Mx. posted:

AITA for going off on my cousin after she locked the keys in the car?

The bigger picture here is everyone involved spending a cumulative 15 minutes fruitlessly trying to open locked car doors they didn't have the key for

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

that guy is gonna have to get better at dealing with dumbshits doing dumb poo poo

and yeah,

quote:

I tried opening the doors for at least 10 minutes

lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Definitely there's a certain kind of person who think if they express enough anger at a situation towards whoever happens to be nearby for long enough a solution will magically appear.

That kid's in for a rough time.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Wait, so they were at their home. They walked outside, keys are locked in car. Keys are eventually found at same home to open the car, car hasn't moved. They were in danger because they were too stupid to walk back into their home out of the rain?

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Does this person believe that being a little chilly will make them ill? I know that germ theory is out of fashion among idiots, but I thought everyone knew catching a cold is a euphemism.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Foo Diddley posted:

i've never owned a pet in my life and even i know you're not supposed to let your cats go running around the neighborhood. even if you don't give a poo poo about the local environment you might give a poo poo about your cat getting run over by a car or mauled by a stray dog or whatever

Unless you're into feeding shelter cats to coyotes, according to that one story.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
my old civic was easier to unlock with a coat hanger than with a key

maybe OP should get an old civic

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

also 40F is not cold enough to be imposing on people to go warm up your car for you

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I'm wondering if "I lightly moved her away from me" is him downplaying that he shoved her.

Also there's this weird disconnect when he talks about how he got more and more upset, and then his girlfriend got upset, which made him even more mad at his cousin. It's got to be all the cousin's fault that OP's girlfriend is getting worried. It can't have anything to do with the fact that her baby's father can't handle minor challenges without having a meltdown.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
oh, i totally missed the "light moving" :whitewater:

some real "calmly explained" vibes there

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

The bigger picture here is everyone involved spending a cumulative 15 minutes fruitlessly trying to open locked car doors they didn't have the key for

Even worse, locked car doors they did have a spare key for just inside the house.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
I’ll side with recipe dude, having had that thing with a partner of agreeing youd have that carbonara recipe tonight but they subbed out the black pepper for garlic salt and the guincale for some chicken she wanted to use but still insisted it’s a carbonara

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Heliogabalos posted:

back pay child support and show at least a year of therapy receipts, the child is in therapy and has interest, and all adults agree to meet with a therapist moderator present.

You never know the difference a person can make in a kid's life, and the while the child may hold grief and trauma with respect to the absenteeism, they did not have the trauma of a person who was there and abandoned him and there is a big difference there

Naw dogg, forgiveness is cool and there's nothing wrong with reconciliation. It's just that contrition includes a lot more than saying "I'm sorry;" you have to actually regret your actions and understand how and why you've hurt people. The classic sniff test is that if someone will not take "no I do not forgive you" for an answer, they are not actually sorry or feeling guilt, they just want to stop having to deal with the consequences of their actions, and the beauty of forgiveness is that it cannot be genuinely granted until the other party understands that.

You even outlined a series of conditions that would demonstrate genuine contrition, which is entirely sensible and also things OP has given no indication he intends to do. Dude comes off as if he's learned that "I'm at fault and will respect their decision" are better magic words than just "I'm sorry," but if he had actually internalized that lesson he'd back the gently caress off and do something like the things you suggested instead of pressing the issue.

I'm a big softie and I'd love for OP to grow into a good dad, but people are dumping on him because he hasn't even begun to put in the work, not because their hearts are too hard to accept him.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Silly Newbie posted:

You can totally understand what made people do what they did, see their attempts at bettering themselves, forgive them a little or a lot, and then just never interact with them again. It's very freeing.

Edit - not to say that your family in particular deserves anything at all
Or
or
I could not give a poo poo about why they did what they did- that doesn't change that they did it, nor does it change that they only want forgiveness now not for the sake of their victims, but so that they themselves can feel better about what they inflicted upon other people. They are not owed forgiveness or reconciliation. They can ask, certainly, but 'no' is, and will always be, a possible answer and they'll just have to deal with that.

Misty Fog
Aug 18, 2020

Captain Hygiene posted:

Tries handle and it's locked

Maybe if I pull the handle 300 more times over the next 10 minutes it will open?

I think the OP needs his head checked before being angry at his partner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Misty Fog posted:

Tries handle and it's locked

Maybe if I pull the handle 300 more times over the next 10 minutes it will open?

I think the OP needs his head checked before being angry at his partner.

you forgot to scream "must be kidding me!" then the universe will reveal to you it was, in fact, kidding you the whole time and unlock the doors.