Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Even then I’d Daemon was kept as the original heir I think you avoid the civil war, though you’d likely have to make sure Daemon isn’t left alone with that baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Has any Targ pulled a Craster and marry his own daughter?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Yeah, I remember at the time thinking the choice was "definitely kill your wife and potentially save the baby, or do nothing and most likely lose both." It was an awful situation to be put in, and while Viserys should have consulted Aemma, she was pretty much doomed in either scenario.

As others have mentioned, this wasn't just him being selfish and "wanting a boy" above the health of his wife, the implications for realm stability make it a "good of the many" sort of situation. If that boy lived, the civil war probably doesn't happen.

It also highlights his dithering cowardice and people-pleasing, as he can’t find the courage to do anything but mumble noncommittally to his wife, a woman he genuinely loves, as she dies screaming.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
You know if Viserys had a dragon that was more Puff than Smaug, he’d totally be up there with terrified maesters in wicker sidecars totally mapping the poo poo out of that coast line.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

stephenthinkpad posted:

Has any Targ pulled a Craster and marry his own daughter?

A Targ that marry he own daughter, a shameless Targ.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
This is unironically way better than the actual intro lol

https://twitter.com/oochotd/status/1592189041512177672

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 20 hours!)

almost anything would be better than the actual HOTD credits.

the total refusal to do anything other than oblique or abstract visuals for credit sequences at this point feels like more of a crutch to me. it's cool when they actually have an idea for it that works, but when they don't, they do it anyway because showing human beings in credit sequences or even physical locations is considered low brow. at this point doing the prestige credits is safe and obvious. credit sequences can add a lot to watching a show so it does annoy me when there's an opportunity missed as badly as HOTD.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Phenotype posted:

This goes back to a theory I had when the other show was running -- people in Westeros are all kinda stupid. Remember how it took Tyrion coming to town before anyone thought to rig some extra straps onto a saddle so Bran could ride a horse? Or how Littlefinger was a political genius who gave Sansa to the Boltons for safekeeping?

Even if you're an Einstein-level genius, you're gonna be grubbing in the dirt all your life until some rear end in a top hat soldiers come through and kill you and steal all your stuff. Unless you're part of like a couple dozen families who spend all their time fighting and being assholes and selecting for being even bigger assholes. There could have been a dozen steam engines over the course of a hundred years in Westeros, but the inventors keep getting killed or tortured to death for entirely unrelated reasons.

Rappaport posted:

You've stumbled upon the tragedy of feudalism as a concept, which may be one of the major plot points behind the intellectual property, "Game of Thrones", when all is said and done.

And even Einsten was a patent clerk trying to make ends meet with too much time on his hands, society as a rule simply does not select for great innovators.

it's because GRRM just uses the archetypical popular imagination of Feudal Europe as a time of no technological innovation and complete stagnation cuz huuurrrr Christianity bad and backward as the basis for his world.

The popular culture imagination is basically "Roman Empire good advanced, feudal europe = backward". When in reality medieval Europe produced quite a few very useful engineering and agriculture, it's just that advances in animal feeding, crop rotation or inventing the horizontal loom just isn't sexy enough to make it into fantasy world X.

Even if you assume people are dumb it's like every generation of farmers/blacksmith/masons are going to discover small things that slightly improve productivity which when aggregated over 5000 years or so is going to make the society they live in utterly transformed from the lives their ancestors lived. Tech stagnation for 1000s of years requires -a lot-f of suspension of disbelief.

Typo fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 15, 2022

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Using that same theme just screams "we had no confidence this would work."

And they were right.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

And as soon as medieval Europe really took off we decided to call it something else

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Fitzy Fitz posted:

And as soon as medieval Europe really took off we decided to call it something else

The end of the middle ages is generally cited to be the mid-late 15th century

medieval Europe really began taking off way way before then, the period between 1100-1300 in England for instance was a time of rapid population and economic growth. In 200 years the population increased 3-4 times, Windmills began appearing in England in the 1100s, by 1300 there were around 10,000 of them. So the world of 1300 was pretty different than the one which existed just 100-200 years ago.

the more you learn about the period the more realize the line between "medieval" and "early modern" is actually pretty blurry/ and arbitary

By comparison GRRM"s westeros is static for like 5000+ yrs, to put things in perspective that's the distance between the Akkadian Empire and 2500 AD

Typo fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 15, 2022

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

Using that same theme just screams "we had no confidence this would work."

And they were right.

how hard was this?
http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/63740d75c7007-game-of-thrones-zeo-house-of-dragons.php

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Give all shows the Peacemaker intro until I personally get bored of it

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Typo posted:

it's because GRRM just uses the archetypical popular imagination of Feudal Europe as a time of no technological innovation and complete stagnation cuz huuurrrr Christianity bad and backward as the basis for his world.

The popular culture imagination is basically "Roman Empire good advanced, feudal europe = backward". When in reality medieval Europe produced quite a few very useful engineering and agriculture, it's just that advances in animal feeding, crop rotation or inventing the horizontal loom just isn't sexy enough to make it into fantasy world X.

Even if you assume people are dumb it's like every generation of farmers/blacksmith/masons are going to discover small things that slightly improve productivity which when aggregated over 5000 years or so is going to make the society they live in utterly transformed from the lives their ancestors lived. Tech stagnation for 1000s of years requires -a lot-f of suspension of disbelief.

I'm not sure if this is an unironic post defending feudalism? Okay, sure, there was some nice art done back then, sure, but feudalism as a system is hosed up, my friend.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Rappaport posted:

but feudalism as a system is hosed up, my friend.

I never claimed that it wasn't

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Yeah feudalism was bad and all if you weren't in charge but what does that have to do with anything in the quoted post?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

:lol:

I'd mark out.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Can't blame Martin too much for going with the cliched view of medieval Europe because aside from nerds in universities that's what everybody thought that medieval Europe was up until fairly recently. Also it's fantasy and outside of, like, Fable there isn't much fantasy that moves forward in a meaningful way.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Typo posted:

I never claimed that it wasn't

Yeah, but you did try to obliquely attribute the innovation of crop rotation to Christianity.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

I hope Rhaenyra wins. Go Team Black!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

This is unironically way better than the actual intro lol

https://twitter.com/oochotd/status/1592189041512177672

This rules, also did they sneak a shot of loving Dragonheart in there or is there actually a dragon that derpy in this show?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Disgusting how much better that is than the actual opening

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That editing is hella good but GoT does need an orchestral theme. Piano just doesn’t get me going.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

you gotta watch succession

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Trash Trick posted:

you gotta watch succession

Make this the new thread title.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Hipster opinion I know, but I hated Succession. It's basically "child abuse" the show and it was just too disgusting to watch. Not one redeemable character and when everyone in the cast is straight up evil, I don't really care what happens to any of them.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

if i'm not gonna like any of the doggone people, you gotta put dragons or wizards around at least, or something. i dont give a poo poo about this chairman of the bored bullshit. zero bags

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I do wanna watch Succession but I dunno I find following a buncha rich people kind of boring unless they have dragons

That DICK! posted:

if i'm not gonna like any of the doggone people, you gotta put dragons or wizards around at least, or something. i dont give a poo poo about this chairman of the bored bullshit. zero bags
yeah this

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Hipster opinion I know, but I hated Succession. It's basically "child abuse" the show and it was just too disgusting to watch. Not one redeemable character and when everyone in the cast is straight up evil, I don't really care what happens to any of them.

I have not seen the show, but everyone who recommends it to me lists everything you just said as reasons to watch. I guess it's like more awful Seinfeld? I'll give it a shot.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
magic = money and power
wizards = wealthy people
dragons = helicopters

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Marsupial Ape posted:

I have not seen the show, but everyone who recommends it to me lists everything you just said as reasons to watch. I guess it's like more awful Seinfeld? I'll give it a shot.

It's more of a character study than Seinfeld, but that's kinda the draw: watch these horrible-but-hellishly-rich people and laugh at their weird insecurities and dysfunctional family dynamics, and marvel at how their wealth has given them such a twisted idea of reality as they all try to screw eachother for their own completely unnecessary gain.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

It's Arrested Development but they say cum a lot

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

DaysBefore posted:

It's Arrested Development but they say cum a lot

[hackandfraud]Haha, you mean it’s a TV show about Something Awful?[/hackandfraud]

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

Marsupial Ape posted:

[hackandfraud]Haha, you mean it’s a TV show about Something Awful?[/hackandfraud]

Lowtax is Viserys in this analogy?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Cranappleberry posted:

magic = money and power
wizards = wealthy people
dragons = helicopters

Your traditional wizard is not all that good at human relations, and must use their, erm, wizardrying ways to get around that. Gandalf excluded, I guess. Money and by affiliation power are an inherited, structural affair in society, but just about anyone can be told yer a wizzard, Harry. (Maybe not, I'm not sure on the canon about Rowling's brand of wizardry)

And while anyone who has operated any sort of machine will be glad to tell you, they do have minds of their own, it's not really the same thing as a helicopter just deciding to eat you. Which we just saw, in fact, when the two helicopters fought and got carried away, and drove so much drama with their accidental murdering.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tristan Cole has to be the dumbest character in game of thrones history, and that bar is pretty high:
"the princess won't give up all her power and privileges to run away and become an average schmuck with me:qq:"

"I heard this weird rumour....."
"YES I hosed THE PRINCESS:byodood:"

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

It was hard to get into Succession with the Trump clan on TV non stop.

Loved the first season but the whole Targ men always produce white haired kids kind of stomps all over GoT main’s big secret doesn’t it.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

^burtle posted:

Loved the first season but the whole Targ men always produce white haired kids kind of stomps all over GoT main’s big secret doesn’t it.
Interestingly, Rhaenys has black hair in Fire & Blood for just this reason, since her mother was a Baratheon. For the show it's a lot easier visually if all Targaryens have the Targ look, though (other than the StrongVelaryon kids, since that's a plot point).

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Alhazred posted:

Tristan Cole has to be the dumbest character in game of thrones history, and that bar is pretty high:
"the princess won't give up all her power and privileges to run away and become an average schmuck with me:qq:"

"I heard this weird rumour....."
"YES I hosed THE PRINCESS:byodood:"

Honestly, the awkwardness and absurdity of that scene are what I liked about it. A lot of the GoT-verse hinges on the contrivance of either a manipulative character or plot contrivance. Schemes and destiny bullshit.

People do real dumb poo poo and make bad decisions. But I can see how you don’t want see that in your entertainment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

^burtle posted:

It was hard to get into Succession with the Trump clan on TV non stop.

The glaring exception being who is arguably the main character