Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
If we're going on about language...

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/the-delightful-perversity-of-quebecs-catholic-swears

quote:

“I have heard that people swear with the things they are afraid of,” says Olivier Bauer, a Swiss professor of religion who taught at the Université de Montréal and lived in the city for a decade. “So for English speaking people it’s sex, in Québec it is the church, and in France or Switzerland it is maybe more sexual or scatalogical.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

a cyborg mug posted:

The Danish number system is absolutely bonkers but has to do with the fact that it’s derived partly from a base-20 system instead of base-10, like most sane number systems. The weird cases in French are also derived from historical base-20 poo poo which used to be more common in Europe several centuries ago.

I mean, base 20 actually makes more sense when you really think about it. What else am I supposed to use all these toes for??

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Captain Hygiene posted:

I mean, base 20 actually makes more sense when you really think about it. What else am I supposed to use all these toes for??

Pedicure practice?

Humbug Scoolbus has a new favorite as of 01:33 on Nov 17, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Captain Hygiene posted:

Base 12 makes sense cause you can count on one hand using the segments of your fingers, and Base 60 is the same but using all 5 digits of the other hand as a modifier

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah it's hardly that uncommon in historical English either, see "four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie" or "four score and seven years ago...,"

I imagine most of the European-derived languages having at least semi-unique names for 11-19 is also a vestige of this

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Captain Hygiene posted:

this is ten toe privilege.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Friend posted:

Also I just realized why some posts say "this user has a new favorite." It never clicked for me that I only saw it in PYF threads :doh:

What are you talking about?

Powered Descent posted:

Edit this post and then look at it again.

:doh:

credburn has a new favorite as of 02:12 on Nov 17, 2022

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

credburn posted:

What are you talking about?

Edit this post and then look at it again.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Base 12 makes sense cause you can count on one hand using the segments of your fingers, and Base 60 is the same but using all 5 digits of the other hand as a modifier

Meanwhile you can count to 1023 on your fingers in binary.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Yeah, binary is pretty convenient, just a bit of a pain to convert back afterwards. Using the thumb to hold down fingers means counting up to 15 on one hand, or 255 on two hands, and that's usually plenty. yes, I have practised doing this

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I may have attempted it myself.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
i often count in binary on my fingers if i need to count something up past ~20 or so. it's a very useful trick, and i am a huge dweeb

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
To all this talk of counting binary on your fingers, I say "4."

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Tell your mom I said 22

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

101 kind of looks like 'lol' pls no probation

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

MariusLecter posted:

About the 4+4 thing.

69 is the last "normal" French number. Nice (not the city).

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Octante or huitante, cast your votes.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

One of the best things about my studies to become an elementary school teacher was how we started the math didactics course. Elementary school teachers will eventually end up teaching numbers and the base-10 system to some first-graders anyway.

Well, base-10 is practically automatic for you and me. How do we get into the mindset of a tiny child just learning how numbers work? Well, we started by learning how to do basic calculations in binary and base-5. That really made us think about how base-10 might seem like to someone learning it for the first time.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Every base is base 10 :v:

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

all your base are belong to 10

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Just went down a rabbithole of how James/Seamus/Hamish are all the same name, and it turns out it goes way deeper. James originates from biblical Jacob/Ya'akov, which has spread into almost every major language on the planet in some form (hence why the rule of King James was the Jacobean Era and his followers were Jacobites) .

But the real interesting one was that Ya'akov became Iacobus/Iacomus > Iaco > Iago, and then Santo Iago (the apostle James) became Santiago > Tiago > Diego.

So Hamish and Diego have the same origin, weird.

Failed Imagineer has a new favorite as of 11:19 on Nov 20, 2022

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Failed Imagineer posted:

Just went down a rabbithole of how James/Seamus/Hamish are all the same name, and it turns out it goes way deeper. James originates from biblical Jacob/Ya'akov, which has spread into almost every major language on the planet in some form (hence why the rule of King James was the Jacobean Era and his followers were Jacobites) .

But the real interesting one was that Ya'akov became Iacobus/Iacomus > Iaco > Iago, and then Santo Iago (the apostle James) became Santiago > Tiago > Diego.

So Hamish and Diego have the same origin, weird.

White people criticize naming your kid Jesus (Spanish pronunciation) without realizing that Josh is the same thing. Joshua/Yeshua

George/Jorge, John/Juan etc

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

White people criticize naming your kid Jesus (Spanish pronunciation) without realizing that Josh is the same thing. Joshua/Yeshua

Right, but Jesus was named after Joshua, not the other way around. It was - and still is - a common Jewish name.

Is "Jesus" just how you write the name "Joshua" if you speak Spanish? Or is it (presumably very Catholic in origin) specifically naming your kid after the Christian religious figure?

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 12:39 on Nov 20, 2022

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Spanish for "Joshua" is "Josué", which seems to be exclusively biblical

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

They criticize it because they're racist op

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Milo and POTUS posted:

They criticize it because they're racist op

Oh I know

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

It would be, and I was disappointed when I found out that's not what they do :(

In the last sequel movie they blow up planets and nobody calls them 'planet destroyers'.

Should have just gone full cheese and made the star destroyers literal.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Tunicate posted:

In the last sequel movie they blow up planets and nobody calls them 'planet destroyers'.

do you want sun crushers? cause thats how you get sun crushers

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Tunicate posted:

the Mike Nelson class ship

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Tunicate posted:

I mean it's not like it's the stars themselves that are at war.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

White people criticize naming your kid Jesus

That’s something white people complain about? I’ve never heard that in my whole life and I live in Texas. We’re fair to bursting with Jesuses.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Lincoln posted:

That’s something white people complain about? I’ve never heard that in my whole life and I live in Texas. We’re fair to bursting with Jesuses.

Oregon here and yeah can confirm.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Names are names, it doesn't matter what they're derived from. Joshua isn't the same name as Jesus. Your name doesn't just switch to a different variation when you enter another country, although for convenience sake I realize a ton of people do this anyway. I (a white guy) had a Mexican neighbor who introduced himself to me as "Mike" and for a long time I called him Mike until I met his friends and family, all of whom called him Miguel.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

credburn posted:

Names are names, it doesn't matter what they're derived from. Joshua isn't the same name as Jesus. Your name doesn't just switch to a different variation when you enter another country,

I was bummed that they decided we won't be Finlandizing rulers' names officially anymore so the new king of whatever is called Charles not Kaarle. Stupid decision IMHO.

E: although they already didn't do it with Juan Carlos so vOv

Ee: just found our they haven't been doing it to non-Nordic rulers since the 1970s. Makes no sense :wtf:

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 06:39 on Nov 21, 2022

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Can’t believe they’re just going to stop and leave them all unfinnished

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

christmas boots posted:

Can’t believe they’re just going to stop and leave them all unfinnished

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
"We don't translate names", we say, and then literally do all the time.

In Sweden we use Swedish names for the other Nordic cities, but usually not for others, where we instead use...the English names, pronounced in Swedish. Also we called Beijing "Peking".

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Phosphine posted:

Also we called Beijing "Peking".

There's a long long looooooong history of people referring to foreign countries and cities by weird names which the locals don't use: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endonym_and_exonym

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's a long long looooooong history of people referring to foreign countries and cities by weird names which the locals don't use: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endonym_and_exonym

It's weird to me that almost everyone else calls Wendia "Swedeland", including Wendians themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

credburn posted:

Names are names, it doesn't matter what they're derived from. Joshua isn't the same name as Jesus. Your name doesn't just switch to a different variation when you enter another country, although for convenience sake I realize a ton of people do this anyway. I (a white guy) had a Mexican neighbor who introduced himself to me as "Mike" and for a long time I called him Mike until I met his friends and family, all of whom called him Miguel.

They used to change like that. Guy baptized as Jürgen crosses from Germany to Denmark would be called Jørgen, then he enters Sweden and is called Göran, then Yrjö in Finland & Yuri in Russia. This because people considered them to be the same names, literally, the spellings were just regional variants. Mostly that stopped by the mid-1800s, but you still see it with royalty to some extent.

Note that it did not happen to any major extent at Ellis Island, as by then the paperwork was good. People had documents, the ships had passenger manifests, etc, so at least Europeans would generally be recorded with the spelling from their home country. Many did change their names afterwards though.