Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

My recollection is that when I:R released the biggest complaint was that it was functionally way too close to EU:R with all of that game's shortcomings. It made it feel like there was no particularly strong creative vision for how the new game should feel, when the development gap between EU:R and I:R and the different title meant that there was room to experiment more and try out new stuff. And like people have repeated multiple times, that release game did function as a base to go into a more unique direction as post-release development progressed.

It didn't have to stop there, Paradox. Do the needful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Yep agree, basically nobody wanted EU Rome 2, they wanted a PDX game with late antiquity themed mechanics.

I mean the game didn’t even have dual consuls at launch, that’s how bad it was at simulating the period.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Up to release Imperator's dev diaries really showcased how bland it was too. Every screenshot was just examples of percentage modifiers and various numbers. This was clearly felt by PDX too as in the last few weeks up to release Johan stopped writing the diaries and they were much more interesting after that.

But yeah as everyone else said, the core issue was that there wasn't really anything interesting going on. All the tribals were playable but might as well not have been in the game as they were just boring. They were clearly meant to have a bigger focus on characters, but it was bland interactions and nothing really made individuals stand out. I think Imperator fell into a lot of the same blandness that Civilization: Beyond Earth did. It felt like they wanted to be Crusader Kings without being Crusader Kings, and EU4 without being EU4. Just a series of borrowed but hollowed out features.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I:R's biggest sin is just how unbearably ugly its UI is. Absolutely criminal for a game based around an incredibly colourful period.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Up to release Imperator's dev diaries really showcased how bland it was too. Every screenshot was just examples of percentage modifiers and various numbers. This was clearly felt by PDX too as in the last few weeks up to release Johan stopped writing the diaries and they were much more interesting after that.

But yeah as everyone else said, the core issue was that there wasn't really anything interesting going on. All the tribals were playable but might as well not have been in the game as they were just boring. They were clearly meant to have a bigger focus on characters, but it was bland interactions and nothing really made individuals stand out. I think Imperator fell into a lot of the same blandness that Civilization: Beyond Earth did. It felt like they wanted to be Crusader Kings without being Crusader Kings, and EU4 without being EU4. Just a series of borrowed but hollowed out features.

It was also Victoria without being Victoria with the pop system, but I think that's one of the core mechanics it actually did really well, even if most of the relevant information was hidden behind provincial submenus. For me at least it properly scratched that itch of feeling like you are building up your country's society and turning sparse provinces into megalopoleis.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Red Bones posted:

I still think it'd be cool to see a Paradox game that goes all into the naval gameplay as a way to differentiate itself. Either some fictional Earthsea-esque setting, or like, Caribbean pirates, or classical maritime South East Asia, something like that. Buy the One Piece license.

It'd be the perfect excuse to bring back Jazz Boatman.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
This is gonna sound insane but I actually think I:R's pop mechanics were better than V3's in some ways. Or at least clearer.

You could easily see how and why a pop was promoting, migrating, assimilating, and converting. And you could make decisions and clearly see the influence on these four axes in various ways. V3's pop mechanics are more complex, but then also weirdly you engage with them less as a result. You build buildings to try and meet their needs and turn them into pops that support the right IG's so you can liberalise, but that's basically it.

I also think I:R had some cool moments of interplay between the character, economic, pop, and warfare systems:
troop types raised from a province would depend on the social demographics of the pops (culture and class)
generals who were made disloyal because of political machinations would stop taking orders and just do their own thing
mercenaries actually had a leader character who, depending on traits, could be bribed to switch sides

just lots of cool little things like that

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Imp changed so much between release and EOL that it's kind of hard for me to say what turned people off it because I barely remember that version of the game.

fuf posted:

I also think I:R had some cool moments of interplay between the character, economic, pop, and warfare systems:
troop types raised from a province would depend on the social demographics of the pops (culture and class)

The class part got cut prior to the patch dropping, unfortunately, but yeah, modern Imp has developed quite an interesting relationship between the fine structure of a polity and the resources available to it. Not perfect, obviously. Integrating and assimilating cultures is still far too easy. States still find it too easy and too valuable to expand into non-state territory.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

My opinion is that Imperator isn't balanced enough - there's just not enough viable starts/conflicts on the start date to give variety of outcomes and different campaigns for the player.

Look at EU4, even in Europe you've got England/France/Castille/Aragon/Portugal/Burgandy/Milan/Venice/Austria/Ottomans/Moscowy/Poland/Sweden/Brandenburg off the top of my head as interesting starts which play somewhere different to each other. And all of those countries will get into conflicts with a few others in different ways and have different directions of expansion which are viable.

In imperator, you've got... Rome/Carthage/Macedonia/Epirus/Egypt/Antagonids? And the last is a giant Ming-sized blob with no challenge at all, and the others are about a war or two from domiance.

Depending on your start, it's either nearly impossible or fairly easy to get to the same state it takes 200 years in EU4, where you are the strongest state with no meaningful challengers. And that leads to a bad game, no matter how interesting the mechanics were.

I'm broadly in agreement with this, or at least that it's far too easy to hit that point of total dominance. I don't think very many polities fall into that "nearly impossible" bucket, though- unless you're immediately adjacent to one of the powers, you're never really more than a generation or two from snowballing. It's especially easy with a tribe, because everybody in those regions is of roughly equal size and so one good war can catapult you to regional hegemon status.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Rynoto posted:

I:R's biggest sin is just how unbearably ugly its UI is. Absolutely criminal for a game based around an incredibly colourful period.
If only they had listened to me:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

The eventual UI rework went with a lot of red and teal.

Still predominantly white, though.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

The eventual UI rework went with a lot of red and teal.

Still predominantly white, though.

That is incredibly bright. Yeesh. What Pastry posted looks good though.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Quite frankly Imperator's character system was so bizarrely implemented that I would prefer it didnt exist or at least was scaled back to a Total War style family tree. Republics in particular had a hard time making you care about your "character" when they would just get replaced by the next election so you had no incentive to care about their personal wealth or popularity whatsoever.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I don't know what we're they thinking with that scorned families system. It's designed as a memory test: can you remember which families have enough offices and which don't when you go to job assignment screen?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Honestly I still feel you playing as a family would have been the best way to approach the game. Not playing specifically the head like in ck2, but just that dynasty in general. You want to acquire holdings and make your family better. You want to manage the other families because they compete. Have some minor chars who win most of the elections and you get them to count as your family via patronage. Focus on that tension between your powerful family and the state.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

If you did that you couldn't play as Rome. I think I:R is better when it leans into its EU elements over its CK elements honestly, remember that another thing that no-one liked was that losing to a revolt was treated as game over.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

YF-23 posted:

If you did that you couldn't play as Rome. I think I:R is better when it leans into its EU elements over its CK elements honestly, remember that another thing that no-one liked was that losing to a revolt was treated as game over.

It would require major mechanics shakeups, like I would actually want proper yearly consul elections and it's about playing the patronage game that just getting someone from your family elected. And maybe some player only mechanics where if you aren't the leader of a republic, you can still control armies under a general who have patronage of. :shrug: It's a looser messier thing, and me wanting to be about the family is trying to find that balance that's not just playing as a state, but not playing as a specific character either.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

YF-23 posted:

playing as rome would be exactly where that system would shine. the empire was basically just the end result of one faction of families gaining a decisive edge over the opposing faction and consolidating power to the point that it was very difficult to challenge, and so much of what roman history is, is poorly modeled by a unitary state but very well modeled by factional conflict within a nominally unitary state

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jazerus posted:

playing as rome would be exactly where that system would shine. the empire was basically just the end result of one faction of families gaining a decisive edge over the opposing faction and consolidating power to the point that it was very difficult to challenge, and so much of what roman history is, is poorly modeled by a unitary state but very well modeled by factional conflict within a nominally unitary state

sounds to me like maybe Rome could be modeled by a hybrid of CK3's dynasties system within something like EU4's HRE

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Eimi posted:

It would require major mechanics shakeups, like I would actually want proper yearly consul elections and it's about playing the patronage game that just getting someone from your family elected. And maybe some player only mechanics where if you aren't the leader of a republic, you can still control armies under a general who have patronage of. :shrug: It's a looser messier thing, and me wanting to be about the family is trying to find that balance that's not just playing as a state, but not playing as a specific character either.

Jazerus posted:

It is the sort of thing that I could see working in a more focused game, but not in a paradox "you can play as any country on the map" game, since it would be hard to transfer the mechanics and flavour to other countries. It would be weird and (to me and I assume a lot of other players) off-putting if you couldn't play as Rome "normally".

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
The best thing about I:R was choosing who should go to the Olympics.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Does I:R get discounted frequently?

I see it's still €39.99, and for something that I may not like and will never get any updates, that's too much just to try it out. If it's €15 in the christmas sale, I'd likely pick it up to play for a few weeks once in a while

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

EricBauman posted:

Does I:R get discounted frequently?

I see it's still €39.99, and for something that I may not like and will never get any updates, that's too much just to try it out. If it's €15 in the christmas sale, I'd likely pick it up to play for a few weeks once in a while

You can get it for $8.50 right now.

https://isthereanydeal.com/game/imperatorrome/info/

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Paradox sure likes these “Surviving” games. This is the first one I think actually looks interesting at least.

https://twitter.com/PDXArc/status/1593242837407399939

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009
I did really like what they settled on for how you raised armies at the end of I:R. I liked going from levies you only had some limited control over the composition of to a mix of levies and professionals who you did have control of composition for to a fully professional army over the course of the game. Always felt weird to me how in EU you start out with standing state run army in in the mid 15th century and then the only changes to it are adding cannons and increasing its size.

The Pops were good too, but I'm a sucker for pop systems in general. I do also particularly like how if there's a particularly protracted war, or if a region is repeatedly invaded and changes hands a lot the the region it will get noticeably depopulated as armies loot the cities and carry off the population, its particularly felt a lot better to me than EUIV's devastation number and CK3's control number.

The political system and the characters always felt a bit janky to me, like they wanted to have these systems but didn't really know what to do with them. They got 'better' over the course of the game's limited lifespan but they never really got 'good' imo. It was nice to have a face to the rulers but despite all the CK style actions you could do to them the characters never really felt integrated into the rest of the game beyond when generals could get disloyal.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Archaeology Hat posted:

I did really like what they settled on for how you raised armies at the end of I:R. I liked going from levies you only had some limited control over the composition of to a mix of levies and professionals who you did have control of composition for to a fully professional army over the course of the game. Always felt weird to me how in EU you start out with standing state run army in in the mid 15th century and then the only changes to it are adding cannons and increasing its size.

The Pops were good too, but I'm a sucker for pop systems in general. I do also particularly like how if there's a particularly protracted war, or if a region is repeatedly invaded and changes hands a lot the the region it will get noticeably depopulated as armies loot the cities and carry off the population, its particularly felt a lot better to me than EUIV's devastation number and CK3's control number.
It kinda sounds like I:R is doing a lot of things EU5 should be doing. The trade/production system also seemed interesting, being a little more developed than in EU4 but not to the point of needless tedium - does that bear out in the final product?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Anno posted:

Paradox sure likes these “Surviving” games.
Paradox the publisher has a studio that produces those games, so, uh, yeah.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Levies/professionals/mercs with some tweaks makes sense for EU and honestly would be better for CK3 than trash + MAA + Dynasty WarriorsKnights. Levies in Rome not being trash but being regional troops relevant to the area, like greeks get lots of light inf/cav, decent amounts of heavy inf, and if successor, some heavy cav. Steppe nomads get lots of horsies. You get the picture. They're not inherently worse than the legions- legions just get to be set up how you like and don't drain the local province. They're a good catch all system for all kinds of local styles of constructing armies, rather than stock "give dirty peasant spear, point at enemy."

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
e gently caress

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

One big advantage of legions was it was the only way to get engineers afaik, so you could have a cool dynamic where you can use your levy for actual battles while the professionals crack cities open and supply some more heavy troops when not sieging.

again, for how rough the game was it was in a genuinely good place when the plug got pulled, it sucks. Carthage was like some beta version of Austria from Victoria where youre trying to keep an empire of minorities who hate you under control while keeping up with a rapidly consolidating rival to the north and it was great.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Paradox the publisher has a studio that produces those games, so, uh, yeah.

This isn’t it, though, if you mean Iceflake. Though I think they published Surviving the Aftermath before acquiring Iceflake so maybe they’re looking to do the same thing here.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

CommonShore posted:

sounds to me like maybe Rome could be modeled by a hybrid of CK3's dynasties system within something like EU4's HRE

Well before you do that I'd point out CK3 also does a terrible job of modelling Rome :v:

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Ah, thanks!

And I don't need any of the DLC to see what the game is like in its current 'finished' state, right?

Edit: Ah gently caress it, those mission pack DLCs are marked down too, so why not?

EricBauman fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 17, 2022

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Agean90 posted:

One big advantage of legions was it was the only way to get engineers afaik, so you could have a cool dynamic where you can use your levy for actual battles while the professionals crack cities open and supply some more heavy troops when not sieging.

again, for how rough the game was it was in a genuinely good place when the plug got pulled, it sucks. Carthage was like some beta version of Austria from Victoria where youre trying to keep an empire of minorities who hate you under control while keeping up with a rapidly consolidating rival to the north and it was great.

This also reminds me that you used legions to make roads which was also a system I really liked playing around with. Imperator had really cool stuff going for it. :smith:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
any Goon-Approved :thumbsup: mods for Imperator?

forkis
Sep 15, 2011

Farecoal posted:

any Goon-Approved :thumbsup: mods for Imperator?

Invictus is good if you're looking for a vanilla+ experience! Otherwise, idk, the LOTR mod unexpectedly rose from the dead a few months ago despite the modding team moving over to work on CK3, so maybe that's worth a shot?

There might be other gems hiding on the workshop too, but those are the two mods I've spent the most time messing around with in the past.

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!

YF-23 posted:

This also reminds me that you used legions to make roads which was also a system I really liked playing around with. Imperator had really cool stuff going for it. :smith:

Building up my little road network was my very favorite part of the game, I so wish they'd included a similar system for railroads in Vic3

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It kinda sounds like I:R is doing a lot of things EU5 should be doing. The trade/production system also seemed interesting, being a little more developed than in EU4 but not to the point of needless tedium - does that bear out in the final product?

Nah, the trade system isn't great. Probably my least favourite mechanic left in the game? It's a whole bunch of clicking- like, nightmare levels of clicking if you decide you want to do more that just get your cap bonuses. And the routes keep breaking because of wars and rebellions so you need to keep redoing everything, There's very little actual decision making in it, too- at most you might need to think about what your priorities for those cap bonuses are but that doesn't change much run to run. The click to decision ratio here is off the charts.

There are other things I don't like about it, like, external trade is a lot more valuable than external trade? So you want to keep a lot of minors around so you can run trade routes with them, like some sort of weird accounting shell game. And it falls hard into that traditional Paradox problem where a region's economic potential is inappropriately coupled to the number of arbitrary divisions it's been partitioned into. Worst, in my mind, is the fact that all trades are direct from producer to consumer, so production and trade aren't really separable axes of income. If you're rich in land then you're going to be rich in trade, and if you're poor in land you're going to be similarly poor in trade. There's no opportunity for man-in-the-middle profits. I don't even know if that's appropriate to the period or not, I just know it has a flattening effect on the game's economy.

Production is... alright? Again, I don't like the way it couples tile density to economic value, but the way the system works drives a lot of moment-to-moment gameplay in a way that's... satisfying to execute on, even if I don't think it amounts to what Radia would call an interesting decision. Lots of "Oh, there's honey here. I want to build a city on that.", or "This province has three grain tiles in it. I should slap farms on them and move a bunch of slaves there."

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Levies/professionals/mercs with some tweaks makes sense for EU and honestly would be better for CK3 than trash + MAA + Dynasty WarriorsKnights. Levies in Rome not being trash but being regional troops relevant to the area, like greeks get lots of light inf/cav, decent amounts of heavy inf, and if successor, some heavy cav. Steppe nomads get lots of horsies. You get the picture. They're not inherently worse than the legions- legions just get to be set up how you like and don't drain the local province. They're a good catch all system for all kinds of local styles of constructing armies, rather than stock "give dirty peasant spear, point at enemy."

It's funny, right? Because CK2 had Imperator's system, more or less. Imperator's is a lot cleaner and it does more interesting things with it, but the skeleton was there.

I think what happened with 3 is that, they looked at 2's combat model, went, there is a tonne of complexity here that is a) opaque, b) non-interactive, c) is not doing anything interesting, because everyone has the same levy composition, more or less, and the AI doesn't know what to do with retinues. So they did the textbook game design thing, stripped that out and replaced it with a simple, clean system with all its levers clearly marked. Aaaand it's no more interesting, and less balanced.

I have sympathy for the CK3 team, honestly, they did exactly what they were supposed to and no one is happy.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like the "everybody basically has the same levy composition" issue could have been addressed by varying what unit types you get more dramatically based on terrain, which is something CK3 kind of already supports with it having a lot of terrain-specific building types, where CK2 had identical holdings no matter where they were + one unique cultural building.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Could have been solved in a lot of different ways! But you need to decide that it’s a problem there is value in solving first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I have sympathy for the CK3 team, honestly, they did exactly what they were supposed to and no one is happy.

I don’t think they really did? The biggest problem in CK2 was the unevenness of retinues, which they double down behind in CK3, to predictable results.