Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

External Organs posted:

There is nothing cooler to a 7 year old than the concept of a Battle Bridge.

Small potatoes compared to what Power Rangers would get into.

Big transformations for vehicles are cool. But also the kind of cool that The Next Generation, especially the earlier seasons, was largely uninterested in, so it's a weird fit. Most of the space battles weren't framed very complexly or dynamically in the space shots. I think they wanted to keep the exterior shots slow to indicate some kind of more scale and dignity that would be lost if they moved a bunch of models around quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

There were a bunch of times in the run of the show that having a "second" ship would've come in really, really handy.

You don't think of them when it's happening, so it passes the Speilberg Drive Home From The Theater Test, but they essentially had two starships at their disposal and it comes up to the tune of never.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I must be the only person who thinks the cobra head on the stardrive section looks fine, cool even.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The battle bridge and saucer seperation also doesn't make a lot of sense because phasers come from the saucer section of the Enterprise and thats basically giving up half your weapons when you seperate. I may be wrong thought I don't recall phasers ever coming from the battle bridge area.

Also does the saucer section have warp drive? Like is it just stuck on impulse power?

Anyway it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 17, 2022

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There are three phaser arrays on the cobra head.

Two are exposed even when the saucer is connected.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

bull3964 posted:

There are three phaser arrays on the cobra head.

Yea I couldn't remember if it had phasers or not I can't remember ever seeing it fired.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hollismason posted:

Yea I couldn't remember if it had phasers or not I can't remember ever seeing it fired.

Arsenal of Freedom.

https://youtu.be/ZotMRpnk0VY

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

There are phaser banks on the nacelle struts, too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The stardrive section has 10 phaser arrays. Saucer has 2. So the stardrive section loses the saucer’s ventral array when it’s separated, but it doesn’t really matter since the dorsal array on the cobra head should have enough field of fire.

Enterprise D is not loving around.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah but in theory there's gotta be a reason the huge phaser array on the saucer is so wide and huge.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Because the sfx looks cool when it fires.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

later trek scaling that back and making the arrays smaller and dropping the charge going around the entire array and eventually just making it a simple beam that fires out with no preamble is the #1 piece of evidence they all had terrible taste.

The energy swooping around and blasting out looks so cool.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 17, 2022

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Hi everyone. I've been marathoning Star Trek this year and I've seen a bulk of TOS and I'm on the sixth season of TNG. I'm almost at the point when DS9 will enter my routine and I'm getting caught up with the TOS films before I reach the end of TNG. I like the creepy episodes the most. Sometimes I wonder if the replicator food is as good as the real thing.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yeah, the best part about Galaxies showing up on DS9 was that they kept doing the charge-up animation

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

And then there was that one time the fx people messed up and had a phaser beam come out of the forward torpedo launcher.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

And then there was that one time the fx people messed up and had a phaser beam come out of the forward torpedo launcher.

They fixed it in the remaster, at least.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

McSpanky posted:

I must be the only person who thinks the cobra head on the stardrive section looks fine, cool even.

I think the Cardassian ships have a look vaguely like that, like they're starfleet ships without saucers, whatever philosophical implications that would entail.

Giving the audience a cool, slick looking variant of the enterprise kinda cheats on the boldness of the weird, goofy design choices at the core of Star Trek's original ship design.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/TrekTNGLog/status/1593041258351513600

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

dr_rat posted:

Apparently it wasn't so much a cost thing, as that's why they filmed the SFX shot of the separation in the pilot, so they could just reuse those when ever they needed, spending 15-20 seconds on showing that often just messes with the pacing of the show, particularly as usually when they would want to do it, would be an action/tense scene where you really don't want to be cutting away to unimportant stuff.

For a bunch of people that liked referencing anime they sure didn't know how to put stock footage and transformation sequences into things without breaking flow :haw:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It would be funny to see it become so commonplace and comically fast that it was like a disc shooter, just half a second's spring-loaded saucer yeet then back to business

The camera whips over to watch the saucer plummet into space like, well hopefully they'll be okay, now let's phaser some romulans

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The original plan with TNG was that the early stock footage would be able to comprise almost all of the effects, but as they got into the show that turned out to not be the case and they were needing new stuff continuously.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Is this the new TNG S8 replacement

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

FlamingLiberal posted:

No doubt they're angling to be showrunner for lower decks: the next generation

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

FlamingLiberal posted:

i hope not 'cause that looks like a madlibs generator.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Also does the saucer section have warp drive? Like is it just stuck on impulse power?

Yeah, just impulse. IIRC the technical manual showed backup fusion generators in the saucer to power impulse and all the other keep-the-crew-alive functions, and there was a whole procedure for how to make sure it would coast out of warp safely if they had to separate at speed

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Not giving the saucer warp, even if it was like warp 2 off the fusion reactors, was one of the dumber things about the concept.

Put little blue glowies in the space under the hood that only shows when separated.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Not giving the saucer warp, even if it was like warp 2 off the fusion reactors, was one of the dumber things about the concept.

Put little blue glowies in the space under the hood that only shows when separated.

This is one of the things I appreciate about the Prometheus-class: every part of the ship is independently warp capable.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I was gonna say they painted themselves into a corner by making the warp core so big, but shuttles have warp too, right? I guess maybe to go warp 9 you need a core that's 2 stories tall and strangely exposed so it can leak coolant :shrug:

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

DoubleCakes posted:

Hi everyone. I've been marathoning Star Trek this year and I've seen a bulk of TOS and I'm on the sixth season of TNG. I'm almost at the point when DS9 will enter my routine and I'm getting caught up with the TOS films before I reach the end of TNG. I like the creepy episodes the most. Sometimes I wonder if the replicator food is as good as the real thing.

In an early episode from TNG, a guy from the 21st century who was frozen remarked that the replicators make the best drinks he ever tasted.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sir Lemming posted:

I was gonna say they painted themselves into a corner by making the warp core so big, but shuttles have warp too, right? I guess maybe to go warp 9 you need a core that's 2 stories tall and strangely exposed so it can leak coolant :shrug:

the core on the ship is way more than 2 stories, it keeps going

https://i.imgur.com/UnegMMo.mp4

But yeah shuttles max out at like warp 2 or 3. And also the Enterprise is a lot bigger than a shuttle, got a lot more to push.

The type 6 shuttles run their warp drive on fusion, the larger curvey type 7s from the early seasons are meant to have a proper little warp core in the rear cabin we never saw, and the boxy little 2-man type 15 shuttlepods are sublight only.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Nov 18, 2022

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Shuttles having warp has always been pretty dumb. Also never making the matte paintings or poo poo to really show off that the D was basically an aircraft carrier of shuttles with that main shuttle bay deck was also pretty much a missed opportunity.

Of course with the magic of transporters, shuttles are pretty useless so :shrug:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Shuttles having warp as an idea is fine but they're just a bit small for it because they needed to have manageable on-set scale mock-ups. It made a bit more sense with the giant season 1 shuttles that were twice as big.

Ideally TNG would've had the Space RV that is the runabout for long trips from the start, but that was well beyond them back then.

The early schematics had a thing where the D had a bunch of unseen larger sublight shuttlepods that could be attached to some warp sleds if needed for a long trip.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 18, 2022

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?

jeeves posted:

Shuttles having warp has always been pretty dumb. Also never making the matte paintings or poo poo to really show off that the D was basically an aircraft carrier of shuttles with that main shuttle bay deck was also pretty much a missed opportunity.

Of course with the magic of transporters, shuttles are pretty useless so :shrug:
It occurs to me: does “decompress the main shuttle bay” mean “throw like 100+ people into space to die”?

Maybe you could transport some folks out, even after they get spaced. That could be a cool action scene, actually.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
The Prometheus is three shuttles in a big raincoat. Good design.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pascallion posted:

It occurs to me: does “decompress the main shuttle bay” mean “throw like 100+ people into space to die”?

Red Alert would probably include everyone clearing from pressure-variable areas like the shuttlebay.

quote:

Maybe you could transport some folks out, even after they get spaced. That could be a cool action scene, actually.

A neat detail in Star Trek Online is little signs on the wall of spacedock and places like that that say

Be sure you know what to do the event of an unexpected depressurisation event!
  1. Anchor yourself to the nearest brace if possible
  2. exhale immediately to avoid lung damage
  3. triple tap your combadge to activate your personal distress beacon and request transport
  4. attempt to follow emergency lighting signals directing you towards the nearest shelter or pressure suit locker

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

jeeves posted:

Shuttles having warp has always been pretty dumb.

I think they realized this, too. The Type 6s are too small to have a real warp drive, as noted, so everyone's like "yeah, we have a fancy fusion reactor that means they can warp if they have to... but only barely and only for a few hours max." Which ends up just highlighting the dumbness, because nothing's covering a relevant distance without warp speed. Especially since, like you said, transporters are infinitely more practical as ship-to-surface transport, the one time you wouldn't need warp.

Runabout supremacy is what I'm saying, I guess!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Shuttles are useful for dropping off Geordi when you can't be hosed driving the whole ship in-system at impulse and then back out. (Remember how they used to do that?)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MikeJF posted:

Red Alert would probably include everyone clearing from pressure-variable areas like the shuttlebay.

A neat detail in Star Trek Online is little signs on the wall of spacedock and places like that that say

Be sure you know what to do the event of an unexpected depressurisation event!
  1. Anchor yourself to the nearest brace if possible
  2. exhale immediately to avoid lung damage
  3. triple tap your combadge to activate your personal distress beacon and request transport
  4. attempt to follow emergency lighting signals directing you towards the nearest shelter or pressure suit locker

Instructions unclear, ended up dragging one of the ship's structural members with me to the pressure suit locker.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The people who hate replicated food or want to go off and make a colony on a contested planet are the future versions of people today who wonder if we really need modern medical technology or who go off to squat in the wilderness. Growing up with the comforts of modern society leaves them without an understanding of why we developed modern technology to begin with, to escape from dying from treatable illnesses or being one bad harvest away from famine.

The replicated drink probably was better than anything you could get in the 20th century and Eddington thinking the hand-grown corn and tomatoes were better than replicated food was all in his imagination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Powered Descent posted:

Instructions unclear, ended up dragging one of the ship's structural members with me to the pressure suit locker.

"Computer, create an adversary capable of defeating Data." *computer creates a holographic Amelia Bedelia*