Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Here’s a crude WAR-like metric based on xERA. Assume replacement level xERA is about 5.00 (where you set this isn’t particularly important for ranking the pitchers at the top, it just changes the scaling. Edit: actually it does matter since it changes the breakpoint in terms of how many innings it takes to make up for a higher xERA. Alcantara stays on top as long as replacement level xERA is at least 4.50. Below that Nola passes him, but you’d have to drop replacement level all the way down to 3.90 before Rodon passes Sandy, and I think we can safely say that’s not realistic in 2022)

“xWAR” = (5.00 - xERA) * IP

Alcantara comes out on top because his volume was enough to overcome the slightly worse xERA

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Red posted:

This is dumb, because a few extra rooms rented from a Holiday Inn don't actually do anything for working people.

Having worked for a destination marketing organization in the past, this is inaccurate. Tourists are temporary taxpayers; not only do they sleep in a destination's hotels, but they eat at the restaurants, they drink at the bars, they buy poo poo at stores, and are basically the difference-maker between profit and loss for low-margin businesses like food & beverage and retail every year. Tourists are a vital cog in cities' economies. Even loving Paducah, Kentucky, experiences a huge economic boost every year because of ... wait for it ... a goddamn quilting festival.

Don't get me wrong, taxpayer-funded stadiums are bullshit, have always been bullshit and will always be bullshit, but the direct spending impact of tourism is very real.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

JV wins his 3rd CY. Got all of the 1st place votes

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
he's gotta have an Astros hat on his plaque now, right? 2x Cy Young, 2x World Series

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Johnny Bravo posted:

he's gotta have an Astros hat on his plaque now, right? 2x Cy Young, 2x World Series

I still think he goes in with a blank hat unless Crane does the right thing and gives him the three year contract he’s looking for and retires an Astro.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
https://twitter.com/JeffFletcherOCR/status/1593043206803181568

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
For what it's worth Verlander as Tiger is the first thing that pops into my head.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Gonna be extremely dumb when they give the MVP to Judge cause he broke a not record.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That just means you’re old OP

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Popete posted:

For what it's worth Verlander as Tiger is the first thing that pops into my head.

Yeah it's the same for me still. It's just staggering how great his years with Houston have been now that he has a 2nd Cy Young

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The unanimous vote leapfrogs Verlander (5.21) ahead of Scherzer (4.61) and Kershaw (4.58) in career Cy Young award shares. He also passes Maddux (4.92) to take third all time on that list, behind Johnson (6.50) and Clemens (7.66). Previous to this year he was 8th all time behind Pedro and Carleton, just ahead of Seaver.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I think Alcantara and Verlander deserved to win, because IMO the most important stats for Cy Young are runs allowed and IP. Still, Rodon was so fuckin good this year though.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Man, I forgot all about JV throwing a no hitter in 2019. Yea, those 3.5 years have been stacked with accolades

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Verlander going to go in as a Devil Ray.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/UnfortunateMLB/status/1593045965958967297

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Popete posted:

Gonna be extremely dumb when they give the MVP to Judge cause he broke a not record.

at least it's not as egregious as when Stanton won for hitting homers and not playing defense. it's still very dumb, though, Judge winning the all time AL record for homers in a little league park is accolade enough.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Strong contender for worst trade of all time - yeesh.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh idk, Ozuna contributed more than say, Josh Fields.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hot drat, a Marlin finally won a Cy Young

D-Train should have won it in 2005, he was unstoppable

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Kirios posted:

Pedro Martinez for Delino Deshields (sorry bawfuls)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Once again it's a race for second place after Ruth for $100K

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I still think it's the Miguel Cabrera trade, and it's not even close. You traded a generational player in his prime for a guy who was mostly used as a reliever, a 4th outfielder type, and a pile of scrap.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kirios posted:

not even close

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Pedro Martinez for Delino Deshields (sorry bawfuls)
exactly

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Timby posted:

Having worked for a destination marketing organization in the past, this is inaccurate. Tourists are temporary taxpayers; not only do they sleep in a destination's hotels, but they eat at the restaurants, they drink at the bars, they buy poo poo at stores, and are basically the difference-maker between profit and loss for low-margin businesses like food & beverage and retail every year. Tourists are a vital cog in cities' economies. Even loving Paducah, Kentucky, experiences a huge economic boost every year because of ... wait for it ... a goddamn quilting festival.

Don't get me wrong, taxpayer-funded stadiums are bullshit, have always been bullshit and will always be bullshit, but the direct spending impact of tourism is very real.

Yeah, but it's the temporary part that, to me, means more part time jobs (stadium staff, hotel staff, restaurant wait staff) and less actual full-time jobs that would help someone, you know, live.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Intruder posted:

Once again it's a race for second place after Ruth for $100K

Was the theatre play any good?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

those guys scored

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Red posted:

Was the theatre play any good?

The short answer is no

Everyone thinks the money funded No, No Nanette but that's actually based on a play My Lady Friends, which is what the Ruth money funded. My Lady Friends is entirely unremarkable except for having been made into a silent movie in 1921.

No, No Nanette wasn't all that successful either, at least on Broadway. It did find some success in Chicago and London, but from the perspective of "was making this worth losing Babe Ruth" the answer is an emphatic "hell no"

In 1971 a Broadway revival of No, No Nanette won several Tonys; as far as I can tell Irving Caesar, who wrote Tea for Two, was the only significant person from the original production who was still alive at that point. Irving Caesar also wrote the version of Just a Gigolo that Louis Prima made famous.

Looking this up turned out to teach me way more than I thought it would so I'm glad you asked

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

FlamingLiberal posted:

I still think it's the Miguel Cabrera trade, and it's not even close. You traded a generational player in his prime for a guy who was mostly used as a reliever, a 4th outfielder type, and a pile of scrap.

And both of Maybin and Miller didn't really do anything till both left Florida (Miller was atrocious as a starter). Hilariously, Maybin came back to Detroit for one season at the back end of his career and produced almost as much WAR as he did when he was with the Marlins.

The second contact he got from the Tigers has been an albatross, but Cabrera still put up almost 50 WAR for the team despite being below replacement level for the last 6 years.

A+++ deal, would trade again.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Julio Urias finishing above Nola is some voting

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Julio Urias finishing above Nola is some voting
It's not hard to figure out, a lot of voters agree with this post:

The Pussy Boss posted:

I think Alcantara and Verlander deserved to win, because IMO the most important stats for Cy Young are runs allowed and IP. Still, Rodon was so fuckin good this year though.

Urias: 2.16 ERA, 175 IP
Nola: 3.25 ERA, 205 IP

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Hell yeah to Alek Manoah.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
how it started:
https://twitter.com/SNY_Mets/status/1588275825505452033
how its goin:
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1593095309844164609

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

It rules that the Wilpons are still out here loving with the Mets.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I believe the New York ball clubs are only supposed to communicate via innuendo in NY Post headlines?

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1593060651819491329

Wait, they don't actually give you a Triple Crown do they

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 17, 2022

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
Here's my take on the Jays:

By trading away Hernandez they are lining up to sign Verlander.

The pitching rotation will be:

Manoah
Verlander
Gausman
Ryu
Berrios

which will be solid enough to actually win some playoff games (assuming that Ryu comes back healthy and is actually able to pitch).

They will then trade Kirk, Jansen, or Moreno for a team friendly outfielder to make up for trading Hernandez.

I genuinely think they will be going all in here before they have to start paying Vlad and Co. some serious money.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

lol they aren't signing Verlander

Also Ryu is dead and not pitching next year.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
They should absolutely not be trading Kirk from that trio, either.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Inspector_666 posted:

They should absolutely not be trading Kirk from that trio, either.

It's not the wildest idea. It's definitely a bit of a risk to commit to Moreno like that in the offseason, but if you're right combination of high on Moreno and low on Kirk's defence, and then the trade return for Kirk is right, there's definitely worlds where you can justify it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Cardinals are probably kicking the tires on Kirk, although I don't know what the asking price would be