Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

teethgrinder posted:

Hello again pen thread ... 15000 posts later...

Say money was no object, and you were shopping for a parting gift for a beloved executive that loves penmenship and was forced out of her company. Any crazy/pretty ideas?

I reached "my final pen" with the Lamy 2000 [not really, I still have eyes on a Realo] but I know nothing about the higher ends. $500 would be a reasonable price in this situation.

Pelikan M600, Aurora Optima, or the Platinum 3776 special editions (like the celluloid, kinshu, or Nice) would all fit this perfectly, I think. If you want something a little more conservative, Montegrappa introduced the Brenta recently which looks amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
seconding the platnium 3776 specials. these ones are really quite beautiful. https://www.jetpens.com/Platinum-3776-Century-Fountain-Pen-Urushi-Maki-e/ct/6350. And jetpens reminds me, anyone have experience with those visconti pens? some of those special editions that come through are intriguing. orders of magnitude beyond my budget though.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

SixteenShells posted:

And jetpens reminds me, anyone have experience with those visconti pens? some of those special editions that come through are intriguing. orders of magnitude beyond my budget though.

I have some (and this isn't even my full collection)

Visconti makes some of my all time favorite pen designs (the Opera, the Homo Sapens, and the Medici), it's just a shame that historically they haven't put the same level of care into their QC.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Ooh, I love the ones on the right. Stacked celluloid?

SixteenShells posted:

And jetpens reminds me, anyone have experience with those visconti pens? some of those special editions that come through are intriguing. orders of magnitude beyond my budget though.

I have a Visconti Medici that I absolutely love. Bought it as a present to myself for starting a new job (that I ended up leaving after 6 months, lol :v:)

Wonderful nib and the power filler works really well.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Chip McFuck posted:

Ooh, I love the ones on the right. Stacked celluloid?

They are indeed, I had a stacked celluloid phase and picked up as many as I could.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Doctor Dogballs posted:

I recommend getting a couple TWSBI GO's and experimenting with that at first. If it's relevant, I wouldn't put "waterproof" fountain pen inks into a pen that's worth any money. But if the whole of the artwork is inked lines and it won't be combined with other media or a wash, then use as nice of a pen as you feel like.

I have some fountain pens I've used for comic lettering and other line work that work great for it with ordinary fountain pen ink. On the other hand I've also tried several waterproof or resistant inks and I haven't liked any of them.

Deleter #4 dip pen ink is magical stuff. After it's dry you can watercolor over it to your heart's delight and it will not budge in the slightest. Cannot put it in a fountain pen though!!

Lastly yeah someone already said this but you do not need to wear gloves to fill your fountain pen.

Thank you for the advice!!

I recently snapped up a little set of no- name pens that were on sale local for really cheap (like 40% off) and now I'm like "Oh. Oh no."

These aren't expensive pens at all, but are quite a bit more responsive than a ball point pen. They're easy to write with, with less resistance than a ball point pen, and a bigger grip, so it's much easier on my fingers. I'm just kind of surprised at it being as enjoyable to write with as it is, not even being what most people would call a good set.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
As much as I love the Lamy Safaris, I wish replacement parts weren't almost as expensive as a whole pen. I have a black Safari I bought in 2010 and now a red safari I got in the mid teens where the inner liner of the cap gets worn out and doesn't seal. No click when I cap it so it falls off easily, no seal so it dries out quickly. At this point I might go screw cap only.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The EA ended up ignoring my advice and went with this one: https://laywines.com/collections/fountain-pens/products/graf-von-faber-castell-classic-sterling-silver-fountain-pen

Welp! Hope they don't lose it.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I seem to only have bad experiences with entry-level fountain pens. I've had a couple pilot metros and they always ran into this issue where they wouldn't draw ink from their cartridges, making it impossible to write. If I squeezed the cartridge to force ink through the feed, I could get a brief amount of ink flow before it dried up again. And Lamy Safaris have been very dry and inconsistent writers for me, even with a converter and Lamy ink. On the other hand, my Pilot Lucina and Namiki Falcon are perfect, and I adore them. They receive the same care as my entry pens, but they never have any issues. Is this just the difference between a budget item and a more luxury item? If my experience with the metro and safari pens is the norm, I'd have a hard time believing people would recommend them as often as they do.

Also, how do folks feel about the Pilot Decimo (the slimmer version of the Vanishing Point) in terms of weight? I have been eyeing the light blue one as a birthday gift for myself, but I am concerned that it might be too heavy for me. I get wrist pain easily, and I really prefer the weight of Pilot's resin body pens like the lucina and falcon.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Cephas posted:

I seem to only have bad experiences with entry-level fountain pens. I've had a couple pilot metros and they always ran into this issue where they wouldn't draw ink from their cartridges, making it impossible to write. If I squeezed the cartridge to force ink through the feed, I could get a brief amount of ink flow before it dried up again. And Lamy Safaris have been very dry and inconsistent writers for me, even with a converter and Lamy ink. On the other hand, my Pilot Lucina and Namiki Falcon are perfect, and I adore them. They receive the same care as my entry pens, but they never have any issues. Is this just the difference between a budget item and a more luxury item? If my experience with the metro and safari pens is the norm, I'd have a hard time believing people would recommend them as often as they do.

Also, how do folks feel about the Pilot Decimo (the slimmer version of the Vanishing Point) in terms of weight? I have been eyeing the light blue one as a birthday gift for myself, but I am concerned that it might be too heavy for me. I get wrist pain easily, and I really prefer the weight of Pilot's resin body pens like the lucina and falcon.

I use converters rather than cartridges, and test my pens weekly or so. My pilot metropolitans tend to work consistently well.

Cartridges certainly have uses but I imagine that if you don't write frequently, the pens tend to dry out when you want to use them. And when they dry out, you may want to clean the pens thoroughly before using them again.

But nicer pens seem to be able to go longer without drying out.

sb hermit fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 17, 2022

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Lamy Safaris have quite a reputation in this thread for having inconsistent quality, and the behavior doesn't improve with a converter.

In my experience, lamy safaris have worked quite well for me.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
I mean I did get hours of daily use out of my Safaris for years with no issues until the cap seal gave out. Forty bucks for a sturdy daily driver that lasts that long is a drat good deal IMO. I have no complaints about actually using my Safari, it's just the end of life is a little awkward

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Pelikan Hub tomorrow! I need to clean a bunch of pens and pack some ink to take with me. :sun:

Only a two hour drive up a mountain in winter to get there. Nothing can go wrong.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

SixteenShells posted:

I mean I did get hours of daily use out of my Safaris for years with no issues until the cap seal gave out. Forty bucks for a sturdy daily driver that lasts that long is a drat good deal IMO. I have no complaints about actually using my Safari, it's just the end of life is a little awkward

The only pen I’ve ever had DOA is a safari white/red special edition. Something in the feed leaks and it doesn’t fill or write properly. I’ve bought at least twenty pens and honestly with all the noise Lamy makes about automation and QC, I’m surprised it’s the one

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
I had a run of several Safaris all with nibs that were misaligned out of the box. Even their higher end pens like the 2000 don't have nibs to my liking. The 2000 in particular has a very small sweet spot.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

My replacement 2000 ... which was $90 on ebay, had some strange leak when trying to write, and it was very frustrating. Their support wasn't particularly helpful.

I decided to give it another shot like half a year later and it was suddenly magically perfect, and has behaved great as my daily writer for eight years since.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Muir posted:

I had a run of several Safaris all with nibs that were misaligned out of the box. Even their higher end pens like the 2000 don't have nibs to my liking. The 2000 in particular has a very small sweet spot.

Thanks for saying this. I love my 2000 and it’ll be my daily until one of us dies but I’m glad to know “it’s not just me” with the sweet spot.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Same Great Paste posted:

Thanks for saying this. I love my 2000 and it’ll be my daily until one of us dies but I’m glad to know “it’s not just me” with the sweet spot.

Definitely not just you. I love the look and feel of the 2000, so after selling my two different attempts at getting one with a nib I liked, I bought one of the 4 color ballpoint versions.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Same Great Paste posted:

"Small sweet spot" is actually a pretty common complaint with the 2000.

Also apparently the Pelikan hub gifts this year suck.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

grack posted:

Also apparently the Pelikan hub gifts this year suck.

I don't know what they are yet, but the hubmaster described them as "underwhelming."

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Pixelante posted:

I don't know what they are yet, but the hubmaster described them as "underwhelming."

A pad of paper and a magazine.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Pixelante posted:

Pelikan Hub tomorrow! I need to clean a bunch of pens and pack some ink to take with me. :sun:

Only a two hour drive up a mountain in winter to get there. Nothing can go wrong.

:ohdearsass:

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

In the event anyone tried out the Ferris Wheel Press Carousel pen and found it less robust than anticipated, they are trying a thing:

Ferris Wheel Press posted:

Hello!

We are reaching out today because you were an early supporter of our Carousel and Roundabout Pens that launched in Fall 2021. We understand that you experienced some quality issues with the body of your pen, and we have taken your feedback to heart.

A year in the making, we are excited to announce a new and improved version! The body of the pen now uses an upgraded material formulation that is twice as strong, paired with a revised thread design to create an instrument that will not be outlasted by your creativity!

As a token of our appreciation, we want you to be the first to experience our newest writing instrument. We will be shipping out the improved Carousel Fountain Pen in a brand new black, Nevermore Noir, fine nib, at no charge.

If you would like to receive our latest creation, please reply to this email by December 31st, 2022, and confirm your current mailing address. We will dispatch your new pen as soon as it's ready.
**By accepting, you may be responsible for duties and/or taxes as per your
country's governmental regulations, which are unfortunately beyond
Ferris Wheel Press' control.**

If you love the new Carousel as much as we think you will, please share the news on social media and help us inspire a new generation of stationery lovers.

Sincerely, Team Ferris Wheel Press

The Carousel I got as a surprise for my girlfriend ended up getting a crack in the barrel and they replaced it almost immediately when I wrote to them, and I assume that's how I ended up on the distribution list for this e-mail.

I found that mine works much better with non-glittery ink, which is a bit of a shame because FWP has some gorgeous sparkly inks and it would be nice if their own pen could handle their own inks (regular ink is just fine though, I've got Diamine Earl Grey in there right now and it's great). Admittedly I went for the fine nib and fine nibs can sometimes be picky with glittery ink.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

grack posted:

Yeah, about what I expected. Oh well. It'll still be nice to hang out with other pen nerds. My city doesn't have a pen club, afaik.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

grack posted:

Very glad I decided not to go.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

My hub was about 15 people crammed in a tiny stationery shop. I hung out for about two hours, letting people try out some of the inks I brought and chatting. Made some new friends. I wouldn't say it was worth the two hour drive, but the rest of the trip was, so I think it was worthwhile. The pad of paper is quite nice and the magazine is beautiful.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

About 45 people showed up to the hub I went to. The hub master was able to get some donations of ink, pens and books from local stationery shops, so about half of the attendees got something. I picked up a bottle of Robert Oster ink.

It was also in an Irish pub so half the attendees were good and tipsy by the end. Fun night.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Tried out some new inks: Robert Oster's Green Green is indeed the most vibrant green I have ever seen. It's crazy bright. I'm not sure if I can actually make use of it but I kind of love it.

Meanwhile, Monteverde's Sapphire Blue is definitely the wettest ink I've ever seen. It bleeds and feathers to an insane degree, on Tomoe River paper and cheap copy paper alike. It's a nice color but I don't know that it's possible for me to use it unless I've done something wrong that's causing it to behave so weirdly.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
I’m amazed by the sheen on yama budo. What other inks have great sheen? Much more impressive than glitter imo

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Rand Brittain posted:

Tried out some new inks: Robert Oster's Green Green is indeed the most vibrant green I have ever seen. It's crazy bright. I'm not sure if I can actually make use of it but I kind of love it.

...what, like it's the Bay State Blue of green or something?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

...what, like it's the Bay State Blue of green or something?

only if it gets everywhere and doesn't come out

except with alcohol

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

teraflame posted:

I’m amazed by the sheen on yama budo. What other inks have great sheen? Much more impressive than glitter imo

Friend, have you heard the good word of Organics Studio?

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

howe_sam posted:

Friend, have you heard the good word of Organics Studio?

Once it touches you, you shall never be untouched by it.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

How is their other stuff? My nitrogen dries pretty quick actually, I'd consider picking up a red

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

teraflame posted:

For me it was just a flatter red, are you using a very broad wet pen?

Rand Brittain posted:

on Tomoe River paper and cheap copy paper alike.
This weekend I was going through my notebooks and sketchbooks to clean out my shelves of impulse purchases that I'll likely never use, someone convinced me to donate art supplies to juvenile inmates for some project they were doing. I came across the three notebook / journals I have made by Galen Leather, I have two of these and one of this, 52gsm tomoe river paper, 400 blank pages in a book, mine have the old paper not sure about the linked ones.
Lets say I was skeptical, very very skeptical, I like thick paper as it does not shine through and when it is FP friendly doesn't bleed. Well, TR does not shine through and does not bleed, all this at 52gsm so a normal A5 notebook can hold 400 pages. In fact, the ink sits on the page so nice it will shade beautifully.
Not yet a convert tho, I am curious how the light pages will hold up over time, they feel flimsy and I am not sure I'll manage to use the pages two sided with a soft cover notebook.
I can see why someone would pay a 100 for a really nice notebook with this paper tho, I am super close to gifting myself one of those handmade Japanese books.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

sb hermit posted:

only if it gets everywhere and doesn't come out

except with alcohol

We just, but we only put up with it because of that intense blue. If there is a green like that without the worry then I'd try it even if I am not normally a green kind of guy. It also makes me wonder if they have a "blue blue."

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

We just, but we only put up with it because of that intense blue. If there is a green like that without the worry then I'd try it even if I am not normally a green kind of guy. It also makes me wonder if they have a "blue blue."

I admit. Baystate Blue is an incredibly striking color.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I just a bunch of pens and none of them are Deltas

Feeling a little weak, a little faint. Eyesight is going blurry

Am I going to die?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

grack posted:

I just a bunch of pens and none of them are Deltas

Feeling a little weak, a little faint. Eyesight is going blurry

Am I going to die?

Don't be silly. Of course you're going to die

Adbot