Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

gschmidl posted:

You might be able to get it reversed.

So as long as they are in bankruptcy, they are not obliged to handle the order at all. I'll see if they restart / continue under new ownership and if they can honor the order. Getting money back from a curator is near impossible and I will not waste time on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Keetron posted:

So as long as they are in bankruptcy, they are not obliged to handle the order at all. I'll see if they restart / continue under new ownership and if they can honor the order. Getting money back from a curator is near impossible and I will not waste time on that.

Oh, I meant reversing the transaction via the bank, but maybe not.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

only within a few days I'd say.

loving fat piston pen first world problem:

Solution (even tho it is not shin-kai):

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I bought another Delta because Deltas are cool

Unfortunately it's getting sent through Italian Post so it should be here sometime next summer

NuclearEagleFox!!!
Oct 7, 2011
What's a good ink for (US) voting ballots? I tried Quink Blue and it bled through to the other side and I'll probably have to get a replacement ballot.

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011

NuclearEagleFox!!! posted:

What's a good ink for (US) voting ballots? I tried Quink Blue and it bled through to the other side and I'll probably have to get a replacement ballot.

Just use a ballpoint for something like that.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Abyss posted:

Just use a ballpoint for something like that.

Fountain Pens: Just use a ballpoint for something like that.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I used my 823 Waverly inked with Noodler's Black Eel on my ballot and it didn't appreciably bleed through the paper. There was a little show through, but no worse than the sharpies my polling place uses.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I just used noodler's heart of darkness with a pilot VP with ... what I think is a fine nib.

If you use a fine nib, it should be good enough. A pen that just dumps ink everywhere is probably unacceptable.

(I mailed my ballot early and checked it online and it was accepted)

NuclearEagleFox!!!
Oct 7, 2011
I used a pilot metro with an M nib, which I've heard is on the finer side. I'll have to get an f or ef to really test it. Right now the metro is my only pen, so I'd have to shop around (and preferrably for something LH friendly).

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Should I buy a Capless Raden Water Surface? I normally like decimos but this one I've been eyeing for years, its just so pretty.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

teraflame posted:

Should I buy a Capless Raden Water Surface? I normally like decimos but this one I've been eyeing for years, its just so pretty.

I got some surprise money recently and finally caved and got the Vanishing Point (seems like Capless is the UK name for it?) Raden Stripe, but I was really torn between it and the Water Surface. The abalone inlay is beautiful. I'm betting the guts of the pen are probably exactly the same as the Decimos, so it's probably the same experience in all aspects except aesthetics. But wow, the abalone is hypnotizingly pretty.

E: Did a little more research and apparently the Decimos are a smidge smaller than the regular Vanishing Points, so that is a difference. (And Capless is also the Japanese name for some but not all of the pens? Still a little unsure on how that matches up to the US naming conventions exactly.)

DurianGray fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 6, 2022

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I used a pilot metro with an M nib, which I've heard is on the finer side. I'll have to get an f or ef to really test it. Right now the metro is my only pen, so I'd have to shop around (and preferrably for something LH friendly).

a Pilot Kakuno in EF is a great little pen that's cheap and writes smooth for such a small nib

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

teraflame posted:

In this thread the answer to "should I buy?" is always yes.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

DurianGray posted:

I got some surprise money recently and finally caved and got the Vanishing Point (seems like Capless is the UK name for it?) Raden Stripe, but I was really torn between it and the Water Surface. The abalone inlay is beautiful. I'm betting the guts of the pen are probably exactly the same as the Decimos, so it's probably the same experience in all aspects except aesthetics. But wow, the abalone is hypnotizingly pretty.

E: Did a little more research and apparently the Decimos are a smidge smaller than the regular Vanishing Points, so that is a difference. (And Capless is also the Japanese name for some but not all of the pens? Still a little unsure on how that matches up to the US naming conventions exactly.)

Capless and Vanishing Points are the same pens. "Capless" is the Japanese and international market name, Vanishing Point is just the name used for the US market. Not sure why, as apparently retailers in the US use the Capless name internally when ordering from Pilot.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Pretty sure decimos are twist instead of push/knock/click, as well.

Also vanishing point is just a cooler name.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

DicktheCat posted:

I check on this thread every so often, because I'm fascinated by the pens.

That said, I've no interest in calligraphy proper. I'm an artist, and my interest is in inking my work. I've used a variety of methods, but haven't tried a fountain pen.

Are there any this thread can recommend?

Also, for the colored inks, it's good practice to handle them like highly pigmented paints and wear gloves, right? It's still astoundingly easy to poison yourself with art supplies, even though we dropped lead from paint long ago. I'm probably going to die from using too much cadmium red or something one day.

I apologize if I've asked before, I checked a few pages back to make sure I didn't.

I recommend getting a couple TWSBI GO's and experimenting with that at first. If it's relevant, I wouldn't put "waterproof" fountain pen inks into a pen that's worth any money. But if the whole of the artwork is inked lines and it won't be combined with other media or a wash, then use as nice of a pen as you feel like.

I have some fountain pens I've used for comic lettering and other line work that work great for it with ordinary fountain pen ink. On the other hand I've also tried several waterproof or resistant inks and I haven't liked any of them.

Deleter #4 dip pen ink is magical stuff. After it's dry you can watercolor over it to your heart's delight and it will not budge in the slightest. Cannot put it in a fountain pen though!!

Lastly yeah someone already said this but you do not need to wear gloves to fill your fountain pen.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Doctor Dogballs posted:

I recommend getting a couple TWSBI GO's and experimenting with that at first. If it's relevant, I wouldn't put "waterproof" fountain pen inks into a pen that's worth any money. But if the whole of the artwork is inked lines and it won't be combined with other media or a wash, then use as nice of a pen as you feel like.

do you mean stuff like platinum carbon black that are pigment based?

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

Zenostein posted:

Pretty sure decimos are twist instead of push/knock/click, as well.

Also vanishing point is just a cooler name.

No you’re thinking of fermo. Decimo is just a thinner and lighter VP.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Doctor Dogballs posted:

Lastly yeah someone already said this but you do not need to wear gloves to fill your fountain pen.

:same:, but as a reminder, we also have heretics in this thread

Heath posted:

I wear gloves :smug:

just to keep the ink from staining their fingers

grack
Jan 10, 2012

howe_sam posted:

In this thread the answer to "should I buy?" is always yes.

So what you're saying is that I should sell my neighbor's kidney and buy a Dolce Vita Oversize?

grack fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 6, 2022

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Chromatics posted:

do you mean stuff like platinum carbon black that are pigment based?

Yes, these as well as oily inks like X-Feather and Sketchink. I think sketchink is the both pretty pen safe and water resistant but I still don't put it in any pen worth real money.

e: oh and never use x-feather for anything.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

grack posted:

So what you're saying is that I should sell my neighbor's kidney and buy a Dolce Vita Oversize?

wow I think I need one of these now.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Doctor Dogballs posted:

wow I think I need one of these now.

Keep an eye on catawiki, I saw one go for €170

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Welp, my cat jumped onto the sink and knocked my Lamy 2000 and Pilot 823 to the floor as I was cleaning them. :argh:

Now to find a nibmeister I can send them off too for repairs...

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
Oh no, that's a worse case scenario! Hope you're able to get them repaired.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Chip McFuck posted:

Welp, my cat jumped onto the sink and knocked my Lamy 2000 and Pilot 823 to the floor as I was cleaning them. :argh:

Now to find a nibmeister I can send them off too for repairs...

Ah yes cats, the natural predator of the fountain pen

Both are fixable.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cultpens.com has a sale running today through the 11th, 10% off a lot of stuff. For pens significantly cheaper than in the US, it makes a lot of things really cheap. A lamy 2000 would be $130 with the sale. Diamine ink is really cheap there as well. It’s in the UK, but with free shipping to the US on orders over $135.

Has anyone heard anything bad about them?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

I AM GRANDO posted:

Cultpens.com has a sale running today through the 11th, 10% off a lot of stuff. For pens significantly cheaper than in the US, it makes a lot of things really cheap. A lamy 2000 would be $130 with the sale. Diamine ink is really cheap there as well. It’s in the UK, but with free shipping to the US on orders over $135.

From my time in the r/fountainpens subreddit I have a good impression of CultPens, but I've never ordered from them personally.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Anyone else going to the Pelikan Hub meetups on the 18th? My local one has been a bit of a clusterfuck with the hubmaster only contacting his own pen club instead of everyone on the Pelikan list. I called him out on it on his pen club FB page and suddenly (!) the proper list manifested. I also talked to Pelikan directly and they were like, "yeah, we gave him that list on September 1st."

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I'm going. There's going to be ~50 people for my local meet.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

grack posted:

I'm going. There's going to be ~50 people for my local meet.

Looks like half that many for me. Weirdly I have to drive two hours over to a much smaller city because we couldn't muster 7 sign-ups in a provincial capital. Planning to bring some of my fun inks, a bunch of sample vials, and some syringes so I can share/swap. Also going to bring some empty pens and nice paper hoping others do the same.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

I AM GRANDO posted:

CultPens are great, every order has arrived fast, and they include a small something extra, whether it be a clip or a small bag of Haribo or whatever.

Also their exclusive Diamine inks are gorgeous, especially Little Hels and Little Herbie

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I am in incredible pain every time I see Cultpens Dominant Industry exclusives because I want to buy all of them right now aaaaa

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I've bought several pens from CultPens. Their Pelikan prices are particularly attractive, especially when the pound is low against the dollar. Highly recommend them.

Just bought a Lamy 2000 for a colleague in Scotland. He got the pen the next day.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Hello again pen thread ... 15000 posts later...

Say money was no object, and you were shopping for a parting gift for a beloved executive that loves penmenship and was forced out of her company. Any crazy/pretty ideas?

I reached "my final pen" with the Lamy 2000 [not really, I still have eyes on a Realo] but I know nothing about the higher ends. $500 would be a reasonable price in this situation.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

teethgrinder posted:

Say money was no object, and you were shopping for a parting gift for a beloved executive that loves penmenship and was forced out of her company. Any crazy/pretty ideas?

I reached "my final pen" with the Lamy 2000 [not really, I still have eyes on a Realo] but I know nothing about the higher ends. $500 would be a reasonable price in this situation.

A Pilot Vanishing Point (or Capless LS) of your choice.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Thank you, I'm glad I asked. I was browsing and found some good stuff from Sailor, but that's a great fit/look at the $800 range.

I am eying 1911Ls, a Realo as well. And perhaps the aluminum Lamy 2000, but it might be too heavy? I really love the piston filler though, but that's a "me" thing I think, judging from how uncommon they seem to be.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Pilot 823 or Pilot 845 Urushi (the latter retails for $850 in the US but like most high end Pilot stuff it’s trivial to buy direct from Japan on eBay for $400)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

teethgrinder posted:

How flamboyant are we taking about here? Leonardo makes a bunch of nice pens around that price point.