Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Is there ever a reason to do a Dominion play over a Puppet play? They're the same infamy, one is just more income from your vassal and they'll aid you in war. Seems strictly better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The target is probably more likely to back down on a dominion play.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Is there ever a reason to do a Dominion play over a Puppet play? They're the same infamy, one is just more income from your vassal and they'll aid you in war. Seems strictly better.

Yeah the various versions of puppet seem to be too minute in their differences to choose one beyond what gives you the most tribute.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Having them assist you in war isn't always preferable. Their troops probably aren't going to be as good as yours since they're AI, and if they get chosen to lead a battle on a front you're trying to contest, they might lose it. They can sometimes be a good distraction, though.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Pakled posted:

Having them assist you in war isn't always preferable. Their troops probably aren't going to be as good as yours since they're AI, and if they get chosen to lead a battle on a front you're trying to contest, they might lose it. They can sometimes be a good distraction, though.

Yeah, I've run into this as Britain when a trivial revolt in India takes forever to put down because the EIC's crap troops are crowding out my space marines.

Finally got Caretaker now that the game isn't chugging past 1890. The slowdown improvements are really nice, hopefully Paradox gets the other big bugs/issues sooner rather than later.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Pakled posted:

On the other hand, you can annex puppets (and if you make a country a vassal while you're unrecognized, they become a puppet when you get recognition), so it's a great way to eat multi-state countries in two wars

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Now that I learned, that I can use mods and still get achievements (thanks guys!), I found some really good ones.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2883323135
Is a UI mod that expands the state buildings UI and adds buttons for auto expansion and subsidies to the main screen.
Very useful if you're doing a lot of conquering. Sadly I've not found one that manages to add mini buttons for production methods.

At this point I kinda wish you could assign factories to manual groups and change production methods for all buildings in a group. With logging camps for example, I want some but not all to produce hardwood.

Maybe we should curate a list of useful mods for the OP?

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Dirk the Average posted:

On the other hand, you can annex puppets (and if you make a country a vassal while you're unrecognized, they become a puppet when you get recognition), so it's a great way to eat multi-state countries in two wars

You can annex any subject, if your relations are low enough. Technically you can even annex protectorates (lol)

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

scaterry posted:

You can annex any subject, if your relations are low enough. Technically you can even annex protectorates (lol)

I've found that protectorates can't be annexed, just upgraded to a puppet. Once they're a puppet (and the truce runs out), you can start another play to annex.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

I've found that protectorates can't be annexed, just upgraded to a puppet. Once they're a puppet (and the truce runs out), you can start another play to annex.

Wait really, it requires yet another step? Diplomacy seems egregiously underpowered then, wow.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

scaterry posted:

Wait really, it requires yet another step? Diplomacy seems egregiously underpowered then, wow.

it does, but as long as you're hovering around 50 relations with france and britain they won't bother to get involved and do you really care if anybody else does? making a tag that would cost like, 10+ infamy to puppet directly into a protectorate for a flat 3.5 infamy, then into a puppet for like 1 infamy is a big deal in terms of staying inside your infamy budget

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
There should be a diplomatic boost if you help an uprising. I just helped you throw off the yoke of your oppressors and now you're wary of me?

I don't know if it's a bug, but I didn't realize until I was in it that if I turn on a subsidy in a command economy, I can never turn it off. Are they ALL supposed to automatically be subsidized, or is this on purpose?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I accidentally started up a trade route and now I'm in a beaurocracy deficit how do I cancel it.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I accidentally started up a trade route and now I'm in a beaurocracy deficit how do I cancel it.

go to the trade routes list in the market tab, find the good youre trading, then click on it. It'll give you a list of trade routes. The one you started should have a little x next to it that lets you cancel

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Cpt_Obvious posted:

From memory you go to the markets screen then the trade routes tab, you should be able to find the trade route in there

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Glass of Milk posted:

I don't know if it's a bug, but I didn't realize until I was in it that if I turn on a subsidy in a command economy, I can never turn it off. Are they ALL supposed to automatically be subsidized, or is this on purpose?

To be honest, I think the bug is that you have to turn it on to begin with - if you look over the tooltip for Command Economy, you'll notice that it says "Subsidies Mandated: Yes." Everything SHOULD be automatically subsidized without the option to turn it off, and if anything's buggy it's the fact that not everything automatically gets subsidized.

Whether that's a good design decision or not is a separate issue, but yeah, working as intended.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Is there any chance that while your market balance for a basic material like Iron or Coal is -500 (mostly due to trade routes) that your market will prioritize buying these items over exporting them if you actually plan to use them?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Kraftwerk posted:

Is there any chance that while your market balance for a basic material like Iron or Coal is -500 (mostly due to trade routes) that your market will prioritize buying these items over exporting them if you actually plan to use them?

I think that the amount transported is determined by how profitable the goods you sell are in the exported market. So either prices for them in your market increase enough that the exports are no longer profitable or you export enough that the demand is satisfied and selling in your own market becomes more profitable.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/victoria-3-dev-diary-66-patch-1-1-part-2.1557863/

That's a lot more oil!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

id like to see the ai fixes but that's cool too

be nice to tell the states in my market to stop with the agriculture and build those drat mines

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
sort of confusing to see them wondering if the rubber changes are enough, it’s literally just arithmetic to figure out how much rubber it’d make available etc

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Waifu Radia posted:

sort of confusing to see them wondering if the rubber changes are enough, it’s literally just arithmetic to figure out how much rubber it’d make available etc

it's because without the AI actually developing rubber it's impossible to know whether the current supply is sufficient or not. i guess it might be the case that they've had that fixed in a test build since the day after launch or something and they're working on known numbers instead of guesses, but idk seems weird to discuss resource distribution in a dev diary as an isolated topic with things being the way they are in the live build

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Jazerus posted:

it's because without the AI actually developing rubber it's impossible to know whether the current supply is sufficient or not. i guess it might be the case that they've had that fixed in a test build since the day after launch or something and they're working on known numbers instead of guesses, but idk seems weird to discuss resource distribution in a dev diary as an isolated topic with things being the way they are in the live build

lmao drat you’re right and I hate it

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

also sorry you have a star now. Goondolences

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Waifu Radia posted:

the demand is the question mark tbh

they also said further down in the replies that they're planning to fix the AI to get it to actually exploit resources but no real detail other than that

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
I like how one of the proposed oil fixes is buffing whaling stations. Sure, why not. Whale oil powered engines. Victoria 3 takes place in the Dishonored universe. gently caress it.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

we are all blades in the dark on this blessed day

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

ItohRespectArmy posted:

we are all blades in the dark on this blessed day

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Tomn posted:

To be honest this is something that bugs me a little bit about the game - in most countries your leaders will be wearing the exact same style of dress in 1936 as they did in 1836.

Tiny clothing thing that bugs me unduly is that they actually made a specific hanbok outfit with wealth variations and everything for Koreans but have most of them wearing Chinese dress anyway, I guess since they get umbrella’d under the East Asian clothing tag. Mixed dress is helpful for some regions for variation, but Koreans pretty much uniformly wore hanbok.

It’s a tiny change but I feel like it’s gonna completely fall off the radar unless I’m a bit noisy about it.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
The funny thing about synthetic rubber, if it ever gets added, is that it should require shitloads of oil and sulfur. It is nice to see that they've added small deposits here and there for more oil because the historic oil fields were very tiny in this time period and limited to about six places on Earth if you're talking about an amount for an industrial economy and modern navy. I like the changes so far.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Jazerus posted:

I feel like you should be able to ballpark a number fairly easily, to be honest. Laying out arbitrary points of SoL was necessary to begin with, since it's of course an arbitrary measure; rubber demand = how far the AIs are falling short in clothing + radios from expected (or how much the algorithm needed to be juiced to produce planned amounts) + the amount needed to produce the same GC target with fewer buildings + expected radio demand from regulars.

Oil's messier, as it's also a way to make electricity more BC-efficient.

Related to this, I'd really like a way to be able to tweak barracks/conscription center PMs in individual generals' panes (or ideally, to have an HQ layer in the popup on the right and put this there, and ideally from that, be able to define or at least influence HQs.) Especially if you're playing China, or someone expected to eat big parts of China, you end up with a long list of state names that are still all in the same language and it's a lot of work to go through and go "well I'm chill with Dai Nam and don't want to gently caress with the EIC's daddy, those guys can stay skirmish if not irregular, but I really want the borderlands with Russia to have new kit."

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Koramei posted:

Tiny clothing thing that bugs me unduly is that they actually made a specific hanbok outfit with wealth variations and everything for Koreans but have most of them wearing Chinese dress anyway, I guess since they get umbrella’d under the East Asian clothing tag. Mixed dress is helpful for some regions for variation, but Koreans pretty much uniformly wore hanbok.

It’s a tiny change but I feel like it’s gonna completely fall off the radar unless I’m a bit noisy about it.

Despite that, China, Korea and Japan are probably the most lavished cultures in terms of pop clothing. All of Europe and the former colonies dress the same way, as does all of subsaharan Africa. There is one clothing tag for all of India and SEA, which is most noticeably crazy when you play Vietnam

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah I for sure wasn’t expecting unique clothing for Korea (2 in fact, their king gets a special outfit too), but it’s upsetting that we have it and then also don’t actually get to see it properly.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
IG approval overflow is still somehow a thing. How did that not get fixed at the first pass?

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

IG approval overflow is still somehow a thing. How did that not get fixed at the first pass?

Considering how long it took to get those fixed in Stellaris, I'm not even expecting them to get around to it before the first expansion is out.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
We'll be out of Early Access with patch 1.2.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Finished my first game as Persia last night. Got to #1 in the late 1920s with over 12K prestige. Took over states to the east, Iraq, Arabia, and Cairo, but didn't push as hard as I could have with the Ottomans. Looking at some YT play, I guess I can deal with more AE. Colonized Borneo and a little bit of Ethiopia/Somalia. Completely controlled the world oil economy, most of the rubber. Hell, was #1 producer of most goods. Did a reverse Iran-Iraq War and used chemical weapons on the world. Got involved in every French-related war near endgame to constantly whittle away at their economy.

Some funny/frustrating issues:
- A law event where you're supposed to lose 10% taxation for two years and it's like 100% depending on your tax law.
- Naval invasion is OP, make sure there's less battalions than ships
- A few wars/rebellions that never end. Had to swap countries just to end one I was involved in where war score didn't tick down.
- Ottomans kept involving themselves in my wars one after another, only to be repeatedly wiped out. Definitely needs a tweak to AI joining wars they will absolutely lose
- In general, big trading partners kept trying to fight me in small conflicts only to lose their major source of X import - weighting there should probably change a bit. Also, right after the war we're back to being friends even if I used chemical weapons on their troops. So very forgiving.
- Ended the game as a shahdom ran by communists.

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 18, 2022

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Anyone know why my Market Access is at exactly 96% across my empire? It's more varied in my home islands for some reasons but overseas it's all 96%. Building ports doesn't seem to do anything.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

you got convoy raided during a war and your overseas market access didn't reset. try reloading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Jazerus posted:

you got convoy raided during a war and your overseas market access didn't reset. try reloading

I did get convoy raided during a war, and I thought that might be the issue so I already reloaded the game. Unfortunately that did not help.

I know other people have reported bugs of getting convoy raided during peace time but I haven't gotten any notifications about any convoy raids after the war finished.