Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Evil Trout
Nov 16, 2004

The evilest trout of them all
Looks like something is happening:

https://twitter.com/CityCynthia/status/1592882664092340226

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm guessing Ford either said he wasn't going to repeal the bill or they're refusing to come back to the negotiating table.

Looks like Strike's back on the menu!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Randalor posted:

I'm guessing Ford either said he wasn't going to repeal the bill or they're refusing to come back to the negotiating table.

Looks like Strike's back on the menu!

Bill 28 was repealed by Bill 35, it's a done deal. So this is back to regular strike territory.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

infernal machines posted:

Bill 28 was repealed by Bill 35, it's a done deal. So this is back to regular strike territory.

That's good to hear, I missed the news that Bill 28 had been repealed and thought that the conservatives were deliberately dragging their heels.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/westernstd/status/1592869323470962695?s=46&t=-AEbKhfexDOS4W3FIf4SKQ

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

NGL, it took me a moment to realize that was a parody.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Holy poo poo - got me too. :lol:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Please don't give her any ideas, Pitchbot!

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
It got me for a solid 5 seconds before I double-checked the name behind it.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
Wait, why are they talking about striking again? I thought they already won???

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

ZShakespeare posted:

Wait, why are they talking about striking again? I thought they already won???

They won in that their constitutional rights weren't stripped away from them. and they were allowed to continue the normal collective bargaining process. A very important victory.

That bargaining has failed, because the government is being intransigent. So now they're exercising their legal right to strike as part of the bargaining process.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Quite literally, this is what they won.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

This will probably be the 5 days notice of strike action.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah it was the five-day notice, good for them. The Tories upped their offer to a staggering 3.59% wage increase and nothing else.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

Yeah it was the five-day notice, good for them. The Tories upped their offer to a staggering 3.59% wage increase and nothing else.

And to be clear, the new strike is coming not because of wages but because the tories won't agree to staffing schools with necessary amounts of early childhood educators (for kindergarden), libraries, educational assistants, etc. Dougie's gonna look horrible again, and for good reasons, again.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
Regardless of any earlier pessimism on my part, good on them and I hope they wring every single concession they are asking for out of the provincial government. The union members do incredibly difficult jobs for too little pay and not enough staff. Solidarity.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

DaysBefore posted:

What's inflation pegged to currently... ? Looks like annual is averaging out to 7%, so yay to having to fight just for maintaining a basic standard of living.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

teethgrinder posted:

What's inflation pegged to currently... ? Looks like annual is averaging out to 7%, so yay to having to fight just for maintaining a basic standard of living.

A report came out today saying that min wage required to get by on the absolute basics in Simcoe County is just shy of $21/hr.

Dougie froze min wage at $15.50.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Is there any jurisdiction (in Canada/US anyway) where the minimum wage is actually a real living wage?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I meam yeah if you're in skme farm town or dying fishing village minimum wage will (probably) keep you going. But even Halifax's living wage is estimated around $23 so good luck in any of the real cities

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

teethgrinder posted:

Yeah I want to be clear, the offer of such an inhumanly low wage as a bargaining chip is a combination of learned behaviour and failures of the union.

In no reasonable society should a government be intentionally offering something so staggeringly below a basic livable wage, nevermind a good wage. In a similar, situation the Unions should coordinate a massive strike to get what they want, but the government has legislated against that over the decades since the 80s.

It's very reasonable to view Ford's gambit a few weeks ago as a potential tipping point for that same pattern - if the union had backed down it'd be the end of them, but it wouldn't have been anything new from the government as far as approaching them goes.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

This phrasing about shutting down classrooms is so funny.

I mean, expected of course, but you might as well put out a statement saying that CUPE has voted to become ultra-hitler.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

The highest minimum wage in the country is Nunavut’s 16$/hr, no way is that livable anywhere in the north. Yukon is next at 15.70$ (same problem), then BC’s 15.65$ which could maybe be enough to get by in the middle of nowhere? But I think you’d have to look at truly small towns for that.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

DaysBefore posted:

I meam yeah if you're in skme farm town or dying fishing village minimum wage will (probably) keep you going. But even Halifax's living wage is estimated around $23 so good luck in any of the real cities

I lived in one of those dying fishing villages, and there wasn't enough work even at minimum wage for over half the town. And this was one that had some actual tourism & hospitality jobs after the mill died too

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
First off, I am for increasing the minimum wage. Peg it to inflation or something.

I live in North Vancouver, and the way I do my monthly budget is set it to what a person making minimum wage working 40 hours a week would make. I take that and keep my expenses under it. This includes literally every expense in my life, including car maintenance, insurance, etc etc. I don't have kids, and I have a roommate. Without a roommate, and with kids, I could see it being impossible, but as a single person it's quite easy. Now, you definitely can't really save any money, but I regularly spend ~$500/month eating out (this might seem like a lot or a little, depending who you are). My point is there is some slack in my budget if I really wanted to tighten things up.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Tsyni posted:

First off, I am for increasing the minimum wage. Peg it to inflation or something.

I live in North Vancouver, and the way I do my monthly budget is set it to what a person making minimum wage working 40 hours a week would make. I take that and keep my expenses under it. This includes literally every expense in my life, including car maintenance, insurance, etc etc. I don't have kids, and I have a roommate. Without a roommate, and with kids, I could see it being impossible, but as a single person it's quite easy. Now, you definitely can't really save any money, but I regularly spend ~$500/month eating out (this might seem like a lot or a little, depending who you are). My point is there is some slack in my budget if I really wanted to tighten things up.

This is cool and good and if you can find a living situation that you like that allows you the spending money to order takeout when you can't be assed to cook, that is awesome (I also fully admit to being in this situation as a single dude alone in a 2bdr).

But like, there are tremendous amounts of people trying the same thing (living on what a person making minimum wage working 40 hours a week would make) and getting buried, because they have kids or can't have roommates or have any other innumerable clauses to the situation that make it untenable.

That's who the fight is for.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Also, friendly* reminder that for all the talk there is about people who work 40/hrs a week at minimum wage, we consistently ignore that a big chunk - if not, very likely, the extreme majority - of minimum wage jobs expect you to work part-time (so they don't have to give you the benefits of a full-time employee), while also expecting you to be available at almost all times so that they don't have to pay someone to do complex scheduling. Most minimum wage jobs I've worked describe their positions as 20 hours a week, and depending on where you are and what you're doing, it's rarely guaranteed that you'll work more than 10.

And a lot of those places will get angry if you tell them you can't work a shift because you're already scheduled at your second/third job at that time.

*(read: pissed off, condescending)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Honestly, unreliable/inconsistent schedules might actually be the worse then the minimum wage. (Or, you'd need to pay me a lot of money to put up with that short of random, always-on call sort of scheduling)

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I’m reminded of the Chris Rock bit where he said that working at a minimum wage job means that your employer wants to pay you less but is legally forbidden to.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

I worked a job once that legitimately gave me full time work (great) but paid like 5c more than minimum wage, and that last part they went out of their way to emphasize like they were very proud of it?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kaom posted:

I worked a job once that legitimately gave me full time work (great) but paid like 5c more than minimum wage, and that last part they went out of their way to emphasize like they were very proud of it?

grovel, lesser being, for the scraps from the table of your owners

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

I second the scheduling point. Bad scheduling has such a terrible impact on your ability to live a fruitful life, get benefits, see your family, get an education and put together those hours of a 40hr minimum wage week.

Creating solid labour laws around scheduling would improve so many people’s lives.

But thank you NDP for reducing GST on heating bills.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I have worked a few min wage jobs and none of them were full time. To be fair this is when I was going to college so I didn't mind not being full time, but I'm curious how many actual full time min wage jobs there are out there.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

I lived in one of those dying fishing villages, and there wasn't enough work even at minimum wage for over half the town. And this was one that had some actual tourism & hospitality jobs after the mill died too

Yeah that's the other half of trying to work in these small towns. I lived in New Glasgow NS for a few years and while it probably had quite a bit going on (by ~10,000-people town standards) at one point, the steel mill is abandoned and rotting on the riverbank, and the train factory got shut down when they threatened to unionise, and the mines are all empty. There's nothing of the industry that once made the town what it was left and nothing really replaced it. What minimum-wage jobs there are are hotly contested (and, as people said, full of exploitative scheduling). Even crappy jobs like retail at the mall are gone because all malls everywhere are dead. It's basically the same story from Digby to Canso to Sydney and everything in-between. Very depressing stuff.

And it's not, like, that factories are awesome and we should be building more sludge-oozing factories everywhere. But nothing filled the void left by deindustrialisation.

Oh well, at least yuppies and keyboard touchers who work from home will be able to buy up some cheap houses.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
Canadaland dropped this day and honestly, it's essentially confiming that Canada is in a cold war with PRC China.

https://www.canadaland.com/podcast/833-trudeaus-dismissive-chinese-dad

I'm not even sure where to begin and what we can do about it.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
I imagine we’re banking on the Americans doing what the Americans do when it comes to protecting their colonies from another imperial power.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Arivia posted:

And to be clear, the new strike is coming not because of wages but because the tories won't agree to staffing schools with necessary amounts of early childhood educators (for kindergarden), libraries, educational assistants, etc. Dougie's gonna look horrible again, and for good reasons, again.

Amateurs. Instead of refusing to commit to anything, they should learn from Quebec's Liberal and CAQ governments, promise to staff schools with educators, etc. while quietly doing absolutely nothing.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

ZShakespeare posted:

I imagine we’re banking on the Americans doing what the Americans do when it comes to protecting their colonies from another imperial power.

Invading and protecting the oil?

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

ARACHTION posted:

But thank you NDP for reducing GST on heating bills.

Gotta love that feel-good regressive tax policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/StaySaif/status/1593311548629716992?s=20&t=JGBzOaJRGKPaGwgCINXvBw

Seems fine...