Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Open Marriage Night posted:

Now I want to give my players a skeleton key that an NPC tells them can open any door, when in truth any door they open with it leads them to the Crypt of Decay.

Amazing.

It doesn't even need the NPC. It could be a bit of "random" minor magical loot they find almost anywhere. It seems like the standard way to identify magic items in 5E is to just fondle them for an hour, which would reveal that it is a magical skeleton key. Using the Identify spell etc., would reveal details, so they can easily find out about the Crypt of Decay connection. But they won't, because you use it with a group that doesn't cast Identify on everything they find.

It is a cool magic item and not just a trap because if they clear out the Crypt of Decay it can be their new hideout where they store excess junk. An "oh poo poo" button they can use to escape when things have gone sideways. Not as good as spells like Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion, because while it lets you escape and rest the key is one-way you still have to walk all the way back from the Crypt's actual location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Amazing.

It doesn't even need the NPC. It could be a bit of "random" minor magical loot they find almost anywhere. It seems like the standard way to identify magic items in 5E is to just fondle them for an hour, which would reveal that it is a magical skeleton key. Using the Identify spell etc., would reveal details, so they can easily find out about the Crypt of Decay connection. But they won't, because you use it with a group that doesn't cast Identify on everything they find.

Speaking of, how tf are you canonically supposed to attune to a mythallar? Touching one deals 20d10 + 70 radiant damage on a failed CON save (so per round)

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Major Isoor posted:

Thanks for that! I'll check it out - Warehouse 13 too, for that matter

Warehouse 13 was probably one of my favorite Syfy shows behind like SG-1 and Eureka. Just schlocky, corny goofiness with a touch of obscure history. It's basically a secret cabal that since about the time of Alexander the Great or something have been collecting artifacts that tend to have descriptions that tend to be in the following madlib format:

[HISTORICAL FIGURE]'s [MUNDANE OBJECT] - Allows the user to [REMARKABLE FEAT ASSOCIATED WITH HISTORICAL FIGURE] but will [MONKEY'S PAW CURSE].

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt posted:

Amazing.

It is a cool magic item and not just a trap because if they clear out the Crypt of Decay it can be their new hideout where they store excess junk. An "oh poo poo" button they can use to escape when things have gone sideways. Not as good as spells like Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion, because while it lets you escape and rest the key is one-way you still have to walk all the way back from the Crypt's actual location.

Or the key actually does open any door, but the other end is on the bottom level of the Crypt of Decay. A brand new dungeon every time they use the key.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Facebook Aunt posted:

Amazing.

My group is the opposite generally doesn't go by that rule and tend to rely on Identify. I think its because maybe we don't know that's actually a thing we can do or only dimly aware of it? Most magic items we get are cursed anyhow so that probably also disincenticizes us. We went through a whole dungeon ones just attuning without identifying to every magic item we came across for a laugh just to see how many curses we could get and see to what extent they cancelled each other out. :haw:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

change my name posted:

Speaking of, how tf are you canonically supposed to attune to a mythallar? Touching one deals 20d10 + 70 radiant damage on a failed CON save (so per round)

Do you have to touch something to attune to it? Maybe basking in its glow is enough

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Cthulu Carl posted:

Warehouse 13 was probably one of my favorite Syfy shows behind like SG-1 and Eureka. Just schlocky, corny goofiness with a touch of obscure history. It's basically a secret cabal that since about the time of Alexander the Great or something have been collecting artifacts that tend to have descriptions that tend to be in the following madlib format:

[HISTORICAL FIGURE]'s [MUNDANE OBJECT] - Allows the user to [REMARKABLE FEAT ASSOCIATED WITH HISTORICAL FIGURE] but will [MONKEY'S PAW CURSE].

Hah! Sounds like a decent source of inspiration for Delta Green then :D Maybe I could have some of these strewn about in private collections they might come across.

Also, a more D&D related question, that also ties into Delta Green: A few missions in I'm going to drop my players into a D&D mini-campaign, as a curve-ball for when they start getting a feel for things. Similar to Jumanji I guess, but... I vaguely recall something else that is more like what I have envisioned - I don't remember quite what it was, though. Basically, they're gonna investigate the disappearance of some teens who were playing D&D in the basement of one of their homes.
Originally the cops were involved and they thought the kids ran off or something, but camera footage from nearby doesn't show anyone coming/going, and the parents were on the ground floor. So after a while, the players are brought in to poke around, on the off-chance that something weird happened.

So of course, something weird happened. And it'll happen to the players too - to make it brief, they'll sit down around the table, then get transported into the same 'game' the teens are in, but they're not around. From here though, I'm not 100% on where to take it. The main thing I'm after is perhaps an old module (a smaller one though, preferably - something that'll only take a session or two, I guess) that I can repurpose, as I've mostly played homebrew D&D in the past.
Then once I've got that, I have two choices on how to play it:

A) The teens were beaten by the boss or were trapped, so the team need to free them and beat the boss to rescue them. More light-hearted option, and probably quicker for me to set up.

B) The teens either beat the boss or don't care - probably the former, and are using their dungeon as a new HQ. Either way they don't care as they're too busy powertripping and basically being bandit kings. (In this scenario they've probably also aged several years due to time progressing at a different rate ingame, so it's not immediately apparent who they are) The team is asked by locals to take them down, as they're terrorizing the area.
So they go and fight it out, likely killing some before the teens realise the severity of the situation, that these random NPCs are actually powerful players. In any case, once it's sorted they can return to their entry point in the dimension and return to the basement, with any potential surviving kids who came along (who are probably reverted to their original age? Uncertain yet)

So yeah, if there are any modules that might be OK for something small like this, I'd greatly appreciate it! I'd also appreciate any feedback on the scenario in general, since I'm pretty new to GMing.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Mr. Lobe posted:

Do you have to touch something to attune to it? Maybe basking in its glow is enough

You have to be touching the magic item for the entire hour to attune to it RAW

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

change my name posted:

You have to be touching the magic item for the entire hour to attune to it RAW

http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/wondrous-items:ythryn-mythallar

quote:

The Ythryn mythallar is a relatively small device — a mere 50 feet in diameter. To attune to this mythallar, a creature must finish a short rest within 30 feet of it, meditating on the mythallar. Up to eight creatures can be attuned to it at one time; otherwise, the Ythryn mythallar follows the attunement rules in the Dungeon Master's Guide. If a ninth creature tries to attune to the mythallar, nothing happens.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Huh. I swear I read some post where someone died trying to touch it to attune to it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

change my name posted:

Huh. I swear I read some post where someone died trying to touch it to attune to it.

I will take Damage to attune to the
Mythallar

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015

Okay, i will pm you gdrive link later.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Adventure idea: Local magical radio station equivalent hosts a Hands on a Hardbody contest where everyone who signs up puts their hands on this thing and the eight winners get fabulous prizes.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Um, directly from that Wikidot:

quote:

To attune to this mythallar, a creature must finish a short rest within 30 feet of it, meditating on the mythallar. Up to eight creatures can be attuned to it at one time; otherwise, the Ythryn mythallar follows the attunement rules in the Dungeon Master's Guide. If a ninth creature tries to attune to the mythallar, nothing happens.

Though having to disintegrate yourself to attune to it would be a lot funnier.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I've figured out how to package my Roll20 assets into Dungeondraft Asset Packs :getin:

I've also been learning small things about Foundry, like "How to Edit Quantity of Consumables" and "How do Doors* Work?" :shobon:

*Specifically how to configure doors, so my players can actually traverse into windows like the feral ferrets they are! Finally figured this out, just need to place doors instead of windows when applicable and set them to let light/vision through. :)

A thought occurs to me, how do people handle climbing/climb speeds in foundry?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hell, I’d like to know how people even handle difficult terrain when it comes to measuring movement.

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015
The question is if elevation is planned for your map. You can set the height a token is at if you right click on it and adjust the number on the top left. There is also a complicated module called levels, which lets you further play around with elevation, at the cost of further prep time for your maps.

I don't have any automation for difficult terrain in place. I just tell my players their maximum movement range or that a certain square costs 10ft instead of 5ft to cross.

Edit: Midi-Qol is a good module for a lot of automation if you are into that. Monk's token bar also has some good features, like automated group check.

Rubberduke fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 16, 2022

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Looking for some advice on a potential character build. The DM of our regular campaign is preparing a one shot, with the idea of it being either a heist or an assassination mission. He wants to do it with a party primarily of rogues-it’s a level 8 mission, and he wants all the players to have at least 3 rogue levels. I’m looking for some fun multiclass ideas-I played a precious campaign as a rogue, and while I enjoyed it, I’d like a little extra flavor. I’m toying with prioritizing dexterity and strength and doing a rogue/barbarian character, but curious if there’s any suggestions?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

TL posted:

Looking for some advice on a potential character build. The DM of our regular campaign is preparing a one shot, with the idea of it being either a heist or an assassination mission. He wants to do it with a party primarily of rogues-it’s a level 8 mission, and he wants all the players to have at least 3 rogue levels. I’m looking for some fun multiclass ideas-I played a precious campaign as a rogue, and while I enjoyed it, I’d like a little extra flavor. I’m toying with prioritizing dexterity and strength and doing a rogue/barbarian character, but curious if there’s any suggestions?

A Mask of Many Faces Warlock off an Arcane Trickster Rogue start is pretty much right on point for that. Basically the Warlock gets you Disguise Self at will and the Rogue levels give you nutso skill checks and a bunch of useful cantrips. If you search for Rogue Warlock Spy you'll get a bunch of sample builds, this is one I happen to like best: https://www.reddit.com/r/3d6/comments/edv4u7/master_spy_roguewarlock_build/

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

TL posted:

5 Zealot Barbarian/3 Soul Knife Rogue works fine as a build.

You have extra attack, sneak attack, Rage, bonus damage on your first hit every round, a bonus action attack you get the Psionic Knack to make your skill checks better and can never be disarmed. Its solid.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

TL posted:

Artificer has great synergy with rogue. Its too bad they are forcing you to take 3 levels of rogue, if you were allowed to take 6 levels of artificer and 2 levels of rogue you could make Gloves of Thievery and you would get double bonus to using Thieves Tools. But a 5th level artificer can still make: Alchemy Jug, Bag of Holding, Cap of Water Breathing, Goggles of Night,Rope of Climbing Sending Stones, Wand of Magic Detection, and Wand of Secrets. All of these items are super useful for a heist.

Edit: also if you go with alchemist you can make levitation potions for your entire crew

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 17, 2022

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Gloom Stalker Ranger gives you Disguise Self, Dark Vision, and makes sneaking around in dim light even better. That with Assassin Rogue is great for killing folks, even with a Shortsword if you wanna use STR. That with an Inquisitive Rogue would be great if they go the heist route. Mastermind Rogue is cool if you wanna be a team player.

If you are set on the Barbarian route, the previously mentioned Zealot 5 is a good option.

Play a Bugbear if you wanna kill stuff or a Firbolg for even more sneakiness.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Anyone have any suggestions for granular loot tables? The DM has some, but I'd like something a bit more detailed.

For example the CR 0-4 Table just has coins, which I suppose I can convert into items of equivalent value.

What I'd like/prefer something where I roll once, which tells me how many times to roll for coins, and then how many times
to roll for trinkets, and somehow there's also a chance (albeit rare) for magic items.

I saw a suggestion to roll up a Treasure Hoard for a dungeon and then just distribute items between the rooms, but the DMG treasure hoard still kinda lacks like that kind of granularity for trinkets, mundane items and so on.

Any ideas? I'd ideally like the tables rather than some online blackbox generator and then just roll them myself but some tables I found, like this one: http://miniworld.com/cgi-bin/scavanged.pl are a little unclear. I get its a d100 for a given column, but how do I choose between a column, like 50% for small trinkets and then 30% for medium and 20% for large?

Basically I'd like to be able to be like, "You push aside some rocks and see what appears to be a mundane longsword, a disintegrating leather bag with 5gp, 2 bottles of red wine, and a 100 year jar of preserved stew, still good to eat." *Steve1989MREInfo enters the chat*

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

What's a good dungeon for a level four group that I can use as the Crypt of Decay?

I'm still a fairly novice DM, but my group is having fun with Spelljammer so far. They had a space battle that resulted in them crash landing in Ixalan (Dinosaur world from Magic the Gathering). They got to storm a vampire fort while riding dinosaurs.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

What's a good dungeon for a level four group that I can use as the Crypt of Decay?

I'm still a fairly novice DM, but my group is having fun with Spelljammer so far. They had a space battle that resulted in them crash landing in Ixalan (Dinosaur world from Magic the Gathering). They got to storm a vampire fort while riding dinosaurs.

I have always liked this one from the DMG for a generic Dungeon

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Raenir Salazar posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for granular loot tables? The DM has some, but I'd like something a bit more detailed.

For example the CR 0-4 Table just has coins, which I suppose I can convert into items of equivalent value.

What I'd like/prefer something where I roll once, which tells me how many times to roll for coins, and then how many times
to roll for trinkets, and somehow there's also a chance (albeit rare) for magic items.

I saw a suggestion to roll up a Treasure Hoard for a dungeon and then just distribute items between the rooms, but the DMG treasure hoard still kinda lacks like that kind of granularity for trinkets, mundane items and so on.

Any ideas? I'd ideally like the tables rather than some online blackbox generator and then just roll them myself but some tables I found, like this one: http://miniworld.com/cgi-bin/scavanged.pl are a little unclear. I get its a d100 for a given column, but how do I choose between a column, like 50% for small trinkets and then 30% for medium and 20% for large?

Basically I'd like to be able to be like, "You push aside some rocks and see what appears to be a mundane longsword, a disintegrating leather bag with 5gp, 2 bottles of red wine, and a 100 year jar of preserved stew, still good to eat." *Steve1989MREInfo enters the chat*

Use OSRIC for your treasure tables:
https://osricrpg.com/get.php

Or even better, a copy of the 1e DMG

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

This is the best dungeon for you
http://beholderpie.blogspot.com/2016/05/one-page-dungeon-2016-quintessential.html

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Are there any FR novels or adventures or any stuff that focus on Nimbral?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Are there any FR novels or adventures or any stuff that focus on Nimbral?

The FRwiki has links to the 3e web articles, feeding those to the Wayback machine is the best you’ll get.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

ToC for the new Dragonalance Adventure

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Another successful session!

This session my players managed to:
- Fight their way through a gauntlet of shadow monsters.
- Accepted a bribe from a Inexplicibly Medium sized Imp to ignore his presence.
- Committed armed burglary which turned into a burglary gone wrong as they proceeded to use lethal force in response to being shot at proving once and for all that being armed for home defence just makes things worse! Politics!? In MY gaming!?
- Plot to escape a town hidden in magical darkness embroiled in a three sided war between zealous inquisitors, crazed cultists, and unspeakable shadow monsters with their ill gotten gains.

Every week I managed to figure out a little bit more about how Foundry works! My players seem to be having a lot of fun and really enjoying the benefits that Foundry gives. Like being able to trade with each other.

I think I might work with and lean into the robbery/heist, they seem to want to pull a Kelly's Heroes and rob the bank as well now that order has completely broken down in this town that they have no connection to; and line up some fetch quests to align with the main plot to put together the Wagon, draft animals etc.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Yusin posted:

ToC for the new Dragonalance Adventure

Mage of High Sorcery, Knight of Solamnia, ... Sorcerer Subclass.

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015

Raenir Salazar posted:

Another successful session!

This session my players managed to:
- Fight their way through a gauntlet of shadow monsters.
- Accepted a bribe from a Inexplicibly Medium sized Imp to ignore his presence.
- Committed armed burglary which turned into a burglary gone wrong as they proceeded to use lethal force in response to being shot at proving once and for all that being armed for home defence just makes things worse! Politics!? In MY gaming!?
- Plot to escape a town hidden in magical darkness embroiled in a three sided war between zealous inquisitors, crazed cultists, and unspeakable shadow monsters with their ill gotten gains.

Every week I managed to figure out a little bit more about how Foundry works! My players seem to be having a lot of fun and really enjoying the benefits that Foundry gives. Like being able to trade with each other.

I think I might work with and lean into the robbery/heist, they seem to want to pull a Kelly's Heroes and rob the bank as well now that order has completely broken down in this town that they have no connection to; and line up some fetch quests to align with the main plot to put together the Wagon, draft animals etc.

It's great that your players rely on Foundry's features. My group does not really want to because they don't want to turn dnd to videogamey. It sometimes annoys me because I rely on some of these features to make my life easier and speed up combat.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Rubberduke posted:

It's great that your players rely on Foundry's features. My group does not really want to because they don't want to turn dnd to videogamey. It sometimes annoys me because I rely on some of these features to make my life easier and speed up combat.

Yeah I want to be able to do Fancy Things that in a normal game on Roll20 would make the session take too long; here we went through like five different combat encounters within a 4 hour session! In my Sunday game where I'm a player and we're in Roll20, its maybe 2 encounters in 8 hours.

We managed to make the same joke twice, just as funny both times.

The Paladin enters the room and rolls a 21 Insight check to figure out whats going on, he asks if there's evil people.

Me: *Glances at the party doing a robbery and a murder as well as a group of cultists who broke in through the back door.*
Me: "You see a group of people laughing maniacally while holding bloodied weapons in their hands."
Barbarian Fairy Player: "And there's also a group of cultists! :haw:"

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Team of reluctant heroes trip report: Game is dissolved.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

champagne posting posted:

Team of reluctant heroes trip report: Game is dissolved.

:(
It's always more fun when the PCs get dissolved

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Are they going to half rear end this Dragonlance release like they did for Spelljammer or is it going to be good

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Syrinxx posted:

Are they going to half rear end this Dragonlance release like they did for Spelljammer or is it going to be good

From what I have seen it looks pretty good. Helps that it is longer than Spelljammer and is focused on being an adventure over a setting guide. I will give some more thoughts once I have my copy tomorrow.

I still enjoyed Spelljammer, but Once again I wish it was longer, hope Wizards takes that into account with Planescape next year.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Yusin posted:

I still enjoyed Spelljammer, but Once again I wish it was longer, hope Wizards takes that into account with Planescape next year.

There is zero chance WotC is going to put out even 5% of the Planescape content that TSR produced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Second edition really was a golden age of settings and fluff, just volumes of information, geography, politics, histories over rule sets.