Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

There are plenty of entry level programmers in the biz, even without visas, but almost no companies will hire anyone without 3-5 years of specific experience because they can’t be bothered to actually train anyone for a few months. Existing documentation and actual apprenticeship in the computer toucher industry? Lolzno that costs too much, deadlines too short. Companies never hire up entry level when the times are good. It falls on tech leads within the team to spend extra often unpaid and unacknowledged time advocating for and training in the newbies.

But then when Mr. Senior Dev finally quits to be closer to his family or try a different job, the entire management chain melts the gently caress down realizing they have zero redundancy and they need an exact copy of Mr. Senior Dev or the entire company will collapse. They don’t just want any computer toucher, they need that exact level of hyper specialization. Management can’t see beyond a month away and it’s constantly biting them in the rear end.

So it leads to a situation where anyone without a solid amount of experience in some respected specialized field that multiple companies are interested in (the Twitter folks badmouthing Elon are all this) has to play a bit of self preservation game if they want to keep their salary as high as it is. It’s pretty difficult to get actually fired in Big Tech, but boat rocking with unions and activism is exactly it. You’ll find yourself facing down HR with some made up bullshit about how your performance has been extremely poor and you’re being let go.

this guy gets it. during interviews I look past the 3-5 experience bullshit because I want people that will be able to learn. I went through the same thing and I refuse to do it as a senior.

my reasoning is that I do not know it's 3-5 years of actual experience; did they actually program it as a main responsibility or did they just touch a config for setting up javascript framework routes? i give them the benefit of the doubt and ask them very open ended questions and even doing that is enough to figure out if someone can do the job or not.

For example, I do security and ask them what you would look for in an SQL injection vector. If it's SQL server errors somewhere in the output, SQL related data coming back instead, or pages not coming back when you requested all user records instead of just one, and a bunch more, then they understand what SQL injection is. I am not expecting them to shoot back every single result above because the vulnerability can present itself in a multitude of ways.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

do you have 5 years experience with working with an Elon? we're looking for people who worked in hosed up environments and it doesn't look like it from your resume.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I've worked for startups, I've got more hosed up environment experience than anyone needs

RDM posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/LisaBloom/status/1593144267236835330

Everyone who dislikes my posting has now resigned from your jobs. Inform your respective HRs immediately.

But I thought agreements made under duress weren't binding

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
https://twitter.com/growing_daniel/status/1593266521970683904?t=Jd6_zfFDAaItYhiGEJCcxQ&s=19

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

:lmao:

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Disdain of STEM education? In this country that worships at that detrimental altar? This Twitter takeover is a textbook example of STEMs lack of humanity education or expansion of thought outside realms of engineering. That all political problems have engineering solutions, and that the realms of politics culture and people are actually math problems that can solved.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Gonna guess the bit about the 13 year old Chinese Olympian is what lured Elon in like a cartoon character following the scent of a pie on the window sill.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Cthulu Carl posted:

Gonna guess the bit about the 13 year old Chinese Olympian is what lured Elon in like a cartoon character following the scent of a pie on the window sill.

being "completely flawless" with the wacky monkey cheese cartwheel image is what got him.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Strong Sauce posted:

do you have 5 years experience with working with an Elon? we're looking for people who worked in hosed up environments and it doesn't look like it from your resume.

I will allow Elon to impregnat me.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

What would be worse now the kids named after Elon or the kids named Khalessi after Game of Thrones

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

"I'm here to document and reverse engineer your micro services. Stand back!"
"Erm... you don't need to 'reverse engineer' anything, the entire source code is all here."
"Quiet, I am performing my magic!"

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Lol

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

Disdain of STEM education? In this country that worships at that detrimental altar? This Twitter takeover is a textbook example of STEMs lack of humanity education or expansion of thought outside realms of engineering. That all political problems have engineering solutions, and that the realms of politics culture and people are actually math problems that can solved.

This Twitter takeover by a humanistics (economics) graduate who believes all STEM people are interchangeable drones who's job is easy.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

They were all dead weight, ghosts, or liberals. Get 'em, Elon! Make earn a real living, not just making words appear on my phone!

Actual question here: is this one of those situations where there's a multiplier applied to the damages to employees? It's still peanuts to Musk, but it's be hilarious if he owes the people he fired $100 million.
can't sue a company that has no employees and has no money!

but seriously, if he does manage to parachute out of the CEO role, and leaves Twitter destitute, would Musk be forced to personally pay?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

crime weed posted:

can't sue a company that has no employees and has no money!

but seriously, if he does manage to parachute out of the CEO role, and leaves Twitter destitute, would Musk be forced to personally pay?

He's already paid.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

bobjr posted:

What would be worse now the kids named after Elon or the kids named Khalessi after Game of Thrones

The kids named after elon are being raised by people that should not be raising children

They are going to suck a whole lot

CumBlast Radius Jr
Nov 1, 2022

by Azathoth
Who should be raising children?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Wolves, mostly.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

CumBlast Radius Jr posted:

Raising children? In this economy?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I genuinely wonder if bootlicker would be happy with slave labor for glorious idiot leader.

You'd think so, but I also want to have faith in humanity for a brief moment

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Definitely not the sort of person who idolizes elon musk

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Wolves, mostly.

Elon definitely would have been better off if he'd been raised to understand acting for the good of the pack and also the corrective power of sharp teeth on the scruff of one's neck.

Also maybe he would have died getting kicked in the head by a buffalo or deer.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Azhais posted:

But I thought agreements made under duress weren't binding

No no no that's only true for us rich folks. You loving serfs can sign the contract to work until you drop dead of lack of sleep, or you can be jobless.

For real the whole thing is "rules for thee but not for me" mixed with the emperor's new clothes, and I'm at a point where I can't fathom being an Elon fanboys without being a completely friendless and miserable person... And even then.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Decon posted:

Imagine thinking that wanting a life outside work means you have no pride in your work.

Yeah, this is why I’m pushing to have us not look at candidate personal GitHub repositories as part of the interview process.

CumBlast Radius Jr
Nov 1, 2022

by Azathoth
There should be a TV show with one of the California Rasins called Rasin Spirits

And he just goes around cheering people up a bit

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Most STEM jobs are poo poo and the tasks could be performed by any overeducated idiot with a short period of training. Some STEM jobs are extremely hard and require people with very specific skills and talents that are difficult to learn and teach.

People from the former think they can do the latter. As it always has been and always will be.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

goatface posted:

Most STEM jobs are poo poo and the tasks could be performed by any overeducated idiot with a short period of training. Some STEM jobs are extremely hard and require people with very specific skills and talents that are difficult to learn and teach.

People from the former think they can do the latter. As it always has been and always will be.

Ah poo poo I'm one of these two people

CumBlast Radius Jr
Nov 1, 2022

by Azathoth

goatface posted:

The answer is there is a middle ground

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

The answer is there is a middle ground

We regret to inform you the middle ground can also be completed by any overeducated idiot with a short period of training.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, this is why I’m pushing to have us not look at candidate personal GitHub repositories as part of the interview process.

I'm proudly at a point in my career where "can we see your GitHub" will have me straight up get up and walk out the door.

I'm a good dev. I like working on software and being good at it. You know what I do on the weekend? Right now I'm reflooring my god drat house and remodeling my kitchen. If you want a nolifer that literally does nothing but code, you can have someone else be your burnout-in-waiting.

Edit: and I don't mean to denigrate people with hobby projects. Just the expectation of it as a baseline for being a dev.

Decon fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 17, 2022

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

goatface posted:

How many of the current HR staff do you think were HR staff before the takeover?

I don't live in the US so I don't know how it works over there: is there a professional order for HR peeps over there?

Where I live this kinda poo poo would get them radiated from the order and unemployable real quick. Is that the case in the US/cali?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

listen either we willing submit to indentured servitude or the rich will make the necessities of life unaffordable until its work or starve for us all

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
What the gently caress is an order

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

DandyLion posted:

We regret to inform you the middle ground can also be completed by any overeducated idiot with a short period of training.

Nope, impossible. If a person is interested in STEM jobs must have no empathy or humanity, a person that is interested in being a truck driver *must* like amphetamines of all sorts of flavors.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/nxthompson/status/1593297068835184641

wow, it sure sucks that these are the only two ways to manage a company, apparently

hopefully someone comes up with a new, better way someday

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

big black turnout posted:

What the gently caress is an order

Kinda like the bar, where some professions have codes of ethics and poo poo and if you go against best practices you can be effectively banned from doing that job ever again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_order

Where I live it is the case for HR, is there something similar that governs HR in the US at all? Because they'll for sure run into issues with HR in other countries with that deadline poo poo.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

No, lol, absolutely not. Labor is absolutely destroyed in the US. You have almost no rights and the status quo is grinding abuse, no time off, and very little or no benefits.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sanctum posted:

How common is this stuff? I thought my last employer was a fluke and that this sort of behavior was not the norm.

Wage theft done by management is easily the most common form of theft in the US, mostly likely the entire world, and probably the biggest by dollar value too. It can be as simple as some guy in a tiny mechanic shop rounding down an employee's minutes "because it makes the math easier" all the way up to things like your case and what Twitter is doing.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Gros Tarla posted:

Kinda like the bar, where some professions have codes of ethics and poo poo and if you go against best practices you can be effectively banned from doing that job ever again.

Where I live it is the case for HR, is there something similar that governs HR in the US at all? Because they'll for sure run into issues with HR in other countries with that deadline poo poo.

Hahahahahahahahahaha no probably the closest thing we have is word of mouth where refusing to do something illegal would be likely to keep you from getting another job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Gros Tarla posted:

Then there is definitely one for government positions, with OPM being one of them

https://www.justice.gov/jmd/hr-order-doj/human-resources-order-department-justice-12001-appendix-2#employment

Less so for non-govt jobs, and by "less so" I mean they will fire you at the drop of the hat with no consequences.