Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/nxthompson/status/1593297068835184641

wow, it sure sucks that these are the only two ways to manage a company, apparently

hopefully someone comes up with a new, better way someday

Because denigrating the actual engineers making poo poo work as snowflakes/layabouts/etc, claiming credit for their work, making absurd demands of them, and then acting like you're saving the literal world with your overhyped changes to old news tech is oh so loving different from run of the mill techbro smarm.

Jesus wept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CumBlast Radius Jr
Nov 1, 2022

by Azathoth
If you're not 100% making fun of this guy you need to stop and make sure you are

Hes going to be around ;longer than you want and break your heart and mind.

But hes not ever worth your time.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the best "want X years of experience" is the guy that invent the thing, and the thing wasnt even X years old yet. oh and then the HR twitter just kept stonewalling / no selling this massively obviously wrongness.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

Azhais posted:

But I thought agreements made under duress weren't binding
Remember that mural in the lobby? The End Employee License Agreement was written on it in 4 point font, and you agreed to it when you walked past it.

For cashflow reasons we're going to need part of your liver and one of your kidneys. This is a FYI as you've agreed to this already. Report to HR (Organs).

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

In the us wage theft is a civil issue and in dollar value is something like 100 times higher than employees stealing either directly from the tills or merchandise or similar, which is a criminal issue.

So you could steal one hundred bucks out of the till because your boss refuses to pay you the 100 bucks he owes for the last week of shifts you did, you'd go to prison for larceny and he'd basically be Scott free waiting for you to press legal proceedings from prison. It's astonishingly rigged.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Oh I thought an order was like mandatory overtime. A real thing in the USA dunno about elsewhere.

Mandatory overtime is a hoot. They can't force anyone to stay and can't penalize anyone who leaves. If the supervisor is a real rear end in a top hat they might not tell the workers that they can leave without any consequences.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/nxthompson/status/1593297068835184641

wow, it sure sucks that these are the only two ways to manage a company, apparently

hopefully someone comes up with a new, better way someday

Yeah I'm brutally honest. that means if I see a 10-year-old on the street I've got no trouble dissing them to their faces and telling it like it is.

If that same 10 year old disses me back I descend into a blubbering husk and call the police on them for hurting my feoffees. this is called being hard-core

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Calling my wife to tell her I can't take her to the hospital when she goes into labor because I'm too hardcore to stop writing code.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Decon posted:

Calling my wife to tell her I can't take her to the hospital when she goes into labor because I'm too hardcore to stop writing code.

also the baby is elon's

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Another great article from thealtlantic :rolleyes: They've really been dragging their reputation through the mud lately.

quote:

[...]
I do have one small confession, though. I find Musk a compelling figure, and not in the disdainful, irony-soaked way that is barely acceptable in polite society. In a world of passive-aggressive rich people smiling through veneered teeth while withholding tips from minimum-wage staffers, I find his unabashedly-workaholic-maniac persona hugely preferable to the usual tech-bro smarm.

Let’s not lowball the awfulness of Musk’s management style. In the past few weeks alone, he has laid off workers with unholy and unpleasant glee. He has announced that employees were fired for daring to talk back to him on Twitter. He’s fired others by bcc email. He even created an opt-in system to not be fired, which required workers to agree to be “extremely hardcore.” The whole circus has been an exercise in performative, macho, tech-bro cruelty. I can understand why Musk works 90-hour weeks across the multiple companies that he leads; the reward for him is billions of dollars in personal wealth. It’s less clear what the reward will be for the peons pumping out code to keep Twitter’s services running: no work-life balance, constantly changing demands, and the possibility of being locked out of your laptop at any given moment? What an opportunity! Thank you, Daddy Musk.

And yet, Silicon Valley could do with 90 percent less pablum about “bringing people closer together” especially while profiting from ethically dubious business models. Go away. Let your workers unionize. Stop letting bad actors exploit your platform in countries without a strong enough press to hold you to account. A period of silent meditation from all of you would be most welcome.

The three weeks since Musk’s takeover of Twitter have been filled with a restless, chaotic energy reminiscent of another great American troll, Donald Trump. It’s strangely appropriate that as Trump’s star has fallen—his favored midterm candidates lost and in some cases got shellacked; his presidential-campaign launch was low-energy—Musk has risen to take the former president’s place in our collective consciousness. Only last year, Musk was posting spicy tweets at a rate of maybe one a week; now he’s hammering them out with a frenzy that recalls the last days of the Trump White House.

In the case of both men, the appeal is a kind of knowing awfulness that flatters the onlooker: All politicians lie, but at least I’m honest about it. All billionaires are selfish egomaniacs; at least I’m not hiding it behind charity galas and Davos panels on philanthropy. Like Trump, Musk became famous in part by understanding that wrestling audiences aren’t the only ones who love a heel. How can I tell that Musk relishes being the bad guy? He fired Twitter’s entire communications department.
Same vibe as "sure he's a racist but at least he's honest about being racist!" :haw: So the author hates Elon but an editor must have changed the headline to sound pro-musk for engagement :confused:

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

kazil posted:

also the baby is elon's

So loving hardcore.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Gros Tarla posted:

Kinda like the bar, where some professions have codes of ethics and poo poo and if you go against best practices you can be effectively banned from doing that job ever again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_order

Where I live it is the case for HR, is there something similar that governs HR in the US at all? Because they'll for sure run into issues with HR in other countries with that deadline poo poo.

Oh... lol thats cute. This is the United States of America, where capitalism reigns supreme and labor is brutally expendable (though Elon is testing even the limits of our lack of empathy).

No, we don't have a professional organization which licenses HR professionals that I know of. You do need some kind of degree related to it and there are some commonly-agreed best practices, but thats it. If an evil company wants to hire evil HR, they will.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rigel posted:

If an evil company wants to hire evil HR, they will.

Wait wait wait. There are non-evil HR people?

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Sanctum posted:

Another great article from thealtlantic :rolleyes: They've really been dragging their reputation through the mud lately.

Same vibe as "sure he's a racist but at least he's honest about being racist!" :haw: So the author hates Elon but an editor must have changed the headline to sound pro-musk for engagement :confused:

Is this writer seriously trying to make the argument that being openly and obviously worse than all other alternatives is actually a good thing really I promise

They even cite Trump who was the honeypot for idiots on the internet going ah yes he’ll inspire the revolution

These decisions actually affect people, negatively and in reality. No, the tech industry has issues, but they’re not secretly as bad as Musk’s Twitter reign. Go gently caress yourself.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

Is this writer seriously trying to make the argument that being openly and obviously worse than all other alternatives is actually a good thing really I promise

They even cite Trump who was the honeypot for idiots on the internet going ah yes he’ll inspire the revolution

These decisions actually affect people, negatively and in reality. No, the tech industry has issues, but they’re not secretly as bad as Musk’s Twitter reign. Go gently caress yourself.

The article doesn’t seem to be arguing that, in fact it seems to be arguing that Musk is just becoming the new Trump. To what end it’s arguing that I’m not sure tho

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
i admire snidely whiplash for twirling his mustache as he ties women to railroad tracks, it's honestly refreshing this day and age

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

"See actually, bad is good, and despite the evidence to the contrary, and gee funny that my lips gravitating groinwards towards some loving foolishness?!"

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

It's kind of funny, and probably entirely due to local culture, but I've worked in multiple US-based corporations here in Ireland, and have always had a very cordial relationship with our HR reps.
I think the difference is, while the company is US based, the HR staff have to be local or they won't be up on local employment law.
I know the standard reply is that they only exist to protect the company, but nearly every one I have dealt with, including someone who went on to be Head of HR for Europe for a megacorp, was a kind and decent person who was extremely fun on a company night out.
She who went on to be a major head of stuff in Europe convinced me to steal her a labelled glass from a big Dublin pub. She was thrilled when I delivered it to her office the following Monday :unsmith:.

When the company was going through some big layoffs, I made it clear I really wanted to be made redundant (loving KA-CHING), she supported me and made it happen, even though it would have been quite possible for her to have blocked it.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

That article reads like you’re arguing which kind of horror movie monster you’d want chasing after you

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
HR are the cops of corporate.

All cops are bastards.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

bobjr posted:

That article reads like you’re arguing which kind of horror movie monster you’d want chasing after you

It's Dracula, right? Cause if he catches you there's a chance you'll get to become a dracula too, much like if Elon likes your tweet

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Are you HARDCORE enough to be a Globetrotter? ARE YOU?!?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

EVIL Gibson posted:

It also attests to

1. industries increasing addiction to VISA workers because they cannot find the talent and/or don't want to pay a lot. Very hard for VISA workers to go to another job since their only right to live in the US is to work. That means they only have month or two before they have to get a plane ticket and travel back after they stop working
  2. the very lack/disdain of STEM education. I know too many people who are proud of not knowing how to use computers or even know basic things like how immune systems work
  3. because of #2 is why VISA workers will only increase in numbers because lots of kids in school wants to be a YouTuber or a streamer.

Lol yes, everyone mocks STEM folks in 2022, and all those whippersnappers just want to play their Nintendo’s all day.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Lol yes, everyone mocks STEM folks in 2022, and all those whippersnappers just want to play their Nintendo’s all day.

Hell yeah!!! Glad you get me

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

just lol because even if he can do all that in 12 weeks it's gonna be undocumented reverse engineered code and he's gonna gently caress off and move on and no one else will know what to do with the code.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Pookah posted:

It's kind of funny, and probably entirely due to local culture, but I've worked in multiple US-based corporations here in Ireland, and have always had a very cordial relationship with our HR reps.
I think the difference is, while the company is US based, the HR staff have to be local or they won't be up on local employment law.
I know the standard reply is that they only exist to protect the company, but nearly every one I have dealt with, including someone who went on to be Head of HR for Europe for a megacorp, was a kind and decent person who was extremely fun on a company night out.
She who went on to be a major head of stuff in Europe convinced me to steal her a labelled glass from a big Dublin pub. She was thrilled when I delivered it to her office the following Monday :unsmith:.

When the company was going through some big layoffs, I made it clear I really wanted to be made redundant (loving KA-CHING), she supported me and made it happen, even though it would have been quite possible for her to have blocked it.

I worked for a US startup that opened an office in Ireland. Initially they tried to have their US HR people handle things and they were some of the most deeply unlikeable and incompetent people I've ever worked with. It was a disaster and probably not entirely legal, but once they grew enough to need local HR representation the situation improved immensely.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

"hey i'm the famous hacking/reverse engineering guy can you give me access to all your data including an internal network map and also pay my rent"

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
My boy Ed Zitron getting on Business Insider to question what Musk does all day

https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-twitter-tesla-ceo-job-broken-chief-hypocrisy-officer-2022-11

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Sanctum posted:

What reputation?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Yeah but there has been a ton of "lol now those lazy leeches gonna have to find real work" in response to people getting fired/laid off

they say you gotta do stem because that's what smart people do or whatever but then you get a job in it and you're a lazy piece of poo poo who thinks you're better than I am why don't you get a real job you fuckin lib

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Pookah posted:

Bro, you are working in Ireland, even if for a US company. Do a tour on this side of the pond

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
I work in an industry that attracts a lot of that "I'm hardcore I worked 147 hours last week" types and the kind of fake job havers who like exploiting them. Every single one of them is insanely poo poo at the actual job. My go to answer is "if you can't get the work done in your contracted hours you must be pretty bad at the job".

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
https://twitter.com/mjnblack/status/1593254738614575107

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Kingo Ligma posted:

I work in an industry that attracts a lot of that "I'm hardcore I worked 147 hours last week" types and the kind of fake job havers who like exploiting them. Every single one of them is insanely poo poo at the actual job. My go to answer is "if you can't get the work done in your contracted hours you must be pretty bad at the job".

Yeah I hate that type because you know they're going to be asking you dumb poo poo all the time outside of work hours if they can. Often just for the grind mindset clout.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

Bro, you are working in Ireland, even if for a US company. Do a tour on this side of the pond

Lol no, I am not a goddamn masochist.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Lol. This is why I'm not opposed to cannibalism in the coming apocalypse.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1593318913646944258?s=20&t=SHfrodmtUhHINJzyj9xKeg

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
I recommend reading the whole article but Jesus fuckin Christ

quote:

These worries tend to focus on one class of people in particular, which pronatalists use various euphemisms to express. In August, Elon's father, Errol Musk, told me that he was worried about low birth rates in what he called "productive nations." The Collinses call it "cosmopolitan society." Elon Musk himself has tweeted about the movie "Idiocracy," in which the intelligent elite stop procreating, allowing the unintelligent to populate the earth.

"Contrary to what many think, the richer someone is, the fewer kids they have. I am a rare exception," he wrote in another tweet this past May. "Most people I know have zero or one kid."

Musk was echoing an argument made by Nick Bostrom, one of the founding fathers of longtermism, who wrote that he worried declining fertility among "intellectually talented individuals" could lead to the demise of "advanced civilized society." Émile P. Torres, a former longtermist philosopher who has become one of the movement's most outspoken critics, put it more bluntly: "The longtermist view itself implies that really, people in rich countries matter more."

A source who worked closely with Musk for several years described this thinking as core to the billionaire's pronatalist ideology. "He's very serious about the idea that your wealth is directly linked to your IQ," he said. The source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity for this article, also said Musk urged "all the rich men he knew" to have as many children as possible.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

priznat posted:

Often just for the grind mindset clout.

can I just say the grind/hustle mind set is stupid as gently caress even if we do get dumb bird posts like the king of grind saying a 100$/month payout is a better passive income than taking a multi million dollar lump sum.

just a bunch of stupid beta gently caress boys barking dumb poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

new requirements for working at twitter coming soon

elon will be coming soon