Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

MoonCrab posted:

What's Tart doing playing with kids in Inazuma lmao

Wasn't he supposed to be hunting Scara? You're in the wrong country and also we already took him out. What's your role in the story even supposed to be nowadays? :thunk:

wdym, he sells toys for a living.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Maybe hes gonna bring the dead boob harbinger's body back to snezhnaya
The Natlan chapter is called "Incandescent Ode of Resurrection", after all.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Yoimiya.exe is canon.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Zenostein posted:

cashcow.

Real hosed up that yoimiya's just like "oh yeah, he tried to destroy a city, but he was nice to kids here, so this is fine." What the hell yoimiya.

I mean, she's pretty much restating his entire appeal as a character. "Sure, he might be a bloodthirsty high-ranking secret agent of a highly militarized imperialistic nation who was personally complicit in the attempted destruction of the biggest trade hub in the world... but do you see just how good with kids he is?!"

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I dunno, I can relate to going ape poo poo in a chinese money factory

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Tree Reformat posted:

I mean, she's pretty much restating his entire appeal as a character. "Sure, he might be a bloodthirsty high-ranking secret agent of a highly militarized imperialistic nation who was personally complicit in the attempted destruction of the biggest trade hub in the world... but do you see just how good with kids he is?!"
That kind of thing is why I can't be too salty about the first act of Raiden's story quest being super goofy. That intentional bathos is what Genshin is all about. The Traveller is an immortal demigod from another dimension on an endless journey to save a lost sibling who doesn't want to be found; Paimon is a bizarre creature named like a god whose forgotten identity might hold the key to the deepest secrets of the world. They spend all their time talking about food and sniping at each other like me and my mates on Discord.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
So Gilded Dreams. At the end of the day is this set actually good? Cyno wants TF. Nahida is usually tbe best Deepwood holder in her comps, same with Tighnari. Everyone bloom-related will prefer the new bloom set. If you plan on pulling Scara, maybe it's better not to farm the set too hard. (Some farming is ofc fine because deepwood is a mandatory set)

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
If you take both Yoimiya’s and Childe’s story quests into account it isn’t exactly surprising that they would get along, even if he is a Harbringer.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

No Wave posted:

So Gilded Dreams. At the end of the day is this set actually good? Cyno wants TF. Nahida is usually tbe best Deepwood holder in her comps, same with Tighnari. Everyone bloom-related will prefer the new bloom set. If you plan on pulling Scara, maybe it's better not to farm the set too hard. (Some farming is ofc fine because deepwood is a mandatory set)

I use it on hyperbloom teams. On EM Kuki or EM Raiden. Nahida running deepwood.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Kazuha being cool with Sara killing his brother isn't exactly squared away either but at least they try to explain it.

Everyone being cool with Childe is just weird. How is he great with kids even? We've seen how he lies to his own family about the nature of his work and dumps his lil brother on the traveler to take care of. :psyduck:

Got 36* with this team but man floor 12 was not easy.

Burgeon is good I like it. I never know who to throw in the filler slot for Hu Tao. I'm not giving up Yelan if I need her on another team. Some people use anemo but I don't want a hydo swirl and how on earth can I setup a pyro swirl before Hu Tao's rotation? Waste her burst so you can apply pyro in advance?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

I use it on hyperbloom teams. On EM Kuki or EM Raiden. Nahida running deepwood.
Sure, and it's definitely good there, but the new bloom set is a bit better. Not by a huge amount/worth refarming EM gob/hat.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Eimi posted:

As for Paimon, she's absolutely not the Sustainer. If she's connected to Celestia, she is a shard of Istaroth. Paimon can control time letting us freeze it and fast forward and notably she was fished out of the ocean at the Unknown Island which is a temple to Istaroth. As well Venti is inanely sus and the reason I think he has been constantly lying and manipulating the traveler is that he is himself a servant of Istaroth, given her status as the real god of old Mondstadt even before he was an archon. The other theory which has some weight and would be really tragic is that Paimon is the last seelie. Seelies existed to guide mankind, to teach them of the world. As well seelies were cursed because they fell in love with humans. Notably if you have done the ARanara questline there was another seelie survivor who came to live in the desert and befriended Greater Lord Rhukkadevata.

Re: Paimon: She also has a goetia name, like the archons, and she bears quite a resemblance to the Kiana-esque figure, the big scary god who sealed away the MC in the opening cutscene. That same god used some kind of protection/attack, and it bore a striking resemblance to the icons for the fates you use to wish- it's harder to see in stills, but here:

A big central bit with 'chains' around it leading to a star at the poles - only difference is, the god's has eight chains and the fates have six.

Paimon also has the four-pointed star on her, which is also used for primogems, and... well, I think it's worth reposting what I posted a while back:

...Oh poo poo, I didn't post it in here, it was in the previous thread. A moment.

edit: There we go. Re: Paimon:

John Lee posted:

I mean,

Further mad speculation:
Paimon is also supposedly especially loyal to Lucifer, and the main characters are canonically Aether and Lumine for the boy/girl respecively, and have an association with light. Plus, you know, that bit up there about Paimon having the minor ability to never drown, which is awfully suggestive given how the main character met her.

Double edit: and Re: Paimon definitely NOT being the Sustainer... well, who better to 'seal people away' for a long while or produce a messy, confusing timeline of events than a god of time? The Sustainer could easily be the god of time, who survived the attempted scouring, and Paimon would represent both concepts... (begins adding more notes to the corkboard)

John Lee fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 17, 2022

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

John Lee posted:

Re: Paimon: She also has a goetia name, like the archons, and she bears quite a resemblance to the Kiana-esque figure, the big scary god who sealed away the MC in the opening cutscene. That same god used some kind of protection/attack, and it bore a striking resemblance to the icons for the fates you use to wish- it's harder to see in stills, but here:

A big central bit with 'chains' around it leading to a star at the poles - only difference is, the god's has eight chains and the fates have six.

Paimon also has the four-pointed star on her, which is also used for primogems, and... well, I think it's worth reposting what I posted a while back:

...Oh poo poo, I didn't post it in here, it was in the previous thread. A moment.

edit: There we go. Re: Paimon:

Double edit: and Re: Paimon definitely NOT being the Sustainer... well, who better to 'seal people away' for a long while or produce a messy, confusing timeline of events than a god of time? The Sustainer could easily be the god of time, who survived the attempted scouring, and Paimon would represent both concepts... (begins adding more notes to the corkboard)

The Sustainer is 100% the Second Who Came/First Descender who took dominance of Celestia away from the Primordial One. Istaroth is one of the aspects of the Primordial One who governs time, in Enkanomiya her name is Kairos. You are right that Paimon's name is incredibly apropos and as a Goetic name implies she has a divine connection. The Seelies are not outside of that, some speculation is that they are connected to the Moon sisters, alternatively that the moon sisters could be the three non-Phanes shades of the Primordial one, including Istaroth. Their similar attire just says to me that Paimon and the Sustainer are both tied to Celestia.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I definitely don't think it can be as simple as "Paimon just is the Sustainer". It would be too easy. If that's not a straight-up red herring, there has to at least be another layer to it.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I was waffling if Paimon would be the final boss or no, but the Sumeru Archon quests and the Aranara quests in particular have me incredibly sure that Paimon is totally on our side, and if we do ever fight her, it will be because she's being controlled by something. She is the travelers friend through and through with no deception on her part. Enjou was just loving with us.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Yeah, she's not going anywhere. It would break the continuity of every sidequest in the game.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Eimi posted:

Their similar attire just says to me that Paimon and the Sustainer are both tied to Celestia.

Very valid, yeah, it could easily be that simple.

FractalSandwich posted:

I definitely don't think it can be as simple as "Paimon just is the Sustainer". It would be too easy. If that's not a straight-up red herring, there has to at least be another layer to it.

I agree, I think it's not going to be just "bwahaha, I tricked you, now die foolish mortal." Even if Paimon is deceptive, she's probably not presenting an entirely false face.

Eimi posted:

She is the travelers friend through and through with no deception on her part. Enjou was just loving with us.

Well, there WAS that story video from a while back where she deliberately steers the traveler away from their sibling who was just over a rise, IIRC before the sibling had appeared in the story at all.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

FractalSandwich posted:

Yeah, she's not going anywhere. It would break the continuity of every sidequest in the game.
It would be incredibly funny if Paimon did turn evil/leave the party and the game did the “x is currently busy with another quest” but for every single side quest in the game.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Eimi posted:

I was waffling if Paimon would be the final boss or no, but the Sumeru Archon quests and the Aranara quests in particular have me incredibly sure that Paimon is totally on our side, and if we do ever fight her, it will be because she's being controlled by something. She is the travelers friend through and through with no deception on her part. Enjou was just loving with us.

What if Paimon takes a killing blow for us, a heroic sacrifice? I could see her doing that

I have no idea how the rest of the game would work without her though. It certainly wouldn't be as easy as just cutting all of her lines because she speaks for us so drat much...

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
I'm fairly convinced that Paimon is a Seelie and the lore around the Seelie's curse will end up playing a role in what happens to Paimon.

Wild guess is that we'll need to reintegrate with Irminsul to save the world or the people of Teyvat. I say reintegrate because we may have been from Teyvat but were expunged similar to Rukkhadevata. This could end up leading to a choice where Paimon could become an empty husk like the Seelie's we see in the world.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It wouldn't really be possible. Too many hangouts and world quests with paimon around.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
She's also literally the menu system.

There's no way to remove her from the gameworld and have the general gameplay continue in any way that makes sense.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Tree Reformat posted:

There's no way to remove her from the gameworld and have the general gameplay continue in any way that makes sense.

Apparently if you put Paimon in your pot and open the menu she's not there anymore :doggo:

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Just went through Nilou's story quest. The way to make it entertaining is to assume the theater company is a Burlesque troupe and the Akademiya is trying to impose morality laws to stomp out what they consider obscenity.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Tree Reformat posted:

She's replaced by your sibling, who speaks and acts the exact same way

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Maxwells Demon posted:

Just went through Nilou's story quest. The way to make it entertaining is to assume the theater company is a Burlesque troupe and the Akademiya is trying to impose morality laws to stomp out what they consider obscenity.

The interesting thing about her story quest is that they were apparently so afraid of giving playable characters actual story arcs that they introduce another bland girl just so they could tell a story about something, anything.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Tanreall posted:

I'm fairly convinced that Paimon is a Seelie and the lore around the Seelie's curse will end up playing a role in what happens to Paimon.

Wild guess is that we'll need to reintegrate with Irminsul to save the world or the people of Teyvat. I say reintegrate because we may have been from Teyvat but were expunged similar to Rukkhadevata. This could end up leading to a choice where Paimon could become an empty husk like the Seelie's we see in the world.

My theory on that is that the secret of the world our twin is cryptic about is that we were originally from Teyvat before the Primordial One arrive and reorganized it. That is before Irminsul even existed. Which would be why it's still possible for our twin to be tied into it, and how we are just so able to easily wield the seven elements of this world with no training or experience. That the homeland our twin speaks of isn't exactly Khaenri'ah, but the twins home, their original world. It was Teyvat all along.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Clarste posted:

The interesting thing about her story quest is that they were apparently so afraid of giving playable characters actual story arcs that they introduce another bland girl just so they could tell a story about something, anything.

It sucks because the Summer Isles stuff about Fischl/Amy is like the first time we've learned of a character's motivations that were interesting and not part of the initial blurb we get from the character. Every other storyline for every other character is just a reinforcement of their one paragraph introduction.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face

No Wave posted:

It's decent. Good on quicken electros that don't need CD reduction like Miko/Fischl/Lisa. Like shime, sometimes it's top DPS, but usually not by a lot. Like shime, it can be broken up into a flexible 2 piece set to go with a standard boss drop (glad for shime, WT for gilded). But like shime it's not really worth making a big deal over outside of resin efficiency.

Basically, if gilded and bloomset switched places, I'd tell people that the one with the Scara set isn't worth farming if you don't have Scara.

Wait whats the bloomset named, anyway?

Edit: It's called fuckign "Flower of Paradise Lost" :laffo:

MoonCrab fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 17, 2022

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Still can't believe Mona actually makes hundreds of thousands of mora every month but spends so much on books and tools that she barely has 3000 on her whenever we happen to see her.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

RareAcumen posted:

Still can't believe Mona actually makes hundreds of thousands of mora every month but spends so much on books and tools that she barely has 3000 on her whenever we happen to see her.

shouldn't she run out of storage space, it's not like her apartment is that big

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
have you seen the prices of textbooks

e:
this is neat https://act.hoyolab.com/ys/event/bbs-lineup-ys-sea/index.html

Mihoyo added a new way to share team comps, complete with specifying weapons, artifact sets, and roles for each team.
It has separate sections for world exploration, with subcategories for each world boss and domain, and for spiral abyss, with subcategories for different sets of floors.
The #3 highest rated team for "spiral abyss level 1-5" right now is an all-5star all-signature-weapon team:

Better start swiping if you wanna defeat those level 20 slimes.

There's also an option to filter it to only show teams with characters you have, but it seems like it's broken on desktop and can only connect to your account properly on the mobile app?

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 17, 2022

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

Eimi posted:

My theory on that is that the secret of the world our twin is cryptic about is that we were originally from Teyvat before the Primordial One arrive and reorganized it. That is before Irminsul even existed. Which would be why it's still possible for our twin to be tied into it, and how we are just so able to easily wield the seven elements of this world with no training or experience. That the homeland our twin speaks of isn't exactly Khaenri'ah, but the twins home, their original world. It was Teyvat all along.

Is there some lore that ties Irminsul to the Primordial One? I know that the Primordial One came to Teyvat, shielded it from the universe, fought the Seven Sovereigns, and created the world we see today but I have no idea when Irminsul came into being. Is the fact that we have records of the Seven Sovereigns proof that Irminsul existed before the Primordial One came? I don't even know if this is the original Irminsul or if it's a branch of a previous one that has regrown.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Tanreall posted:

Is there some lore that ties Irminsul to the Primordial One? I know that the Primordial One came to Teyvat, shielded it from the universe, fought the Seven Sovereigns, and created the world we see today but I have no idea when Irminsul came into being. Is the fact that we have records of the Seven Sovereigns proof that Irminsul existed before the Primordial One came? I don't even know if this is the original Irminsul or if it's a branch of a previous one that has regrown.

Honestly that just feels like speculation. We know the Primordial One reorganized the world and gave it the shape it has now. It's possible Irminsul existed beforehand, but I think it would fit with the story that it didn't. It's a record of the world and the record starts with the Primordial One, at least from what we know thus far, so makes sense that Irminsul was grown by the Primordial One. But that is just a guess. The fact that Irminsul is able to be edited and messed with is a rabbit hole I don't want to go down because that quickly leads to madness. Maybe that's what forbidden knowledge is. :v:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

AND THEN TEYVAT WAS EARTH ALL ALONG

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

and you wake up and it was all a dream

coming 2023

Genshin Impact 2

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Nyaawn posted:

AND THEN TEYVAT WAS EARTH ALL ALONG

Teyvat means boat, but more specifically, ark and of course Project Ark from Honkai launched a ship into space. :tinfoil:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Eimi posted:

Teyvat means boat, but more specifically, ark and of course Project Ark from Honkai launched a ship into space. :tinfoil:

so Genshin is a stealth Book of the Long Sun adaptation?

Kale
May 14, 2010

Looks like Nahida passed Raiden/Kokomi for best selling banner in the history of China IOS. Really didn't think it was possible given how popular Raiden was and how much Kokomi's stock has risen since she debuted on top of having 3 more days, but goddamn man China has no chill when it comes to this game. There's still one more day to potentially pass the Ayaka double banner, but that's really not necessary, by all rational metrics the radish takes it. I guess the challenge is there for Mihoyo possibly to come up with something for the Hydro Archon that can continue the trend. Not willing to bet on that one either way at this stage.

As for the game itself, been getting some headway into Act IV and continuing to love just about every scene with Dehya in it. She just sort of stands out a bit from the rest of the female cast of Sumeru who for the most part have been ultra likeable nice girls outside of Dori who feels almost like an ironic gap moe character. It's almost like an even gruffer Eula, but with the opposite background where instead of coming from some ultra aristocratic family that used to call the shots she's a desert dweller mercenary clearly looking for a better life than what she's grown up with and seems to have found it with Dunyazard. I also like the way Ayaka Fukuhara is doing her Japanese voice too. Again just kind of gruff yet still distinctly feminine at the end of the day. Cyno is also starting to grow on me a bit too with his chippy Gundam protagonist vibe. Candace wasn't what I expected right out of the gate, but it's quickly apparent that she's got a whole sort of predominantly maternal village "Onee-San" thing going on with a thinly hidden sadistic streak. I kind of expected to have a more queenly personality with a "get the heck out of my village outsider" no-nonsense attitude, but it's the exact opposite and she sticks up for the outsiders, just not the trouble makers, which includes those from her own flock. Also she doesn't seem at all amused by pro-Deshret extremism despite apparently being his descendant.

Al-Haitham is like a complete enigma too me still. He has a cool design and all, but I'm still not sure where I stand on him even after 4 chapters. The guys lied to the traveler and friends a few times though already I've noticed and keeps disappearing though always coming back with what seems to be a plausible enough reason and usually with some sort of new lead that's helpful. Again really hard to read enigmatic character, though maybe that's exactly what they are going for.

Anyway my theory for the above discussion based on what I've learned about the lore so far is that: The Abyss realms like Enkanomiya, The Chasm and Khaen'riah with the ancient civilizations and what not are actually the real original planned world the Primordial one had envisioned for the Seelies who were the Primordial One's original chosen race before regressing into their current wispy form. Then some time after the Second Who Came and Celestia apparently came around to enforce their will and the mysterious events that lead to the demise of 2 of the three moons and the Seelie's era, the current Teyvat was somehow built on top of the Primordial ones world and subjected to Celestia's laws and edict and despite all appearances is the actual corrupted fake world that has supplanted the real one which has since fallen into decay after being relegated to being the "Abyss", which just looks like a decayed corrupted realm because of Celestia and the Second who cames actions. After this perhaps just so much time has passed and Celestia has buried the true history of the world so decisively but for the odd surviving records of that the traveler has come across from time to time that nobody is aware of it anymore including the current incarnations of humans.

Kale fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Kale posted:

Looks like Nahida passed Raiden/Kokomi for best selling banner in the history of China IOS. Really didn't think it was possible given how popular Raiden was and how much Kokomi's stock has risen since she debuted on top of having 3 more days, but goddamn man China has no chill when it comes to this game. There's still one more day to potentially pass the Ayaka double banner, but that's really not necessary, by all rational metrics the radish takes it. I guess the challenge is there for Mihoyo possibly to come up with something for the Hydro Archon that can continue the trend. Not willing to bet on that one either way at this stage.

it'll be hard, Nahida is basically personal friends with us in a way none of the other archons are