Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

wtf is that tank supposed to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

BrotherJayne posted:

excuse me but I don't see a coaxial machine gun; that is a tank destroyer

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

my body is ready for company of heroes 3 :pray:

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

however, whermacht is for LOW APM scrubs who can't micro :smuggo:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Marzzle posted:

my body is ready for company of heroes 3 :pray:

Can't wait to see how they manage to make the Eastern Front even dumber than 2

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

how is the WEF connection supposed to make this even more sinister. Klaus Schwab probably has a smaller bodycount than any of the other participants, except maybe Bankman-Fried.

Accenture's business model is helping businesses lay people off. they are already evil!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

BrotherJayne posted:

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

StashAugustine posted:

There will be two campaigns, Italy and Africa so it will be the different type of dumb.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol no soviets at all??

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

i say swears online posted:

lol no soviets at all??

they are in a co-op horde mode as enemy NPCs

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Well 1 was just Normandy and 2 was initially just Russia until they added the other factions by DLC so I assume they'll be in a year or two

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

iCe-CuBe. posted:

Im sorry, but Article 5 says we have to invade Ukraine now. I dont want to do it but thats just the way it is, the law is the law.

I'll be forming a volunteer goon battalion for the liberation of Budjak. Any takers, hopefully someone with a pickup or RV?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

mawarannahr posted:

lmao.

I played the demo of coh as a child. was it ever any good?

don't let the canadian company fool you. Its an incredibly good game.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Company of Eh-roes

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

mlmp08 posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/17/europe/mh17-trial-verdict-intl/index.html

3 dudes found guilty of shooting down MH-17 by a Dutch court. A fourth man acquitted.

"The court found that there was insufficient evidence to determine who launched the Buk missile,"

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/MayaSashenka/status/1593313859644833797

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

are you a rewards member, stalker?

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

StashAugustine posted:

I will prob never play a CoH campaign, I just do pvp and pve with friends. I get really annoyed when you can't build everything in the campaigns, feels like you're missing an arm/leg/etc

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

heard the campaigns are plenty problematic but I can't really bring myself to care much about ethics in imaginary games at all :shrug:. slap a pol pot khmer faction into civ 7 idgaf

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Exactly 50 years ago today, on "Black Saturday," the climax of the Cuban Missile Crisis, Fidel Castro sent a cable to Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev calling on him to fire nuclear missiles on Washington, D.C., New York, and other American cities with a warhead 60 times more powerful than the bomb dropped on Hiroshima

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

https://twitter.com/zevshalev/status/1593011063435689984?s=46&t=qRE5bXe930OFnANJywmIKg

is there no depths those sick fucks won’t plumb…

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I'm curious how they handle the RSI, Italian Co-Belligerants and Partisans. True story, 16th SS Panzergrenadier, the only large German SS formation to fight in Italy, spent their entire time in theatre committing warcrimes rather than opposing the Allies. Similarly, the first significant SS formation in Italy, whose name escapes me at the moment (A Brigade or Regiment?), was only used to rush to Rome after the Armistice in September 1943. The Germans raised several SS units comprised of Italians, who similarly did not really fight on the Gothic Line so much as terrorize the Italian population.

Nearly all of these people were allowed to get away after the war https://www.timesofisrael.com/after-killing-hundreds-of-italian-civilians-a-brutal-ss-division-evaded-justice/

e: I think it may have been Reichsführer-SS Brigade, but I would need to read more on Operation Achse, Germany's invasion of Italy.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 22:34 on Nov 17, 2022

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

the most important thing for me in CoH3 is that the german afrikorps seem like they're gonna be the soviet analogue. I love the zergier playstyle because that was my starcraft faction > imperium of man (dawn of war, basically prototype CoH) > soviets in coh2. creating kill boxes with zis-3 76mm and whatever MGs my conscript can steal from the enemy is my fave bit of the game and doubly so because you can just move your lines around while whermact etc get bogged down with static defensive structures

Marzzle has issued a correction as of 22:36 on Nov 17, 2022

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Z Library… what a coincidence, and named years earlier.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Marzzle posted:

the most important thing for me in CoH3 is that the german afrikorps seem like they're gonna be the soviet analogue. I love the zergier playstyle because that was my starcraft faction > imperium of man (dawn of war, basically prototype CoH) > soviets in coh2

How does that track? They were pretty hard up for personnel replacements almost from the onset. You'd think maybe the Italians or something, but Afrika Korps?

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

To me it seems like AK is supposed to be like OBKW in CoH2, a mobile mechanized force. Supposedly AK can request Italian troops as well.

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum
My guess is in CoH3 the sexy lady partisan who stands in for all partisans will wear a red beret and talk about her love for freeing the land from German oppression and restoring her beloved King Victor Emmanuel III to rulership.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Frosted Flake posted:

How does that track? They were pretty hard up for personnel replacements almost from the onset. You'd think maybe the Italians or something, but Afrika Korps?

probably won't know until it comes out but afrikorps is the closest description to the soviets "high speed/high casualties" faction I can see so far from marketing materials (surely marketing wouldn't misrepresent anything :ohdear:). I would say CoH isn't that realistic in the first place

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

BrotherJayne posted:

It's a stug 4

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

Don't threaten me with a good time

rural agrarian society, but with GUNS

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

for instance: if you can micro like 3 conscript squads with ppsh-41 (some soviet sub machine gun sorta like the thompson "chicago typewriter" style gun) then they can easily overcome a line of MG teams. in reality they'd probably all be chopped to bits by a single MG team well before they could flank them

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the most important weapon in war is actually ideas

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

the worst AI commander to fight in coh2 is one with an ability to do "propaganda pamphlets" which is basically a UNLIMITED RANGE AoE attack that make any non-mechanized unit retreat to your home base. the AI does them with lightning quick reactions to gently caress you over constantly and it's a huge headache

I think it's this one

Marzzle has issued a correction as of 22:52 on Nov 17, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

mawarannahr posted:

Z Library… what a coincidence, and named years earlier.

Z library
Z Germans

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Marzzle posted:

for instance: if you can micro like 3 conscript squads with ppsh-41 (some soviet sub machine gun sorta like the thompson "chicago typewriter" style gun) then they can easily overcome a line of MG teams. in reality they'd probably all be chopped to bits by a single MG team well before they could flank them

The way company of heroes works is that most weapons maximum ranges are within the bounds of game's default camera. If you zoom down to the ground and angle the camera horizontal, you will see that these distances are like 60m tops. Guys which can obviously see other soldiers coming down the road are unable to shoot them. Tanks are even blinder. Oh well, the game would be incoherent if they had realistic shooting distances.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I don't understand how people manage to actually fight in wars with guns

A couple months ago I did paintball for the first time, and those projectiles can at least sorta be seen/dodged from longer ranges, and I still just hid behind things constantly to avoid being hit (this changed later, but only because I realized the paintballs don't hurt very much*). The idea of just randomly suffering immense physical trauma/death from one of the countless bullets flying around is just horrifying - every time you step out of cover you're just rolling the dice.

* they create bizarrely big bruises, though. I was hit on both legs, and it barely hurt (just felt like someone flicking my thighs with their finger or something), but I ended up with these huge bruises that sorta drained behind my knees and took almost a full month to disappear

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Yeah I still think Russia giving up Crimea is insane talk and Ukraine getting the idea that they have a real shot at it is dangerous as hell...which makes it particularly bad that Zelensky's in a position where he may not be able to give up on that goal without something catastrophic happening. Backing off the idea of reclaiming it militarily is something the West seems to recognize needs to happen (if nothing else to provide cover for Zelensky if it comes to a point where he might need it), but for every statement that inches toward that you get a few more saying it's up to the Ukrainians when and how they should negotiate, even though they obviously can't do anything without Western support.

Yeah. A Ukrainian Crimea is simply not possible, any potential peace must disavow it at least contingently

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Nonsense posted:

Orcish tactics are defeated by mud.

But Orcs are made from mud??

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Ytlaya posted:

I don't understand how people manage to actually fight in wars with guns

A couple months ago I did paintball for the first time, and those projectiles can at least sorta be seen/dodged from longer ranges, and I still just hid behind things constantly to avoid being hit (this changed later, but only because I realized the paintballs don't hurt very much*). The idea of just randomly suffering immense physical trauma/death from one of the countless bullets flying around is just horrifying - every time you step out of cover you're just rolling the dice.

* they create bizarrely big bruises, though. I was hit on both legs, and it barely hurt (just felt like someone flicking my thighs with their finger or something), but I ended up with these huge bruises that sorta drained behind my knees and took almost a full month to disappear

the welts aren't too bad if you wear thicker clothing but nothing is going to stop them from being a bloody mess if you get blasted at point blank range by a .68 caliber ball of paint moving at 300fps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Hmm