Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Fuckin' extreme buyer's remorse after paying through the nose for a pandemic GPU only for them to release a new DLSS that only supports the new new cards a few months later :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

explosivo posted:

Fuckin' extreme buyer's remorse after paying through the nose for a pandemic GPU only for them to release a new DLSS that only supports the new new cards a few months later :smith:

Dude my 2080 Super died during the height of the pandemic/GPU price spike. I met someone in a parking lot to buy a new 3070. I'm not going to mention how much I paid for it.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Hooolyyyyy poo poo this game has a really great world building and introductory sequence that hypes you the gently caress up lol

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Kaddish posted:

That seems like something that would be close to impossible without asking your team no? The only instance I can think of where that would work sort of naturally is if everyone else is down.

Pretty much, yeah. But for what it's worth, those particular challenges all seem to be the sort that you dedicate an entire run to (or several, depending on your luck), and in return unlock fairly fancy clothes. The Zealot got one where they can't use their ranged weapon ever, the sharpshooter got one where they must have 100% accuracy and use up all their ammo (both in the higher difficulties), and so on.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

explosivo posted:

lol I didn't realize it was only for 4000 series cards. I recently built a new PC with a 3080, thankfully the price wasn't too exorbitant. I don't regret it because the price of 4000 cards is still ridiculous.

Orv
May 4, 2011
As usual with Nvidia stuff there's already a workaround to use DLSS 3 on older RTX cards, though I dunno if they've tried to lock it out yet.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i didn't even realize the 4000 series was launched yet

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Orv posted:

As usual with Nvidia stuff there's already a workaround to use DLSS 3 on older RTX cards, though I dunno if they've tried to lock it out yet.

Oh really? I actually had no idea that it was possible to do that.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Introductory experience is a huge improvement over the beta, the lil prologue does a great job of getting you hype to exterminate some heretics.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
This runs surprisingly well. Like its not butter smooth but its more than playable, using the last Nvidia drivers with a 3070 and i7700k. No raytracing or DLSS

Also which female voice for the zealot is it that does the "for the master of mankind!" line on ult, is it Agitator?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Anyone know if it's possible to change stuff like your face or voice after making a character? My dude looks weird in a way that I didn't intend to and think I would prefer a different voice. I can just make a new guy since i'm still so early on but didn't know if something opened up to let you customize that stuff eventually.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

explosivo posted:

Anyone know if it's possible to change stuff like your face or voice after making a character? My dude looks weird in a way that I didn't intend to and think I would prefer a different voice. I can just make a new guy since i'm still so early on but didn't know if something opened up to let you customize that stuff eventually.

Theres a barber/chirurgeon in the hub but it doesn't seem to be active in beta, so I'm guessing yes, but not right now

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I played the beta with a Ryzen 5 1600 (which is less powerful than the minimum spec) 32GB RAM and a gtx 1070 and it was fine, I didn't set anything to low and I didn't notice any stuttering

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 17, 2022

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Fishstick posted:

Theres a barber/chirurgeon in the hub but it doesn't seem to be active in beta, so I'm guessing yes, but not right now

Okay cool, thanks! I might just stick it out then. Esp if our data might get wiped at some point anyway.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Oh drat, some of these outdoor levels are very pretty. It's weird/cool how the game really makes you appreciate being able to see the sun after a few runs in the underhive.

Orv
May 4, 2011

explosivo posted:

Oh really? I actually had no idea that it was possible to do that.

Yeah it was just an ini edit IIRC, I haven't super looked into it. Might also be bullshit. :shrug:

Orv fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 17, 2022

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Cowcaster posted:

i didn't even realize the 4000 series was launched yet

Only the 4080 for $1,200.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

The 4090 has been out for a few weeks too. There has been a huge thing with it's power cables burning.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Fingat posted:

The 4090 has been out for a few weeks too. There has been a huge thing with it's power cables burning.

Oh yeah. My mind just blanks out the xx90 series cards because those are insane purchases

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Al-Saqr posted:

Hooolyyyyy poo poo this game has a really great world building and introductory sequence that hypes you the gently caress up lol

Yea just wanted to come and say this because I've been loosely following this game but mainly just hyped for it to release. I was thinking of not even playing the beta and just wait for the full release but decided to give it a go and gosh, this is the 40k game I've been waiting for.

The entire intro experience, all the voice acting, the production design choices and cutscenes have all been absolutely stellar. The music is great !

The entire prologue sequence looks sick as gently caress, the environment is just massively cool and the enemies and allies all look great. I loved the bit with the Inquisitor using a janky rear end servitor with the hologram face to speak with the voice modulation changing depending on the face. Very loving cool.

Even the training is fun with the psychanium or whatever. It all just looks bonkers good.

Very hype to actually start playing.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Propaganda Hour posted:

Only the 4080 for $1,200.

The 4090 came out a month ago for 1500 dollars, a bargain!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's so good.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

My computer is really struggling on low, buts it's like 5 years old or so

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
I had my inverted mouse and increased sensitivity reset partway through the prologue, crashed in the intro cutscene meeting the Inquisitor and just crashed partway in my first proper mission. Still better than I expected for the first evening of prelaunch beta!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I did just crash at the end of a mission while waiting for my team to board the dropship. Saaaad.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

After my first real game I think I've upgraded this to "Runs mostly pretty well (for me) as long as you (I) don't use the ray tracing stuff"

Also important to note; the ol' Fatshark revive trick is at play in this game too. If you're reviving someone, hold block as you're doing it. It won't look like it but you will be blocking attacks as you revive that person.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Crashing almost every mission and crashed twice back to back within seconds of loading back in in a boss fight. Very tired of this between MW2 and this.

Runs great otherwise.

uncalled for!
Dec 26, 2006

explosivo posted:

After my first real game I think I've upgraded this to "Runs mostly pretty well (for me) as long as you (I) don't use the ray tracing stuff"

Also important to note; the ol' Fatshark revive trick is at play in this game too. If you're reviving someone, hold block as you're doing it. It won't look like it but you will be blocking attacks as you revive that person.

does the trick still work? I'd love if that were the case, I could've sworn guys kept hitting me through my block while I was reviving teammates during the earlier beta

uncalled for! fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 17, 2022

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

didn't they eventually update vermintide 2 where blocking while reviving just was the default behavior? kind of weird that it regressed going to darktide if so

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Really? you find it kind of weird that anything would regress in a fatshark game?

Really?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Just had a reboot mid-match. At least it happened toward the beginning. I also experienced crashes in the closes beta but never a reboot. \

I actually can't remember the last time a game caused a reboot actually.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

so uh, am i gonna get equipment or something to make head-exploding actually worth doing for reasons other than the aesthetic, or...?

(e) also is there a way to specifically lock it onto i.e. the charging flamethrower dude instead of the lemming 50 meters behind it

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 18, 2022

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

explosivo posted:

The new DLSS3 introduces input lag that is noticeable. You’re not missing out.

Ciaphas posted:

so uh, am i gonna get equipment or something to make head-exploding actually worth doing for reasons other than the aesthetic, or...?

It’s super worth it even though you get two pops before overheat. Being able to kill things regardless of them breaking LOS is huge. You can make dogs and bombers a non issue. You can pick big guys out of crowds and boom, done. It’s still hugely valuable and it seems like your peril outside of combat goes down much more quickly and after a shorter cooldown. I haven’t had a ton of reasons to quell.

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 18, 2022

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Only just started character creation but they already said the line.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

have you checked out the skill tree? just by default every head you completely pop gives you a stack of damage boosting for 25 seconds, up to 4. not to mention the fact you have an autoaim through walls special delete button. and then skills can enhance that.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Cowcaster posted:

have you checked out the skill tree? just by default every head you completely pop gives you a stack of damage boosting for 25 seconds, up to 4. not to mention the fact you have an autoaim through walls special delete button. and then skills can enhance that.

i won't lie, i didn't see the Feats menu and forgot about the damage passive :eng99:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Watched the PC Gaming Show trailer earlier and I'm really liking the current trend of 40K games going all in with techno music and distortion. I love Doyle Donehoo's 40K music a lot but it's nice seeing 40K embrace more of its AD2000 roots and get a good bit of punk flavouring in there.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
I have to go to bed but I don't want tooooo :(

5 missions completed, 1 failed, still no staff for my psyker but I am absolutely thoroughly enjoying myself! I might even "have a sore throat and a light fever" tomorrow and my students can do revision questions without me babysitting them...

performance mostly fine but even with a 3080 and a new-ish ryzen I had to turn some of the fancier stuff down, turning off lens flare on all lights made a pretty big cpu difference (just like the blog post said) and I can't say it made much difference visually

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Cowcaster posted:

didn't they eventually update vermintide 2 where blocking while reviving just was the default behavior? kind of weird that it regressed going to darktide if so

Oh that would be funny if so because I just do it instinctually every time I revive someone now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Martout posted:

performance mostly fine but even with a 3080 and a new-ish ryzen I had to turn some of the fancier stuff down, turning off lens flare on all lights made a pretty big cpu difference (just like the blog post said) and I can't say it made much difference visually

If anyone has more tips like this... help. I don't need it to look good but my framerate is straight chunky. Not gonna be able to afford pc upgrades for like... years.