Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
after watching way too many hapax, metropolix, pyramid, hermod medias, I think I've settled on a rene v2 as a next thing. Which will take me at least a couple weeks to be able to pull the trigger on, maybe I just wrap it up and put it under the tree for myself since my wife has given up on trying to get me "toys" :laugh:

feeling like a tempe might be a nice addon to that next, but then I want to spend the spring filling my now empty niftycase with AfterLater stuff, probably including an o_C as a brain so that'll be my foray into o_C as well as that sweet looking coco system.

good thing my system has a brain, I clearly don't. I justify this by reminding myself how much vastly more I spend on child expenses and saving for a retirement I don't even believe is possible, than I do on this poo poo, so that's something? I bet there's functional heroin addict dads that say the same thing, also, a Rene v2's cost worth of heroin woulda lasted even Bubbles from The Wire like a full month.

edit: this doesn't mean I don't also want a hapax, a hermod and a metropolix. That's just Later On problems Later, after After Later, if you see what I did there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Which will take me at least a couple weeks to be able to pull the trigger on, maybe I just wrap it up and put it under the tree for myself since my wife has given up on trying to get me "toys" :laugh:

My partner likes the music I make with my eurorack, but she doesn't understand what anything actually does. However it's fun to get unexpected gifts of Eurorack stuff, so she handles it two ways: I keep a list of modules I'm interested in and simple descriptions of what they do, but she also just goes to the local Eurorack shop with my modulargrid rack pulled up, and has the people there recommend things. She's also done some deep searching online, she knew I really like video synthesizer stuff, and somehow found + ordered me the Sleepy Hypno before I had even heard of it.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Chainclaw posted:

My partner likes the music I make with my eurorack, but she doesn't understand what anything actually does. However it's fun to get unexpected gifts of Eurorack stuff, so she handles it two ways: I keep a list of modules I'm interested in and simple descriptions of what they do, but she also just goes to the local Eurorack shop with my modulargrid rack pulled up, and has the people there recommend things. She's also done some deep searching online, she knew I really like video synthesizer stuff, and somehow found + ordered me the Sleepy Hypno before I had even heard of it.

My partner remembers the things I gush and obsess over and has bought them for me as gifts a few times :shobon: She's the one who got me into soldering and DIYing modules as well!

Chainclaw posted:

video synthesizer stuff

I'm very curious about this but I don't need another expensive hobby :v:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

well my yamaha 4 track cassette recorder arrived from japan. its super clean but I can't get the FF/RW buttons to engage. They just pop back up. Maybe I just don't know how to use it its been like 20 years since i touched a tape deck

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

RocketMermaid posted:

My partner remembers the things I gush and obsess over and has bought them for me as gifts a few times :shobon: She's the one who got me into soldering and DIYing modules as well!

I'm very curious about this but I don't need another expensive hobby :v:

I'm doing a lot of dumb poo poo with video synths, but I'm still getting my setup figured out.

I feel like video synths really add to the audio synth experience, especially if you're playing music for other people, it gives people something to look at.

Here's one experimentation with video synths, with an overlay explaining what's plugged into what. My intent was to play some Mario World romhacks with dumb poo poo going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MEN1vBduM4

Here's some gameplay of that Mario World romhack with some of that dumb poo poo going on. I really liked that the delay of all the other bullshit + using a blending overlay gave the effect of a second player chasing the first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kwKipFvk2w

Here's my Eurorack going through some of it, no video games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvQpPc7CW7M

This video I've written some code that reads midi events from the OP-Z and changes memory addresses on the connected Super Nintendo, to make things change color, plus two of my video synths hooked up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU98J9jlY2A

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Ok I took the thing apart and one of the belts has basically melted. Maybe it intersected with all this grease they got in here. Going to order a belt kit

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

A MIRACLE posted:

Ok I took the thing apart and one of the belts has basically melted. Maybe it intersected with all this grease they got in here. Going to order a belt kit

Yeah melty belts is a super common thing with old tape decks (and floppy drives) and its just what happens to the rubber after a few years regardless.

You also want to check the rubber rollers and make sure they arent sticky otherwise they will give you issues esp since certain ones can be in contact with the tape strip.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Thanks. The roller seems ok but there’s a replacement on the way as part of the kit I orderd

all said with shipping from japan and new belts this is still going to be half as expensive as the cheapest one I can find on reverb. its super clean, like new and I think has just been stored in the carrying case for 20 years. bought it on a japanese ebay type website, and then an intermediary handled shipping. Im gonna see what other 90s japanese crap priceless artifacts I can buy on there

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 17, 2022

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Get it fixed and do stuff like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNG59JOmyJQ

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

new belts are shipped already, shouldnt be long now

right now plan is to do more trip hop style shiz, my first use is going to be recording some of my syntakt sequences at hi tempo and then pitching it down to the actual tempo before layering more instruments in logic or something. Might play with using it as a master stage and leaving the cassette out in the sun for an afternoon. basic bitch hipster stuff mostly

I think i'll end up with an SP 404 2 for xmas but we'll see I haven't ordered it yet

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
So I see the Syntakt is on sale -- $200 off for I presume some holiday special. And I guess Electron square boxes have gone up in price recently, and maybe the Syntakt costs more than the DN and DT anyway, but does it normally list for $1K USD?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

yeah, the syntakt has some analog bits in it which i guess inflates the price over the other units in that form factor. its a decent little drum machine so far but I'm not in love with it yet. I installed the song mode update which is making me like it a lot more

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Hi thread. I've been fascinated by synthesizers for ages and although I can't play piano (or any instrument) and have no technical knowhow, Mom I Want to Twist the Knobs.

I am poor, so I would like to start small and simple, just to see if it's for me. For some reason I am drawn toward the Korg Monotribe Analog Ribbon. I like that it makes cool sounds and has what looks like a super rudimentary mixer. Compared to other devices, it looks simple and I see one selling for $130 on Craigslist nearby.

That said, I inherited an ancient Nord Lead from a cool neighbor. It may have a missing key but last I tried it, it worked. But I haven't touched it in ages. It's just too intimidating, like trying to learn two instruments simultaneously. But then I remembered, it has a rudimentary mixer of its own.

So I guess I was wondering, does anyone have any tips or resources for ultra-dummies? Errant thoughts? Would the Monotribe play nicely with the Nord? Would I even need it? Anyway, thanks, I'm gonna go back and read the last 100 pages. This poo poo is intoxicating.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Hi thread. I've been fascinated by synthesizers for ages and although I can't play piano (or any instrument) and have no technical knowhow, Mom I Want to Twist the Knobs.

I am poor, so I would like to start small and simple, just to see if it's for me. For some reason I am drawn toward the Korg Monotribe Analog Ribbon. I like that it makes cool sounds and has what looks like a super rudimentary mixer. Compared to other devices, it looks simple and I see one selling for $130 on Craigslist nearby.

That said, I inherited an ancient Nord Lead from a cool neighbor. It may have a missing key but last I tried it, it worked. But I haven't touched it in ages. It's just too intimidating, like trying to learn two instruments simultaneously. But then I remembered, it has a rudimentary mixer of its own.

So I guess I was wondering, does anyone have any tips or resources for ultra-dummies? Errant thoughts? Would the Monotribe play nicely with the Nord? Would I even need it? Anyway, thanks, I'm gonna go back and read the last 100 pages. This poo poo is intoxicating.

If money is an object, don't spend anything until you've figured out how to do it on the Nord or why it can't be done. That thing is super deep and you can record full albums of pretty much any style just multi-track recording it.

There's a whole entire industry of gearmakers trying to convince you you don't have everything you need for whatever your goals are in that box, and the most valuable thing you can do as a beginner is ignore them and just focus on the extremely good poo poo you already have. Maybe even repairing it, as this is an incredible skill for the budget-minded synthesist.

Monotribe ribbon is cool and there's some stuff that was even more exciting before it got more roundly cloned in Eurorack (wanna say the filter is kinda special? off the top of my head) but it's a PITA to integrate and sonically, harder than a lot of comparable things, and frankly if you're not sure you need the special filter the correct advice is to tell you to just spend more time w/ your kick rear end second-hand Nord

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Yo free nord lead is everything. Fix the keybed or chop it, eventually, that’s a score.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Wilkins Micawber posted:

I would fix that Nord Lead. It’s still a highly regarded synth.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Wilkins Micawber posted:

So I guess I was wondering, does anyone have any tips or resources for ultra-dummies?

Get that Nord fixed. I think it uses a Fatar keybed and not one of the fancy ones either. https://syntaur.com/keys.php?key=K07U should work but ask them just in case.

Then, check https://learningsynths.ableton.com/ and https://www.syntorial.com/.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Yeah, nthing fixing up that Nord, those things are incredible machines. By the time you find out what you want it can't do, you'll have a solid grasp of synthesis altogether.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

A MIRACLE posted:

Thanks. The roller seems ok but there’s a replacement on the way as part of the kit I orderd

all said with shipping from japan and new belts this is still going to be half as expensive as the cheapest one I can find on reverb. its super clean, like new and I think has just been stored in the carrying case for 20 years. bought it on a japanese ebay type website, and then an intermediary handled shipping. Im gonna see what other 90s japanese crap priceless artifacts I can buy on there

You can buy almost any music tech box ever made at a discount if you are willing to get it from Japan. Never understood that. But I figure it has something to do with the amazing number of hep people over there.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

surge is one of the best vst synths and it is free. reaper was $60 last I checked, but they'll let you roll with a demo license

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Voice of Labor posted:

surge is one of the best vst synths and it is free. reaper was $60 last I checked, but they'll let you roll with a demo license

Bespoke is worth a look too and 100% free. Not really a DAW.. it can function as one technically but it's more of a canvas for gluing VST's together and making horrible noises.

So yeah, find a bunch of free VST's while waiting for parts to fix your keyboard and have fun.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Or if you're like me, and not into arranging, playing keys, or messing around with a piano roll, but want to make sounds and patch, and twiddle the knobs, have a look at vcv rack. It's free too.
It can be overwhelming to start. But don't approach it as needing to learn what it all does at once.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
This is so cool, I'm honestly elated to hear! I knew that thing was a gem. (you wouldn't believe the other rack mount stuff I had inherited from my neighbor's recently flooded basement, but gave up.)

I think it's one of the older Nords, probably has some kind of diskettes or something, just to clarify. Probably wanna clean it up, get a headphone adapter. Hopefully I can hook it up to our receive. Maybe I can even fix the keys. Thank you for the keybed link btw! And for the tutorials

Oh yeah I don't really have a computer-computer right now. Closest thing would be an old Chromebook that is probably dead, or my steam deck. So for now I guess this will be a computer-less affair. :)

JockstrapManthrust
Apr 30, 2013
That Model D update in cherry wood is certainly making me chubb up. Just not the price.

https://www.moogmusic.com/news/one-and-only-minimoog-model-d-returns

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

JockstrapManthrust posted:

That Model D update in cherry wood is certainly making me chubb up. Just not the price.

Well you can just chub back down then, buddy

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
When they butter you up with "Built to last a lifetime" you can assume it's going to take a good chunk of a lifetime to pay it off.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I got a Model D on my ipad and it only cost $15. :v:

It's a cpu hog though.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Really enjoying this Pigments, it's on sale and I finally went for it. It is such a big, complex thing that I haven't even begun to learn my way around it yet.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

JockstrapManthrust posted:

Five thousand dollarydoos?!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Rolo posted:

Five thousand dollarydoos?!

We talkin Moog baby

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

petit choux posted:

Really enjoying this Pigments, it's on sale and I finally went for it. It is such a big, complex thing that I haven't even begun to learn my way around it yet.

I've had this since the last sale and I don't think I've listened to all the built in presets yet, even. It's huge.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Pigments has always been so fun. Really affordable for what you get.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Wilkins Micawber posted:

I think it's one of the older Nords, probably has some kind of diskettes or something, just to clarify.

It's the very first Nord Lead because the others are suffixed with a number. Check if it has 4 or 12 voices - in the latter case, big congrats, because that's a real score.

Disk drives were more of a sampler/workstation thing.

Nords use PCMCIA cards to store presets. See https://www.norduserforum.com/nord-lead-rack-forum-f12/pcmcia-card-for-nord-lead-1-t7810.html . Originally it only has like 50 or so that can be overwritten by users.

It is not a super deep synth so with sufficient practice you can get quickly to lots of sounds. Plus, with a sysex librarian you can store and retrieve anything. See https://f0f7.net/fe/#/SysexLibrarian

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
Gracias! Yes it does have the PCMIA slot, and it looks empty.

Coincidentally, I had an ex who also had a Nord, maybe a Nord 2? She idolized some music guy, I think maybe the guy from The Killers. And she never learned to play it either. Anyway, I got a headphone adapter, hit it with some armor all wipes, some lens cleaning wipes, and it has been partially restored to its former glory. Cat does not approve.

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3
Are there any other late 90s/early 2000s boxes that are like the QY100/QY70, in that they're basically little standalone grooveboxes but have that "actually trying to sound like musical instruments, kinda" vibe? I really, really my QY100, but if there's anything similar that's slightly more modern (ie can take SD cards, has a backlit screen), I'd love to know. Or really, any kind of cool little synth from that era, bc apparently they are extremely my jam.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Coincidentally, I had an ex who also had a Nord, maybe a Nord 2? She idolized some music guy, I think maybe the guy from The Killers. And she never learned to play it either. Anyway, I got a headphone adapter, hit it with some armor all wipes, some lens cleaning wipes, and it has been partially restored to its former glory. Cat does not approve.

Julia Holter tours with a Nord, but she knows how to play it (also she rules, everybody ITT should listen to her)

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

HELLO LADIES posted:

Are there any other late 90s/early 2000s boxes that are like the QY100/QY70, in that they're basically little standalone grooveboxes but have that "actually trying to sound like musical instruments, kinda" vibe? I really, really my QY100, but if there's anything similar that's slightly more modern (ie can take SD cards, has a backlit screen), I'd love to know. Or really, any kind of cool little synth from that era, bc apparently they are extremely my jam.

Maybe look at the Yamaha MU series, for one. Not as portable, not standalone, but a lot more voices. Roland also made a few real good ones like that, not quite as portable but still pretty compact.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I bought a Pamela's New Workout in August and now I get an email that there's a new version - Pamela's Pro Workout.

All gear is poo poo, Hail Satan! :homebrew:

I don't actually care that much, it's just mildly annoying.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I bought a Pamela's New Workout in August and now I get an email that there's a new version - Pamela's Pro Workout.

All gear is poo poo, Hail Satan! :homebrew:

I don't actually care that much, it's just mildly annoying.

I keep getting a creeping suspicion the machines are controlling the people ITT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Oh yeah I don't really have a computer-computer right now. Closest thing would be an old Chromebook that is probably dead, or my steam deck. So for now I guess this will be a computer-less affair. :)

cakewalk's z3ta is on steam and is also pretty good. I'm pretty sure there are daws and sound editing software and stuff on steam