Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I'm thinking about grabbing Homicide from Shout's sale.
Also, I signed up for WB's "A-List Community" so I will do my best to just push a bunch of insane UHD suggestions.

I may or may not have signed up for it so I can just egg on for a Gremlins 2: The New Batch UHD. I want one so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I would be up for a gremlins 1&2 combo pack, let's go

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gremlins 2 UHD but also with commentary with Jorden Peele in character as the Hollywood sequel doctor

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Gremlins 2 UHD but also with commentary with Jorden Peele in character as the Hollywood sequel doctor

As someone who didn't see Gremlins until 2018 or so, and who grew up with a taped copy of Gremlins 2, I absolutely lost my poo poo when I first saw that skit. I truly felt seen.

CGI really lacks that oompf compared to models when it comes to an idea. Like, something big and wild and detailed in CGI is nowhere near as novel or interesting as Vegetable Gremlin or as nightmare-inducing as Spider Gremlin. The lack of physicality is so glaring in CGI-heavy movies when you watch something like Gremlins or Gremlins 2.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

IIRC the last we heard about any sort of Gremlin's revisit would be including practical puppets once again, which would be great and with the surprise success of Terrifier 2 and all of its practical goodness that definitely resonated with audiences there's got to be more of a case for a major studio jumping into a Gremlin's 3 with full puppet work.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

dorium posted:

IIRC the last we heard about any sort of Gremlin's revisit would be including practical puppets once again, which would be great and with the surprise success of Terrifier 2 and all of its practical goodness that definitely resonated with audiences there's got to be more of a case for a major studio jumping into a Gremlin's 3 with full puppet work.

It's getting a 10 episode animated series on HBO Max, produced by Amblin. It takes place in 1920's China. The lead human character is the old shopkeeper from the original film as a 10 year old boy. Joe Dante is lightly involved as a consulting producer.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
No thanks

Looking at that cast..... maybe

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dante is involved and that’s an incredibly solid cast. I’m cautiously optimistic.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Franchescanado posted:

It's getting a 10 episode animated series on HBO Max, produced by Amblin. It takes place in 1920's China. The lead human character is the old shopkeeper from the original film as a 10 year old boy. Joe Dante is lightly involved as a consulting producer.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It's been a minute, but I remember the audio commentary from the DVD being really enlightening on the practical effects side of Gremlins.

Also in thumbnail my brain parsed those images as a Gremlins themed fighting game.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Casimir Radon posted:

Dante is involved and that’s an incredibly solid cast. I’m cautiously optimistic.

There's more:

The first two episodes have had premieres with Dante in attendance for a Q&A, with the showrunner and others involved. No reviews on the actual episodes, though.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Franchescanado posted:

Surprised that survived the cull and not the BTAS reboot

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

morestuff posted:

i'm still real salty about losing an ed brubaker 30's inspired noir b:tas.

die WBD

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Boywhiz88 posted:

I'm thinking about grabbing Homicide from Shout's sale.
Also, I signed up for WB's "A-List Community" so I will do my best to just push a bunch of insane UHD suggestions.

I may or may not have signed up for it so I can just egg on for a Gremlins 2: The New Batch UHD. I want one so bad.

Is homicide worth checking out? I only ever saw a crossover with law and order, never saw the actual show but I know it comes up here a bit.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Kingtheninja posted:

Is homicide worth checking out? I only ever saw a crossover with law and order, never saw the actual show but I know it comes up here a bit.

Hell yeah it’s worth checking out.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

zer0spunk posted:

e: it's also KITH, it's not exactly a visual feast, I was happy with lovely VHS copies of comedy central reruns for years, i'll watch that thing in any resolution

I'd love any kind of complete official Sifl and Olly release but this is exactly how I feel about my bootleg set barring season three because whoever made it was a cheap rear end in a top hat who had to ram that season onto one disc so it's horribly compressed to the point of being unwatchable. The irony there is that was the only season that had an official DVD release which is quite expensive now.

MacheteZombie posted:

No thanks

Looking at that cast..... maybe

Yeah but James Hong.

morestuff posted:

I think it's safe to say that either way the Batman TAS revival wouldn't have happened anyway because Kevin Conroy is absolutely irreplaceable and it's better (and more respectful) to just cancel it than go on without him. Warner actually gave them the go ahead to shop it around to other streaming services which they were doing. The were even rumors that Disney was interested thought I don't know how valid they are.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 17, 2022

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kingtheninja posted:

Homicide is, by far, my favorite show of all time; even the seventh season, universally regarded as the worst, was still significantly better than just about anything else on network television at the time. I've been needing to pick up the seventh season for ages but eBay prices were absurd the last I checked; those old A&E discs have been out of print for more than a decade.

Absolute banger of a cast. Along the way, it included:

- Andre Braugher
- Kyle Secor
- Yaphet Kotto
- Richard Belzer
- Jon Polito
- Reed Diamond
- Michelle Forbes
- Callie Thorne
- Melissa Leo
- Giancarlo Esposito
- Ned Beatty

And many more. (To say nothing of the incredible guest stars like Robin Williams, Vincent D'Onofrio, Steve Buscemi and many more.)

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I bought the A&E set back in the early days of Amazon Prime because they said it would arrive at my house by, like, the following afternoon and I was like "challenge accepted, Amazon." It's a good set but boy does it take up space.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Shiroc posted:

Steven Universe was the last non-anime DVD I bought because that didn't get blu-ray for ??? reasons. I got the DVDs of original Dragon Ball and GT. I get not caring about GT but I'm surprised that Dragon Ball doesn't have a bluray set.

Dragon Ball comes down to Toei absolutely not keeping the masters. The audio on the releases sounds like trash because it's the best they had around, they were infamous about being terrible at archiving for ages. Apparently a Japanese fan project is trying to restore the series off of tapes people recorded back in the day because the broadcast audio is better than the official copies.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m still mad that Adventure Time never got Blu-ray releases in the US for seasons 7+.

Animated TV has to be the most hosed over genre when it comes to HD releases, right?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I need Invader Zim in 4k please. Don’t care how you do it! Just doooo ittt

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CelticPredator posted:

I need Invader Zim in 4k please. Don’t care how you do it! Just doooo ittt

Oh I didn’t take you for a fan

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TheScott2K posted:

I bought the A&E set back in the early days of Amazon Prime because they said it would arrive at my house by, like, the following afternoon and I was like "challenge accepted, Amazon." It's a good set but boy does it take up space.

Yeah, the six seasons that I do have take up almost an entire shelf, and I only have the first six and the crummy DVD release of The Movie.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m still mad that Adventure Time never got Blu-ray releases in the US for seasons 7+.

Animated TV has to be the most hosed over genre when it comes to HD releases, right?

I think part of the problem is the view that "cartoons are for kids". Even when it's stuff that's not or at least isn't aimed specifically at kids.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/star-wars-the-skywalker-saga-digital-copy-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-blu-ray-only--best-buy/6393929.p?skuId=6393929

Laughing that this is $180 on clearance. What a worthless set! I've thought about it for years now. 3 completely in-congruent trilogies. A coffee table book!? For Star Wars nerds?!

It's just so dumb.

Anyway, it's a real bummer that there are like... 2 companies releasing physical media. Best Buy has the same WB titles for the last few years for $9.99, a few new ones that I've already purchased, etc. Disney bottoms out at $12.99 for UHDs but otherwise goes for $15. Just is so boring to see the same titles on sale along with a couple from this year that I probably already purchased like Inglorious Basterds.

I did decide to splurge a little and grab Shout's Homicide set after some consideration.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Boywhiz88 posted:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/star-wars-the-skywalker-saga-digital-copy-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-blu-ray-only--best-buy/6393929.p?skuId=6393929

Laughing that this is $180 on clearance. What a worthless set! I've thought about it for years now. 3 completely in-congruent trilogies. A coffee table book!? For Star Wars nerds?!

It's just so dumb.

Anyway, it's a real bummer that there are like... 2 companies releasing physical media. Best Buy has the same WB titles for the last few years for $9.99, a few new ones that I've already purchased, etc. Disney bottoms out at $12.99 for UHDs but otherwise goes for $15. Just is so boring to see the same titles on sale along with a couple from this year that I probably already purchased like Inglorious Basterds.

I did decide to splurge a little and grab Shout's Homicide set after some consideration.

I really only want 3 of those movies, and the versions on those discs are going to be the wrong versions.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Might pick up the Raimi Spiderman set for $25. It's a pretty basic barebones set but $25 seems about right.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
while i agree it's usually the same crap like the newest saw movie for 8 bucks, there's some this year releases like everything everywhere all at once and meaning of life, both of which I spent a little more for when they came out

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I got the book edition of both Raimi's Spider-Mens and the Amazing Spider-Man. Those are pretty nice sets all considering. I appreciate the Amazing movies even more now. Very undervalued movies even if they got their problems.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

I really only want 3 of those movies, and the versions on those discs are going to be the wrong versions.

Honestly the reviews I saw for most of the star wars movies on 4k weren't blowing me away. I've only picked up rogue one, the rest I'll probably be happy with on streaming.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Kingtheninja posted:

Honestly the reviews I saw for most of the star wars movies on 4k weren't blowing me away. I've only picked up rogue one, the rest I'll probably be happy with on streaming.

I did Last Jedi because it was the smart move during my pre-UHD owning days. Rogue One because it’s my favorite modern Star Wars. And that’s it!

I’ll never touch the prequels. The Force Awakens is a sweet 3D set for a mediocre movie. The original trilogy apparently is not great and I’m not buying Rise of Skywalkers ever.

It’s so funny because again, you do it kind of right and you’re printing money. But they just don’t care and still got loads of cash thrown at them.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
my Region 2 copy of 2009's Fish Story has arrived in the mail today :toot: it came with a big sticker on the shrinkwrap from the seller that said "THIS IS A REGION 2 DVD AND WILL NOT PLAY IN MOST U.S. PLAYERS - This is the movie you bought. If you did not intend to buy a Region 2 release, please do not open and return the disc". clearly the seller has had enough of stupid North Americans buying their releases and trying to return them after they've been opened lol

luckily for me this is why I still keep a special Sony OptiArc drive in my PC with RPC-stripped firmware installed. but also my Series X is a region-free player so it's siskels all around

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

So in the last 24 hours I have (on a whim) : bought shin godzilla for ten bucks, law and order complete for around 100, and the homicide set for 65.

I may have a bit of a problem.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kingtheninja posted:

So in the last 24 hours I have (on a whim) : bought shin godzilla for ten bucks, law and order complete for around 100, and the homicide set for 65.

I may have a bit of a problem.

:lol: nah

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Where are you guys finding Shin Godzilla for ten bucks?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
it's frequently on sale, or part of Amazon flash sales. I got it for 5 bucks last cyber Monday.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

barnold posted:

my Region 2 copy of 2009's Fish Story has arrived in the mail today :toot: it came with a big sticker on the shrinkwrap from the seller that said "THIS IS A REGION 2 DVD AND WILL NOT PLAY IN MOST U.S. PLAYERS - This is the movie you bought. If you did not intend to buy a Region 2 release, please do not open and return the disc". clearly the seller has had enough of stupid North Americans buying their releases and trying to return them after they've been opened lol

luckily for me this is why I still keep a special Sony OptiArc drive in my PC with RPC-stripped firmware installed. but also my Series X is a region-free player so it's siskels all around

Fish Story is great! Did you get the Third Window release?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

mutantIke posted:

Fish Story is great! Did you get the Third Window release?

that's the one :) I first watched it on the recommendation of a college professor I had once and I'm not sure what made me think of it but I had to go on and buy a copy last weekend

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Dragonshirt posted:

Where are you guys finding Shin Godzilla for ten bucks?

There's a re-release from last year I think, it retails at 15 bucks and frequently goes on sale. It's the one with the blue lining on the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I found it in the Walmart bin like 3 years ago. It owned