Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

PunkBoy posted:

It must take some kind of next level "I'm built different" energy to see the turnover rate in Vader's fleet and still want to get assigned there.

What Cythereal said and also it's a big loving ship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

StashAugustine posted:

What Cythereal said and also it's a big loving ship

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFihTRIxCkg

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
lol with Karn suiting up to confront Andor, I'm getting big DFENS vibes from him. He won't defect to the rebellion, but he will pull a Falling Down and take down some Imperials while he goes on his self destructive path of vengeance.

I had been saying all series now that I'm so happy there are no jedi in this, but if Luthen turns out to be one, I'm gonna trust this team to make it great.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

PunkBoy posted:

It would be interesting if Leida going trad causes Mon and Perrin to be like "Okay, we may not like each other, but we need to get our daughter away from this poo poo."

She already called him out for being 'open minded' about Leida doing this... so it doesn't seem like he cares

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
Star Wars Andor: Tyranny Requires

Nemik book not forgotten praise be to the rebellion.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Kaedric posted:

She already called him out for being 'open minded' about Leida doing this... so it doesn't seem like he cares

I took her saying that Perrin was open-minded about it to mean that he doesn't put much stock in the old traditions, since it sounded like she was pleasantly surprised.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Rochallor posted:

I took her saying that Perrin was open-minded about it to mean that he doesn't put much stock in the old traditions, since it sounded like she was pleasantly surprised.

Yeah, that was my reading as well, but maybe I misinterpreted it?

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

Yeah, that was my reading as well, but maybe I misinterpreted it?

I think you and Rochallor have the correct interpretation

Rough Transcript from that part of the episode (excuse my attempts at punctuation)

quote:

Mon: It's not me.

Vel: Perrin?

Mon: No. No. He's strangely open minded on this topic; it's her. It's Leida.

Vel: Oh no.

Mon: She loves it, and her friends. It's the only thing that she show up on time for, it's mad.

Vel: I can't believe this.

Mon: She found the Elder.

So Leida found this on her own, and it's not coming from Perrin or Mon. Perrin might be a Security Hawk socialite but he is open-minded about moving away from Chandrilan customs.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Rochallor posted:

You are correct, I went and rewatched it, and Vel is asking if Perrin is the one who pushed Leida into doing it, and then Mon says 'no, he's strangely open-minded on this topic, it's her, it's Leida." So yeah he was fine if she didn't go tradcath.

EDIT: beaten

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I find myself loving the ISB director. In any other role, he'd be the mentor/father figure everyone looked up to. Someone willing to break the rules for the greater good.

I have to remind myself that he's a bad guy.

In the mildly schlocky police detective show / prequel to Inspector Morse, Endeavor, he plays pretty much the exact same character, except in Andor rather than being a stodgy but well meaning company man, he's a nazi

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Sash! posted:

No.

He's not a cop, he's in the Navy. Losing the bow of your ship is a universal career ender.

Maybe he's got an influential senator on his side?

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
I was thinking about what Luthen is up to after episode 10. On Aldhani, the Imperial officers are talking about pacifying the local populace. The strategy seems softly, softly, slowly, slowly. Break them up into smaller groups and then crack down when everyone is too divided to oppose them.

Luthen mentions his fear of this, that by the time people are ready to fight back, the Empire will be too strong. What's he doing, he seems to mostly act as an envoy and co-ordinator to various small revolutionary groups. Saw makes the point that they are all small groups and very divided and diverse in outlook.

Then when he's talking Lonni. Lonni mentions Meero

Lonni: "There's a new supervisor rising, Edra Meero, she's focused on a subject she calls "Axis", she thinks he's building a rebel network, she's started looking into stolen Imperial Naval equipment and now she's looking for a link to Aldhani.

Lothen: "Edra Meero..."

Lonni: "There was an incident on Ferrix a few months ago, she thinks there's a link, she's been tearing the place apart, they're searching for a thief and a middleman"

Lothen: "Ah, "Axis""

Lonni: "She's gathering interest, Parthan likes her."

Lothen: "This is good, encourage this"

Lonni: "Why is this good"

Lothen: "Because she's wasting time."

Lonni: "You had nothing to do with Aldhani?"

Lothen: "Almost nothing, we were invited but declined, they got lucky, we don't bid on luck, this can't be why you're here"

They then get into Kreeger and his op being compromised.

However it struck me that Luthen is incredibly nonchalant about Meero getting very close to his operations. Unless he wants her there. I think he wants her to be convinced that instead of a few small groups of quarrelling dissidents there is a massive organised single alliance out there, a Rebel Alliance. He wants ISB convinced it exists and get them to commence a giant Imperial crackdown, which will just enrage the galaxy and crucially enrage the galaxy simultaneously. It also lets the galaxy know there is a single force fighting the Empire, the Rebel Alliance and everyone who wants to fight back will get drawn in there. Not a bunch of different splitters with different goals, one single goal. He probably wants to get caught, this facilitator that they can track to working with dozens of different groups, moving agents like Andor around to key operations, implicating a senator in being behind elements of it. It just sells the concept of one unified operation.

I think he's tricking the Empire into creating the Rebel Alliance.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

HidaO-Win posted:

I was thinking about what Luthen is up to after episode 10. On Aldhani, the Imperial officers are talking about pacifying the local populace. The strategy seems softly, softly, slowly, slowly. Break them up into smaller groups and then crack down when everyone is too divided to oppose them.

Luthen mentions his fear of this, that by the time people are ready to fight back, the Empire will be too strong. What's he doing, he seems to mostly act as an envoy and co-ordinator to various small revolutionary groups. Saw makes the point that they are all small groups and very divided and diverse in outlook.

Lonni: "There's a new supervisor rising, Edra Meero, she's focused on a subject she calls "Axis", she thinks he's building a rebel network, she's started looking into stolen Imperial Naval equipment and now she's looking for a link to Aldhani.

Lonni: "There was an incident on Ferrix a few months ago, she thinks there's a link, she's been tearing the place apart, they're searching for a thief and a middleman"

Lothen: "Almost nothing, we were invited but declined, they got lucky, we don't bid on luck, this can't be why you're here"

However it struck me that Luthen is incredibly nonchalant about Meero getting very close to his operations. Unless he wants her there. I think he wants her to be convinced that instead of a few small groups of quarrelling dissidents there is a massive organised single alliance out there, a Rebel Alliance. He wants ISB convinced it exists and get them to commence a giant Imperial crackdown, which will just enrage the galaxy and crucially enrage the galaxy simultaneously. It also lets the galaxy know there is a single force fighting the Empire, the Rebel Alliance and everyone who wants to fight back will get drawn in there. Not a bunch of different splitters with different goals, one single goal. He probably wants to get caught, this facilitator that they can track to working with dozens of different groups, moving agents like Andor around to key operations, implicating a senator in being behind elements of it. It just sells the concept of one unified operation.

Didn't Luthen basically say exactly this to one of the characters like Saw earlier?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

HidaO-Win posted:

Hes lying to Lonni in case he gets caught all the info that he has to pass on under interrogation that will have been presented to him as truth is disinformation.

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
Why did that Imperial captain say "air wing" when there is no air in space.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

Hirsute posted:

Same reason why they use nautical terminology in their space Navy.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Hirsute posted:

its ww2 innit

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

shirunei posted:

Star Wars Andor: Tyranny Requires

Nemik book not forgotten praise be to the rebellion.

I like that the manifesto works like one of those musical greeting cards that immediately starts playing as soon as you open it.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
There was something about the way Gen O'Reilly despairingly whispered "it's mad" that cracked me up, it's perfect exasperated wine mom (Wine Mon?) energy. At the same time, it all fits perfectly with the theme of the show, it's all about people rebelling. Be it against parental figures AND(ahem)OR the system and 'the way things are done', so even Dedra rebels against the ISB's stifling bureaucracy, and Leida rebels against the chill and relaxed lifestyle and upbringing that her mom has tried to impart to her.

A couple of other things I low key love:

* The enduring and endearing clunkiness of Star Wars tech. Yeah, they have blasters and laser swords and cool robots and FTL travel but so much of their tech looks dodgy and dated as gently caress and it's great. Those phone booths on Niamos, the TV in Syril's apartment, the flick switches and various instrument panels. Tactile and wonderful.

* For a Star Wars show with so much new music and no reason to use any of the well known motifs, I appreciate the very subtle weaving of a theme used in the films, can't remember if it was a general Coruscant one or part of the Republic but it's nicely done in any case.

* Bee. Someone make fully working one, he's just sweetest little guy. He doesn't even have to do anything except be a Good Boy.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
This show gives me a gut reaction of anxiety (or a better/more positive word) so quickly and easily, don't know enough about showmaking to even place it.

I wanted to ask why they'd be so cruel as to program a robot to feel loss or fear or sadness but I'm way behind (this thread and the established movies). Poor little guy even has his own little robot bed.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

BRJurgis posted:

I wanted to ask why they'd be so cruel as to program a robot to feel loss or fear or sadness but I'm way behind (this thread and the established movies). Poor little guy even has his own little robot bed.

Pretty sure the at least semi-canon answer is they don't program them that way, it's an emergent trait they accumulate from experience.

It's standard practice to wipe their memories regularly to prevent "quirks" like emotional responses and personality from developing in the first place. Of course droid rights advocates see this as basically like lobotomizing slaves to keep them docile.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I found it hilarious that after like fifty years of Star Wars having radios and walkie-talkies, but no phones, they gave up this week and had two plot-critical long distance phone calls

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Owlbear Camus posted:

Pretty sure the at least semi-canon answer is they don't program them that way, it's an emergent trait they accumulate from experience.

It's standard practice to wipe their memories regularly to prevent "quirks" like emotional responses and personality from developing in the first place. Of course droid rights advocates see this as basically like lobotomizing slaves to keep them docile.

I know I should do my own homework and all but is "emergent trait" something they pick up by being programmed to interact with (and by) humans, or more some sort of AI thing? I know that isn't mutually exclusive enough sorry.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

BRJurgis posted:

I know I should do my own homework and all but is "emergent trait" something they pick up by being programmed to interact with (and by) humans, or more some sort of AI thing? I know that isn't mutually exclusive enough sorry.

I mean the interaction with people is a fair hypothesis but TBH it's generally not that hard of a sci-fi setting. Andor is probably the furthest it's been tipped away from pure space opera to more grounded sci-fi.

For narrative purposes you can basically say some droids develop souls and some don't.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Mameluke posted:

I found it hilarious that after like fifty years of Star Wars having radios and walkie-talkies, but no phones, they gave up this week and had two plot-critical long distance phone calls
There's Maz Kanata's 'labour dispute' call...

Mosk's phone call was very similar in many ways, except that it was actually good.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Sentinel Red posted:

* The enduring and endearing clunkiness of Star Wars tech. Yeah, they have blasters and laser swords and cool robots and FTL travel but so much of their tech looks dodgy and dated as gently caress and it's great. Those phone booths on Niamos, the TV in Syril's apartment, the flick switches and various instrument panels. Tactile and wonderful.

Yeah, it's akin to the retrofuturist design that originally drew me to the Fallout series, with a sort of alternate history where the transistor had never been invented and vacuum tubes continued to be the state of the art.

With Star Wars, though, I wonder how much of it is simply a product of its time. If it were being made today, would everybody have space-smartphones and high-res flat panel displays?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

404notfound posted:

Yeah, it's akin to the retrofuturist design that originally drew me to the Fallout series, with a sort of alternate history where the transistor had never been invented and vacuum tubes continued to be the state of the art.

With Star Wars, though, I wonder how much of it is simply a product of its time. If it were being made today, would everybody have space-smartphones and high-res flat panel displays?

Absolutely. Just look at Marvel's occasional forays into space, or the more recent Star Treks.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

BRJurgis posted:

At least in the old RPG books the idea was that out of the box (or whatever) a droid doesn't really have any personality, it just carries out tasks. Over time, though, ones that have some intelligence develop quirks and preferences as they learn about and adapt to the world around them and the people they interact with, which can result in them turning into feisty little jerks like R2 or what have you. Some/most owners find this to be a pain in the rear end and so they regularly factory reset their droids so they just do as they're told. Which, yes, has various horrifying ethical implications.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

MaoistBanker posted:

Didn't Luthen basically say exactly this to one of the characters like Saw earlier?

He said it to Mon after Aldhani. One thing I really like about this show is that the whole premise seems to come from a line Leia says to Tarkin in the original movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAAXorA4pg8&t=47s

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Sentinel Red posted:

* Bee. Someone make fully working one, he's just sweetest little guy. He doesn't even have to do anything except be a Good Boy.

It's coming for sure. I'm in a Droid building group and there are already parts and plans available.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

BRJurgis posted:

This show gives me a gut reaction of anxiety (or a better/more positive word) so quickly and easily, don't know enough about showmaking to even place it.

I think "tension" is the word you're looking for.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Absolutely. Just look at Marvel's occasional forays into space, or the more recent Star Treks.

It's interesting how every iteration of SW maintains that old 70s design (except for the prequels, I guess), while Trek has continuously updated to look state-of-the-art. One result of this is how relatively timeless SW seems compared to the various re-ups of Trek. One could argue that SW is kind of design conservative when it comes to risk or innovation, but it definitely makes SW as a whole seem a little less "dated." Lot less techno retconning required. And every generation of Trek looks and feels very much of the time of production.

Love Rat fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 18, 2022

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

I mean the interaction with people is a fair hypothesis but TBH it's generally not that hard of a sci-fi setting. Andor is probably the furthest it's been tipped away from pure space opera to more grounded sci-fi.

For narrative purposes you can basically say some droids develop souls and some don't.

Has any force-sensitive ever referenced sensing droids?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Love Rat posted:

It's interesting how every iteration of SW maintains that old 70s design (except for the prequels, I guess), while Trek has continuously updated to look state-of-the-art. One result of this is how relatively timeless SW seems compared to the various re-ups of Trek. One could argue that SW is kind of design conservative when it comes to risk or innovation, but it definitely makes SW as a whole seem a little less "dated." Lot less techno retconning required. And every generation of Trek looks and feels very much of the time of production.

It also makes Star Wars feel incredibly stagnant as a setting. Technology rarely meaningfully advances, just what model of TIE is in service.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

Cythereal posted:

It also makes Star Wars feel incredibly stagnant as a setting. Technology rarely meaningfully advances, just what model of TIE is in service.

This is true. I've always hypothesized that the Republic was incredibly stagnant, and the galaxy as a whole was stuck in a millennia-long rut. Tech didn't change much overall from the Old Republic era and the "present." I think it works for the setting, the whole used future thing. People are still stripping and retrofitting ships and droids that have been around for hundreds of years.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The reason is that it's not a sci fi setting, it's a fantasy setting. The technology is absolutely in service to the story, and never the other way around.

Starfighters don't change transformatively for a thousand years because they fill the narrative function of a steed. Horses come in different colors and some are sturdy warehouses while others are swift thoroughbreds but generation after generation they are still horses and the stories aren't about them, they are about the feats of the knights and cavalrymen that ride them.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

The reason is that it's not a sci fi setting, it's a fantasy setting. The technology is absolutely in service to the story, and never the other way around.

Starfighters don't change transformatively for a thousand years because they fill the narrative function of a steed. Horses come in different colors and some are sturdy warehouses while others are swift thoroughbreds but generation after generation they are still horses and the stories aren't about them, they are about the feats of the knights and cavalrymen that ride them.

Yeah, I don't consider SW sci-fi in any meaningful sense though it's got some soft sci-fi here and there.

But beyond obvious story convenience, I think there is a real notion of a very old, very layered, and decrepit space-faring civilization that has stopped advancing.

Love Rat fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 18, 2022

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
my favorite part was actually when he got saw to his side

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Gilroy disagrees

quote:

Pretty much everything Star Wars up until now — maybe with the exception of Rogue One — has been in the genre of what they used to call “space opera” or “space fantasy.” It wasn’t really science fiction. Andor is much closer to something else. You could call it dystopian science fiction, you could call it allegorical science fiction.

Skarsgard is a snake oil salesman not a jedi, and luckily the showrunner understands how damaging the space wizard nonsense would be for any of the characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Technology isn't just there to serve the story, it's an important theme in its own right. The dehumanising nature of technology, its potential to terrify and subjugate, and the arrogance of those who rely on it is a huge part of the OT with things like Vader, the Death Star, and the general low-tech vs high-tech nature of the conflict.

Love Rat posted:

Has any force-sensitive ever referenced sensing droids?

Yoda's "luminous beings" speech talks about the force connecting things like rocks and Luke's X-Wing.