Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I have no idea, but I can’t believe that that would be going on without a tragedy happening. Cutting weight is hell on your cardio to say nothing of the effects on your mental focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Defenestrategy posted:

I doubt it, dehydrating your self to look better would be absolutely miserable and possibly dangerous to do when your expected to do a fifteen minute athletic event. If I had to guess everyone is using their walking around weight.

Worth noting this is exactly what Shibata did before the match where he broke his brain, which was an insane thing to do before a 45 minute match

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!
Yeah, y'all are probably right, but AR Fox looked absolutely shredded on Dynamite tonight and I couldn't believe that he just walks around looking like that normally.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Lazy like a Fox posted:

Yeah, y'all are probably right, but AR Fox looked absolutely shredded on Dynamite tonight and I couldn't believe that he just walks around looking like that normally.

Maybe he was doing it. If Shibata was dumb enough to do it, I'm sure other people do.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Lazy like a Fox posted:

I mean theres stuff you can do to enhance your look on a quick basis. Oil, good tan, and some prework out. Its possible he also did some light dehydration since it was a trios match, although youd be insane to risk your skill presentation to look a little bit better in AEW

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

getting a good pump on before you go out is also common but no they dont cut weight. You cut weight before a weigh in then rapidly rehydrate, it's miserable and theres no need for wrestlers to do something so miserable since they dont need to make weight

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

if A.R. Fox cuts weight he's been doing it for a long time because he always looks shredded

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i don't know wtf about that situation specifically but i believe that in pro wrestling there are probably an equal amount of things done necessarily and unnecessarily by the wrestlers

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Jade Cargill occupies a weird space in that regard because she's clearly phenomenally fit, but looks like she has absolutely no padding over her muscles and it kinda strikes me that would affect her capacity to take a bump.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
Jade don't bump for these jobbers. problem solved.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Breetai posted:

Jade Cargill occupies a weird space in that regard because she's clearly phenomenally fit, but looks like she has absolutely no padding over her muscles and it kinda strikes me that would affect her capacity to take a bump.

Lucky for her she's only had 43 matches to date, most of which go under 4 minutes, in which shes not taking all that many bumps in them. If her schedule basically keeps up like that I wouldn't be surprised to see her wrestling until she just gets tired of it rather than some of her peers who retire because they're held together via good wishes and tape.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Vandar posted:

Remember when WCW hired a female wrestler named ASYA?

Because ASYA is bigger than CHYNA? Get it? Do you?!

:negative:

When I saw the name I groaned out loud because of course WCW would be that dumb and that snarky. IIRC she was a blip and disappeared shortly after her debut. I think Major Gunns lasted longer then ASYA did.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Nystral posted:

When I saw the name I groaned out loud because of course WCW would be that dumb and that snarky. IIRC she was a blip and disappeared shortly after her debut. I think Major Gunns lasted longer then ASYA did.

She was around for almost a year and a half and had a bunch of weird storylines including Dale Torborg being tormented by the Demon. Major Gunns was Major Gunns for less time but both of them were in WCW for about a year and a half.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

There was a shoot interview I was listening to one time, can't remember who. But some of the mid 90's body guys found out about some stuff that bodybuilders would use before going on stage to look better. But all the stuff would do is turn your skin super red and veiny, so it wouldn't really make someone look "better" per se, and it was oily so you couldn't hold on to a dude covered in it and it stung when it got in your eyes and everyone hated the dudes who used it lol.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Nystral posted:

MassRafTer posted:

She was around for almost a year and a half and had a bunch of weird storylines including Dale Torborg being tormented by the Demon. Major Gunns was Major Gunns for less time but both of them were in WCW for about a year and a half.

Half-remembering something dumb, being sure that it couldn't have lasted for more than a few weeks only to learn that it lasted a year and was even dumber than you remember. Now THAT is the WCW Experience.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Stealth Tiger posted:

There was a shoot interview I was listening to one time, can't remember who. But some of the mid 90's body guys found out about some stuff that bodybuilders would use before going on stage to look better. But all the stuff would do is turn your skin super red and veiny, so it wouldn't really make someone look "better" per se, and it was oily so you couldn't hold on to a dude covered in it and it stung when it got in your eyes and everyone hated the dudes who used it lol.

thats called Hot Stuff and people still use it today lol

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Hot Stuff is part of Frankie Kazarian's DO YA story, too.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Grendels Dad posted:

Half-remembering something dumb, being sure that it couldn't have lasted for more than a few weeks only to learn that it lasted a year and was even dumber than you remember. Now THAT is the WCW Experience.

The best WCW Experience!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Do we know how much Paul Orndorff was making during his Hogan run?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

800 a night

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
This thread claims $20k for Mania 1. https://forum.wrestlingfigs.com/thread/362864/classic-wwf-wrestler-pay-megathread

As a side note, this Chris Harrington resource says Orndorff made $12,165 over 96 and 97. It's important to note that he was out hurt during this time period. https://sites.google.com/site/chrisharrington/wcw_contracts#TOC-Paul-Orndorff

Unfortunately, I haven't had much luck finding any other solid information with what I have on hand.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Watching through 95-96 Raw and I'm super surprised at the amount of matches are just a roster member vs some no name jobber. It's gotten to the point of almost not wanting to watch because almost no matches feel like real matches because they're squashing jobbers. When did this practice stop and why did it stop? I mean I know there's still "jobbers" now but they're usually still fleshed out full members of the wwe roster. Not Dan Smith, man who's wearing a shirt and singlet.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Watching through 95-96 Raw and I'm super surprised at the amount of matches are just a roster member vs some no name jobber. It's gotten to the point of almost not wanting to watch because almost no matches feel like real matches because they're squashing jobbers. When did this practice stop and why did it stop? I mean I know there's still "jobbers" now but they're usually still fleshed out full members of the wwe roster. Not Dan Smith, man who's wearing a shirt and singlet.

Tacking on to this question: When did enhancement talent start getting more than generic wrestler gear and name? Like is brawler the first on WWF tv?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Not sure when it truly switched over, but when it did, it was in direct response to WCW Nitro. Nitro mostly had roster member vs. roster member matches and that made Raw look obsolete. They had no choice but to catch up.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Is Scott hall the first and so far only deceased nwo member?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

0konner posted:

Kurt Hennig, Machoman, Bossman, Rick Rude, Louie Spicolli.

Edit: I think Spicolli went first.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Spicolli died during his NWO run. Larry Zbyszko then crapped on him on the following broadcast, it was either a very misguided attempt at kayfabe or he's just a monumental prick, you decide

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

0konner posted:

Curt Hennig, Randy Savage, Rick Rude, Bubba Rogers, Louie Spicolli, Dusty Rhodes, Brian Adams, and nWo Japan member Big Titan are also deceased.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Punch McLightning posted:

Curt Hennig, Randy Savage, Rick Rude, Bubba Rogers, Louie Spicolli, Dusty Rhodes, Brian Adams, and nWo Japan member Big Titan are also deceased.

Also Miss Elizabeth if non-wrestling members count.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Gavok posted:

Not sure when it truly switched over, but when it did, it was in direct response to WCW Nitro. Nitro mostly had roster member vs. roster member matches and that made Raw look obsolete. They had no choice but to catch up.

I remember watching my first nitro and thinking that WCW was putting out ppl quality shows every week WWF was in trouble.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

My GF and I know nothing about wrestling, but a lot of our favorite podcasters like it so we bought tickets to Survivor Series in Boston this Saturday. Is there anything we need to know story wise before? Will it all be explained?

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Fritzler posted:

My GF and I know nothing about wrestling, but a lot of our favorite podcasters like it so we bought tickets to Survivor Series in Boston this Saturday. Is there anything we need to know story wise before? Will it all be explained?

I haven't followed WWE in awhile so someone else here could probably be more useful but I did find this article: https://wrestlingjunkie.usatoday.com/lists/wwe-survivor-series-wargames-start-time-card-predictions/

Hope you have a great time!

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

duckdealer posted:

I haven't followed WWE in awhile so someone else here could probably be more useful but I did find this article: https://wrestlingjunkie.usatoday.com/lists/wwe-survivor-series-wargames-start-time-card-predictions/

Hope you have a great time!

Honestly, that seems like a good enough summary. The only thing you can really add is that a lot of the factions on that card have been booked pretty badly, but if you're only watching it as a one-off show where everyone involved is going to give a poo poo that shouldn't matter.

(Well, it's worth mentioning that Rousey is a lot worse at this than you'd hope, so keep your expectations there low. But otherwise, you should be fine going in fresh.)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

There's a rumor that Taker is going to be there too. I saved up and worked OT as soon as it was announced to get sweet seats and just got diagnosed with covid today :( but youre going to have a blast, even my non-wrestling fan friends have a great time at live events and a WWE ppv really is something special to go to in person!

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

I remember going to Survivor Series 2013 when it was in Boston. I was sitting under the stand they had for Bret Hart, Mick Foley and I think Booker T. All night these douchebags sitting behind us were shouting at them trying to get attention.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
During War Raiders vs Aleister Black and Ricochet from Takeover New York in 2019, about five minutes into the match the audience, who had previously been cheering wildly go dead silent for a couple of minutes before letting out an almighty cheer and a "You deserve it" chant. It's nothing to do with what's going on in the match because Black has Rowe in an abdominal stretch. Were there ever any reports of what happened in the crowd? Did somebody get kicked out of the arena?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Has AEW stopped taping at Universal Studios? All the episodes of Dark lately have been at touring shows.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

I think they took a break from Universal because they had the live rampage shows for Dark tapings. Based on their December event schedule (lots of combined Dynamite/Rampage) they’ll probably do one next weekend and ride that footage through the holidays.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MancXVI posted:

I think they took a break from Universal because they had the live rampage shows for Dark tapings. Based on their December event schedule (lots of combined Dynamite/Rampage) they’ll probably do one next weekend and ride that footage through the holidays.

This was my impression as well, Dark this year has combined the two depending on their schedule. It’s always fun to try and listen to commentary and how loosely or closely they preview Dynamite/Rampage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Was Reggie Bennett any good?