Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

e: I think it may have been Reichsführer-SS Brigade, but I would need to read more on Operation Achse, Germany's invasion of Italy.

I'll try and track down an excellent paper I read about this. Went into great detail about the enormous economic gain the Germans received as a result of the invasion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

But Orcs are made from mud??

this is incorrect, Peter Jackson took some liberties in the films, but canonically orcs love to tunnel in mud, but are not made from it / incubated in it explicitly.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Uruk hai in the books were made from breading orcs and humans together

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

interestingly it doesn't seem as though that italian group had any serious hardware. i'm holding out for some neo-nazi sect doing a bank robbery with a javelin, personally

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

euphronius posted:

The Uruk hai in the books were made from breading orcs and humans together

lmao did JRR The Passing of the Great Race

speng31b
May 8, 2010

bedpan posted:

lmao did JRR The Passing of the Great Race

the human-orc breeding program as an origin of the Uruk-hai was speculated about by various characters, but never confirmed canonically.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it is confirmed in the lord of the rings which is “canon”

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

its very clear that russian uruk hai are the result of breeding between true orcs (mongolians) and humans (ukrainians)

speng31b
May 8, 2010

euphronius posted:

it is confirmed in the lord of the rings which is “canon”

It's not middle-earth canon or Tolkien's canon https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle-earth_canon

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lmao literally quoting Wikipedia at me

speng31b
May 8, 2010

euphronius posted:

lmao literally quoting Wikipedia at me

thats right

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum
If anyone is interested in some of the mechanics of how the modern orc arose I have to recommend the following book, it dispels the ‘arisen from mud’ myth and details how “used” bath water was the primary medium used to spawn orcs:

Turtle Watch has issued a correction as of 00:01 on Nov 18, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
COH 1 was good but COH 2 may as well have been written by the Stepan Bandera Institute of Anticommunist Studies

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gradenko_2000 posted:

COH 1 was good but COH 2 may as well have been written by the Stepan Bandera Institute of Anticommunist Studies

speng31b
May 8, 2010

move your game company to canada for the tax breaks, stay for the banderite propaganda

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Eagerly awaiting the maple leaf to join the swastika, wolfsangle, and sonnonrad on the list of hate symbols.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I like Homeworld though.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Lostconfused posted:

I like Homeworld though.

I haven't paid close enough attention to the Homeworld lore to know if there were warning signs present.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Homeworld is definitely dicey since it covers exile, genocide, race traitors, divine destiny, reclaiming the homeland, lots of room for interpretation.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

the vile Russians are simple, no need for intellectual property

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

I haven't paid close enough attention to the Homeworld lore to know if there were warning signs present.

A distorted version of Gagarin’s speech was used as a stand in for a speech by the evil space emperor.

There is also a bit of a plot hole/issue with what happened to the new imperial population of your homeworld. There is some level of implied “reverse” ethnic cleaning. (Sorry for ruining Homeworld anyone but the ending has got some issues.)

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 01:21 on Nov 18, 2022

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Ardennes posted:

A distorted version of Gagarin’s speech was used as a stand in for a speech by the evil space emperor.

There is also a bit of a plot hole/issue with what happened to the new imperial population of your homeworld. There is some level of implied “reverse” ethnic cleaning. (Sorry for ruining Homeworld anyone but the ending has got some issues.)

What is reverse ethnic cleansing? Forced miscegenation?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

HashtagGirlboss posted:

What is reverse ethnic cleansing? Forced miscegenation?

They ethnically cleansed you and then you did the same thing to them, eye for an eye.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Ardennes posted:

They ethnically cleansed you and then you did the same thing to them, eye for an eye.

Yikes.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Oh! OK. The lower glacis plate is super canted back in the first pic

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Ukraine should surrender

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Was this thread the one that was talking about GURPS?

From the WW2 book on the Red Army:

TAKING THE OTHER SIDE

Hitler resisted any effort to convert unhappy Soviets to the Nazi cause. He wanted to exterminate, not “liberate.” More practical Germans, however, saw that Stalin’s harsh rule had disaffected millions, creating a vast pool of potential recruits who could tip the scales on the Eastern Front.
Given that they usually had to recruit quietly, lest the Führer notice, these German authorities did not mobilize a great number of dissidents, but they had their successes.

THE UKRAINIANS

Since the 1920s, the Ukrainian regions of Galitsia and Volhyn had fought Polish rule with a substantial right-wing resist- ance that eventually organized as the Organizatsiya Ukrainskikh Natsionalistiv, or OUN. In September 1939, these lands fell under Soviet control under Stalin’s secret pact with Hitler. Communist rule – especially under a regime that had already murdered so many Ukrainians – certainly was no trade up in OUN eyes, though some Polish Ukrainians sincerely felt otherwise. (Exactly how many will never be known, though the Soviets held a referendum and claimed 93% support.)

The resistance’s leadership relocated to the German-held Polish territories, where they began discussions with the Third Reich’s officials. At a February 1940 meeting in Krakow, the movement split into factions. The OUN-B under Stefan Ban- dera joined the Nazi camp while the OUN-M kept its distance for the moment.
As Barbarossa began, both OUN factions led militarized raiding formations organized by the Germans and called Nachtigall and Roland. These specialized in atrocities against Jews, of a viciousness that often outperformed even hardened SS killers. Eventually, the OUN’s insistence on independence led it to fall out with the Nazis. The leadership was arrested and scattered, but their followers continued to support the German regime, many joining the 14th Galician SS Division or furthering the persecution of Jews.

Of all the dissidents described in this section, the Ukraini- ans had the greatest odds of escaping Soviet retribution after the war. Many of them pointed out that, technically, they were Polish citizens, and thus escaped deportation from U.S. or British zones of control as wartime traitors to their country.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

All coh games are garbage.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
GURPS setting the score on the OUN and knowing what's what is why it's the best rpg

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Marzzle posted:

the worst AI commander to fight in coh2 is one with an ability to do "propaganda pamphlets" which is basically a UNLIMITED RANGE AoE attack that make any non-mechanized unit retreat to your home base. the AI does them with lightning quick reactions to gently caress you over constantly and it's a huge headache

I think it's this one

apparently in the world of COH2, not only are the soviets nazi caricatures, but D'Annunzio's flight over Vienna was actually a sound use of resources.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

tearfully begging Zelensky not to ascend to a higher plane of existence until the war is over

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Minenfeld! posted:

All coh games are garbage.

you would think that, because you've never been in the company of heroes

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Organ Fiend posted:

Eagerly awaiting the maple leaf to join the swastika, wolfsangle, and sonnonrad on the list of hate symbols.

It's already been established on our 5$ bill that the Maple Leaf is a vile symbol of hate

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

homeworld kicks rear end, homeworld: cataclsym was a lot of fun. homeworld 2 was not very good imo, mostly because of unit scaling.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

homeworld remastered also has scaling added to it which imo is a stupid way to "balance" games. if i successfully micro my ships to prevent them from being destroyed and steal a bunch of enemy ships ,i shouldn't be punished by having to face even bigger enemy fleets. just one mans take.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the Kushans being exiled from their homeworld, and then driving all the way back to reclaim, and then throwing the Taiidans out of the same world, has a lot of The Implication going on

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
In masters of Orion 2 I preferred to use orbital weapons to bombard enemy planets into near extinction then ship in my own colonists. By having the absolute minimum of conquered population it decreased the chance of future revolts without having to completely rebuild from scratch.

The quicker alternative was to drop in a lot more troopships than you really needed and build a barracks and alien conversion centre immediately.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DancingShade posted:

In masters of Orion 2 I preferred to use orbital weapons to bombard enemy planets into near extinction then ship in my own colonists. By having the absolute minimum of conquered population it decreased the chance of future revolts without having to completely rebuild from scratch.

The quicker alternative was to drop in a lot more troopships than you really needed and build a barracks and alien conversion centre immediately.

the other way to do this is to take over the planet, and then send over the conquered pops via transport to a planet that's already full on population

the planet won't accept them, and they'll die in the atmosphere

that way you get to clean house, but you get to keep all the structures already built

even a Democracy can do this, which cannot otherwise eliminate pops violently

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

lobster shirt posted:

homeworld remastered also has scaling added to it which imo is a stupid way to "balance" games. if i successfully micro my ships to prevent them from being destroyed and steal a bunch of enemy ships ,i shouldn't be punished by having to face even bigger enemy fleets. just one mans take.

Please tell me it's possible to turn that off, I really want to play it but not if they did bullshit like that to precious space baby.

Btw the scaling was unfair against the ai, all you need to do is decommission every ship you've got at the end of the mission, then in three next mission the ai starts with nothing and you start with a dragon hoard of resources you can convert to a huge fleet and crush em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

gradenko_2000 posted:

the Kushans being exiled from their homeworld, and then driving all the way back to reclaim, and then throwing the Taiidans out of the same world, has a lot of The Implication going on

The Kushans actually do very little; the Taiidani Empire is at that point in open revolt against an increasingly erratic and despotic emperor, who proceeds to get himself killed trying to play generalissimo, and before the Kushans are wiped out by the converging imperial fleets the Galactic Council steps in and negotiates a settlement which the Taiidani administration accepts.

All this galactic politicking goes above the Kushans' heads - with nowhere to return to since Kharak was destroyed, all they have left is a quasi-religious pilgrimage to Hiigara.