Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

A symbolic gesture at best I suppose, but noted war criminal Igor Girkin was sentenced to life in absentia for shooting down MH17. I feel like I haven't seen any vlogs from him bitching out Putin and Shoigu for a while now? Last I heard he was back at the front with the Ukrainians having but a bounty on him.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/mh17-judgment-day-verdicts-due-suspects-trial-93466382

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

The article posted:

Russian Oleg Pulatov, the only suspect represented by defense lawyers at the trial, was acquitted.

https://youtu.be/B0l2l1PXqIE?t=274

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

McNally posted:

Right, you'd have to point it a little flatter.

:v:

"can you fire an ICBM horizontally?"

"sure... why would you want to?"

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Orthanc6 posted:

say the front fell off of your submarine and you still have orders to launch??

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Direct lay indirect fire for armor penetration

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Orthanc6 posted:

Well, it started out horizontally...

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

say the front fell off of your submarine and you still have orders to launch??

I almost gave you a sixer so you’d have time to rewatch The Hunt for Red October.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

FrozenVent posted:

I almost gave you a sixer so you’d have time to rewatch The Hunt for Red October.

Clearly they recognized the source of the quote, otherwise how would they have known to say submarine?

You're a loose cannon, FV, throwing out those sixers with reckless abandon!

Good job.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

McNally posted:

You're a loose cannon, FV, throwing out those sixers with reckless abandon!

:rolleyes:

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

M_Gargantua posted:

Direct lay indirect fire for armor penetration

That would just be direct fire. Tracking... Set.... Tracking... Set... *pulls string*

the three types of direct fire are, direct fire, steel rain and ICM-in-the-wire.

I felt something pop typing that and I can taste copper and remember the smell, the taste of cannon fire...

Edit: fun fact, ICM In The Wire is when you load an ICM round, a base ejector with 88 bomblets, load your highest charge powder, set the timed fuze, point it straight up, fire and run. Its for when you're being overrun and requires a high degree of compotency to pull off. By which I mean any USMC and most US Army batteries could pull it off. I'm pretty sure if Russia tried they'd kill themselves trying to load the gun.

Steezo fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 18, 2022

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I have a really dumb conspiracy theory. Elon is tanking Twitter on behalf of the russian government because of the osint it provides and it makes the russians look bad in a very open way.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I have a really dumb conspiracy theory. Elon is tanking Twitter on behalf of the russian government because of the osint it provides and it makes the russians look bad in a very open way.

This is RT level of stupid, yes.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
Just double checking, dumb morning thoughts.

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1593482273776623616?t=B3Z_UWVSSmxU7TA8ULmn0Q&s=19 in other news.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I think Elons just convinced that his success is all due to how brilliant he personally is. So, he just assumed he could ‘fix’ Twitter with a little bing-bam-boom and voila. That fixing Twitter meant showing everyone else that he’s right about his ideas in general and specifically stuff he’s been mocked for like for Ukraine and Russia and his billionaire right wing chums and his ideas on repressing labor and etc..

It’s internet nerd won’t back down from a bad argument as performed by someone who can act out on a vast scale with a healthy dash of, “I could make a ton of money selling space services and electric cars in Russia so, I’ll lean their way when I can”

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Pine Cone Jones posted:

1) Elon Musk as a human being is far too stupid to actually do this. Everything up to now aligns with his messianic ego and fart huffing about his abilities as a "leader/businessman".

2) There's other methods for OSINT than twitter and it's probably good that it will be forced to not depend on a single company now subject to the whims of a new man-child (the Jack dude before Elon wasn't better in terms of views, only smarter in trying to monetize the platform).

3) Unless the Russians take down the rest of the social media ecosystem and traditional media, I don't think there's much chance they can keep their lovely performance in the war a secret. As if that cat wasn't already out of the bag.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BadOptics posted:

1) Elon Musk as a human being is far too stupid to actually do this. Everything up to now aligns with his messianic ego and fart huffing about his abilities as a "leader/businessman".

2) There's other methods for OSINT than twitter and it's probably good that it will be forced to not depend on a single company now subject to the whims of a new man-child (the Jack dude before Elon wasn't better in terms of views, only smarter in trying to monetize the platform).

3) Unless the Russians take down the rest of the social media ecosystem and traditional media, I don't think there's much chance they can keep their lovely performance in the war a secret. As if that cat wasn't already out of the bag.

2. No, actually Twitter was a significant driver of OSINT, not a small time player at all. It will be a significant detriment to the community
https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1593508571563581440?s=20&t=T-e1V1axC5Nx99hkO9W9qg

3. Twitter was also a significant way to highlight Russian abuses and fight Russian propaganda, so disagree here too: Its a significant blow to open trade of information that Ukraine thrived on to fight that.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

But there's nothing inherent about the Twitter platform that allows all that. It's not like it has certain tools that other platforms don't have or could have

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CainFortea posted:

But there's nothing inherent about the Twitter platform that allows all that. It's not like it has certain tools that other platforms don't have or could have

Twitter had one of the lowest barriers of entry, and some of the easiest discovery of content out of any platform that has ever existed. It's lightweight, too, so you can view it on anything that can run Doom.

Of course, twitter's destruction doesn't mean that it can't be replaced with something essentially identical. The main barrier is the extensive adoptation by the public.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

2. No, actually Twitter was a significant driver of OSINT, not a small time player at all. It will be a significant detriment to the community
https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1593508571563581440?s=20&t=T-e1V1axC5Nx99hkO9W9qg

3. Twitter was also a significant way to highlight Russian abuses and fight Russian propaganda, so disagree here too: Its a significant blow to open trade of information that Ukraine thrived on to fight that.

Even if true, that still highlights a weakness with depending solely on a service that is privately owned and not (as it probably should have been) a public utility/good.

Russian abuses can be highlighted on any website that allows video uploads and there are sites that get far more eyeballs and traffic than twitter. That's not even getting into the fact that Facebook is by far the biggest pusher of RU propaganda to your average person; hell the whole internet spent years arguing about the effect it had on the 2016 election.

Twitter can't even beat Pinterest in monthly active users.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1294865/time-spent-mobile-social-apps-worldwide/
https://www.statista.com/statistics/272014/global-social-networks-ranked-by-number-of-users/

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Nov 18, 2022

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

BadOptics posted:

Even if true, that still highlights a weakness with depending solely on a service that is privately owned and not (as it probably should have been) a public utility/good.

Russian abuses can be highlighted on any website that allows video uploads and there are sites that get far more eyeballs and traffic than twitter. That's not even getting into the fact that Facebook is by far the biggest pusher of RU propaganda to your average person; hell the whole internet spent years arguing about the effect it had on the 2016.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1294865/time-spent-mobile-social-apps-worldwide/
https://www.statista.com/statistics/272014/global-social-networks-ranked-by-number-of-users/

The Pinterest comment made me chuckle.

I don't use it, don't have an account (At least I don't think I do...), yet constantly see it show up in search results. I'm not sure who these Pinner people are, but they post all day every day.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BadOptics posted:

Russian abuses can be highlighted on any website that allows video uploads and there are sites that get far more eyeballs and traffic than twitter. That's not even getting into the fact that Facebook is by far the biggest pusher of RU propaganda to your average person; hell the whole internet spent years arguing about the effect it had on the 2016 election.

Pintrest is not nearly as visible as Twitter is the problem. Its not as user friendly.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Also, as an aside, I really wish musk would buy Pinterest and kill it like he's doing Twitter but even faster. Not only is image searching a loving nightmare when Pinterest is added, but I work in weddings. Pinterest alone has destroyed more wedding plans and caused more explosions of anger at weddings, then alcohol.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Mastodon is reminding me of why I loving despise the cargo cult around dEcEnTrAlIzEd aPpLiCaTiOnS. Not only are the communities siloed as gently caress, they each have to bear the burden of ramping up their own infrastructure? Anything worth doing is worth doing at scale, but it's absolutely essential they then be protected from clowns like Musk waltzing in and setting them on fire.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cugel the Clever posted:

Mastodon is reminding me of why I loving despise the cargo cult around dEcEnTrAlIzEd aPpLiCaTiOnS. Not only are the communities siloed as gently caress, they each have to bear the burden of ramping up their own infrastructure? Anything worth doing is worth doing at scale, but it's absolutely essential they then be protected from clowns like Musk waltzing in and setting them on fire.

Eh, its not a terrible product. Yeah, it has a lot of overhead due to the whole "You gotta host your own" but it at least functions and has possibility.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
My old roommate is building her ADU based off plans she got off pinterest.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

I was in the OSINT space at the same time Brown Moses was starting his thing in the Middle East thread (and later the Ukraine conflict in 2014) and Twitter's importance was so valuable in terms of developing an understanding of what was happening in the Libyan and Syrian civil wars and also the Raba'a al-Adawiya massacre in Egypt in 2013. I used it extensively in analyzing and geolocating ISIS' video releases, and learned some interesting things about their propaganda style in the process. Twitter wasn't a perfect medium, but it was really great at the time for what one could learn from it.

Also lmao, lol
https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1593511129665667074?s=20&t=cqHF7Ns832DScmMKr0E5NA

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

lightpole posted:

My old roommate is building her ADU based off plans she got off pinterest.

I'm curious if these plans were actually accepted and approved by the county/city.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I was in the OSINT space at the same time Brown Moses was starting his thing in the Middle East thread (and later the Ukraine conflict in 2014) and Twitter's importance was so valuable in terms of developing an understanding of what was happening in the Libyan and Syrian civil wars and also the Raba'a al-Adawiya massacre in Egypt in 2013. I used it extensively in analyzing and geolocating ISIS' video releases, and learned some interesting things about their propaganda style in the process. Twitter wasn't a perfect medium, but it was really great at the time for what one could learn from it.

Also lmao, lol
https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1593511129665667074?s=20&t=cqHF7Ns832DScmMKr0E5NA

CSPAM is absolutely convinced that both of those guys are CIA assets, so them trying to come back and set up shop here would be the biggest drama-bomb this site has seen since KM's attempted forums coup.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Lemniscate Blue posted:

CSPAM is absolutely convinced that both of those guys are CIA assets, so them trying to come back and set up shop here would be the biggest drama-bomb this site has seen since KM's attempted forums coup.

Uh...get your LORE right, Higgins is MI5/MI6!!!! /s

Not sure which, too lazy to figure our which intel agency is the CIA equivalent from the failed stated known as the "UK". Guessing they (CSPAM) think it's both lol.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 18, 2022

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'm curious if these plans were actually accepted and approved by the county/city.

You need to get an architect to approve them but trusses go on this weekend. Plans cost $60 off Pinterest, architect approval was expensive but not anything like having them start from 0.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Lemniscate Blue posted:

KM's attempted forums coup.

I just spent the last 20 minutes trying to figure out what you were referring to and holy loving :lmao: I'm glad I did

Link for anyone else who had no idea who KM is

vv Considering the rate of LOLs per minute, I'd say it was time well spent

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 18, 2022

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Imagine spending any amount of minutes to sort out some forums drama.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

bees everywhere posted:

I just spent the last 20 minutes trying to figure out what you were referring to and holy loving :lmao: I'm glad I did

Link for anyone else who had no idea who KM is

Lol, I had a feeling it was *that* person, but I didn't really post/follow forum drama between 2020 to a few months ago (besides Lowtax's demise) so didn't realize there was a coup attempt lmfao.

Edit: Last off-topic post. Apologies.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 18, 2022

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

highme posted:

Imagine spending any amount of minutes to sort out some forums drama.

Someone tried to scold me for encouraging derails in pyf lmao

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Lemniscate Blue posted:

They still post on the forums and yes every so often someone rushes into QCS to get them permabanned BECAUSE they expose imperialist dictators for being evil monsters. It's really baffling.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Kchama posted:

They still post on the forums and yes every so often someone rushes into QCS to get them permabanned BECAUSE they expose imperialist dictators for being evil monsters. It's really baffling.

West bad, therefore anyone who opposes is good, therefore anyone investigating said opposers is even worse

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Kchama posted:

Then they should still post on the forums

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

CainFortea posted:

Also, as an aside, I really wish musk would buy Pinterest and kill it like he's doing Twitter but even faster. Not only is image searching a loving nightmare when Pinterest is added, but I work in weddings. Pinterest alone has destroyed more wedding plans and caused more explosions of anger at weddings, then alcohol.

I’m more in favor of them being forced to keep recipes under 10k words. Don’t need a history of tofu or three videos autoplaying, just tell me the measurements for the sauce.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I’m more in favor of them being forced to keep recipes under 10k words. Don’t need a history of tofu or three videos autoplaying, just tell me the measurements for the sauce.

It does suck, but it's the only way the people who made the recipes can get paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

BadOptics posted:

It does suck, but it's the only way the people who made the recipes can get paid.

I'm not an expert but I don't believe that could possibly be true.