Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The ultimatum had the effect everyone suspected it would have but even then the result is more hilarious than I could have hoped. Somehow this train wreck finds new ways to explode, like it struck another train head on that was carrying a hundred tankers of crude oil and they derailed into a gully that contained a volatile chemicals plant that exploded triggering an earthquake that exposed a lava rift, creating a new volcano. It just keeps going.

I can't actively destroy Twitter any more effectively than Musk's attempts to save the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
He's not even going to have the last tweet. $44b is a lot to spend on a fin dom humiliation fetish but I bet he's been rock hard all day everyday for the past month so who can say if it's been worth it to him or not.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

Buff Hardback posted:

someone on Blind (aka Silicon Valley gossip app) is reporting only 238 employees stayed on and the rest took the parachute

And how many of those people are on visas like H1b where you can change jobs, but if you're let go/quit you only get a month to actually find a new one? I'm guessing a chunk of those "signers" actually only did so as a means to interview elsewhere slightly more safely.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

238 at "Twitter hq" and the remaining ~640 at other locations would make sense

238 coders, 650 cafeteria staff

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI
It's fine they're gonna move the entire thing to the cloud. Startup mentality. Agile. Hardcore. It's the everything app.

Does anyone know anything about load balancing or BGP, all my network traffic is being directed to Tuvalu. Asking for a friend.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Since Tweets won't exist anymore, we will have to get our news about Musk fleeing from lenders on like CNN.com or something. Strange times.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Mr. Musk’s team also held meetings with undecided employees who are key to Twitter’s operations to try to persuade them to stay, three people said.

In one of those meetings, some employees were summoned to a conference room in the San Francisco office while others called in via videoconference. As the 5 p.m. deadline passed, some who had called in began hanging up, seemingly having decided to leave, even as Mr. Musk continued speaking, two people familiar with the meeting said.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

Unconfirmed blind chatter but dear god I’m crying I’m laughing so hard

https://twitter.com/wyntermitchell/status/1593382511098269696

oh m y god he really did bring comedy back

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
They’re going to be so desperate for employees by Monday I could probably clear by whatever interview they do (if any), get a job and then do nothing but leak content

Hardcastlemccormik fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 18, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

kazil posted:

238 coders, 650 cafeteria staff

Personally I'd estimate most of them are HR, Management, and maybe a handful of coders, but coders are not SREs or Infrastructure people, and those people seem to be all gone....

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I want the World Cup to destroy Twitter, but it'll be funnier if it dies before the World Cup.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
https://twitter.com/maplecocaine/status/1080665226410889217

What Elon Musk bought was the privilege of becoming the main character forever.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
https://twitter.com/nitashatiku/status/1593399704636620800

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Everyone really should be screenshotting any tweets you embed at this point, this thread's going to look like when Waffleimages died by this weekend.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Knormal posted:

Everyone really should be screenshotting any tweets you embed at this point, this thread's going to look like when Waffleimages died by this weekend.

This is true but for every tweet I embed here another server sets on fire

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Twitter careers page has one opening!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

morningdrew posted:

There's nobody left that knows how to edit the page

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

morningdrew posted:

Tempted to apply and find myself suddenly in charge of all infrastructure.

Can we get a status of the Twitter death pool? I want to know which goons were prescient enough to guess a date before Thanksgiving.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Azhais posted:

There's nobody left that knows how to edit the page
lol

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Crazy how many "You can find me at X" is going on on my TL right now lol.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
Twitter Blue should just grant you git repo admin access at this point

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Mr Musk sir I got about halfway through CS50 on EDX I got this put me in there coach

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

It will be interesting to see the ripple effects of tweets all disappearing. So much of the Trump presidency happened in tweets and we're about to lose the "original copies". Maybe a side effect of all this will be to teach people the importance of the Internet Archive

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

EVIL Gibson posted:

I would kill for a COBOL support job and only adjust reports. There are only <1000 positions open world wide but those positions are very secure.

If you can stand living in Baltimore, you can get a job with SSA tomorrow. The entire rickety structure runs on an old COBOL database, and every SSA system either makes inputs through IBM Personal Communicator terminals or uses a webpage skin over the same.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Also, uh, not to toot my own horn but on Nov 4th I called it

GD_American posted:

Elon doesn't even make it to Thanksgiving. November 20th, 2022.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Elon will surely run it himself, he doesn't need employees. Just one, as shown below:

He's super smart, you see.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Gubbinal Girl posted:

It will be interesting to see the ripple effects of tweets all disappearing. So much of the Trump presidency happened in tweets and we're about to lose the "original copies". Maybe a side effect of all this will be to teach people the importance of the Internet Archive

Do we know the mechanism by which Trump's tweets are preserved in the National Archives? Are they just ... printed out somewhere?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Charles Ford posted:

And how many of those people are on visas like H1b where you can change jobs, but if you're let go/quit you only get a month to actually find a new one? I'm guessing a chunk of those "signers" actually only did so as a means to interview elsewhere slightly more safely.

the blind poster claims that a crap ton of H1Bs took the salute option in solidarity

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
https://mobile.twitter.com/Jason/status/1593388924973432832

Elon’s Igor isn’t mad at all

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
This is amazing and I hope it costs Musk well over 44bn due to lawsuits and tanking his other companies due to association.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the staff remaining at twitter are the 3 percenters

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/anothercohen/status/1593404311832338442

Verified so you know it's real :eightbux:

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Elon carrying the sink around with the dumb grin on his face is going to be his version of the Trump escalator.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Toaster Beef posted:

Do we know the mechanism by which Trump's tweets are preserved in the National Archives? Are they just ... printed out somewhere?

Illuminated Manuscripts

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
lmao

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009

lmao no way, i refuse to believe this is true

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

theghostpt posted:

lmao no way, i refuse to believe this is true
It's not, it's a parody account

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

Toaster Beef posted:

Immediately after posting I remembered that the Library of Congress already archived a bunch of general tweets

Still though, I think most embeds of tweets require Twitter to be working. So many listicles of top 10 funniest tweets lost, like tears in rain

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Froghammer posted:

It's not, it's a parody account

it doesn't have (parody) in the name though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

kazil posted:

it doesn't have (parody) in the name though
https://twitter.com/anothercohen/status/1593407201913278464