Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Quorum posted:

In addition to the partisan gerrymanders, many states have completely legal and in fact court-mandated funky-shaped districts drawn to make sure a substantial racial minority, most often black folks, have a district where they can reliably elect a candidate of their choice. One of the big election-rules dramas this time was some states deliberately drawing fewer of these than they were supposed to, which the Supreme Court responded to by pretending to hear their mom calling them to dinner.

States which gained a seat due to population growth driven almost entirely by minorities went out of their way to ensure the new seat was held by a white guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I know this is D&D and I will eat the probe if necessary but ahahahahahaha

https://twitter.com/ditzkoff/status/1593396857111302145?t=InEX7EU38_lR3pGOM85tUg&s=19

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

rscott posted:

https://twitter.com/ditzkoff/status/1593396857111302145?t=InEX7EU38_lR3pGOM85tUg&s=19
"No one signed the pledge? Not a single person?"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

rscott posted:

Any mod who probates you for this is a terrible, soulless person. Oh and the probation would be kinda lovely too :haw:

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Tibalt posted:

"No one signed the pledge? Not a single person?"
I was joking but people are claiming that Twitter is down to triple digit number of employees:
https://twitter.com/wyntermitchell/status/1593382511098269696

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
We didn't start the fire, it was always burning since the world's been turning.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
One day, not too long from now, Twitter is going to break and no one will be left who can fix it

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

haveblue posted:

One day, not too long from now, Twitter is going to break and no one will be left who can fix it

1000 radiums typing at 1000 keyboards will eventually re-create twitter.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Tibalt posted:

I was joking but people are claiming that Twitter is down to triple digit number of employees:

"I understand what it is to die, I think," Pearson said abruptly. "Now I do, anyway. Not death itself, I still can't comprehend that. But dying. If I stop walking, I'll come to an end. "

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Eason the Fifth posted:

"I understand what it is to die, I think," Pearson said abruptly. "Now I do, anyway. Not death itself, I still can't comprehend that. But dying. If I stop walking, I'll come to an end. "

Except there's no billion dollar prize even theoretically waiting for the last one standing, it's just poo poo all the way down

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

So I was curious and looked up the details around electing the Speaker of the House. It's awarded to the winner of a straight majority vote (out of votes cast, not potential voters) on the first day the new Congress is sworn in. If there's no majority, the process is immediately repeated. This goes on until a Speaker is chosen. It's all of one sentence in the Constitution (Art. 1, Sec. 2). There's no real contingency for continued failed votes as far as I can tell, although there have been several Speaker-election crises, mostly leading up to the Civil War, and one of those ended up with the House agreeing to swear in whoever got a straight plurality after a two month period. This was apparently the first recorded coalition effort in the US Senate, and Mr. Banks sounds like a fella who led a pretty interesting life, but I don't know any more about him or the election than what's stated on the wiki page.

With McCarthy roughly 30 votes short of an outright majority at present, I can't imagine how much politicking will be going on between now and January. Could end up being a very entertaining day to tune in to C-Span!

Zero_Grade fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Nov 18, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'll believe it when I see it, I didn't think anyone in US politics did retirement anymore unless they'd been President at least.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Burn you stupid motherfucker, BURN! Maybe this is the end point of the Hell Timeline we're on, which it can be argued that Twitter started us off on.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Gerund posted:

Bipartisan Speaker of the House is the most poisoned chalice I can imagine. I think this is a plurality realizing that Kevin McCarthy is a spineless turd who has promosed 15 investigations going 24/7 to anyone who will listen to his offers. Someone who tells people no is what they need / want.

For max chaos the Dens should vote MTG for speaker, let the Freedom Caucus/Republicans show their full rear end

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/dril/status/1593412118681858048

Even loving dril has pulled the ripcord on hellsite. This is the end, my friends.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I just got banned from Twitter

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Wheeljack posted:

Think back to what it was like when Harris's senate seat had to be filled. There was intense pressure to fill the seat with another black woman and outrage by black leaders after it wasn't. To replace another senator, Dianne Feinstein no less, with a (straight!) white man would set off a firestorm.

Of course, the most democratic thing would be to fill the seat with someone without career ambitions, like Jerry Brown who could just serve out the term, so there could be an open election and the people could make their own choice. There's only been one open election for a California senate seat in the last 30 years, Harris's. One governor making two lifetime Senate appointments is a bit much.

I forgot about Harris's seat.

I think Newsome's number one choice to replace Feinstein was Karen Bass, but she just got elected Mayor of LA and it would be pretty disruptive to choose her now, so who is available that is better than Schiff?

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

cr0y posted:

I just got banned from Twitter

Twitter still has mods?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Twitter still has mods?

It’s all Elon now. The captain. Is going down with the ship.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Oracle posted:

It’s all Elon now. The captain. Is going down with the ship.

Of course the worst part is that he’s still going to walk away with hundreds of billions of dollars. At least he’s a complete laughingstock and shredded his genius visionary reputation in the process

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Charlz Guybon posted:

I forgot about Harris's seat.

I think Newsome's number one choice to replace Feinstein was Karen Bass, but she just got elected Mayor of LA and it would be pretty disruptive to choose her now, so who is available that is better than Schiff?

It's grim. If they pull the "black woman" card because they didn't play Harris with one, then uh... there's one black woman serving in the State Senate, but she (Sydney Kamlager) just got elected to Bass's old House seat, and San Francisco's mayor, I guess.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

haveblue posted:

Of course the worst part is that he’s still going to walk away with hundreds of billions of dollars. At least he’s a complete laughingstock and shredded his genius visionary reputation in the process

Twitter is 100% not going to be a profitable venture for him.

Dude paid like double market value and dinged Tesla stock pretty hard to finance the deal.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla takes a loving beating tomorrow either just because of the stink around him right now

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Musk could have managed twitter competently or even just done nothing and he was still going to take a huge loss on account of his buying it at MEME PRICES that were overvalued

On account of the him being the absolute most dumbshit boss possible, he's going to lose more

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

cr0y posted:

Twitter is 100% not going to be a profitable venture for him.

Dude paid like double market value and dinged Tesla stock pretty hard to finance the deal.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla takes a loving beating tomorrow either just because of the stink around him right now

I’m saying that in absolute terms, even if he loses every penny he sank into twitter he has plenty more left over. 44 billion is well below half his net worth.

Now if proving himself the worst boss in the world makes people take a second look at Tesla’s stock, then we are in for a fun time

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Don't forget the billion dollar annual interest payments.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Reminder that the Saudis have the second largest stake in Twitter after Musk

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I don't know how they expect this to sell well to the American electorate

https://twitter.com/brianbeutler/status/1593231416476991488

https://twitter.com/brianbeutler/status/1593233511506640898

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
They don't care about the American electorate.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

-Blackadder- posted:

She made the smart play here, going out on a high note and keeping her word.

It's difficult to overstate how much Pelosi has been Kobe for the Democrats. She'll be sorely missed.

what high note? Missed for what? In your opinion, what are her notable achievements?

All I can think of (recently) is going 0-2 in impeaching Donald Trump, a couple epic clapbacks to Donald Trump (tearing up his SOTU address, ironic/unironic clapping for him), and insider trading.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

what high note? Missed for what? In your opinion, what are her notable achievements?

All I can think of (recently) is going 0-2 in impeaching Donald Trump, a couple epic clapbacks to Donald Trump (tearing up his SOTU address, ironic/unironic clapping for him), and insider trading.

Also almost starting WW3!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I guess we’ll see how hard it is to assemble the votes to pass something, which she was occasionally in the position of doing.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

The appreciation for Pelosi has almost always centred around her skills at managing the caucus, and in that respect every legislative win of the relevant years was partially her achievement. Look at the 2017-2019 GOP for an example of what a more chaotic caucus does for getting things done.

Yea, she outright sucked at messaging and wasn't great on policy, but that is not what people appreciated her for.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Rigel posted:

Almost every state that has more than 6 CD's are going to have bizarrely-shaped districts that are drawn the way they are drawn specifically because one party is attempting to gently caress the other party out of a seat that they should probably have a chance at winning. (Take a look at Chicago for some great examples of the Dems aggressively screwing the GOP.)

Except in New York! All of their districts are very clean with neat borders!

my state, Maryland's, new borders (That will apply NEXT ELECTION) are decent, might gently caress the democrats out of a house seat(MD is heavily blue and 7D 1R... 1R is the eastern shore which is basically farmland and ocean city), but you know what, the borders are pretty and make actual sense given the states hosed up geography and the existence of Baltimore City.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

haveblue posted:

He's down to just one hundred billion of dollars now.

And owes $1 billion in interest for the next few decades.

Twitter really needs to turn around dramatically and become about 12x more profitable than it ever was in order for this to not be a huge money loser for him.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Reminder that the Saudis have the second largest stake in Twitter after Musk

It's just one Saudi Prince (George W. Bush's good friend Prince Al-Waleed). They only have a 4.8% stake and are a multi-billionaire, so they aren't going to the poorhouse and even if Twitter completely imploded it wouldn't impact the actual government of Saudi Arabia.

The few remaining people with private stakes in Twitter are:

- Prince Al-Waleed.
- The Qatari national development group.
- Jack Dorsey.

They all have tiny stakes, but it would have been amazing if they all went in bigger and Musk basically ruined some of the worst people in the world.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Apparently, only 238 people signed the letter Elon sent out asking them to pledge to working 24 hours for a few weeks to make "a hardcore" new Twitter and if you didn't sign the letter by 5 pm yesterday, then you are fired. They started with about 3,000.

They have also locked everyone out of the building today and won't be open until next week as they try to stop so many people from leaving that they can't function.

Allegedly, (this is not confirmed) they don't have any DevOp engineers left and if something happens that causes the service to go down, then they are in big trouble with no way to bring it back for a while.

https://twitter.com/HaysKali/status/1593425305464541186
https://twitter.com/HaysKali/status/1593439053034102784
https://twitter.com/karaswisher/status/1593584177374535682

Musk seems to be handling it well.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1593453455972057090
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1593459039257563136

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 18, 2022

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Can't imagine anyone who isn't a completely reddit-brained redpilled psychopath signed that dumb thing. Even the most desperate workers would probably take 3 months' severance to jettison out of the burning ship.

I don't think twitter is going to shut down longterm anytime soon but I can't imagine what will be born from the ashes of this employee exodus is anything more than truth social by another name. poo poo is gonna be weird and gross fast.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm just wondering how long until the suspiciously similar Chirper goes up, run by the same staff that used to run Twitter.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
I don’t understand why everyone keeps talking about the debt and billion dollar interest payments. the rules don’t apply to the wealthy the same as us.

The banks will 100% restructure or forgive that debt in hopes of getting more business from Elon in the future. Twitter is not taking him down, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Cru Jones posted:

I don’t understand why everyone keeps talking about the debt and billion dollar interest payments. the rules don’t apply to the wealthy the same as us.

The banks will 100% restructure or forgive that debt in hopes of getting more business from Elon in the future. Twitter is not taking him down, sorry.

what if he shovels money from his other businesses into Twitter to keep it up