Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Check out this blank-rear end wall.

I wanna fill it up, and a thought that came to
mind was a bunch of LED RGB fuckery. Anyone know of a good LED wall art project that isn’t too simple, but still doable for a hobbyist? Size is not a problem!

I found this, which looks cool:

https://youtu.be/g6n8XLmZ__I

But ideally it wouldn’t be hooked up to my vital signs.

Here's a thing I made:

https://i.imgur.com/KQ3rDND.mp4

Here's the source code:

https://git.woozle.org/neale/wallart

And here's the source code to the optional animation server I made so I can send my daughter little things when she's away in college.

https://git.woozle.org/neale/wallart-server

cruft fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone know of a good way to find the biggest batty cell that would fit in a given volume? The volume is fixed (existing laptop) and custom sizes aren't an option since I'd only need 2 cells.

I know I can just search aliexpress but it's basically trial and error. And I tried digikey but the sizes aren't separate dimensions I could filter independently so that blows.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Oof... SM8 is not the same as SOIC-8... And only one company still manufactures a PCA9306 in SOIC-8 form factor. Thankfully it's still in stock at one distributor and only cost me $10 for extra shipping. It could have been new PCB time...

The lesson is: double-check the package information listed by digikey and mouser. They're good but not perfect.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

mobby_6kl posted:

Does anyone know of a good way to find the biggest batty cell that would fit in a given volume? The volume is fixed (existing laptop) and custom sizes aren't an option since I'd only need 2 cells.

I know I can just search aliexpress but it's basically trial and error. And I tried digikey but the sizes aren't separate dimensions I could filter independently so that blows.

Take your measurements, and turn it into a part number:

https://www.batterylipo.com/lipo-battery/

With the caveat that not all part numbers will actually exist. Then, search AliExpress for that part number.

Actual battery capacities will be maybe ballpark, but largely made up, so just assume that bigger=better in most cases

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ante posted:

Take your measurements, and turn it into a part number:

https://www.batterylipo.com/lipo-battery/

With the caveat that not all part numbers will actually exist. Then, search AliExpress for that part number.

Actual battery capacities will be maybe ballpark, but largely made up, so just assume that bigger=better in most cases

Thanks! Seems like there are only a couple candidates and they don't overlap much with what's available on ali.

This one would've been perfect if it was like 55mm wide too for example, though it would do if it comes to it.

The capacities are... yeah. All over the place. I'm not too optimistic about them being accurate but OTOH if this one had the (claimed) density of the stock battery, it would've been 6Ah. So maybe 5Ah is in the ballpark at least, I've had decent success with drone LiPos performing as expected before.

E:
Could anyone ID the type of these white connecctors? I mean the type of socket... I'm quite sure at this point at least one of them near the heatsink is for a fan, which I want to install there

mobby_6kl posted:

I've been looking at the internals of my cheap Chinese laptop and it's pretty interesting what's left inside :)

There's this empty 4-pin connector:

Same one from the other side:

And another one, the inside shape seems to be the same, 4 pins:

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Nov 9, 2022

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Is there truly nowhere to get a Raspberry Pi Zero W or a Pi 4 for under $150? I finally have 2 project ideas but lol at spending that much money on a simple SBC

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think if you search back in the thread, Shame Boy posted a link to a site that tracks which places have Raspberries Pi in stock and at what price

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Sagebrush posted:

I think if you search back in the thread, Shame Boy posted a link to a site that tracks which places have Raspberries Pi in stock and at what price

Oh thanks, that's a good tip.

e: nope, out of stock everywhere

Sir Bobert Fishbone fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 12, 2022

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yo have to keep watching it, but it likely will never get better as everyone wants one.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
A truly dire time for people with dumb ideas who finally have a little free time on their hands

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I know how you feel. I had to pay double for a RPi 3A+ to use for my senior design project.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I watched it for a week and was able to buy two Zero 2 Ws for $15 each back in Januaryish. No idea what's happened in the year since, though.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I put one of these together today :shobon:

Hardest part was the decorative legs. The soldering was just tedious.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I actually have an rpi4 that I think I'm ready to admit I'm not going to end up using that I could probably part with.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Pollyanna posted:

I put one of these together today :shobon:

Hardest part was the decorative legs. The soldering was just tedious.

Shout out to evil mad scientist labs and their customer support. I have their X-Y plotter for signing Christmas cards the professional way and it owns.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Yeah I finally have a use for Pi's for the first time in my life and now they will never be in stock ever again. Did at least pick up some compute module 4's before those went out of stock though so that's nice.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I actually have an rpi4 that I think I'm ready to admit I'm not going to end up using that I could probably part with.

Let me know if you make a decision! I have buttons, screens, and ADCs for days but I'm trying to build a little device to make it easier to digitize my 78rpm record collection.

When I get a Zero W I'm going to gut and replace the internals of a lovely useless cloud-based automatic cat feeder that apparently lost its servers a while back.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
If it's just a cat feeder you might be able to use an esp32 board instead.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Splode posted:

If it's just a cat feeder you might be able to use an esp32 board instead.

Yeah but there's a camera on it that I'm hoping to bring back to life too. Might end up starting with one of my ESP32s for basic functionality in the interim.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

There's ESP32 camera boards but I tried one with RTSP streaming and while the picture is pretty good it's low FPS and has a couple of seconds of delay over wifi. Pretty cool for like $9, though.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I have an ESP with the camera module and I think it would be perfectly fine for the purpose of cat monitoring. I've used it to take hourly shots and upload them to aws though.

Also, probably should've posted this yesterday when I bought it on sale but it was like 2am so... there's a USB-C thermal camera that unlike most other budget ones is 256x192 and comes with an detachable macro lens, which makes it actually useful for electronics. It was like $50 less yesterday so maybe keep an eye on it https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004740419275.html

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I just mailed my Pi Zero W to a friend who needed one to bootstrap a PDP-7 he's got one of his college classes restoring.

I was sad to see it go, even though it had been collecting dust on a shelf, and even though I know bootstrapping a PDP-7 is a far more heroic job than any stupid task I could have dreamed up for it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh man, I must still have a Zero W sitting somewhere, I set it up for Pi Hole a few years ago and haven't seen it since :v: had to actually check my DNS settings to find its ip and then ping it, seems to be still working lol.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Dear friends

Some months ago I asked some assistance to figure out the currents in this circuit

It's an open source PIC programmer available here.

It's an old project but it looks simple and, after reading the source code a bit, it seems like I could eventually expand on it.

However, I am not making it work. I did and rechecked the circuit in the breadboard a bunch of times and ended up shelling out for a good breadboard. I realized that it was written for the Raspberry 2 and mine (a 4B) uses a different microprocessor, so I had to change the base address for peripherals.

After checking the circuit and everything several times, I am at a loss. The circuit seems to check out (currents and stuff), and I have checked the wiring a thousand times, to put everything in the correct pin.

So three questions:

- Where and how should I continue debugging? Where should I look? How do I overcome the problem that there are several moving parts and I dont know which one is broken?

- The github repository has an updated version of the circuit, you can find it here. It has a jumper J1 across the Q7 transistor. What's the point of that?

- Is there a better maintained, more modern project that does what I want it to? (Program pics with my raspberry or computer)

Thank you in advance.

VVV Thanks a million, you are cool. Will do.

Dawncloack fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Nov 16, 2022

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

Dawncloack posted:

Dear friends

Some months ago I asked some assistance to figure out the currents in this circuit

It's an open source PIC programmer available here.

It's an old project but it looks simple and, after reading the source code a bit, it seems like I could eventually expand on it.

However, I am not making it work. I did and rechecked the circuit in the breadboard a bunch of times and ended up shelling out for a good breadboard. I realized that it was written for the Raspberry 2 and mine (a 4B) uses a different microprocessor, so I had to change the base address for peripherals.

After checking the circuit and everything several times, I am at a loss. The circuit seems to check out (currents and stuff), and I have checked the wiring a thousand times, to put everything in the correct pin.

So three questions:

- Where and how should I continue debugging? Where should I look? How do I overcome the problem that there are several moving parts and I dont know which one is broken?

- The github repository has an updated version of the circuit, you can find it here. It has a jumper J1 across the Q7 transistor. What's the point of that?

- Is there a better maintained, more modern project that does what I want it to? (Program pics with my raspberry or computer)

Thank you in advance.

The best thing to do would be to get an oscilloscope on the PIC pins and see if they're getting the expected waveforms when you run the code to program it. If you don't have an oscilloscope, you could learn a lot just by adding an LED to each pin (with it's anode on the GPIO and its cathode on a 10k resistor with its other lead grounded, so it lights when the signal is high). That way you can at least determine whether anything is happening at all and whether all of the pins are changing. If you have source code for the part that runs on the Pi, you can also add delays (say, a call to sleep(1) each time you change a signal). Then it becomes possible to do things like check VPP with a multimeter and make sure it's at the appropriate value.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Sagebrush posted:

Thanks again for this, just snagged a Zero 2 W!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I have no memory of posting that and can't find it in my own post history, mind linking it again :v:

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Shame Boy posted:

I have no memory of posting that and can't find it in my own post history, mind linking it again :v:

Lol https://rpilocator.com/

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Thanks, bookmarking it this time :v:

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
Is there an electronics repair thread? I have a ~20yo home stereo reciever that has started making a 60Hz buzzing noise. I am confident that it's not a ground loop: it is physically vibrating the chassis.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

Is there an electronics repair thread? I have a ~20yo home stereo reciever that has started making a 60Hz buzzing noise. I am confident that it's not a ground loop: it is physically vibrating the chassis.

Not sure if there's a dedicated thread but plenty of people post in here about it so it's fine if you wanna.

That sorta sounds like a transformer inside might have come a little loose, they vibrate a tiny bit normally due to a phenomenon called magnetostrsiction, and if the screws holding em' down back out a bit they can start rattling.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You made that word up.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

You made that word up.

You're right! The actual word is magnetostriction and I added an extra S for some reason.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
fun fact that is what causes coil whine... the magnetic field shakes toroids on the pcb as the circuit cycles at its frequency as they charge and uncharge.

there is also cap whine in LCD screens...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It is also the same effect that makes the high-pitched whistle of a camera flash charging up, the whine of an old TV, and the buzzing and clunking noises in MRI machines, among many more sounds.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
I have a little electronic chess game with a weird issue. The first time you flick the switch to turn it on after not having used it for a while it will take some time to turn on (leds lighting up, speaker beeping). If you turn it off and back on again right away it will then start up right away. It's like there's something that needs time to charge up in there. I replaced the only electrolytic cap on the board but it's still happening. Any ideas?

It's not a battery thing because it does it with the mains adapter too.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I have a little electronic chess game with a weird issue. The first time you flick the switch to turn it on after not having used it for a while it will take some time to turn on (leds lighting up, speaker beeping). If you turn it off and back on again right away it will then start up right away. It's like there's something that needs time to charge up in there. I replaced the only electrolytic cap on the board but it's still happening. Any ideas?

It's not a battery thing because it does it with the mains adapter too.

Did it used to not do this?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Splode posted:

Did it used to not do this?

I only just got it. It's like from 1981 though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It may be totally normal for it to do that. What you've described does sound like a capacitor charging up, and retaining a charge for a short time after being powered off. Perhaps it is a power supply filtering cap. Maybe the device is so old that its mains adapter is only half-bridge rectified, or isn't at all?

If the slow charging is the normal behavior, of course replacing it won't do anything. Hard to say without seeing the circuit obviously. How many farads is this capacitor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I don't think the capacitor is the issue, there's probably something limiting the current into the device that results in the capacitor taking a bit longer to charge.
Given it is from the 80s, it may just be that way.