Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I, for one, am glad of Elon Musk's suffering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Lol at everything

Earlier this year a bunch of Space X employees came into my neighborhood bar to celebrate a milestone and bitched when they were told the bar doesn’t take American Express. They ran up a $350+ tab and tipped $20

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Craig K posted:

"well, i certainly predicted the something awful forums would outlive twitter," i said, lying through my teeth

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Craig K posted:

"well, i certainly predicted the something awful forums would outlive twitter," i said, lying through my teeth
What is dead my never die, but rises again harder and stronger.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Are we even sure the forums will continue to work when every Twitter embed has to time out?

I'm pretty sure if that ends up being a problem the embed code will just get disabled just need to wait for an admin to wake up. Assuming it ends up being a problem.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Now that I’m some years out from college—- bragging about any undergrad major is loving crazy.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Youth Decay posted:

Hell most of modern society is so thoroughly integrated into twitter that it collapsing is going to have insane rippling effects everywhere.

Jeffrey should probably prep the forums for that possibility.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I hope the dog has a fun time at the beach

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Waffle House posted:

Incompetent dicksucking self-flensing ftw

Bless you for teaching me “flense”, as this is a wonderful real-world example

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Craig K posted:

Ok Jeffrey, time to bring out the wallet again

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Finally, my habit of obsessively blocking Twitter embeds and opening them in a private browsing window will pay off when I am the only poster able to load the forums without crashing my browser!

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

"Self taught infrastructure engineer" sounds like a 4 word horror story from a tech convention.

Spoggerific posted:

I've lived here for six years. Yeah, it is. A lot of people will be inconvenienced when Twitter finally kicks the bucket, and there's been surprisingly little coverage of the whole debacle in non-niche Japanese-language sources, so a lot of people are going to be blindsided by this.

EDIT: I just took a quick look at Twitter's trends in Japan and it looks like none of the top 20 are even about this whole debacle, lol

My one college buddy who lives in Japan has bitched repeatedly about Japanese social media sucking really hard, so I can believe it.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Zombo.com will probably outlive all of us. I take comfort in that thought.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Alucard posted:

We're just going back to IRC and Usenet after this right?

Forums, Unix ssh worlds, Minecraft.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

madmatt112 posted:

Bless you for teaching me “flense”, as this is a wonderful real-world example

Flense is the forums' new favorite word

It's how we identify Judy Blume kids

e: Or perhaps Ren & Stimpy kids

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

Deki posted:

"Self taught infrastructure engineer" sounds like a 4 word horror story from a tech convention.
in my experience if you're actually a decent infrastructure engineer you wouldn't say "self taught" because that's implicit in "infrastructure engineer"

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

I thought this was apropos

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

kazil posted:

all the guess itt of twitter lasting months were wildly optimistic

I was saying it wouldn't last till the end of the year.

It dying after less than a single month is just staggering.

This is even funnier than the time Musk headbutted the production line at Tesla.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

https://twitter.com/kellylynnedang/status/1593432252423147522

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I can see new posts in this thread, but it’s reading “0 new posts” when I look at it in the forum view.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I don’t use twitter much beyond whet I read here but a lot of people get all of their news and social connections from it. I am sure a lot of us here get it from these forums the same way. .

Elons going to kill twitter. And some people will not think they can live without it either. It’s going to impact them really badly. And their families too.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
this just in: Elon has appointed a special master to run Twitter

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

https://twitter.com/betsyrossmuseum/status/1593433428245954566

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

DeeplyConcerned posted:

this just in: Elon has appointed a special master to run Twitter

Is it the self-taught coder?

BRICKFACE
Apr 20, 2002

I BITE
if I were a vendor for Twitter I would choose now to release breaking API changes

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Craig K posted:

https://twitter.com/johnsjr9/status/1593413891618480129

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

BlackIronHeart posted:

For real, anyone embedding a tweet should just take a screenshot because Twitter is about to join Waffleimages.

Elon is going to buy imgur next and run it into the ground in a week by trying to make it into a music sharing/payment processing site.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I would be embarrassed to make this mistake at my job and I'm a god damned accountant. These are supposed to be the most hardcore engineers on the planet?

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Figures, I missed it by that much. "Gentlemen, it has been a privilege LOLing with you tonight."

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Comstar posted:

I don’t use twitter much beyond whet I read here but a lot of people get all of their news and social connections from it. I am sure a lot of us here get it from these forums the same way. .

Elons going to kill twitter. And some people will not think they can live without it either. It’s going to impact them really badly. And their families too.

Facebook is still around. They can still text. It is insanely, bafflingly hosed up to look at people being so hyperdependent on a microblogging app that its absence will bring their lives and the lives of their families crashing down and kvetching about it. It should never have gotten that far to begin with. This stupid website collapsing will frankly be a godsend for the mental health of a lot of people

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

kilus aof posted:

What a genius move, fire half the work force, start fights with your own engineers on Twitter and then fire them, cancel remote work with little warning and then give people the choice of endless crunch or getting 3 months severance.

Don't forget, trying to backpedal on half of these when he realized too many key people were leaving. Just a masterclass in mismanagement

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://twitter.com/firstadopter/status/1593442298473365504

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

Shoulda used PMs, not DMs. It's in the name.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Heath posted:

Facebook is still around. They can still text. It is insanely, bafflingly hosed up to look at people being so hyperdependent on a microblogging app that its absence will bring their lives and the lives of their families crashing down and kvetching about it. It should never have gotten that far to begin with. This stupid website collapsing will frankly be a godsend for the mental health of a lot of people

I mean otoh it's very funny that swifties and BTS stans who spend every waking moment on twitter searching for things to spam death threats at will have to find a new hobby, but we're also talking about people like small independent artists who are gonna lose a major way of getting their art out there and taking commissios and stuff. The death of Twitter is genuinely gonna mean thousands of people fail to make rent that month

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Lol I heard a very credible insider story that Elon got an explicit in person warning from Twitter Blue lead engineers that rolling out the blue check mark hastily could be abused in a variety of ways. Elon decided to fire at least one of the tech leads and the rest is history.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

I was looking for an old DM conversation a couple of weeks back, but it was gone because the other person’s account got deleted.

Suddenly tonight, it was back, but only my half of the conversation.

I wonder how long before the whole thing shows up again.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Anybody who didn't delete their account the Friday he took control gets what's coming to them.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
this just in: the special master appointed to run Twitter has now resigned, citing an unacceptable high level of taint in the organization. she recommended company leadership immediately dispatch a taint team to investigate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Can't wait for Twitter to default on their loans and be the domino that finally pushes us into a full blown financial crisis.