Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Nyaawn posted:

it'll be hard, Nahida is basically personal friends with us in a way none of the other archons are

Venti's a capricious troll, Zhongli's so terminally law brained he won't break a NDA for anyone, and Raiden spent most of her Archon quest trying to murder us. Nahida's the first archon who's actually made a good faith effort to help us as much as possible rather than just using us for their own agenda at best, or trying to kill us at worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
zhongli mostly comes across as just "out of touch and a man/dragon of his word" in the main archon quest but his personal story stuff really pushes home the idea that yeah, this is not someone primarily motivated by morality, this is someone with a completely inhuman frame of reference and you're just lucky it lines up with helping you out and leaving humanity alone

Kale
May 14, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

zhongli mostly comes across as just "out of touch and a man/dragon of his word" in the main archon quest but his personal story stuff really pushes home the idea that yeah, this is not someone primarily motivated by morality, this is someone with a completely inhuman frame of reference and you're just lucky it lines up with helping you out and leaving humanity alone

The Zhongli we know apparently wasn't always even this way and just used to be a brute before the goddess of dust Guizhong apparently evened him out and civilized him. He definitely still seems to have an absolutist unempathetic side to him similar to Raiden when challenged on his belief system that is most evident in his interactions with Wanyan after she breaks her contract with him. He also seems to find the goddess of salt more pitiable for her weakness rather than showing any sort of sympathy towards her or her people in a kind of "sucks to be her" sort of take on her demise. Like he was just one of the big players in the Archon war and she wasn't and didn't make it and that's just kind of whatever, not like there was any sort of contract involved or anything.

Venti does seem to care what happens to Mondstadt in the long run, it just takes it being on the verge of near collapse for him to actually intervene in it's affairs in the past and present. The aristocracy there was able to rape and pillage the city state for what seems like centuries before things just got to such an intolerable degree that he figured he had to check in on things right as Venessa was about to overthrow them anyway and he only really give her an assist when the current Lawrence head was going to cheat the coliseum terms anyway. It's not that any of the Archons are bad guys, but you can see their indifference to human suffering compared to Nahida unless it's plainly shoved in their face that its gotten to a degree where it directly conflicts with their ideals.

Pope Urbane II
Nov 25, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

so Genshin is a stealth Book of the Long Sun adaptation?

Other twin is Severian. It's canon now.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

In Venti's case, I think it's less that he doesn't care and more that he's so committed to Mondstadt's freedom that he only wants to intervene if it seems like it's truly well out of their hands to deal with it on their own. We've seen him be pretty compassionate to his people in his own way. And there was that time he basically personally blessed Stanley when he was on the brink of despair (though Stanley still seems not entirely okay but anyways).

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Venti doesn't have a good grasp on what "freedom" is supposed to mean. For a few centuries he thought of it as freedom from gods, but that didn't quite work out. He doesn't like exercising any authority and even plays god for Stanley very reluctantly. Venti doesn't even want to get in the way of Mondstadt's own religion, which is dedicated to him! He sneaks around and steals the lyre instead. I think there's still a lot more to him that we'll learn later.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Kale posted:

It's not that any of the Archons are bad guys, but you can see their indifference to human suffering compared to Nahida unless it's plainly shoved in their face that its gotten to a degree where it directly conflicts with their ideals.

That's sort of the fundamental 'problem of evil', it's a thing in real life religious philosophy too. If you have gods running around but the world is still full of strife and suffering (which it kinda has to be to be a good game with conflict etc for the player to engage in) then the gods have to be either unaware of the problems (Raiden), amoral / unwilling to do anything about them (Zhongli, Venti), or powerless to help (Baby radish locked up in High Sage Jail).

If they were all good gods there wouldn't be anything left for tabibito-san to fix.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

If they were all good gods there wouldn't be anything left for tabibito-san to fix.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I don't think the Paimon was thr villain all along!" stuff is gonna pan out, as fun as it is as a joke.
I think it's more likely she'll be a fledgling god on the same sort of path as Venti was before his ascent and maybe take up whatever role is left unfufilled when the traveler eventually has to defeat the big bad.

Of course part of that could be she's a backup or shard of that cosmic force and there's some conflicted loyalty/nature vs how she's grown in her travels with you or whatever might come into play.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Kale posted:

The Zhongli we know apparently wasn't always even this way and just used to be a brute before the goddess of dust Guizhong apparently evened him out and civilized him.

Yeah, and I like how you hear that side of him when you're using him in combat; I'm basing this on the English VA, but he sounds almost like a different person when he's fighting compared to when you're just chatting with him, which I think is a really nice touch.

I've been avoiding the thread to avoid spoilers, but I'm trying to make one more run at snagging Nahida before she disappears and I should be caught up soon (I had guaranteed pity when she first dropped, so of course I pull Jean instead of her). I feel cursed when it comes to pulling Archons; Raiden's still the only one I've pulled at this point :sigh:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Layla is on the good poo poo

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah, and I like how you hear that side of him when you're using him in combat; I'm basing this on the English VA, but he sounds almost like a different person when he's fighting compared to when you're just chatting with him, which I think is a really nice touch.

I've been avoiding the thread to avoid spoilers, but I'm trying to make one more run at snagging Nahida before she disappears and I should be caught up soon (I had guaranteed pity when she first dropped, so of course I pull Jean instead of her). I feel cursed when it comes to pulling Archons; Raiden's still the only one I've pulled at this point :sigh:

There's a bunch of interesting quirks between the different language versions of a ton of characters, and I'm not sure how much of it is down to different direction or how they tried to convey something, or just details not conveyed to non native speakers.
An example of one I dislike: the decision to give Xinyan a southern/country voice in English. It strikes me as a game of telephone where unrefined/bumpkin dialect and mannerisms were translated way too literally instead of giving her a 'punk' voice which I think would be more fitting.
One I like: the Japanese version of Gorou growls a little in some of his combat lines.

In general I find myself liking the Chinese versions of most characters, because the Japanese and English version of nearly all of the female characters are waay too high pitched -especially Piamon. A lot of the English delivery sounds like it's from a low budget cartoon aimed at young children, which I find grating.

Like some others I totally wish you could set character voices individually, since English Fischl is probably the best version of her and Oz.
Are there any characters you particularly like on one voice set or loathe on it?
I know the common version people wishlist is "English for Monstad, Chinese for Liyue, Japanese for Inazuma based characters" just for flavor.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

On the flip side you're really missing out on some characters in English like Fischl & Tighnari.

"What are they gonna do? Arrest me? I dare them."

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

also wow fungi event is boring as gently caress

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

YoshiOfYellow posted:

On the flip side you're really missing out on some characters in English like Fischl & Tighnari.

"What are they gonna do? Arrest me? I dare them."

Yeah, some characters just have a hands down amazing version in one language. Like we both agree English Fischl is best Fischl.
Japanese Miko is pretty great too.
I also feel both Chinese and Japanese Itto really knock it out of the park.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Coolness Averted posted:

In general I find myself liking the Chinese versions of most characters, because the Japanese and English version of nearly all of the female characters are waay too high pitched -especially Piamon. A lot of the English delivery sounds like it's from a low budget cartoon aimed at young children, which I find grating.

This is funny because more often than not, the Japanese have lower pitch voices than the English. Yanfei and Miko are the biggest examples, even JP Collei and Nahida are way deeper sounding.

And Venti/Bennet are voiced by guys in JP despite the stereotype that English took up and made them voiced by women.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Coolness Averted posted:

I know the common version people wishlist is "English for Monstad, Chinese for Liyue, Japanese for Inazuma based characters" just for flavor.
"Mondstadters aren't Americans!" I continue to insist as I slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Tae posted:

This is funny because more often than not, the Japanese have lower pitch voices than the English. Yanfei and Miko are the biggest examples, even JP Collei and Nahida are way deeper sounding.

And Venti/Bennet are voiced by guys in JP despite the stereotype that English took up and made them voiced by women.
Xingqiu, voiced by a woman in all four languages...

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Changing Venti and Diluc from English would feel wrong. EN Yanfei is also just pleasant to listen to.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

All Russian except French Fischl, final answer

Also, we already knew, but here's new banner info

https://twitter.com/GenshinImpact/status/1592369317261221889

https://twitter.com/GenshinImpact/status/1592366798003130373

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 18, 2022

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I kinda want c1 miko and I also kinda don't

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Hey a banner with characters I don't have and also Thoma is there.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I want Layla and hopefully it won't take too long but if it does well maybe Miko will come home.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Lobsterpillar posted:

Hey a banner with characters I don't have and also Thoma is there.

congrats on your soon to be c6 thoma. I didn't get my Nahida, so I think I'm jist waiting for banner or two to pull, especially since I'm at 60 or so pulls into a guaranteed pity.

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

InspectorCarbonara posted:

It would be incredibly funny if Paimon did turn evil/leave the party and the game did the “x is currently busy with another quest” but for every single side quest in the game.

Theyll do it like warframe and slap a crappy filter on her model/voice

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm underwhelmed by Wanderer, but then I thought about it and between his skill and Nahida's it would probably make getting Philanemo Mushrooms less of a pain so I'm kinda on board if I should happen to get him by the time that banner comes around.

Either way, I'm excited to finally be able to do wishes again later today.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Nahida is no more your friend than any of the other gods. Her motivation (knowledge/curiosity) just happens to make her especially keen on you, because you are an exciting puzzle.

Really, most of the reason any of them like you to whatever degree they are capable of doing so boils down to your not being part of the System that runs teyvat.

Risutora posted:

Theyll do it like warframe and slap a crappy filter on her model/voice

Nah, nahida will just give you another better paimon. Maybe alice, I'm sure she'll show up by then.

Nyaawn posted:

also wow fungi event is boring as gently caress

It was interesting in the beginning, when there was interesting stuff in the background. Unfortunately, it went full pokemon, and dragged what could've been interesting along with it.

I'm just glad the new banner means I can stop getting razors, and possibly get a detective and some sort of sleepwalking astronomer out of it.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Very excited for Wanderer to have Kazuha-level overworld utility to make me feel bad for passing on him for Raiden.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

How is Miko with Nahida anyways? I like catalyst-users and tall characters so I'm tempted to roll.

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

Zenostein posted:

Nah, nahida will just give you another better paimon.
Just replace her with the flying pig and change her voice to Okami-babble.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Vargs posted:

How is Miko with Nahida anyways? I like catalyst-users and tall characters so I'm tempted to roll.

Her EM scaling makes her pretty good for an aggravate team, but with the caveat that she has a high burst cost and usually wants fischl as a battery. So IDK how well she'd do if you're using keqing/cyno/kuki etc as your only other electro, you might need to build more ER than usual on her. But otoh a team like nahida/yae/fischl/zhongli with nahida as the driver will probably work pretty well and be fun? I'm doing a similar team with beidou instead.

If you are doing hyperbloom then yae is just gonna be a pretty janky option to spend a lot of time placing turrets to get the same bloom damage but less reliably.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Better question: How is Miko if you don't get her 5* weapon? Because I'll use the Widsith if I have to.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Everyone is fine without their 5* weapon. Widsith is pretty decent considering in an aggravate team she can use all three buffs.
I wonder if the new sumeru catalyst is better for her than it is for Nahida since she can actually use the ER...

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Miko has a very satisfying Q

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Everyone is fine without their 5* weapon. Widsith is pretty decent considering in an aggravate team she can use all three buffs.
I wonder if the new sumeru catalyst is better for her than it is for Nahida since she can actually use the ER...

Doubt it, since she scales enough with ATK that losing it would be significant. That catalyst only really seems good on users who scale almost entirely with EM, have a burst worth using that's not cheap, and don't already have a much better 4* option. Can't really think of anyone who fits that description, though Sucrose comes close. Maybe Yanfei as a burgeon enabler who needs more shield uptime?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I should honestly test it to be sure but I feel like there's a big difference between a Noelle or Itto using a Whiteblind vs the Redhorn Stonethresher

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Woke up this morning and realized that my Genshin account is only linked to my Twitter, because of their two-factor authentication. Seems like a really bad idea right now.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Redhorn is one of the best weapons in the game and still only does ~136% as much dps as the poverty-option R1 Whiteblind, according to the charts on the keqingmains page for Itto.
(And it's a single-digit percentage difference vs r5 serpent spine.)

So like yeah you will notice doing more damage but it's not gamechanging levels, in the end the difference between hitting for 30k and hitting for 40k is not gonna affect your gameplay too much.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this second mushroom puzzle for that event. Is this some colorblind thing? There are 3 blue orbs and the other 6 orbs are all the same color! I can't copy anything else.

Edit: According to the internet, some of these are red and others are green. This was some comically bad color choice; I literally can't distinguish between the red and green orbs at all, because they're both a similar pale shade.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Nov 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

best of luck if you all pull on these banners, im saving so I can get 1 of Scaramouche Raiden or Ayato and then Dehya next year :shepicide: