Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

MM must be reading the thread because they've just put out this https://www.miniaturemarket.com/new-warehouse

quote:

we use forklifts now instead of manually pushing pallets and climbing ladders

quote:

Everyone on the office team, including customer service, is assisting by working in the warehouse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

SelenicMartian posted:

MM must be reading the thread because they've just put out this https://www.miniaturemarket.com/new-warehouse

There was a post on BGG the other day that after the warehouse move, a lot of labor resigned because the new warehouse was too far away. Complete conjecture, but makes sense why they'd be like "literally everyone is helping!!"

That said, I've heard it's more like 2-3 weeks from order to ship these days, where it was like 4-6 a month ago. I don't particularly hold a candle for MM since they're Asmodee, but I do like their price matching, so I'll probably try 'em again after the new year and see what's what.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

If they got a huge new warehouse, are they just a regular sized market now? :confused:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Hey folks, how is Alma Mater? Because at boardgamebliss.com, it's like 75% off and sorely tempting

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Is there any difference between the CGE and Z-Man versions of Tash-Kalar?

Yep, although unhelpfully i don't own it and can't tell you what they were. I just remember the CGE had a less outrageous price and enough comoponent differences that they saw fit to do like an update kit.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Morpheus posted:

Hey folks, how is Alma Mater? Because at boardgamebliss.com, it's like 75% off and sorely tempting

It's funny the games they try to blow out of inventory because you see them on sale constantly and the price drop gets bigger and bigger. That said they had an insane sale on Prophecy of Kings or whatever the TI4 expansion is called that I jumped on instantly because you never she poo poo like that go on sale.

Just got my shipping notice for John Company today, lol. Literal weeks after another I guy I know got his actual copy.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 18, 2022

Wheeler W Wetherby
Sep 30, 2004

• Has an O-level in camel-hygiene
  • Can count up to 4

Some Numbers posted:

Is there any difference between the CGE and Z-Man versions of Tash-Kalar?

Yeah, the components are noticeably better in the new version, for a lower price generally.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uec_o5Br1KM

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Morpheus posted:

I have not played it, but I agree with FulsomFrank is right that I see it on sale constantly. It presumably was a huge bomb for the publisher.

It's possible that it was in part due to a representation controversy leveled in a few places including here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2480517/re-alma-mater-representation. It's worse than the one around Paleo because the designers didn't immediately apologize. Instead, they tried to just say there just weren't people of color at European universities at the time, which is wrong but of course not everyone knows that. I sure didn't. Well, when corrected by Tom Lehmann (designer of RFTG) of all people, they seemingly just ignored it. In all reality, it probably just flopped because it looks boring, but that certainly didn't help matters.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

JoeRules posted:

There was a post on BGG the other day that after the warehouse move, a lot of labor resigned because the new warehouse was too far away. Complete conjecture, but makes sense why they'd be like "literally everyone is helping!!"

That said, I've heard it's more like 2-3 weeks from order to ship these days, where it was like 4-6 a month ago. I don't particularly hold a candle for MM since they're Asmodee, but I do like their price matching, so I'll probably try 'em again after the new year and see what's what.

That makes perfect sense, I think they moved from one end of the county to the other. They probably should've expected people wouldn't want to accept an extra 30-40min on their commute for a warehouse job. Seems like the kind of thing you'd plan for in advance though, from a management perspective.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Had time to squeeze in a couple games of John Company 2e, this time at two players plus the "Crown" AI. I heard Werhle say on stream that two players had sort of a Coop feel, but I'm not sure I quite agree with that.

Our first game we failed some 90% plus rolls and watched the company collapse on turn 2. The second we held out until mid turn 5 before we failed.

I think the Crown is a pretty cool take on the AI. Not too much trouble to run at 2 players. In fact, we pushed it so far out of power that it was really a non-entity.

Given that my fellow player was not of the very competitive sort, the game turned into a run away victory for me. There was still a little negotiation and bribery, but I'd say the game doesn't really hold up to the coop ideal. Yeah, you need to cooperate to keep the company afloat, but if neither of you is willing to use the crown against the other, it's really just a more lopsided fire-fighting game ala Pandemic. And it's not like higher counts don't require cooperation to keep the Company afloat...

If I run at 2p + crown again with coop in mind, I'll try bumping up the difficulty.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

tokenbrownguy posted:

Had time to squeeze in a couple games of John Company 2e, this time at two players plus the "Crown" AI. I heard Werhle say on stream that two players had sort of a Coop feel, but I'm not sure I quite agree with that.

Our first game we failed some 90% plus rolls and watched the company collapse on turn 2. The second we held out until mid turn 5 before we failed.

I think the Crown is a pretty cool take on the AI. Not too much trouble to run at 2 players. In fact, we pushed it so far out of power that it was really a non-entity.

Given that my fellow player was not of the very competitive sort, the game turned into a run away victory for me. There was still a little negotiation and bribery, but I'd say the game doesn't really hold up to the coop ideal. Yeah, you need to cooperate to keep the company afloat, but if neither of you is willing to use the crown against the other, it's really just a more lopsided fire-fighting game ala Pandemic. And it's not like higher counts don't require cooperation to keep the Company afloat...

If I run at 2p + crown again with coop in mind, I'll try bumping up the difficulty.

Thanks for this. I'm lusting after JoCo but the realist in me is saying that if I'm unlikely to ever find at least 2 more people to play with me, it's not worth it. Still backed Arcs for some reason despite the 3 player minimum.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

City of the Big Shoulders is an 18XX replacing the trains with Arkwright.

it's excellent.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jewmanji posted:

Thanks for this. I'm lusting after JoCo but the realist in me is saying that if I'm unlikely to ever find at least 2 more people to play with me, it's not worth it. Still backed Arcs for some reason despite the 3 player minimum.

I've played a couple of games at 5 player and its very very good. I'd say its the best semi-coop game out just now. Because of the flow of the game theres just constant interaction from all the players. That said I don't think it would be that great with fewer than 4 players. We did a learning game with 3 and it it was good, but comes alive at the higher numbers.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Played Star Trek Ascendancy yesterday, it was really fun! It's kind of like Twilight Imperium Lite. Has a fun thing where you start with just your homeworlds on the table, and you use a tape measure to make sure they're the right distance apart. Then whenever you explore, you have a variable length connector to the planet you go to, and you choose where to put it down. You can move other planets if they're only linked to a single planet, so you all kind of collaboratively design the map as you play. It has pretty crucial ramifications with choke points and ease of access to attack homeworlds etc, I won in the end because I managed to create a really tight choke point this way, despite not really having much of anything else going on. Also felt like anyone could win, right up to the last turn. Really cool and good, even if you're not a star trek fan. It's also very cool because the different factions all feel very unique, but the asymmetry feels fair and like if you really need to you could branch out in any direction.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
It's on my list, gets a lot of praise. Unfortunately, it's expensive. What does the thread think is the best Star Trek board game?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Perry Mason Jar posted:

It's on my list, gets a lot of praise. Unfortunately, it's expensive. What does the thread think is the best Star Trek board game?

Star Fleet Battles.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Fate Accomplice posted:

City of the Big Shoulders is an 18XX replacing the trains with Arkwright.

it's excellent.

I'm going off 2 plays years ago, but I disagree. The stocks aspect is so poorly implemented, it just adds time and upkeep but very little interesting decisions. There are so many safety rails around company ownership and money flows. Where to put your money is not the nailbiting game of trust and risk that it is in the better investment 18XXs.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Ah, is it? My friend was working at a FLGS but had to be let go, and bought it all with the last of their discount as a final hoorah. It does feel like a lot of stuff they've got (there are SO MANY expansions!) so can see it being expensive. It is good, but if you've got other things like it, (Eclipse, TI, etc) it probably doesn't really have enough else to it if it's dear.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Asmodee! :argh:

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Star Trek Fleet Captains. It uses HeroClix bases for your ships so you get to divert power to the systems you are using. Each factions cards and ships naturally encourages the player to play in the way that faction acts.

Ascendency is over-long and did not feel like Star Trek when I won by bringing a gigantic Starfleet armada to the Klingon homeworld to turn it into glass.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Got my copy of ark nova in today! Surprisingly nice stock photos of animals in it

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Splendor sux, Asmodee sux, sleeving games sux

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Crackbone posted:

Splendor sux, Asmodee sux, sleeving games sux

I actually have been enjoying Splendor Duel quite a bit. Splendor was thoroughly uninteresting to me, but they way duel makes chip selection a spacial puzzle is a lot of fun. I figured sleeving would help make it easier to shuffle the mini size cards, but of course the asmodee brand sleeves called out on the back of the box do not fit the insert.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Starship captains is a Not Star Trek™ game that I really enjoyed at a recent con. Was pretty quick (<1h for two players) and had a pretty fun system of crew management. Not particularly deep but I could see a half dozen or so plays holding up which depending on you is decent for it's preorder price take

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Jedit posted:

Star Fleet Battles.

Whether or not this is a snarky answer, I spent so much time playing SFB in college that it's become the default in my mind.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Any recommendations for board games for a family with kids aged 5 and 7,5?

I have not really looked into board games since the early 90s and am a bit overwhelmed. Back then the most complex game was Monopoly.
The amount of games out there now is astronomical and the complexity (or at least amount of various "buckets" to put stuff in) is enormous on some games.

There is a 40% discount on everything here now so i figured i'd pick up some games to play with the kids during the winter. We have already played a lot of 4-in-a-row and chess and they have a good grasp of those. The 7,5 year old is getting pretty good at chess; she beat my father at it once.
I am looking for games with a decent amount of "play factor" and "toy factor", e.g. interesting plastic pieces, several token types.

So far i have bought Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride "My first ride", Azul and Santorini. Am i missing any must haves? A cooperative game would be interesting but i did not find any obvious ones that would be good for children.
I looked into Sagrada, Skyline, My City, Patchwork but they all seem kinda similar to Azul (don't shoot me)

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Ineptitude posted:

Publisher HABA makes kid-friendly, kid-focused, or at least kid-appropriate games. To my knowledge, their two most critically acclaimed games are the children's game Rhino Hero (5+) and the family-weight Karuba (8+, so probably a stretch for a 5 year old). Much of the rest of the hobbyist board gaming world is focusing on 12 and up, which I have heard is more about toy safety reasons than any marketing reason.

I'd love to hear suggestions for families with kids under 12 because it's not an area I know much about, outside of what I've said already. If we get a reasonable number of suggestions, we could add some to the OP for any other goon childhavers out there, since it is an entirely different angle than trying to entertain adults or even teenagers.

Macdoo
Jul 24, 2012

Bad Tabletop Opinions Haver

Ineptitude posted:

I have not really looked into board games since the early 90s and am a bit overwhelmed. Back then the most complex game was Monopoly.
The amount of games out there now is astronomical and the complexity (or at least amount of various "buckets" to put stuff in) is enormous on some games.

There is a 40% discount on everything here now so i figured i'd pick up some games to play with the kids during the winter. We have already played a lot of 4-in-a-row and chess and they have a good grasp of those. The 7,5 year old is getting pretty good at chess; she beat my father at it once.
I am looking for games with a decent amount of "play factor" and "toy factor", e.g. interesting plastic pieces, several token types.

So far i have bought Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride "My first ride", Azul and Santorini. Am i missing any must haves? A cooperative game would be interesting but i did not find any obvious ones that would be good for children.
I looked into Sagrada, Skyline, My City, Patchwork but they all seem kinda similar to Azul (don't shoot me)

Pandemic was one I played a fair bit with my younger siblings in my teens and they enjoyed it at 13 and 11 and it definitely has a certain toy factor with all the little colourful cubes, though theme wise it may be a bit much for 5 and 7. Dexterity games like Tokyo Highway, Kabuto Sumo, Junk Art and Men At Work might also be a good shout.

Bit of an out there suggestion but there's a bunch of RPGs that are designed for kids, could be a lot of fun to run adventures for them. No Thank You Evil and Epyllion are two that I hear recommended a lot. I also had a lot of fun playing Once Upon A Time with my siblings (it's an RPG/card game where you're trying to tell a story using elements in your hand (e.g. a bridge, a knight, a troll) to push the story towards a particular ending (e.g. a new king is crowned).

Macdoo fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Nov 21, 2022

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ineptitude posted:

HABA are your go-to company. They have ranges of games suitable for 5-7 and 8-11, so the kids can grow from one to the other. The upper range are also good family games in their own right, with designers including Rudiger Dorn and Michael Kiesling.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Suddenly Susan posted:

Ascendency is over-long and did not feel like Star Trek when I won by bringing a gigantic Starfleet armada to the Klingon homeworld to turn it into glass.

In our game, the klingons attacked everyone and anyone, almost seemingly to their detriment, until right at the end, where it meant their constant fighting gave them a (really really close!) path to victory.

The federation went around assisting and converting new found civilizations and doing science on weird nebula, holding off Klingon invaders with cunning, almost winning on hegemony alone, with their only combat being defensive.

The Romulans mostly kept to themselves until they suddenly appeared out of seemingly nowhere with powerful weapons and technology, making a surgical strike into the Breen homeworld.

The Breen, I admittedly know the least about, but they set up a choke point into their territory, and quietly amassed ascendancy tokens, until they needed to be dealt with, but they murdered anyone straying into their territory to take the win.

Felt pretty thematic!

I'll agree its probably over long though, but it's still way quicker than TI or Eclipse, but it scratches that itch without feeling like a merely cut down version, but a thing into itself.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Ineptitude posted:

I've got a six year old who is not a fan of high-interaction competitive games: he either wants co-op or point salad, for the most part.

Games I play with him a lot:
  • Draftasaurus
  • Forbidden Island/Desert/Sky
  • Zombie Teenz (legacy, quite good)
  • Santorini, mentioned
  • Dragonwood and Dragonrealm
  • Smash Up (he gets frustrated playing that but loves the theme)
  • Ticket to Ride: First Journey. We're also exploring regular Ticket to Ride
  • Kingdomino and Queendomino

I'd give any of those a recommend.

Wheeler W Wetherby
Sep 30, 2004

• Has an O-level in camel-hygiene
  • Can count up to 4

Ineptitude posted:

My kids are about the same age as yours. We love:

Zombie Kidz: cooperative Pandemic-like with asymmetric powers that you gain by opening envelopes and putting stickers on the pieces after winning a round.
Outfoxed: cooperative Clue-like deduction game
My First Castle Panic: really simple cooperative tower-defense style game. This is on BGA for some reason.
Icecool: dexterity game where you flick little penguins and the box turns into the arena
Animal upon Animal: classic stacking game with cute animal pieces
Sushi Go!: drafting card game with variable scoring conditions. Kids had fun adding up their scores last night
Sherriff of Nottingham: bluffing game about smuggling. Kids love the opportunity to lie to parents and catch us lying. We don't do the full scoring rules which are needlessly complicated. Has anyone tried Soda Smugglers? It's a new Knizia card game that's supposed to be very similar.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Camel Up

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Wheeler W Wetherby posted:

Zombie Kidz: cooperative Pandemic-like with asymmetric powers that you gain by opening envelopes and putting stickers on the pieces after winning a round.
My kid loves Zombie Teenz. Can you (or anybody) speak to going backwards and playing Zombie Kidz second?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

King of Tokyo/King of New York. 5 yo might need help reading some of the cards, can't remember how complex they are, but fun enough kids game for adults to play too. KoNY is slightly more complicated.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
https://www.qmlogistics.com/blacklist/

Another update - theoretically we'll get the ability to pay QML for shipping as soon as tomorrow.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Camel Cup

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Ineptitude posted:

The only complaint is that Ticket to Ride is simple enough, I would have just jumped to TTR: London or TTR: New York. Santorini has a great toy quality but I'd play a bunch of 2p without the gods if I was teaching it to kids. I'll underwrite many of the suggestions so far, I've successfully played the following with kids under ten:

Skull
Love Letter
King of Tokyo
Kingdomino
Werewolf

Llyranor posted:

Camel Cup

and Camel Up :colbert:
E:you stack up the camels, it’s camel up.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 21, 2022

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Llyranor posted:

Camel Cup

Triskelli posted:

and Camel Up :colbert:

Camel Cup too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

I'm a huge fan of Dixit, and my 5-year-old took to it surprisingly well.