Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Lame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Judge is such a boring nice guy he’s pretending Alvarez was in the running.

He'll take WS ring and 3 clutch playoff bombs over an MVP I'm sure

Anyway, good for future San Francisco Giant Aaron Judge

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Such horse poo poo

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Not that it matters, but I thought the first-place votes would be closer for Judge/Ohtani.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Twin Cinema posted:

Not that it matters, but I thought the first-place votes would be closer for Judge/Ohtani.

I think the narratives of 62, being on a first place team, and the WAR argument all kind of tipped the scales. I still definitely also expected it to be closer but it felt for awhile like the conversation had shifted away from “who will win?” to “how salty/smug is everyone?”

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I honestly did think Judge was more valuable as a player than Ohtani was as both a pitcher and a hitter. Not to say Ohtani wasn't amazing, it's just that Judge was that fuckin good.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Not seeing Trout in the top 4 or 5 is kinda weird. Not incorrect or unexpected because he only played in 119 games, but he did mash 40 HR and had a 178 OPS+.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is Hack Wilson still the clean NL HR "champ"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Twin Cinema posted:

Judge had the best offensive season since Barry Bonds dude. It's very funny that this thread is this braindead on the issue.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

They both had insane seasons that I think just got more insane the more you started to analyze them and compare them against the rest of baseball rather than each other. I have no idea how to judge them against each other and I think a lot of people probably felt that way. So I think the narratives won out as they often do in those toss up cases.

And I think a big one was when the argument was “Ohtani is more valuable because he’s two players” vs “Judge’s statistical value is higher than Ohtanis two combined”. It’s not actually an objective 1:1. It’s another set of absurd things about both guys. But the narrative kind of framed it as a rebuttal that went to Judge.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

seiferguy posted:

I honestly did think Judge was more valuable as a player than Ohtani was as both a pitcher and a hitter. Not to say Ohtani wasn't amazing, it's just that Judge was that fuckin good.

ESPN made a good argument about this. Ohtani was incredible this year, he produced 31 runs more than an average hitter and saved 40 runs compared to an average pitcher (71 runs combined). It took an insane season by Judge (80 runs better than an average hitter) to win this year. Judge's season likely isn't repeatable, and Ohtani was even better this year than last so it's probably Ohtani's again next year.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
In order for Ohtani to win MVP people have to be willing to watch Angels games and that's just not happening.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ihatepants posted:

ESPN made a good argument about this. Ohtani was incredible this year, he produced 31 runs more than an average hitter and saved 40 runs compared to an average pitcher (71 runs combined). It took an insane season by Judge (80 runs better than an average hitter) to win this year. Judge's season likely isn't repeatable, and Ohtani was even better this year than last so it's probably Ohtani's again next year.

That shouldn’t factor into an individual decision but baseball is a game with a long memory and when it’s all said and done, yeah. Ohtani now has a first and second place finish in MVP in back to back seasons and odds are he’ll be back in that spot again next season. And that’s gonna be his legacy.

Judge, who knows? He’s got the same hardware Ohtani does right now. But it seems pretty unlikely he’s gonna repeat this season while Ohtani has already done his season twice.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

mcmagic posted:

Judge had the best offensive season since Barry Bonds dude. It's very funny that this thread is this braindead on the issue.

I think Judge should have won, I just would have guessed that there'd be more than 2 voters who thought Ohtani had a better season.

Real chuckle worthy take.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Schroedingers MVP - simultaneously the best and the worst player in the league

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Ammat The Ankh posted:

In order for Ohtani to win MVP people have to be willing to watch Angels games and that's just not happening.

Excuse me but I have watched more Angels baseball over the past few years than any non-Angels baseball fan should ever have to see.

Ohtani should have won but we have to make the Yankees feel better for their terrible World Series drought so here we are.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Everyone just pretended Judge had a historic season because they felt bad for mcmagic fans is a hell of a take.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Why watch an Angels game when you can just plug the score into a tweet about Tungstun Arm and save yourself three hours

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Angels games is where cool poo poo happens, sometimes from Ohtani or Trout but usually most often at the Angels expense

the thing i hate most about the Angels isnt even the terrible underperforming. its the uniforms. i fuckin hate red and they got too much red

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 18, 2022

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

what the gently caress, christopher morel was robbed!!!!!!!!!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

R.D. Mangles posted:

what the gently caress, christopher morel was robbed!!!!!!!!!

many are saying this

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

judge won using the stanton metric - he hit many dingers so we can ignore the guy who was actually more valuable than him

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I'm glad Judge got to win an MVP in a season where he didn't deserve it so hopefully people can stop whining about 2017

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Intruder posted:

I'm glad Judge got to win an MVP in a season where he didn't deserve it so hopefully people can stop whining about 2017

Bro have you ever met a Yankees fan?? lmao

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

camoseven posted:

Bro have you ever met a Yankees fan?? lmao

Have you ever met an Astros fan?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i've just been told the MLB 2023 awards:

NL MVP: "Mash" Mevis
NL Cy Young: "Cool" Kyle Hendricks
Rookie of the Year: Hayden Wesneski
Manager of the Year: David "F." Ross
Pitcher Silver Slugger (they're bringing back pitchers hitting): Somehow Carlos Zambrano

AL: Folded

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

You mean the fans that don't relentlessly boo their players or make death threats on Twitter to the player's parents?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

i've just been told the MLB 2023 awards:

NL MVP: "Mash" Mevis
NL Cy Young: "Cool" Kyle Hendricks
Rookie of the Year: Hayden Wesneski
Manager of the Year: David "F." Ross
Pitcher Silver Slugger (they're bringing back pitchers hitting): Somehow Carlos Zambrano

AL: Folded

You're missing one other Cub, Shohei Ohtani. Other than that, looks about right.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

MrMidnight posted:

You mean the fans that don't relentlessly boo their players or make death threats on Twitter to the player's parents?

It wasn't death threats it was telling the player's dad that said player was dead because he didn't hit welll enough

e: also I think you'll find that I never whine about 2017 :v:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Liberty Media announced plans to split the Braves and the related real estate business off into its own publicly traded stock. I don't really know how stocks work (dumb, no money) so I'll just c/p from the article:

quote:

The first and most obvious change, one that requires no speculation, is that the Braves are currently represented by a “tracking stock,” which is an oddball financial instrument that theoretically moves up and down in value based on the financial performance of the entity it represents. But, this move will essentially see current holders of said tracking stock redeem it for a “real” stock, i.e., one that confers ownership of the Atlanta Braves and their business assets.

The second is that the Braves will, for some definition of the word, become “independent.” No one has announced any plans as to exactly how the split-off will work, in terms of how much ownership of the newly-formed, now-”independent” company Liberty Media could retain. For example, as part of the split-off, Liberty Media could retain any amount of stock, ranging from zero percent to nearly 100 percent. John Malone and friends could retain just over half the stock and remain majority owners of “Atlanta Braves Holdings inc,” or not.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

MrMidnight posted:

The ones who like relentlessly poo poo talk and talk down to other fanbases and teams but then act confused and put out that a bunch of people don’t like them and do the same for stuff they definitely didn’t do and should be over by now and just like the Astros now because their manager is a nice guy.

Fans suck and the worst of all of them don’t think their poo poo stinks.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I agree the McMagic type of fans are like the January 6 rioters and all the other Yankees fans are like Josh Hawley

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Fans suck and the worst of all of them don’t think their poo poo stinks.

Agree but unfortunately that's like 90% of them

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Man. That week or so I wasn’t being called a nazi for the team I root for was fun. Ah well.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

When Altuve was setting history with the worst playoff start ever a fan ran onto the field to hug him and tell him he was loved and needed

Anyway I wish someone would sign someone

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/barry/status/1593408956646440962?s=20&t=cjJbCCgdh0IwyD8yaOm5dg

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Johnny Bravo posted:

Angels games is where cool poo poo happens, sometimes from Ohtani or Trout but usually most often at the Angels expense

the thing i hate most about the Angels isnt even the terrible underperforming. its the uniforms. i fuckin hate red and they got too much red

I still don't like the city connect jerseys either. They look like knockoffs you'd buy at a big 5 or target on the way to the game.

Remember how high we felt coming off that Detmers shutout where the Angels teed off all night and Rendon went lefty and the Angels were like 20-10 to start the year? Then we lost 15 in a row or whatever. I think I watched every game up till that point and didn't watch another game after the losing streak.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Intruder posted:

When Altuve was setting history with the worst playoff start ever a fan ran onto the field to hug him and tell him he was loved and needed

He was a plant sent to confirm he was wearing a buzzer

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

glad to know the right man won

a yankee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Judge was obviously MVP lol you guys are on crack