Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The Switch has been a nice reminder that I can only play one game at a time, and an $80 game I love is better than 16 $5 Steam games I don't play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

no offense man i enjoy the nitnendo switch as well but at least try to comprehend what ur replying to before u pop off.

The linked interviewis from 2017 w/ someone who worked at EAD for a decade (1999 - 2008) and, perhaps, is as reliable a source as a promotional update by nitnendo for nintendos job recruitment page from 2019 .
I would believe that nintendo has improved its labor practices to some degree post iwatas death/restructuring i guess, but also, like, i dont see any reason to totally disbelieve the idea that a huge japanese tech company that pivoted to video games when the mob ties rich kid fired everybody who'd worked there for decades would stilll be behind the times labor-wise.
Its not hard to find english language sources about nintendo labor disputes, even early NoA was accused of racist/anti-black hiring practices.

Nintendo also, like many other large studios in japan, notoriously outsources a ton 2 'ghost' companies like Tose or whoever else where they dont even get credited, which, yes, maybe those companies are fine to work at but thats still a labor issue & i think in general there's a lot more suggesting nintendo is not necessarily a magical exception to bad labor practices in the game industry & larger game companies than otherwise.
But yes if u google 'nintendo employee' u get their promo tweet from 2019 & their games are kawaii (cute) and i very much enjoy my nintendo switch. I wouldn't doubt that they're relatively fine amongst tech companies, game companies, whatever in Japan but that doesn't mean that these labor issues aren't real...honestly...cmon...

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Daniel Ahmad isn’t a Nintendo promo account.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Pokémon trip report: it’s the best new Pokémon game in ages by a country mile. It’s the first one that feels like it’s trying to embrace the scope and potential of a console based game that isn’t just the same formula as always. The graphics and performance and visual hiccups are horrendous.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

man nurse posted:

Pokémon trip report: it’s the best new Pokémon game in ages by a country mile. It’s the first one that feels like it’s trying to embrace the scope and potential of a console based game that isn’t just the same formula as always. The graphics and performance and visual hiccups are horrendous.

yeah, i just started the game like 30 minutes ago and the shadows look like rear end, it's super laggy and there are some trees that are a grand total of like 6 polygons. Weedcat rules tho

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

man nurse posted:

Well that's good to hear! Shame they put it out on a console that can't really handle it, but what can you do?

I'm gonna start it tomorrow.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Maybe they shouldn’t have put two new Pokémon games out in one year and focused on this one instead. Arceus is a bit more polished but is a much worse game, would have rather that got scrapped and the effort went to making S/V the best it could be

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I assume i have broken eyes because i genuinely cannot see any performance issues and nerds on the internet are talking about witcher 3 being an example of how switch games can run well as a counterpoint when its the worst port ive ever played on the system. Anyway i think it feels like a good natural progression of the franchise. Its not that deep or interesting but its fun and its great playing it with friends. I think the multiplayer is great and a main selling point for me

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’m only really bothered by how the lighting flickers, the framerate and textures don’t bother me

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Arceus was mostly decent I thought! Possibly the worst quest design I’ve ever encountered in a video game ever, but the main gameplay parts (catching, fighting) were pretty good.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

hatty posted:

I’m only really bothered by how the lighting flickers, the framerate and textures don’t bother me

Yeah thats reasonable, it gives a very big broad botw style world vibe and doesnt quite pull offthat from a graphical standpoint

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

A cute gameplay choice i noticed is you can encounter pokemon vastly outside of your controllable level spread in early areas so actually acquiring gym badges is helpful from a utility standpoint

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

hatty posted:

yeah the aliasing on this is atrocious

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Centro Pokemon says that the games have a memory leak, and performance gets steadily worse the longer you have it open. Fortunately, you can fix it by closing the software and reopening it, and if it is a memory leak that's the kind of thing that a patch can fix. Also ironic, given that Centro's other account just got banned from Twitter for posting leaks.

https://twitter.com/centropokemon/status/1593447060497391623?s=46&t=x-ndS2VhHXTmQbJD5mufsw
'
Edit: Glitch clips are all over Twitter. This is Pokemon as published by Bethesda, and I loving love Fallout games.

https://twitter.com/Alpharad/status/1593480110828462085

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

i will say that my favorite thing so far in the 45 minutes i've played is how much faster the pokeball capture is, it's like twice as fast as sw/sh

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Can we talk about the unethical breeding of Rotom for the use in electronics?

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

SuddenCactus posted:

Can we talk about the unethical breeding of Rotom for the use in electronics?

this whole game is about unethical breeding to turn babies into fighting machines and you want to talk about how bad it is that one of them gets turned into a cellphone instead of it fighting to the death?

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Chamale posted:

Centro Pokemon says that the games have a memory leak, and performance gets steadily worse the longer you have it open. Fortunately, you can fix it by closing the software and reopening it, and if it is a memory leak that's the kind of thing that a patch can fix.

well, memory leaks are also notoriously difficult to find and fix and often stay unfixed

maybe GF will implement the tried and true developer workaround for memory leaks, which is to add a crash-to-home screen every few hours to force a restart

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

A memory leak would indeed explain the inconsistent performance for different people so I'm willing to believe it.

Doubly so because GF are incompenent in terms of programming. Remember kids, always terminate any variables you are not going to use!

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Large Testicles posted:

this whole game is about unethical breeding to turn babies into fighting machines and you want to talk about how bad it is that one of them gets turned into a cellphone instead of it fighting to the death?

Its better to die a warrior than live as a desk jockey

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

try throwing a pokeball at a mon in the water and see the awful glitch that happens, i don't have video capture available or i'd be reproducing it

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

WarpDogs posted:

well, memory leaks are also notoriously difficult to find and fix and often stay unfixed

maybe GF will implement the tried and true developer workaround for memory leaks, which is to add a crash-to-home screen every few hours to force a restart

Thank you for playing Wing Commander Pokémon Violet!

Large Testicles posted:

In Pokémon Sun, I bred dozens of Magikarps trying to get a strong Gyarados and released the bad ones into the wild. Then I read the Pokédex entry that said they're an invasive species to Alola. Oops.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's also an entry for Lapras about how it was endangered but then breeding programs were so successful it's now overpopulated.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Large Testicles posted:

Someone profits off the Rotom phones!

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

SuddenCactus posted:

Someone profits off the Rotom phones!

you profit off fighting other pokemon trainers.

there is no ethical consumption of pokemon

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Honestly after pokeballs, potions and for some reason sandwich ingredients(??) Im losing money

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Large Testicles posted:

you profit off fighting other pokemon trainers.

there is no ethical consumption of pokemon

That's just bullying

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

this is the wrong thread kind of. i'm going to use the right thread to ask about pocket monsters

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Nov 18, 2022

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Damnit, skyrim is on sale and I don’t think I’m able to hold off one more time

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
ofc nintendo is a great company to work for, they let their breadwinner companies produce annual shovelware to kids and overly nostalgic adults

drat why is pokemon a highselling trainwreck

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

‘Aight.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/t_a_b_e_r_u/status/1593570678116323329

heres my favorite glitch

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
honestly after they announced that sword and shield wouldn't let you get all the pokemon is when i was through with the franchise. i never liked playing it competitively and thought it took way too much time to invest in.

the fact that scarlet and violet shipped in this state is loving disgraceful

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
very concerned about investing too much time in pokemon whilst lamenting that the game hasn't put literally every single mon in

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I enjoyed my morning session. I just have to wait for the upgraded Steam Deck version.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

that’s loving terrifying

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Welp, finally got my physical copy of Pokemon Karmesin.

Was a near thing, for some reason our local shop also sold UK-versions called "Violet" and "Scarlet" and I was at first confused and thought the internet was bleeding into real life now. But nope, people are just constantly buying and I arrived at the shelf just after a batch of German copies had run out.

While I was looking at Scarlet and slowly trying to understand why a German shop was selling UK-versions of a game, a clerk arrived and put down some new Karmesin and Purpur games. Then I had to react fast because like three people were already waiting to grab more Pokemons, and I rushed with my Karmesin-copy to the cashier.

And then I got home and spend half an hour putting my PC back together after some maintenance. Anyway, Pokemon Sword was awesome, so this one can only get better.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
My copy of xenoblade 3 I scored from target for $35 arrived today, I'm really feeling it!

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Sudden Javelin posted:

very concerned about investing too much time in pokemon whilst lamenting that the game hasn't put literally every single mon in

i can enjoy one aspect of a game and put more time into it than another part of the game f

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Lol I think I recognize this cheat code from some of those classic midway sports games