Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The Real Amethyst posted:

IRC is gonna make a come back right?
:haw:

Discord is IRC web 2.0 gotta kill that first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Data Graham posted:

Re: Twitter replacements, it seems like the main thing keeping any of them from really serving the purpose is posts being embeddable. Right?

Mastodon posts aren't embeddable? Or are they?

Not sure, but the general vibe there is don't repost someone's posts externally without consent. There was a lot of drama the other day with the thread unroll bot being added and then almost immediately banned by a load of instances.

Journalists and cops also seem prime targets for the banhammer. Maybe that will change as the user base grows and develops.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Nov 18, 2022

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, there's an internal public/private war happening?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah, I am seeing a lot of artists and content creators and others posting “hey if this place burns here is my Instagram or discord or whatever” or poo poo similar. It’s the beginning of the end.

Seen a lot of journalists with decent followings start asking where's a good place to go.

Always great when you see one get suggested to try mastodon, then like two hours later their like, "ah well, that was confusing as hell, so yeah, no.".

Would be interested to see mastodon user numbers in a few weeks and see how many people will migrate there.
I sure as hell have seen a lot people bounce right off it, but I'm sure they'll be picking up a few.

Edit: oh just read the above posts. Yeah probably a good thing journalists aren't having much luck with it then.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Nov 18, 2022

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

keep punching joe posted:

Not sure, but the general vibe there is don't repost someone's posts externally without consent. There was a lot of drama the other day with the thread unroll bot being added and then almost immediately banned by a load of instances.

I had two Twitter accounts, one for art and one for dumb funny poo poo. If the culture of Mastodon is to not share those posts far and wide then it is dead on arrival for me, especially as a replacement for art Twitter.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Mastadon would a be a great place for journalists if outlets would run their own instances. Solves the verification problem. @BobSmith@NYTimes would be pretty clear.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

frumpykvetchbot posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-63672307

all employees now locked out of offices, all badge access revoked.

(until Monday)

LOL

They're not opening on Monday, you know it and I know it. Hell, the building could be sold or demolished by Monday at this rate.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

dr_rat posted:

Yeah, same. I actually liked then unliked, when saw it was an elon retweet.

But yeah at the moment he seems to both be retweeting stuff that makes it seem like he purposefully killed twitter and it's dying, as well as saying he's everything fine, got it under control better than ever. He could see how bad poo poo is and is trying to give himself an out by saying, "oh yeah, I meant this all along".

The simplest in most likely thing though is he just really loves attention -particularly from "cool" memer people, and will do anything to get it.

He's trying to show that he's not mad and is in fact actually laughing.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They're not opening on Monday, you know it and I know it. Hell, the building could be sold or demolished by Monday at this rate.

spirit halloween missed their chance by a month

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

davecrazy posted:

Mastadon would a be a great place for journalists if outlets would run their own instances. Solves the verification problem. @BobSmith@NYTimes would be pretty clear.

This was also the vibe from the existing users.

Like if you are a large org like a media group then you should definitely run your own server (and shoulder the bandwidth costs). Plus it makes it easier for everyone else to mass block a_cunt@dailymail.co.uk.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I figure SpaceX engineers are constructing a fall guys stage in what used to be the cafeteria. Are you hardcore enough to work here?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

davecrazy posted:

Yeah, but part of why journalists liked tweeter it is that could also retweet you know people protesting in Iran, or other reporters in Ukraine. having a bit of a weird half public/half private thing could be a bit of a thing (although journalists of all people should be good at knowing about asking for republishing stuff and whatever).

cohsae posted:

He's trying to show that he's not mad and is in fact actually laughing.
Yeah, actually that seems most likely.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I hope after twitter dies the Taylor swift creeps kill Ticketmaster too

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

davecrazy posted:

Hell yeah, WWIVNet lives again

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

davecrazy posted:

That's already happening, the EU has its own instance https://social.network.europa.eu/ for example

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Tricky Ed posted:

Twitter, the service, isn't likely to stop working in the next few days, or probably weeks. But it died today. Whatever keeps lurching forward isn't going to be built and run by the people who made it what it is. It'll be built and run by the people who aren't happy with what it is and chose to stay after the new boss pulled an atomic seagull power move.

The legal team that protected it and kept it somewhat following laws worldwide is gone. The operations team that kept its software deployed and servers running in datacenters is gone. The teams that found and fixed bugs are gone. The security team is gone. The moderation staff are gone. The ad sales people are gone. The people who ran their staffing and payroll and training are gone.

And even though twitter dot com probably won't get squatted when it comes up for renewal soon, everyone who relies on Twitter is having to consider other options. No one can ever trust the service again. Not advertisers, not news organizations, not media companies, not businesses, not users. Not in the way they did a month ago.

LOL

This is the correct take.

Twitter almost certainly isn't going to explode tomorrow or the day after etc etc (although I'm still rooting for the brazilians and their immense posting power on sunday.) But this has kicked just about everyone I know who uses the platform to start building the infrastructure they'll eventually use to leave it entirely. Like if loving dril, the mascot of the entire goddamn site, is posting his find me here links, there's no way the userbase and reputation can ever recover.

https://twitter.com/garius/status/1588115310124539904

Robo Reagan posted:

spirit halloween missed their chance by a month

LMAO

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
External embeds were always a mistake.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Elon 48 hours ago

https://youtu.be/5kUNIDVIjh0

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Imagine the indentured servants stranded in a Martian company town receiving the hardcore mode email.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Stoatbringer posted:

Has anyone said "Twitanic" yet?

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

People just destroyed a 44 billion valued (loving lol) company through the power of cyber bullying

SA killed a guy where does that sit in the hierarchy?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

lmao

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

:five: :five: :five:

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

lol from The Verge article https://www.theverge.com/2022/11/17/23465274/hundreds-of-twitter-employees-resign-from-elon-musk-hardcore-deadline

quote:

Twitter no longer has a communications department to contact for comment.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lol I'm cackling

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Maybe he only wants Twitter to operate in America and I guess wherever in the middle east they want to spy on people

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I have never used the iOS twitter ap until tonight. And Oh My God I Hate it. It keeps moving sideways in the topic I want to read and I can't go back to where I was and I have to scroll down 50 posts I already saw to see where I was up to.

Please don't let SA die. Being able to read a thread and go to the last page or last read post saves my life.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

dr_rat posted:

Seen a lot of journalists with decent followings start asking where's a good place to go.

Always great when you see one get suggested to try mastodon, then like two hours later their like, "ah well, that was confusing as hell, so yeah, no.".

Would be interested to see mastodon user numbers in a few weeks and see how many people will migrate there.
I sure as hell have seen a lot people bounce right off it, but I'm sure they'll be picking up a few.

Edit: oh just read the above posts. Yeah probably a good thing journalists aren't having much luck with it then.

yeah, it won't crash right away probably, but i am sorta reminded what happened to neogaf. it had a ton of issues already and then the owner got outed as massive sex monster and a majority of the site left, the owned dropped alot of the protections then and let it become a shittier something awful with chuds and poo poo. its still around but its pretty depopulated.

youcallthatatwist posted:

Twitter almost certainly isn't going to explode tomorrow or the day after etc etc (although I'm still rooting for the brazilians and their immense posting power on sunday.) But this has kicked just about everyone I know who uses the platform to start building the infrastructure they'll eventually use to leave it entirely. Like if loving dril, the mascot of the entire goddamn site, is posting his find me here links, there's no way the userbase and reputation can ever recover.

LMAO

yep, most of the artists and creators i know are doing that now, fun times ahead.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

It's not gona happen grandpa

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He is rapidly approaching the "most punchable face" award.

A farting mink
Nov 6, 2022

by Pragmatica
My twitter feed this morning was completely borked. Every fifth post was an add and most of them were for various Chinese travel destinations. The rest were those crappy quizzes nobody ever takes and the American Catholic League. Either the algorithm has completely forgot me or those are the only clients they have left.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

youcallthatatwist posted:

LMAO

Lol I just can't see this post on android twitter.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Here's a (long) thread chronicling the timeline of Twitter's swift descent into chaos.

https://twitter.com/christapeterso/status/1592317592966168576?s=20&t=iZ3HIeyAscP16Ts_45JdUg

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
This is new and hilarious, a huge number of genshin impact players have log in unalterably linked to twitter, my kid has tried unlinking and going with a different option and it's broken. If twitter goes down then welp.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

learnincurve posted:

This is new and hilarious, a huge number of genshin impact players have log in unalterably linked to twitter, my kid has tried unlinking and going with a different option and it's broken. If twitter goes down then welp.

Musk is doing your kid a favor fwiw

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/jack/status/53545

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
The person running the Musk flight tracker should make sure to tell everyone what offsite he's moving to. It would be hilarious if that somehow survived the tweetpocalypse