Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Iambic Pentameter
Sep 21, 2017

I'd heard of Tallarico here and there, but I wasn't sure why he was considered such a high-profile figure in the industry, the only two games he scored (supposedly, who even knows now) that aren't shovelware are Earthworm Jim and the Genesis version of Aladdin

Both of which are overrated and bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

Actually both of those games are good

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
It wasnt even Earthworm Jim 1 but 2 apparently.

This is also very timely considering the drama going on with Actual Video Game Music Composer: Mick Gordon.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Happy Landfill posted:

That Hbomb video was something else :catstare: I honestly wonder if this might lead to Hbomb getting poo poo from Tallarico because he sure did just go through and disprove several lie he's been telling for 20 years at this point and I feel like a narcissist like that isn't going to just sit there and take that.

Hbomb lists three different sources of legal advice in the credits, so hopefully he's safe from any spiteful retaliation.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I'm a gaming racist

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I Before E posted:

I was just about to post that Tommy Tallarico sounds uncannily like Tim Heidecker in On Cinema. Huh.

I guess when you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you really can't lose.

I just started HBomberguy's video about Tallarico and yeah this is 100% accurate.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Flying Zamboni posted:

I just started HBomberguy's video about Tallarico and yeah this is 100% accurate.

I had his video running in the background yesterday because I was bored. And then more and more lies were revealed and I slowly stopped what I was doing to sit down and watch, getting progressively more baffled by the second.

Since you're still watching, my favorite was when that guy brazenly lied about taking too much money through customs, in a way that made him look explicitly worse and then he had to later confess he lied to avoid prison, the hell is with that guy

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Libluini posted:

I had his video running in the background yesterday because I was bored. And then more and more lies were revealed and I slowly stopped what I was doing to sit down and watch, getting progressively more baffled by the second.

Since you're still watching, my favorite was when that guy brazenly lied about taking too much money through customs, in a way that made him look explicitly worse and then he had to later confess he lied to avoid prison, the hell is with that guy

It's no where near as bad as that, but I was floored that after all the times Tallarico said he was "the first American to work on a Sonic" game it was revealed that the game he worked on came out in 2009. Sonic 2 was made in the US, granted it was a Japanese team in the US, but I'm pretty drat sure they had some US talent on the team too. Not to mention the music from the Dreamcast era onwards is full of vocal tracks, pretty sure that some of those were by American artists!

I thought he had done a track for one of the Mega Drive games or something!

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Redezga posted:

When Metroid Prime got mentioned early on in that HB video I started to expect the video was going to include Jeff Spangenberg in the story at some point. Genuinely surprised they didn't combine their energies to create some sort of atomic level of drama.

Well if you wanna make a connection I guess you could try and say Tommy was pretty blatantly backing his friend Jeff when The Guy Game game released and they honest to God reviewed the game on his show, giving the game an 8 out of 10.

There's a lot of stories and things in general about Tommy not in the video but some of them are things you don't need to include unless you were making like, a four hour bio-pic about him and needed more stuff for a thesis. Like one story that just happened recently was for whatever reason, possibly because he needed cash fast due to certain Amico Investors possibly calling to collect, he put up huge amount of stuff he had in his fun house up for auction. Stuff ranging from actual things somebody would want to collect or own, to workstations he used to make music, to also like...poo poo.

https://bid.vegalleries.com/Popular-Culture-Presented-by-Van-Eaton-Galleries_as84849

Living in Hollywood for years he seemingly attending quite a few premiers for movies and always made sure to take home and promotional material goodie bags of things he would then store away forever. A Jay Sherman-esque hoarding situation.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Veotax posted:

It's no where near as bad as that, but I was floored that after all the times Tallarico said he was "the first American to work on a Sonic" game it was revealed that the game he worked on came out in 2009. Sonic 2 was made in the US, granted it was a Japanese team in the US, but I'm pretty drat sure they had some US talent on the team too. Not to mention the music from the Dreamcast era onwards is full of vocal tracks, pretty sure that some of those were by American artists!

I thought he had done a track for one of the Mega Drive games or something!

Yeah, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was a direct collaboration between Sega's Japanese and American wings and the project was initially organized by the decidedly American Mark Cerny. Members of Sega Technical Institute (Sega's North American game development wing at the time) worked directly with the Japanese production staff during Sonic 2's development, though less of their work ended up making it into the final product. So yeah, Americans have been working on the Sonic series almost since the start.

Also taking the opportunity to share these two videos about some of the behind the scenes stuff about Sonic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWC4gJu3ZS4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lixTJBSJTzY

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Well if you wanna make a connection I guess you could try and say Tommy was pretty blatantly backing his friend Jeff when The Guy Game game released and they honest to God reviewed the game on his show, giving the game an 8 out of 10.

Wasn't The Guy Game the one that ended up getting into MAJOR trouble because it didn't properly vet the women it used for its "Girls Gone Wild" style nude footage and included at least a couple of underage models?

KingKalamari fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 18, 2022

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

DeafNote posted:

It wasnt even Earthworm Jim 1 but 2 apparently.

This is also very timely considering the drama going on with Actual Video Game Music Composer: Mick Gordon.

...oh my god you're right, 1 was Mark Miller. But... Tallarico lists it on his site! His company wasn't even involved this time what the hell LMFAO

Like, Anything But Tangerines is boppin but the other half of Earthworm Jim 2's soundtrack is all public domain songs...

E: A Youtube comment goes into it. I can't believe I'm having my own Tommy Tallarico Event Horizon moment

quote:

2. He claims to have done the music for Earthworm Jim, but he seems to have primarily worked on the sequel, not the first game, even though he's very disingenuous about this. The first Earthworm Jim is actually credited to someone named Mark Miller, while apparently Tommy's main contribution was doing the synth arrangements heard on the Sega CD/Windows port of the game. I remember seeing a quote somewhere where someone said Mark's the main one credited because of "legal reasons," but this seems to be another "Tommy/Joey" situation where Tommy ends up taking all the credit for another guy's work.

Interestingly there's even a comment in this very video's comment section from someone who says the original composer was their music class instructor and specifically pointed out they originally did that game's music. I definitely believe it. In addition to this, even though it seems likely he did in fact act as main composer for Earthworm Jim 2, like half the tracks in that game are traditional songs rather than 100% his own compositions. This gives me the impression he isn't good at doing an entire game's score by himself, so he'd have others pitch in (like in The Terminator for Sega CD), or in EWJ2's case, just use traditional compositions to lighten the load. I think the end product came out fine to be honest, but it still tells a lot about his mentality.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 18, 2022

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Thanks everyone for the kind words about the video I made. We worked really hard on it.
My mother is very proud.

Good lord Tommy is a psycho.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Scholtz posted:

Thanks everyone for the kind words about the video I made. We worked really hard on it.
My mother is very proud.

Good lord Tommy is a psycho.

Cheers, it's a pretty good video but it kinda sucks because it makes me want to pee at night

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 18, 2022

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Mr.Radar posted:

Video hosting is insanely expensive, both to store the library of videos and the bandwidth to stream it to potentially thousands or millions of people at the same time. Really, unless you're at the scale of YouTube or Twitch, paywalls are your only viable option.

The Linus Tech Tips YouTube channel runs their own streaming service (Floatplane) as a fallback in case they get on YouTube's bad side and they say they need to charge each user at least $5 per month to turn a profit on it, and they're just hosting their own content that's already paid for by YouTube ads and sponsorships. I frankly have no idea how CuriosityStream and Nebula are making any profit on their $20 per year bundle.

There are alternatives through peer to peer hosting. Sub.media an media co-operative that has gotten on youtube's bad side has set up a peertube instance as a back up with little increase in costs. Kolektiva

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

KingKalamari posted:

Wasn't The Guy Game the one that ended up getting into MAJOR trouble because it didn't properly vet the women it used for its "Girls Gone Wild" style nude footage and included at least a couple of underage models?

Yup.

Also shout-out to the video mentioning Yoko S. near the end because she is like, the first person I think of whenever Tommy and his career are brought up. Because she's one of a bunch of composers who started around the same time he did and unlike him is still creating music but also I'd say a lot of her stuff from the past two decades is just as good as her 90's stuff.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

KingKalamari posted:

Yep! It’s the only game I know of that got pulled off the shelves for being literally illegal.

Too Human maybe comes close, but even that was a civil matter, not a criminal one.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I feel like the insight about how you can lie about really obvious, easy-to-fact-check things because no one will actually bother to go fact check them has some serious legs. I can see it becoming one of those things that seeps into the larger culture until it eventually ends up as a heist movie trope (just like the "walk like you know where you're going and no one will bother to stop you").

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

I feel like the insight about how you can lie about really obvious, easy-to-fact-check things because no one will actually bother to go fact check them has some serious legs. I can see it becoming one of those things that seeps into the larger culture until it eventually ends up as a heist movie trope (just like the "walk like you know where you're going and no one will bother to stop you").

That or just walking in carrying a ladder getting you in nearly anywhere

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

LanceHunter posted:

That's not a just a trope, it's social engineering 101. Project confidence that you are supposed to be where you are, or doing what you're doing, and very few people will directly confront you. And even if they do confront you, continuing to be confident will often deescalate the situation and make the person confronting you back down. This is why places where physical security is a matter of life and death tend to have prohibitively strict physical access controls to minimize the human element as much as possible.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Red Bard talks about an anime whose behind the scenes drama was way more interesting than the show itself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9UbII-7I7s

I watched this at the time thinking it had some good visuals but a rather generic and underwhelming story. From the way the guy was hyping it up it seems like it should have been either amazing or a spectacular failed experiment like Ex-Arm but in reality it was neither. There wasn't even anything particularly anti-moe or anti-otaku about it, at least from what i remember.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Sophie From Mar's continues her series on monsters with an entry on Kaiju.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6kc6hXm3LA&t=131s

I would like to see her do this for the monster hunter genre, things like Buffy, Hellboy, Lost girl, Guts from Breserk and Doom Guy/Doom Slayer.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 18, 2022

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Skippy McPants posted:

Hbomb lists three different sources of legal advice in the credits, so hopefully he's safe from any spiteful retaliation.

I wouldn't put it past someone like Tallarico to at lest try.

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 19, 2022

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
One day we'll figure out the true origin of the OOF noise.

https://twitter.com/Peelaugh_/status/1593462889075118080

One day.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Viewtiful Jew posted:

One day we'll figure out the true origin of the OOF noise.

https://twitter.com/Peelaugh_/status/1593462889075118080

One day.
I'm not sure we have the technology to clean a VHS sourced to the point that it sounds like the "Oof" sound found in Messiah today, but I sure as gently caress don't believe they had it during the late 90s when the game was being developed.

If they did, they'd also have to have cleared it with New Line Cinema, Turner Broadcasting and probably many others - which sounds even more unlikely.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 19, 2022

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I'm not sure we have the technology to clean a VHS sourced to the point that it sounds like the "Oof" sound found in Messiah today, but I sure as gently caress don't believe they had it during the late 90s when the game was being developed.

If they did, they'd also have to have cleared it with New Line Cinema, Turner Broadcasting and probably many others - which sounds even more unlikely.

Counterpoint - they wouldn't have had to clear poo poo with New Line or others because nobody would have noticed and there wasn't the technology at the time to do that.

I mean, them ripping the sound from a movie (or more likely a similar sound library) seems more likely than having a kid come in for a .4 second line reading of them grunting, unless there's a whole lot more audio than that in the game from the kid.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

stillvisions posted:

Counterpoint - they wouldn't have had to clear poo poo with New Line or others because nobody would have noticed and there wasn't the technology at the time to do that.

I mean, them ripping the sound from a movie (or more likely a similar sound library) seems more likely than having a kid come in for a .4 second line reading of them grunting, unless there's a whole lot more audio than that in the game from the kid.

It's one of an assortment of pain sounds the main character says when hit. He's a little baby cherub with a child voice who also said random child babble, and was in voice acted cutscenes a few times like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgdBDxIAAgY&t=73s

The "oof" sounds is probably generic enough of a noise that lots of random kids could easily copy it, like how that one video of kids in a playground was mis-attributed as the first instance for a long time.

I think I posted this here before but Grimbeard did cover Messiah about a month ago, if anyone wants an idea of what the game was like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVRmjSRchzc

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Strange Aeons looks at the history of the infamous Harry Potter fanfic My Immortal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JodBp-r9jM

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

https://twitter.com/VoidBurger/status/1593834523069915136?s=20&t=l27WfV8j_j5Ypp9aySw0Mg

someone picked up tommytallarico.com and had it redirect to the OOF video

Veotax
May 16, 2006

How...how could a guy like Tallarico not have already brought tommytallarico.com?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Veotax posted:

How...how could a guy like Tallarico not have already brought tommytallarico.com?

Probably just assumed it was his like he did that award.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Veotax posted:

He already has a website, https://www.tallarico.com/. Probably bought whichever was the cheapest.

... Holy poo poo. His main page plays music, and there doesn't seem to be a way to turn it off. Talks about a Web 1.0 callback.

Edit: someone should find a way to get https://www.tommytallarico.com/ higher on Google.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Tallarico peaked at Camel Jazz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-vt46Gxrc8

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv3eSIm5YiE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4g8jSTsk1g

Some more videos

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 19, 2022

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Man I am going back to watch some of the old Judgment Day/Reviews on the Run episodes

loving lmfao so many of these are just Tallarico screaming over Victor Lucas with some of the dumbest complaints ever

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Footstep sounds!!!!???!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I watched a lot of TechTV back in the day but what I remember most about Tallarico was not any of the actual reviews but the fact that he game Super Smash Bros Melee a shockingly low score. It was worse than 8.8 both because the score was like a 2 or something but also because Melee held up way better than Twilight Princess.

Tommy Tallarico has poo poo taste in games is what I’m saying

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

DC Murderverse posted:

I watched a lot of TechTV back in the day but what I remember most about Tallarico was not any of the actual reviews but the fact that he game Super Smash Bros Melee a shockingly low score. It was worse than 8.8 both because the score was like a 2 or something but also because Melee held up way better than Twilight Princess.

Tommy Tallarico has poo poo taste in games is what I’m saying

That's covered in the video, he gave it a 2.5/10 but has spent years insisting that not only did he not give Melee a low score, he never even reviewed Melee at all and it's just slander made up by jealous internet nerds. This despite the fact that the footage of him doing so exists and is readily available to find on the internet.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sydin posted:

That's covered in the video, he gave it a 2.5/10 but has spent years insisting that not only did he not give Melee a low score, he never even reviewed Melee at all and it's just slander made up by jealous internet nerds. This despite the fact that the footage of him doing so exists and is readily available to find on the internet.

This is also a great example of the ways he words his lies, because in that Mega64 clip, he doesnt say they never reviewed Melee, he says they never reviewed Super Smash Bros.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Sorry, the way he is so desperately trying to insist that HE ALONE came up with the oof sound, as though it was divinely inspired, instead of just one of thousands of nonsense sounds created for one game that no one remembers is...really cringy. It feels very Musk-ian in that he really wants you to know that he is absolutely in on the joke you guys, seriously, but also I, alone, need to be the sole profiter on this. ME, I created it. You can tell from those tweets exactly when he did a google search and the realization that it was a hugely successful meme from a hugely successful game and the way he's suddenly like, "people play this game for the oof" like it's not just a funny sound kids latched on to. It's so desperate it's actually embarrassing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm pretty sure most billionaires are, by definition, the kind of people to take credit for other people, because it seems the kind of personality you have to have, in order to be able to think that you deserve that much money.