Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Go to the market screen's trade tab and check the convoy numbers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

OddObserver posted:

Go to the market screen's trade tab and check the convoy numbers?

Available convoys exceed required convoys.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
I found it, the Bay of Biscay is still being raided even though I'm at peace. Any workarounds that people know of? Restarted the game multiple times to no avail.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm glad we're getting more oil and rubber, but before they drastically change the map they really need the fix the very basics of the AI so they actually build those things. Then again they're also not building the things that consume those products either so its a wash.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Baronjutter posted:

I'm glad we're getting more oil and rubber, but before they drastically change the map they really need the fix the very basics of the AI so they actually build those things. Then again they're also not building the things that consume those products either so its a wash.

To be honest more oil and rubber is probably a good thing - even taking Borneo and Persia and fully developing their oil fields wasn't enough to properly feed my late-game economy. If the AI was better about exploiting their existing resources yes, they'd produce more, but they'd consume more as well and act as competition for oil. I don't know if there's really enough oil in the game right now to sustain a full-bore late-game great power economy without weird shenanigans like personally conquering every single oil-producing province you can find. Which, I mean, to some extent furious competitive imperialism to secure rare industrial goods is in the spirit of the period but "You must conquer Borneo in every game" makes for less interesting and varied gameplay. Not to mention the raw bordergore.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

IG approval overflow is still somehow a thing. How did that not get fixed at the first pass?

There's a mod to fix that (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2883846968). It seems to work pretty well for me, and as a bonus, it also fixes the overflow bug for your treasury where your maximum gold reserves become 1,000 because your economy has become too large.

Granted, all it really does is reduce the amount of political power each pop gets and also gives a scaling debuff to your maximum gold reserves so that the number doesn't get too large.

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
This game would be so much better with EU4's UI

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I really like nested tooltips, but I don't like extremely important information like what my pops are paying for their needs to be hidden behind a couple layers of nested tooltips.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Jazerus posted:

it's because without the AI actually developing rubber it's impossible to know whether the current supply is sufficient or not. i guess it might be the case that they've had that fixed in a test build since the day after launch or something and they're working on known numbers instead of guesses, but idk seems weird to discuss resource distribution in a dev diary as an isolated topic with things being the way they are in the live build

I have a lot of goodwill for Paradox about this game, but definitely less after that dev diary. Not that there's anything wrong with what was in it, but the choice of topic was really really tone-deaf given people's actual concerns,

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Dirk the Average posted:

There's a mod to fix that (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2883846968). It seems to work pretty well for me, and as a bonus, it also fixes the overflow bug for your treasury where your maximum gold reserves become 1,000 because your economy has become too large.

Granted, all it really does is reduce the amount of political power each pop gets and also gives a scaling debuff to your maximum gold reserves so that the number doesn't get too large.

Cool, thanks. Turns out it's one of those issues like states being stuck at low market access where exiting/reloading clears the issue. Frozen conflicts are still a thing though, Oman has had a frozen war against its breakaway African provinces for almost the entire game stuck at 0-0 war exhaustion.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Guildencrantz posted:

I have a lot of goodwill for Paradox about this game, but definitely less after that dev diary. Not that there's anything wrong with what was in it, but the choice of topic was really really tone-deaf given people's actual concerns,

My hope is that they're not mentioning the major bugs (EG: Rulers living forever, overflows, France having a treaty port with Great Britain) because they already fixed those in an internal build so it's not news to them.

I guess we'll see.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Gort posted:

My hope is that they're not mentioning the major bugs (EG: Rulers living forever, overflows, France having a treaty port with Great Britain) because they already fixed those in an internal build so it's not news to them.

I guess we'll see.

Treaty ports in general are in a weird place. If I conquer land that has a treaty port, somehow I am now obligated to uphold that treaty, even though I had nothing to do with the establishment of the port. I feel like it needs some sort of overhaul with a diplomatic play that lets you shut off the port for low/no infamy cost.

Also, on a different note, I am very irritated by the revolution diplomatic play not allowing the addition of other war goals. I should be able to tell France/Great Britain to gently caress off by tossing out a conquer/transfer subject/whatever when they interfere in a revolution of mine. As it stands it's just a great way for them to reset their truce without the possibility of losing anything in the war.

I've also been incredibly annoyed that as China with an absurd number of divisions fully kitted out with armor, air support, and chemical weapons, that nobody has actually stuck around to get into a war with me. It makes sense - getting into a war with me would be suicide. I just really wanted to pay Great Britain back for the Opium War by getting their pops dependent on mustard gas.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

As Russia, I supported a Polish Secession movement in Prussia. Everything's going great, winning battles, etc. Then the second war support on the Prussian side drops below 0% (while over 40% on the Polish side), they suddenly force a peace deal and crush the secession?! The gently caress?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Dirk the Average posted:

I've also been incredibly annoyed that as China with an absurd number of divisions fully kitted out with armor, air support, and chemical weapons, that nobody has actually stuck around to get into a war with me. It makes sense - getting into a war with me would be suicide. I just really wanted to pay Great Britain back for the Opium War by getting their pops dependent on mustard gas.

It is extremely weird that there's no way to just go "we want war, consequences be damned"

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

yeah, it seems to me like there should be some option to force war at the expense of a shitload more infamy

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I may not have understood the diplomatic play mechanic entirely, maybe others can correct me.

Say I'm the Ottomans. I want the various states Egypt has taken from me back. I make a "return state" diplomatic play against Egypt, targeting one of the six states, Adana. Then I can modify the diplomatic play, adding other states I want back to the play, up to a limit called "maneuvers", and costing me infamy for each additional state I add to the play.

Then, if Egypt goes to war and capitulates, I get everything in the diplomatic play - Adana and the other states I added. However, if Egypt capitulates before we go to war, I just get one state, Adana. I'm still stuck with all the infamy from demanding the other states though.

Is all that accurate? It seems wild that you can demand so much and be given so little. Or is there some other way to get all the states back in one go if Egypt doesn't want to fight?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Gort posted:

I may not have understood the diplomatic play mechanic entirely, maybe others can correct me.

Say I'm the Ottomans. I want the various states Egypt has taken from me back. I make a "return state" diplomatic play against Egypt, targeting one of the six states, Adana. Then I can modify the diplomatic play, adding other states I want back to the play, up to a limit called "maneuvers", and costing me infamy for each additional state I add to the play.

Then, if Egypt goes to war and capitulates, I get everything in the diplomatic play - Adana and the other states I added. However, if Egypt capitulates before we go to war, I just get one state, Adana. I'm still stuck with all the infamy from demanding the other states though.

Is all that accurate? It seems wild that you can demand so much and be given so little. Or is there some other way to get all the states back in one go if Egypt doesn't want to fight?

I believe you get the infamy from non-pressed claims at least partially refunded, but otherwise yes, that seems accurate.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Gort posted:

I don't think you get the infamy from the additional war goals if they back down? Or if you do that seems like a bug.

But yeah if they back down before you go to war you only get the initial war goal. You're meant to like delay mobilising or something to make it more likely that they'll go to war. But it feels like a system that needs work.

The craziest counter-intuitive diplomacy thing to me is that you have to make vassals angry before you can annex them. I think this is because they want annexation to happen via a diplomatic play so that other powers can potentially get involved, but the whole diplomatic play system assumes the two sides are antagonists.

Ideally for a situation like that you would be able to launch diplomatic plays against "the international community" as some abstract thing. Like "hey neighbours, I'm about to annex a puppet, that's cool right?" and then powers can intervene if they want.

fuf fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Nov 18, 2022

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Yeah, only being able to annex vassals that hate you seems like an odd choice, but at least the fix is easy - just let you annex vassals regardless of their opinion of you.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
In case anyone was wondering, going to war again with the country raiding my convoys seemed to partially fix the issue at least. Not a very consistent workaround but I'll take it.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

eXXon posted:

As Russia, I supported a Polish Secession movement in Prussia. Everything's going great, winning battles, etc. Then the second war support on the Prussian side drops below 0% (while over 40% on the Polish side), they suddenly force a peace deal and crush the secession?! The gently caress?

I saw this happen once, it was because the uprising ran out of money. If you anticipate it you can pay off their debt and bankroll them.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Gort posted:

Yeah, only being able to annex vassals that hate you seems like an odd choice, but at least the fix is easy - just let you annex vassals regardless of their opinion of you.

imo it would make sense to have an "integrate subject" option that doesn't require a diplomatic play but takes time and eats up bureaucracy or authority and requires high relations. But then leave the "annex subject" option there for when you're willing to start a war to speed things along. If it's a player being integrated then they can halt the process by expelling diplomats and forcing a diplomatic play for annexation.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Dirk the Average posted:

Treaty ports in general are in a weird place. If I conquer land that has a treaty port, somehow I am now obligated to uphold that treaty, even though I had nothing to do with the establishment of the port. I feel like it needs some sort of overhaul with a diplomatic play that lets you shut off the port for low/no infamy cost.

That's kinda what happened. Goa didn't go away until india invaded in the 60s and probably would have been more of an incident if portugal wasn't being run by fascist morons loving up across the globe

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

That's kinda what happened. Goa didn't go away until india invaded in the 60s and probably would have been more of an incident if portugal wasn't being run by fascist morons loving up across the globe

If Portugal wasn't run by fascist morons at the time then Goa would have probably been peacefully transferred to India like Pondicherry was by France. All that said, I wonder if the treaty port status is really correct for Goa and Pondicherry in the game. Obviously that was their original status, but I doubt by the 19th century they still had the same kind of access to Indian goods.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I jumped on colonizing Kenya before anyone else as Japan and had skirmish troops and mobile artillery. My general had over 40 battalions in his name. So I deployed my troops when I had a native uprising and we ended up having a gruelling 5 year war with the natives.

For whatever reason “Native Warbands” gives +400% to defence there and my modernized troops couldn’t press the offensive because they only had like 60-57 attack and the natives have 63 defence. So id attack these natives and they’d basically wound and slaughter all my troops. It’s like that movie last samurai but instead of samurai it’s African natives.

Really don’t understand why this is a thing. I also don’t understand what mechanic determines how a general commanding 40 battalions only attacks the front with 4 of them while the enemy gets to defend with 7. I had the advantage in numbers but I lost 50 battles because the defenders always outnumber me.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Magissima posted:

I saw this happen once, it was because the uprising ran out of money. If you anticipate it you can pay off their debt and bankroll them.

Ugh, that was probably it. Would be nice if there was some way to find out besides hovering over the war support tooltip, where I presume they would have been in the red for cash reserves.

On a similar note, I can't figure out what determines the number of radicals in political movements. Every game I've played there have been people on the cusp of revolting against Propertied Women or higher women's rights. I know IG leaders can vary in their opinions, but on the other extreme, as Russia I've already passed universal suffrage and proportional taxation, pissing off the gentry and church. They're at around 7% clout each. However, if I try to change from monarchy even to presidential republic, they flip the gently caress out and immediately 5M+ radicals join the movement to Preserve Monarchy. I can slow down revolution progress to ~1% per month but not stop it entirely. Then when I look at the tooltip it says almost the entire country will side with the gentry (and they do if I let the bar go to 100%). But... why? I mean I don't think deposing the tsar should be easy (I haven't yet been bold enough to click the option to execute him as I figured it would be a guaranteed revolt) but I don't understand how marginal IGs can get the entire country to side with them.

Kraftwerk posted:

I also don’t understand what mechanic determines how a general commanding 40 battalions only attacks the front with 4 of them while the enemy gets to defend with 7. I had the advantage in numbers but I lost 50 battles because the defenders always outnumber me.

I suspect it's a combination of a bug/bad design, but also accidentally being one of the few things stopping the player from painting the entire map their colour with any medium-sized country or above. I haven't seen any good suggestions as to how to get around it. Better generals help (keep hiring and firing new ones as long as you can afford the penalties). The internet suggests to open more fronts if you can, which in landlocked countries you can't. As Russia against the Ottomans I should have done some naval invasions because otherwise the game considers the Caucasus + Dobrudja/Bulgaria as one unified front (:rolleye:) so you can't just march down both sides of the Black Sea.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 18, 2022

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

trapped mouse posted:

I found it, the Bay of Biscay is still being raided even though I'm at peace. Any workarounds that people know of? Restarted the game multiple times to no avail.

I'm pretty sure it's not you being raided during peacetime, but rather it's the Brits you're under that are getting raided in one of their many wars, which is affecting the British market as a whole. I've seen it happen extremely frequently in my games where I turn up AI aggression and I'm playing an overseas junior member of a GP's market. It's probably the one major drawback to being in the British market (which otherwise is basically a no-brainer for any developing country).

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

It's less that they have the land - having the land is fine. It's that they get access to my market without tariffs that's the problem (and you can't embargo them). If I forcibly take a treaty port and, you know, establish a treaty where I get unfettered access to their market, then yeah, that should apply. If I conquer territory that has a treaty port, I should be able to tell their merchants to go pound sand and pay the tariffs. Hell, it should arguably be easier to enforce because there's just one tiny port rather than an entire land border.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pakled posted:

I really like nested tooltips, but I don't like extremely important information like what my pops are paying for their needs to be hidden behind a couple layers of nested tooltips.

Yeah. Nested tooltips are fine, but they shouldn't be the only way to find information. Seriously don't understand why this game doesn't have a ledger.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Kraftwerk posted:

I jumped on colonizing Kenya before anyone else as Japan and had skirmish troops and mobile artillery. My general had over 40 battalions in his name. So I deployed my troops when I had a native uprising and we ended up having a gruelling 5 year war with the natives.

For whatever reason “Native Warbands” gives +400% to defence there and my modernized troops couldn’t press the offensive because they only had like 60-57 attack and the natives have 63 defence. So id attack these natives and they’d basically wound and slaughter all my troops. It’s like that movie last samurai but instead of samurai it’s African natives.

Really don’t understand why this is a thing. I also don’t understand what mechanic determines how a general commanding 40 battalions only attacks the front with 4 of them while the enemy gets to defend with 7. I had the advantage in numbers but I lost 50 battles because the defenders always outnumber me.

There's a combat width mechanic or something, and defenders always have the chance to bring in more of their troops than attackers.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Maybe something like treaty ports only giving access to markets of unrecognized powers would work.

Anyway, I've sunk far to much time into this game, so here are my thoughts:

It's a good game that is almost completely unfinished. It feels like they had an okay proof of concept, a skeleton of ideas for features, and then spackled on enough duct tape and spit to make the first 10 or so in game years mostly work, and punted it out the door.

The UI is pretty poo poo* and unintuitive, esp. coming from EUIV, I find it deeply implausible that no one knew about the multiple backbreaking integer overflow errors. Some of the other bugs are more corner case-y, I can see those being deprioritized a bit.

That said, it pushes all my buttons and I want more. I'll probably play a few more games with different tags, just with the knowledge that some weird poo poo might crop up and force me to drop the campaign. Hoping for patches, I think in 3-4 patches and a DLC it has the potencial to be my favorite PDX game.

*particularly bad is stuff like dominion/puppet/vassal/whatever. It's super cool that the game has a lot of granularity in how one power dominates the other. Also, the only good UI improvement over EUIV is the nested tooltip. Why the hell dont the nested tooltip actually explain what the difference between a puppet and a dominion is? Other times key poo poo that should be in the main UI (like a green yes will accept, yellow will accept for obligation, red wont accept) are for some reason hidden behind a hover over in a nested tooltip after you tick a box. It is maddening. I'm a lot more forgiving on the performance issues and such, I imagine that's harder to do.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

bees everywhere posted:

imo it would make sense to have an "integrate subject" option that doesn't require a diplomatic play but takes time and eats up bureaucracy or authority and requires high relations. But then leave the "annex subject" option there for when you're willing to start a war to speed things along. If it's a player being integrated then they can halt the process by expelling diplomats and forcing a diplomatic play for annexation.

This sounds like an ideal solution. Peaceful annexation costs bureaucracy/diplomatic upkeep, just rolling tanks should be infamy/a play.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

the JJ posted:

Maybe something like treaty ports only giving access to markets of unrecognized powers would work.
Oh, but then I wouldn't be able to do fun things like grab a treaty port in Prussia as Japan and suck all the coal out of Germany.

But yeah, I think there should probably be a diplomatic relation that the port allows, but doesn't happen automatically based on the province.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Hellioning posted:

There's a combat width mechanic or something, and defenders always have the chance to bring in more of their troops than attackers.

Right. But they really need to do a better job of explaining the whole “Native War bands +400% defence” mechanic.

I don’t understand how a bunch of tribal irregulars and “conscripts” can with stand minie bullets and cannon fire.

Unless the whole point is to wait until you get machine guns before you can truly colonize Africa and I’m just ahistorically grabbing land in human wave charges.

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

In, "Rebels really need to be interactable with once the rebellion is over" updates, as Japan Hawaii broke free briefly, and was retaken, but it seems they colonised a tiny piece of South Island, which is now "Hawaii rebels" and can't be Played. I'm not at war with them at all though.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

the JJ posted:

There was a suggestion in the pdx forum of having them only work when the target is in a lower power class and Wiz replied that it was a good idea, so it seems likely we'll get something similar to this

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Kraftwerk posted:

Right. But they really need to do a better job of explaining the whole “Native War bands +400% defence” mechanic.

I don’t understand how a bunch of tribal irregulars and “conscripts” can with stand minie bullets and cannon fire.

Unless the whole point is to wait until you get machine guns before you can truly colonize Africa and I’m just ahistorically grabbing land in human wave charges.

It's an attempt to simulate guerilla warfare, though it is portrayed as being a singular battle with lines and all that, so I can understand the confusion.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Finished my first game with Austria Hungary, I had a good time but there's definitely a lot to clean up here. I saw a lot of revolutions/rebellions that would peter out because neither side would try to advance the front, plus the rebellions would face immediate rebellions of their own. At one point there were 5 Italy's in my game.

I'll probably wait on the next patch before my next game, which will be either Qing or Japan.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Pdox please create formable nation Kingdom of the Five Italies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2880441881&searchtext=rework

Anyone try this? Looks good without having to download 50 separate mods