Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

It begins. $1.25 per pound I had to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

honda whisperer posted:

It begins. $1.25 per pound I had to.

Hell yeah. That's why I bought three last week.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Here's mine from today:

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
My next door neighbor bought a traeger and knows I’m obsessed with smoking and wanted to show me what he was cooking this afternoon. I’m no expert, I just loving love smoking. I walked over to see the ribs he said he was cooking: cut individually during prep, floating in broth in a foil tray, on a smoker. Might as well have used the stove top bro 💀

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Bob A Feet posted:

My next door neighbor bought a traeger and knows I’m obsessed with smoking and wanted to show me what he was cooking this afternoon. I’m no expert, I just loving love smoking. I walked over to see the ribs he said he was cooking: cut individually during prep, floating in broth in a foil tray, on a smoker. Might as well have used the stove top bro 💀

:psyduck:

What? Why? Dear God why? Where would you ever get the idea to do this?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I live in Florida. The place where people offer to bring ribs to a Super Bowl party and they were made in the crock pot— like this dudes ribs. My wife is from Texas and has learned to tone down her expectations of “barbecue” from (most) other places in the country.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Zarin posted:

How long is smoked cheese good for?

I have some that I smoked about 10 or 11 months ago and immediately vacuum-sealed and forgot about in the back of my fridge. Probably because I over-smoked it so when it was fresh it was just too much, so I put the second batch in the back there to mellow out for 6 weeks and here we are. :v:

It . . . LOOKS just fine. My wife said she saw "6-9 months" on Google so it's not SO far past that I'm auto-noping it, but I figured I'd see if Goons had any thoughts.
Cheese is pretty much good if you don't see mold on it

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ROJO posted:

:psyduck:

What? Why? Dear God why? Where would you ever get the idea to do this?

There's two ways to get the meat to fall off the bone, one is low and slow the other is too pressure/boil it

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

Cheese is pretty much good if you don't see mold on it

Or, knowing my mum when I was growing up, it's still good if you cut off the half inch or so with the mould growing on it.

(:gonk:)

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Your mom was right

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

Gonna have to smoke these soon..

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

McSpankWich posted:

Your mom was right

Benjamin Disraeli
Oct 19, 2005

Let's have some fun
This beat is sick
Let's play a Love game!

Hasselblad posted:

I've found that local meat does not equate to better, at least as far as beef is concerned. Was all excited when an actual butcher set up shop here, and they advertised local beef (haven't tried their pork yet). The beef I got from them was short ribs and a brisket and neither were remotely as good as the (lower cost) stuff I could get at Cosco on any given day.

In my experience it depends on a few things when it comes to beef.

First, was the beef you were using grass fed? A couple of the more uppity butchers in the city near where I live claim to only sell grass fed (since it sells well with the Whole Foods type crowd), and they charge an arm and a leg for it. To me grass fed is too dry and gamey for most any cooking, not just BBQ. Far, far, far better tasting is grass fed and grain finished. Much better marbling (crucial for most BBQ) and without the gamey taste.

Second, the butcher itself makes a big difference. Many of the above mentioned yuppy butchers are getting big primal cuts of cows from big meat distributors and then just cutting them into various steaks, roasts, ground beef, etc. I've found those sort of places to be hit and miss quality wise. Where I have found consistent quality is by driving about 45 minutes out of town to a butcher in a small town surrounded by farms with cattle. At this place the live animals come in the back and the meat counter is up front. They know all the farmers that they are getting their beef from and, since they don't have a Whole Foods crowd to pander to, they don't grass fed but rather the above mentioned grain finished beef. It's loving amazing and I head up there once ever month or two to stock up. Also insanely cheaper than the grocery store or city butchers. We spent about a year of trying out tons of butchers, rural and city, before finally finding a place like this.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Hasselblad posted:

I've found that local meat does not equate to better, at least as far as beef is concerned.

Oh absolutely it's not a 1:1 relationship. I find smaller local farms means you can get things that just aren't available in stores. Vegetables that don't travel and store as well, but taste amazing. Heritage breed pigs that have been raised on pasture and have eaten a ton of acorns instead of barn raised pigs. Affordable cabrito thats actually available. But I live in Texas and everyone has cows. I know a handful of people who produce exceptional beef but otherwise it's hard to beat HEB quality meats. But when you do find a producer who has something great you don't ever want to let them go.

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

Thrasher posted:

Gonna have to smoke these soon..

Oh man..

7 hours @ 250, pulled at 203.

Thrasher fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 6, 2022

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Thrasher posted:

Oh man..

7 hours @ 250, pulled at 203.

Mesmerizing. Beautiful.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

12lb brisket, starting at 2:30 this afternoon so that it should be done by lunch tomorrow. Temps are in the low 30s now, low teens tonight, so probably going to wrap at the stall and finish in the oven indoors.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Didn't really hit a stall on this one, was a pretty steady climber. It was getting into the low teens outside, so I brought it in around 10pm @170, wrapped it in butcher paper, then stuck it in a 250 oven to finish. Hit 203 around 1:30am and I dropped oven to 170 where it is still resting now.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Did not suck

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Enos Cabell posted:

Did not suck

Beautiful.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Looks nice and juicy!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Thinking about cold smoking, building a wooden smoke shack, like 1x1m meters and maybe 2m tall structure. Probably something propane driven to make the smoke.

How plausible is it in winter months when the temps are below freezing? Maybe if you add insulation?

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

His Divine Shadow posted:

Thinking about cold smoking, building a wooden smoke shack, like 1x1m meters and maybe 2m tall structure. Probably something propane driven to make the smoke.

How plausible is it in winter months when the temps are below freezing? Maybe if you add insulation?

Are you planning on cold smoking frequently while its below freezing? The only real issue is keeping your product from freezing while it smokes. The heat from the propane should be enough.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Hard to say, probably I will try and keep cold smoking to spring and autumn. But if I start this project now I'm probably gonna be ready to try it out in time for the coldest time period of the year.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Hard to say, probably I will try and keep cold smoking to spring and autumn. But if I start this project now I'm probably gonna be ready to try it out in time for the coldest time period of the year.

Just looking at a few searches, it seems like rockwool would be your best option. The biggest question is if its worth the effort. That depends on you and your local temps.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'll probably just build it first without any. See how it works out. Think I'll make it smaller too.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'll say that for smoking in cold temps, a $15 welders blanket made a huge difference for me. I'd say I used easily half as many pellets with the blanket on compared to last time I smoked in similar temps.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I smoke all winter in the barn with my Masterbuilt Electric.
It holds temp plenty fine as long as its out of the wind.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Do any of you have a Pit Boss 5 series vertical pellet smoker? I recently moved to a second floor condo with a wood balcony. Grills are allowed but I don’t think I’m comfortable having a charcoal kettle up there, so I think I’m going to relegate mine to the garage to wheel out into the driveway for short to medium cooks. I want a vertical pellet smoker to save a bit of space, but also I’ve been using charcoal for a few years now and kind of just want easy mode for long smokes and the Pit Boss is pretty much right in my price range.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I have been digging into how to make ham. I asked the local smokery who makes one of my favorite hams (sauna smoked) and they said, google translated:

quote:

We smoke the meat in the following way: the meat is placed in a net, then it is salted. We injection salt the meat. This means 42 needles that inject the piece of meat at precise intervals. When the meat is salted, we put it in the smoke sauna.

We burn alder wood chips to get smoke, which is brought into the smoking sauna. After about 2 days, the meat is ready.

Our product loses approx. 20% of its raw weight in the smoking process.

I believe sauna smoked ham is smoked at 80C but I wonder if they really smoke it for 80C straight two days or if the temp just steadily gets lowered.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I have a copy of Charcuterie and Project Smoke which both I think cover scratch made ham.

I'll grab you a shot of the recipes once I'm off this block of conference calls.

EDIT: it looks like your thought of the temp getting dropped over time is correct from one recipe, but opposite on the second. :shrug:

Charcuterie:
Goes hot smoke to cold smoke

Project Smoke:
Goes cold smoke to hot smoke.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 18, 2022

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

toplitzin posted:

I have a copy of Charcuterie and Project Smoke which both I think cover scratch made ham.

I'll grab you a shot of the recipes once I'm off this block of conference calls.

EDIT: it looks like your thought of the temp getting dropped over time is correct from one recipe, but opposite on the second. :shrug:

Charcuterie:
Goes hot smoke to cold smoke

Project Smoke:
Goes cold smoke to hot smoke.

Counter point:
https://lifehacker.com/sous-vide-an-always-sunny-rum-ham-that-would-make-frank-1848157451

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Just skip the water step entirely and fill the home depot bucket with rum and put the immersion circulator and ham directly inside

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Nostalgia post: spotted this in the waffleimages archive:

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

This inkbird temp controller is on sale on UK Amazon. Is it any good?

Wachter fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 19, 2022

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

what temp are y’all smoking your spatchcocked turkeys at this year?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

sellouts posted:

what temp are y’all smoking your spatchcocked turkeys at this year?

275-300F. Got two smaller birds this year so I'm gonna smoke one and rotisserie the other.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm smoking a ham because my wife and I have decided that we really don't love turkey and it's just us for Thanksgiving this year.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

We went with a ham too but mostly because we can make pea soup afterwards with that sweet hock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do
Smoking a brisket, as is tradition. Should I spatchcock it?